Minnesota '07-'08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Minnesota '07-'08

Post by AKKOLADE »

LeCoqRouge wrote:Where are these rumors of bad questions eminating from? That seems like a possible breach of question security, I'm sure NAQT would like to find out about that.
:w-hat:

People sharing their general views on a set of questions is, like, not a violation of question security.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Well based on the fact that past few IS sets this year blew, I can infer that this set will suck. And it was the CUT set, and the response I got from some of those players was that the set...sucked. And I am not going to start on this home field advantage stuff you are spouting

By the way, you never said who you were.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

I too have heard bad things about these packets in IS-76, which makes me excited for the prospect of pulling an upset somewhere. I mean, with bad packets and home field advantage there is no end to whom we can upset. On a more serious note, my predictions, through the top 10 to add excitement, go as follows:(assuming all these teams attend at normal strength)
1. Eden Prairie A
2. Chaska A
3. Wayzata A
4. Eden Prairie B
5. Wayzata B
6. Minnetonka A
7. Orono A
8. Edina A
9. Eden Prairie C
10. Rosemount

I challenge people to come up with a more correct ranking than my own. After about the top 2 it gets tougher. If interest is actually high enough (as in 1 person responds), we'll score these tomorrow evening and see who's guessing reigns supreme.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
LeCoqRouge
Lulu

Post by LeCoqRouge »

I propose:

1. Eden Prairie A
2. Chaska A
3. Eden Prairie B
4. Orono A
5. Wayzata A
6. Wayzata B
7. Minnetonka
8. Eden Prairie C
9. Edina A
10. Rosemount

As Orono has shown to be able to get second on IS sets earlier this year, and EP B has apperantly won a tournament earlier in the year (Could someone explain this?)

And in response to your inquiry as to my identity, I had tried to post a reply along the lines of "I AM ZE COQ ROUGE!", but I was most unfortunately censored by the draconian administrators.
Patrick Johnson, Edina Quiz Bowl
From the land of the Imperial Skateboard Assassin:

Le Coq Rouge
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

LeCoqRouge wrote:And in response to your inquiry as to my identity, I had tried to post a reply along the lines of "I AM ZE COQ ROUGE!", but I was most unfortunately censored by the draconian administrators.
your reply was funny only to yourself, so don't go criticizing the administrators for being "draconian".
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

LeCoqRouge wrote:And in response to your inquiry as to my identity, I had tried to post a reply along the lines of "I AM ZE COQ ROUGE!", but I was most unfortunately censored by the draconian administrators.
And I'll continue being "draconian" as long as you continue being "a schmuck."
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

LeCoqRouge wrote:As Orono has shown to be able to get second on IS sets earlier this year, and EP B has apperantly won a tournament earlier in the year (Could someone explain this?)
I can only wonder where you get your information, as to my recollections Orono got second only in the state league, a petty version of the actual quizbowl available in this state. Otherwise, Chaska (or Wayzata at SOCIAL) has swept almost all the second place trophies, save at GINVIT. GINVIT is your tournament in question, wherein EPB upset their A team in the finals to win the tournament. However, you've not considered (or researched) the fact that such teams as Chaska, Wayzata, or Orono were absent from this tournament, with at least Chaska and Wayzata having faired well against EPB in other tournaments. However, I don't want to come across too snooty, and I think your prediction has as much a chance as proving true as mine does. I just wanted to make sure you were considering all the factors correctly in making your decisions.
Carsten Gehring
LeCoqRouge
Lulu

Post by LeCoqRouge »

First, since Eden Prairie B has beaten Eden Prairie A, the state champions, I would assume they are somewhat good/really good (because the only other team to beat EP thus far is ranked 1st in the nation). Second, I don't think Orono has come to a lot of invitational tournaments, so the fact that they haven't gotten 2nd place at any tournament isn't a compelling argument for why they are bad. Also, I'm sensing a lot of anti-lecoqrouge feelings on this forum. Can't we all just get along?

Le Coq Rouge
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Well, I mean, you kind of invite that when you refuse to let us know who you are.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

The tournament included many close games, or so I've heard, and the results were somewhat unexpected. Here they are as best as I can recall:
1. EPA
2. Minnetonka A
3. Chaska A
4. Wayzata A
5. Wayzata B
5. Eden Prairie B
5. Orono A
5. Never found out who this spot went to, either Orono B or St. Thomas/Visitation

I think the questions reminded me why I hate NAQT's randomness, but of course I'll avoid discussing anything specific. Our game against Chaska I think partially exemplified this, as a late 0 on a weird bonus helped cause our 5 point loss. As for the predictions, I believe the mysterious Coq got 3 points for EPA, Wayzata B, and Edina's placements, while I got 4 points for EPA, Wayzata B, Orono A, and EPC (based on accepting 5-8 teams in any order and 9-16 teams in any order). I believe that the rules of our guessing was that the loser says who they are, as stated here:
official rules wrote:Who are you LeCoqRouge
Carsten Gehring
thinkphrenetic
Kimahri

Post by thinkphrenetic »

5. Never found out who this spot went to, either Orono B or St. Thomas/Visitation
Orono B took this spot.
Saraya, Orono
I am not bound to please thee with my answers- Shakespeare
theattachment
Rikku

Post by theattachment »

LeCoqRouge wrote:First, since Eden Prairie B has beaten Eden Prairie A, the state champions, I would assume they are somewhat good/really good (because the only other team to beat EP thus far is ranked 1st in the nation).
I think it was but can't recall if this was discussed earlier in the thread and don't feel like looking, but EP A and B were basically combined, then kinda random versions of each other. It ended up as the two years ago B team of Shonts, Anant, Sam, and Manuel versus Michael, Igor, Parry (who never shows due to debate/speech/other bad excuses) and me. While B is good, they're not usually that good.
LeCoqRouge wrote:Second, I don't think Orono has come to a lot of invitational tournaments, so the fact that they haven't gotten 2nd place at any tournament isn't a compelling argument for why they are bad.
They've been to two, as well as Macalester. In all three of those, they lost in the quarters (which they also did today). Again, they're good, but extrapolating their 2nd in the league playoffs may have been unwise.
LeCoqRouge wrote:Also, I'm sensing a lot of anti-lecoqrouge feelings on this forum. Can't we all just get along?
Not until we take your mask off and reveal this secret identity of yours.

As for actual road stories of today... first, there were some (as usual) suspect questions, but they weren't egregiously bad. Not great, but not as terrible as some of the reviews had been. There were a lot more close matches than I expected, as well as some losses that I totally didn't expect. For EP A, it was odd playing two rounds with three players and the rest of the prelims with Shonts suffering from a migraine. Minnetonka scared us until we woke up; after that, we were alright.
Colin O'Donnell -- ex-Eden Prairie High School (man, that feels nice to say), eventually University of Minnesota
LeCoqRouge
Lulu

Post by LeCoqRouge »

Yes, "Shonts had a migraine" and "We were asleep for the first 3/4 of our match with Minnetonka" are good excuses. Some would even call them great excuses. I would just call them good excuses, though. Is there some other more nefarious reason as to why you did so badly against Minnetonka?

Le Coq Rouge
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

LeCoqRouge wrote:Yes, "Shonts had a migraine" and "We were asleep for the first 3/4 of our match with Minnetonka" are good excuses. Some would even call them great excuses. I would just call them good excuses, though. Is there some other more nefarious reason as to why you did so badly against Minnetonka?
You are getting more and more tedious by the minute.

About the tournament, I thought the set was around the level of other IS sets this year, which isn't saying much. The tournament was very well run though.
Christian Carter
PACE Member (retired)
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

LeCoqRouge wrote:Yes, "Shonts had a migraine" and "We were asleep for the first 3/4 of our match with Minnetonka" are good excuses. Some would even call them great excuses. I would just call them good excuses, though. Is there some other more nefarious reason as to why you did so badly against Minnetonka?
Why haven't the administrators looked up your IP and unmasked you yet?
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
theattachment
Rikku

Post by theattachment »

Maybe if we stop feeding him, he'll forget there's food.

As to Chris's comment, I'd agree that it was well-run, though there were a few sub-par readers. I think a lot of that is attributable to the U being at ACF, making it so Andrew, Rob, Bernadette and Gautam weren't around. It didn't slow things down too badly, mainly because most of the Carleton readers (I think they were all from there. If I'm wrong let me know) are at about the same speed level.
Colin O'Donnell -- ex-Eden Prairie High School (man, that feels nice to say), eventually University of Minnesota
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

theattachment wrote:As to Chris's comment, I'd agree that it was well-run, though there were a few sub-par readers. I think a lot of that is attributable to the U being at ACF, making it so Andrew, Rob, Bernadette and Gautam weren't around. It didn't slow things down too badly, mainly because most of the Carleton readers (I think they were all from there. If I'm wrong let me know) are at about the same speed level.
I do agree with that, but it is one of those things nobody really has much control over. Although scheduling the state meet at the same time as CBI and ACF Nats was a bad idea.
Christian Carter
PACE Member (retired)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

SwissBoy wrote:
Why haven't the administrators looked up your IP and unmasked you yet?
Because, unless another screen name has posted from the same IP, the most you can get is the city the IP originates from. And there's no shortage of people in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Fred Morlan
klwalton33
Lulu

Please come to the Armstrong tourney!!!

Post by klwalton33 »

I'd like to REALLY pump up the final MN NAQT tournament of the year - May 17th at Robbinsdale Armstrong.

For those that don't know, RA may end up losing their program as the school has had to slash budgets for many academic activities. Coach Quinn and Armstrong have had a very good program over the past few years (even pulling off some major upsets to win the Classic Lake this year) and we as a community should do all we can to help keep their program alive. I am trying hard to get 4, maybe even 5 teams from EP to this tourney (if most of our kids play, we should hit that number) and I would love all programs to do the same. Please push your coaches hard to go to this!! (it's a solid warmup for nationals too)

Also -- for those of you that stay in touch with Alumni or have coaches that would be interested, there is a separate tourney that day for non-HS players. Please promote this to anyone you know that might be interested!! Coach Lenius and I are talking about combining to try and relive some of those 1994-95 memories (or prove to ourselves once and for all that we aren't even close to where we were then, or where you are all now -- and that won't be hard to prove)
Kirk Walton
Chaska HS player (1993-1995)
Eden Prairie HS Coach (2004-2008)
Proud Pop Culture Nerd (since 1976)
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Minnesota QBers,

If you didn't get the flier at NAQT state, the University of Minnesota quizbowl club will again be sponsoring summer quizbowl practices for high schoolers this year. The practices will again take place at my house in Chanhassen. This year, we will have separate rooms with appropriate questions for both high schoolers and experienced college players. As always, we'll have beverages and snacks.

Practices will be on Wednesdays from 6-9 (we usually go later, and it usually devolves into video games at some point).

If you want to get involved, please send me an email at [email protected]. The first practice will likely be either the last week of May or first week of June.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
sam.peterson
Lulu

Post by sam.peterson »

I'm looking for opinions/info on ACE Quiz Bowl Camps, namely:

-Is it beneficial for an already decent player?
-Are there pros/cons to the various sites?
-If you've gone, what did you think?
-Are you going this year? Which week?

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Sam Peterson
Harvard College '13
Chaska High School '09
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

sam.peterson wrote: -Is it beneficial for an already decent player?
I don't know if these ideas apply to you specifically, but for me...: The first year I went, I was coming off a sophomore year during which we'd had a very successful campaign as a JV team (read: I was "already decent", at least for that level). I admit, I thought pretty highly of myself/our team... and then I went to ACE and met these two guys named Charlie Dees and Dallas Simons (among other excellent players at camp that year, too), who showed me just how crappy I was. For some reason I was thrust into the top room twice out of the three practice days, and Charlie and Dallas (I remember Charlie specifically. No offense to Dallas) were ridiculously dominant. If nothing else, the embarrassment I had at managing to answer like 5 or so tossups out of [however many we read. Way more than 5.] against them inspired me to get better. Before that, I had just been stupidly thinking of myself as really good, even though I didn't do any studying whatsoever. So, among other reasons, the fact that I got to meet/play against some of the top talents in the country made my experiences worthwhile. I'll leave it to Dallas (who attended this past summer) and some others to confirm whether if you're already extremely good like they are, ACE is worthwhile. However, I imagine it is... things like "you get to play in a competitive environment against respectable-at-worst competition" and "you spend a few solid days focused intensely on quizbowl [rather than, say, any other random week of the summer where you might get distracted from it, despite good intentions]" apply to everyone.
sam.peterson wrote: -Are there pros/cons to the various sites?
The instruction plan was the same for the SEMO and PC (southeast) locations last year, but I know the Maryland site was structured a little differently. I don't know enough about the MD site, so I can't comment on how well it worked compared to the other two. Other than that, the only difference I can think of would be the fact that the competition might look a little different depending on where you go. For instance, at the PC site this past summer, I got to play against the Dorman players and top players from other schools like James Island, Brookwood, etc., and I know at Maryland they had more than a few recognizable names, too.
sam.peterson wrote: -If you've gone, what did you think?
Pretty awesome. Like I've been saying, I think the best thing about it for me was being first inspired to get better as a player (1st year) and being able to play against certain top individuals in the summer and gauge how well my team and I could expect to do in the upcoming year (2nd year). They also give you some pretty useful information packets, if you're really lazy like me and like to have things on hand rather than *gasp* looking for them yourself. But seriously, they've got some pretty good compilations, so that's definitely a plus, and you learn useful stuff in class too.
sam.peterson wrote: -Are you going this year? Which week?
Unfortunately, I'm graduating. I wish I had known earlier how good it was so that I could've gone between freshman and sophomore year. The only thing I can do now is encourage the younger players on my team to go, and I was pretty successful at that last year.

However, I hope to return to camp anyway this year, as an aide/helper/whatever they're calling it. Hint hint, if anyone in that position of authority is reading this.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

1. Is it beneficial for an already decent player?

As Adam already said, the great thing about the ACE camps is that you get a real idea of what "decent player" actually means. You are able to get a much better sense of your individual development and how you stack up against other players across the country by competing at least twice a day against them. You can really see how you stack up against other people who care about quizbowl. Another great aspect of camp is that whether you are roughly in the top 5 players at camp or the bottom 5 players, you will get quality competition and instruction, and I guarantee you will learn lots and lots of thing you didn't know--so yes, its beneficial.

2. Are there pros/cons to the various sites?

The structure used at the Maryland location last year will be implemented at all three camps this year. This means 3 medium sized classes of semi-specific subjects as opposed to one major class and two minor ones. With regards to that, all three sites are the same. The numbers and competition at the three locations will be quite different. I understand that there were fewer campers at the Maryland location, however, this did include more players from schools that don't normally attend ACE, namely the mid-atlantic powerhouses. If you attend the Milligan camp you will be playing against many of the players from teams who are known throughout the southeastern circuit, which being from Chaska, is something you dont often get to do. This goes back to the first point that it is really interesting to play against not only the best from Minnesota or any other specific state, but pretty much the entire country. They have the same great staff, classes, and tournaments at all three sites.

3. If you've gone, what did you think?

I have attended the ACE quizbowl camps the last three years and I know without a doubt that they've helped me develop as a quizbowl player. One thing that many people dont take into account, although it might sound wierd, is the social? aspect. If you go with teammates, its a great bonding experience, and you have somebody there to motivate you to work hard and be successful, and younger or less-experienced players are often encouraged by the older or more-experienced players. One thing I was surprised that I got out of camp was making friends with players from other teams--you come to realize that these people care about the same things that you care about. Somebody who already has an interest in the game will usually come out of camp having been more motivated than ever to be a serious competitor.

All in all, camp is definitely worth it, if for no other reason, as Adam said, than because you've got nothing else to do during one week over the summer, and hey, quizbowl is awesome.
Nick
sam.peterson
Lulu

Post by sam.peterson »

Thanks for responding, Adam and Nick, I appreciate your feedback. If anybody else has thoughts on this I'd love to hear them.
Sam Peterson
Harvard College '13
Chaska High School '09
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

I didn't find the ACE camp to be very helpful in terms of improvement. It was a worthy experience, nonetheless, just because it gave me the opportunity to meet a lot of the best quizbowl players in high school, in and outside of quizbowl.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
klwalton33
Lulu

Re: Please come to the Armstrong tourney!!!

Post by klwalton33 »

Say -- who all is coming to the Armstrong Tourney? Both teams and players for the "Open" part of the tournament?
Kirk Walton
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I'm still waiting to hear back on what set they're using. I will probably be moderating, regardless.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

theMoMA wrote:I'm still waiting to hear back on what set they're using. I will probably be moderating, regardless.
I believe I will be moderating as well.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Depending on what Coach Quinn emails me back, I will either be stat keeping or playing the open tournament.
Christian Carter
PACE Member (retired)
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Can you guys tell me anything about MASQUE? Anyone planning to play?
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

cornfused wrote:Can you guys tell me anything about MASQUE? Anyone planning to play?
It's likely to take place on June 28, starting at 10 AM.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Well, yeah. But what kind of field is it going to get?
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

cornfused wrote:Well, yeah. But what kind of field is it going to get?
I really don't know. Various local personalities usually play. The team of Brian Weikle and Matt Marta usually does pretty well.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

I'm going to try and play... not sure yet, though.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

mrichardquinn
Lulu

Post by mrichardquinn »

Armstrong's open tournament is a go. Hope to see people there Saturday. (See the tourney announcement forum for details or e-mail me at matt_quinn @ rdale.k12.mn.us)

-Matt Quinn- Armstrong Quiz Bowl Coach
Matt Quinn
Armstrong Quiz Bowl Coach 2000-2016
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

I will let Coach Quinn do an official announcement in the other thread, but the stats are posted from todays HS tourney at http://quizbowlpackets.com/acronym/high ... dings.html
Christian Carter
PACE Member (retired)
theattachment
Rikku

Post by theattachment »

So because the last in-state tournament of the season just happened, let's look forward to next year. Who all will reload their teams and be awesome next year?

My team to beat is Chaska A. Sam has proven beastly this year and still has some room for improvement that I predict he will fill. I don't know about who else they return, but unless EP finds a way to annex Chanhassen (which for Sam at least Kirk would) I can't really pick against them.
EP graduates six players. The problem is, four are on A (Michael, Igor, Shonts, and myself), one is on B (Anant), and one captains C (Manuel). I doubt severely that we'll bounce back right away, but we do have other Sam to not totally run us into the ground and a large set of to-be juniors (Tony, Gaurav, Robin, Neil) to build a team from.
Wayzata also graduates their A team but keeps Noah. I haven't seen him recently enough to see if he's progressing. I don't know if he can one-man team all the way to victory and don't really know who else comes back, but they've got a chance.
Minnetonka keeps Friedman and Mike, so they'll probably be good.
The dark horse/knight is South because Christian is there and rules at life. He definitely has the ability to destroy next year, but from what I've seen he's better at college stuff than high school.

I'll predict a revolving top three at most to all tournaments next year: Chaska, EP, and one of those other three. I put Chaska and EP solidly because I think there's a small but existent class drop between the returning players from there right now.

Let me know if I'm wrong on graduation/if Chris Heffner plans to fail all of his classes this semester to repeat.
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

I pretty much agree with all the stuff that Colin has said, but I feel like getting my two cents worth in, so:

Chaska will definitely be tough to beat, as Sam should continue to improve heading into the new season.
From what I've seen of EP's youth, they seem like they have the capabilities to stay strong next year, although there should be a drop off in dominance due to the A team all departing.
Wayzata will pretty much stay the same, with our current B team probably continuing to place in the top 5 or so thanks to Noah's NAQT proficiency. I don't really see them improving much, since my school has a notorious lack of effort outside of the current graduating team, although I may have influenced a couple of players to actually study beyond just reading old NAQT packets once a week.
Minnetonka will continue to do well on NAQT with Friedman leading the way, as he has been the core of Tonka's A team for the past few years.
I also agree with Colin's pick of Minneapolis South gaining a spot in the top 5, as Chris has the drive to become a strong player on the MN circuit next year.
I haven't looked too closely at what's happening to other strong teams from this year, but I believe that most teams who have done well (Orono/Edina/etc.) are graduating some of their strongest players.
Carsten Gehring
sam.peterson
Lulu

Post by sam.peterson »

I fear Tony Leng of EP. Dude is getting really good. That's all I have to add...
Sam Peterson
Harvard College '13
Chaska High School '09
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

I agree quite a bit with what has been said. EP and Chaska are looking to be pretty strong as usual. Seeing Saturday's stats for EPs returning players was pretty scary, and Sam will continue to lead Chaska to victory.

However, I do not think that South will be a contender for third place next year. Although I am getting better and the returning members of the team are on board with studying and getting better, none of us are at that point yet, and we are graduating some of our better NAQT players. If we get a new player who is very dedicated like I am though, I believe we could possibly be in the top 5 at some tournaments.

So tournaments next year? Besides the normal NAQT things, I hear the U will hold one or two more house written, EP may be writing one, and I am writing one in collaboration with Ian Eppler from GDS. Any others?
Christian Carter
PACE Member (retired)
theattachment
Rikku

Post by theattachment »

cdcarter wrote:So tournaments next year? Besides the normal NAQT things, I hear the U will hold one or two more house written, EP may be writing one, and I am writing one in collaboration with Ian Eppler from GDS. Any others?
EP's already writing EPIC, but that doesn't really count. There's sparingly little talk of writing a tournament with more talk of hosting mirrors, but I honestly don't know anything outside of the fact that Sam and I will probably write a lot of EPIC this summer.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Anyone willing to come out to Lawrence next spring for a tourney? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5588
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

theattachment
Rikku

Post by theattachment »

I guess this is safe to leak...

Kirk Walton, EP's intrepid coach, is stepping down to spend time with his family, namely his trophy-eating son Brady, and will likely change his role in local Quiz Bowl to moderating. As of yet, no replacement has been named. This means that EPHS's Activities Department is looking for people to apply. People even remotely interested in the position are strongly encouraged to contact Ms. Schmitt in the Activities Office (I don't have her contact info on hand, but it's somewhere at http://www.edenpr.org/ephs)

Kirk will definitely be missed in the program. He started when EP's seniors were freshmen and oversaw the development of the team into what it is today. His leadership has been invaluable to the team. I hope that his successor can come close to filling his shoes.
klwalton33
Lulu

Post by klwalton33 »

theattachment wrote:I guess this is safe to leak...

Kirk Walton, EP's intrepid coach, is stepping down to spend time with his family, namely his trophy-eating son Brady, and will likely change his role in local Quiz Bowl to moderating. As of yet, no replacement has been named. This means that EPHS's Activities Department is looking for people to apply. People even remotely interested in the position are strongly encouraged to contact Ms. Schmitt in the Activities Office (I don't have her contact info on hand, but it's somewhere at http://www.edenpr.org/ephs)

Kirk will definitely be missed in the program. He started when EP's seniors were freshmen and oversaw the development of the team into what it is today. His leadership has been invaluable to the team. I hope that his successor can come close to filling his shoes.
Wow -- thanks for the kind words Colin, I appreciate it.

Yes it's certainly safe to leak. I am looking forward to staying involved with the Quiz Bowl community, no question about that. I'll miss the time as head coach but with my "other" job becoming busier and busier, my wife going back to work next year, and the early stages of Brady's life, it seemed like a good time to transition out.

To second Colin's point -- we'd LOVE to hear from anyone that may have interest in coaching the program. Please feel free to email me at klwalton33 AT hot mail DOT com if you'd like more info and I can definitely put you in touch with Mrs. Schmitt.

Thanks to everyone who has made MN Quiz Bowl so enjoyable the past 4 years....
Kirk Walton
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

How much does it pay?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
klwalton33
Lulu

Post by klwalton33 »

Matt Weiner wrote:How much does it pay?
That's probably best communicated over email. Please feel free to drop me a line.
Kirk Walton
LeCoqRouge
Lulu

Post by LeCoqRouge »

I feel like if you have to ask that question, the job is probably not right for you. No offence.

Le Coq Rouge
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

LeCoqRouge wrote:I feel like if you have to ask that question, the job is probably not right for you. No offence.
Obviously wanting to find out if a cross-country move would be financially sustainable is a sign of lack of dedication. Yup.
Fred Morlan
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

LeCoqRouge wrote:I feel like if you have to ask that question, the job is probably not right for you. No offence.
I guess I should infer there's no big signing bonus. ... :cry:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

If the next post you make doesn't have your name/school affiliation in the signature you are banned.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.