ANNOUNCEMENT: Sun 'n Fun Mirror - Maryland - Sat, 6/21

Old college threads.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Sun 'n Fun Mirror - Maryland - Sat, 6/21

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I would imagine that Ian himself is CLEVERly playing as "Feldman".
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

"VCU" (with ~50% of our points scored by Chris Ray) won, going undefeated. Lafer/Westbrook were second. Maryland and Brown were third in some sort of ambiguous tie caused by not counting forfeits against a team that had car issues.

The questions were strange in the expected way.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Full results are up here: http://www.doc-ent.com/quizbowl/snf08/S ... dings.html

Thanks to everyone who came, and all the moderators who helped out. I'll be sending out a full wrap up message tomorrow.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

evilmonkey wrote:
Bentley Like Beckham wrote:Live update stats during lunch: http://doc-ent.com/quizbowl/snf08/SunNF ... dings.html

Caltech Alums only played two games because they had a flat tire and got here late.
How is Feldman on both Team Feldman AND Ian Eppler's team?
Ian Eppler played as "Feldman" for mysterious reasons.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

The questions were difficult in a way was that was discouraging for me. For example, 7 tossups went dead in our game against UMD. Whether it's that Magin and Shantanu aren't good enough/weren't playing well enough or that the questions were too ambitious, who knows.
What bothered me more was that the books given out at the end were pretty horrible. I'm completely serious about this: if you are going to give out books out at all, please make sure that they are not just some random, useless things no one would want... (Edit: yeah, I apologize. It was uncalled for.)
Last edited by aestheteboy on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

aestheteboy wrote:What bothered me more was that the books given out at the end were pretty horrible. I'm completely serious about this: if you are going to give out books out at all, please make sure that they are not just some random, useless things no one would want...
Daichi, the books were Brittany's that she donated as prizes so she could get rid of them before moving to Seattle. Chillax.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

aestheteboy wrote: What bothered me more was that the books given out at the end were pretty horrible. I'm completely serious about this: if you are going to give out books out at all, please make sure that they are not just some random, useless things no one would want...
1) the team hosting the tournament decides how they'd want to give books as prizes

2) these books may or may not be to your liking

3) it's not their fault if it isn't
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

aestheteboy wrote:What bothered me more was that the books given out at the end were pretty horrible. I'm completely serious about this: if you are going to give out books out at all, please make sure that they are not just some random, useless things no one would want...
please provide approved list of books before all future events so i can ensure your book winning happiness is achieved and you can reach literary nirvana
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I don't know, I think he has something of a general point: Give out books as prizes that people will get actual academic or entertainment value out of, not fantasy paperbacks or other niche schlock. I don't know if this really applies to today's tournament specifically, since there were a good amount of real books mixed in for the top scorers to take, and the rest of the stuff was just a free-for-all book giveaway for whoever wanted something, but in case any future tournaments were thinking of giving out fantasy or romance paperbacks or other "hilarious" gag prizes to the actual top players, please don't.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

We got destroyed.
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

wowitsquinthaha wrote:We got destroyed.
Doesn't matter; two high school sophomores playing without any help at a tournament like this one are to be commended regardless of how you finished.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

We had a lot of fun, though. By the way, Magin is now my favorite.
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Yeah there would have been more real books as prizes, but I forgot to bring them. If you're coming to ASS tomorrow you can get a chance to pick some of these up.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Matt Weiner wrote:I don't know, I think he has something of a general point...
For some reason, when I initially read the post I thought that it was more of a "I didn't like these books, so they suck" kind of deal. My bad, and I apologize for the previous post.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

So, I just want to say that I found this tourney quite enjoyable. I appreciate the efforts of Ahmad and the others who contributed to this set. It was absolutely worth my rather considerable drive down to Maryland to play this event. I don't think anyone should jump on Daichi for the book comment - there probably should have been more books of academic import, but like Weiner said, most of them were just there as part of a general giveaway.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
stevengfeldman
Lulu

Post by stevengfeldman »

I enjoyed this tournament ... however, I did feel that the answer choice at times seemed to be very obscure and there were also a fair amount of questions that could have been better written ... also, the questions tended to not be very clue-dense ... but overall, the tournament was fun, I enjoyed myself and I am now motivated to learn about some of the more obscure answer choices ...