Announcement: ASS II - Maryland - Sun, 6/22

Old college threads.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Announcement: ASS II - Maryland - Sun, 6/22

Post by Mike Bentley »

The Maryland Academic Quiz Team is pleased to announce the second incarnation of the Atlantic Seaboard Skirmish (or ASS for short), which will be taking place on Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 at the University of Maryland College Park. We will also be holding a mirror of Sun 'n Fun on the previous day, Saturday, June 21st. There potentially will be some side tournaments on that same weekend as well, although this is not yet certain.

This will be a themed trash tournament house written by Maryland. I, Mike Bentley, will be serving as the head editor for this tournament. The themes will be general ones rather than on specific subjects. For example, the "Show Within a Show" packet from last year's tournament is fair game, while the "Music and Sports" packet is not. The current plan is to have around 10 rounds and a final for this tournament.

PRICING:

+$80 - Base fee per team.
-$10 - Discount for second team from a school.
-$20 - Discount for third or more team from a school.
-$5 - Discount per school for a working buzzer.
-$10 - Discount per school for an experienced moderator.
-$10 - Travel discount per team for coming from over 150 miles one way to play in the tournament.
Minimum fee per team: $50

ELIGIBILITY:

As with ASS I and Chris McCray, this tournament will be geared towards current college undergraduates. However, the tournament will be open to anyone who is interested. You do not need to have any affiliation with a college or high school to play in this tournament, and teams from multiple schools are free to be created.

SUBJECT MATTER WARNING:

Younger players should be advised that this tournament will likely contain "adult" language and possibly adult themes. While we will strive to make sure there nothing very explicit, there will probably be material only appropriate for an R rated movie in this tournament. If you have any questions about this, please feel free to contact me by e-mailing me at [email protected].

FREELANCE QUESTIONS:

If you are interested in writing some freelance questions or a freelance packet, let me know by e-mailing me at [email protected].

MIRRORING:

UTC will be mirroring this tournament as their Summer Camp tournament. If any other schools are interested in mirroring, please contact me at [email protected].

REGISTERING:

To register for this tournament, please contact me, Mike Bentley, at [email protected]. Let me know how many teams you're bringing and if you think you qualify for any discounts.

I will be sending out details about the specifics of where to meet as the tournament date draws near.

Hope to see everyone in June,
Mike Bentley
Tournament Director
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: Announcement: ASS II - Maryland - Sun, 6/22

Post by Mike Bentley »

Well, Stanford was taking way too long to update their archive so here are the packets for the previous two Maryland tournament:

ASS: http://www.doc-ent.com/quizbowl/ASS.zip
Chris McCray: http://www.doc-ent.com/quizbowl/cmkfinalpackets.zip
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

See below for field update.
Last edited by Mike Bentley on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Mike Bentley
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

If anyone wants a free agent for this, I could probably find a way down to Maryland for the day, if not as an excuse to visit the campus. Although I might try to see if anyone else on my team wants to go.

Edit: Took a look at the packets, and I definitely think that I need to read these at our next QB practice as we're running low on questions and its the end of the year.
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Why don't you read appropriate questions from academic tournaments for your high school practices instead? I mean, I have no problem with Mike's trash tournaments, but it seems like a horrible idea to run high school quizbowl practices on trash.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Deesy Does It wrote:Why don't you read appropriate questions from academic tournaments for your high school practices instead? I mean, I have no problem with Mike's trash tournaments, but it seems like a horrible idea to run high school quizbowl practices on trash.
It's the end of the year, my seniors have stopped caring, we have no tournaments and we've gone through our entire packet stockpile (Along with ones I've printed off the internet and a couple college packets). One round of these would be harmless and may actually get some people who usually don't participate with the academic stuff to wake up and maybe get excited.
Nick Petrilli
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

TheCzarMan wrote:It's the end of the year, my seniors have stopped caring, we have no tournaments and we've gone through our entire packet stockpile (Along with ones I've printed off the internet and a couple college packets). One round of these would be harmless and may actually get some people who usually don't participate with the academic stuff to wake up and maybe get excited.
So because it's the end of the year, you want packets that don't exist yet and will not in fact be released until it's actually the beginning of next year in high school academic calendar terms, because you've somehow gone through the 7,114 (actual number) packets that are available as free practice material, as well as the 2,401 (actual number) NAQT packets for sale? No, your explanation is implausible.

Here are some places to get packets that you can read instead:

http://quizbowl.stanford.edu/archive/
http://acf-quizbowl.com/archive.php
http://quizbowlpackets.com/
http://www.naqt.com/practice-questions.jsp
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

Matt Weiner wrote:
So because it's the end of the year, you want packets that don't exist yet and will not in fact be released until it's actually the beginning of next year in high school academic calendar terms, because you've somehow gone through the 7,114 (actual number) packets that are available as free practice material, as well as the 2,401 (actual number) NAQT packets for sale? No, your explanation is implausible.
I think he was referring to reading a packet from the already existing ASS I set. How...how did you not get that?
Do you think we should try to make these links (particularly quizbowlpackets.com) stand out more on parts of the board? I'm not sure how many people who read the board a decent amount are aware of the depth of the resources at their disposal.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Dolemite wrote:I think he was referring to reading a packet from the already existing ASS I set. How...how did you not get that?
Eh, the rest still stands...we all know what happens when people start reading trash in practice, and saying you're doing it because you're out of other packets is bull.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I don't think reading trash packets at the end of the year is any great evil. We're doing that a lot, and it gives the chance for some of our newer players not to get crowded out by the more experienced people. Even if these people are only coming to practice for the trash (which they're not), they're still being at least passively exposed to the academic pakcets we're reading.

Reading more than a packet or two of trash a week during the regular season isn't a very good idea if you're an academic team, but in moderation and at the end of the season I think it's fairly beneficial.
Mike Bentley
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Matt Weiner wrote:we all know what happens when people start reading trash in practice, and saying you're doing it because you're out of other packets is bull.
People start smoking crack?!?!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

1 Round of Trash is that much evil? It constitutes maybe 20 minutes of practice, its not like I'm converting my team to a trash specialty team (GOD FORBID).

And yes, I'm sure I have not gone though all of the packets posted on the internet (Especially if your number is true) but I've gone through about 3/4 of the quizbowlpackets now and want to throw something in so thats no exhausted before next year.
Matt Weiner wrote:
Here are some places to get packets that you can read instead:

http://quizbowl.stanford.edu/archive/
Thank you, thats a new link for me. Also, I've gone through the free NAQT practice questions, that was the first resource we went to. And as for the ACF questions, no one on the team possesses the ability to really answer those at the moment besides the smattering of History and Lit questions I can get.
Last edited by TheCzarMan on Sun May 11, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick Petrilli
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

I just added the UMN/UMD/Vandy set to quizbowlpackets.com. Go play that.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I updated the field for this tournament. We'd still like to see some more teams sign up for the event. Let me know if you're interested.
Mike Bentley
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

The Gonzaga All-Stars would also like to sign up for this.
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

Gonzagapuma1 wrote:The Gonzaga All-Stars would also like to sign up for this.
Haha you and Ted?
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:FREELANCE QUESTIONS:

If you are interested in writing some freelance questions or a freelance packet, let me know by e-mailing me at [email protected].
Since I just committed over the weekend, where can I find a distribution for this? Or is this just going to be a wacky, choose your own subject thing?
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

Whitman would like to send a team.
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

leftsaidfred wrote:
Bentley Like Beckham wrote:FREELANCE QUESTIONS:

Since I just committed over the weekend, where can I find a distribution for this? Or is this just going to be a wacky, choose your own subject thing?
Additionally, what difficulty are you going for?
Fred Morlan
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I posted a field update, unfortunately we've had some teams drop. Registration is still open, so any teams that still want to register should e-mail me to do so.

The tournament will be taking place in Jimenez so long as that building is actually open on Sunday morning (if not there will be clearly marked signs updating what is going on). More details will be forthcoming.

If the schedule remains as it is, we'll be doing a round robin of 7 games, followed by a 3 game playoff and then finals.
Mike Bentley
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:I posted a field update....
Entered one team. Received e-mail verification. Not in update.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Howard wrote:
Bentley Like Beckham wrote:I posted a field update....
Entered one team. Received e-mail verification. Not in update.
Whoops, adding you guys now.
Mike Bentley
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Registration 8:30 - 9:00 as typical?
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Yeah, registration will be from 8:30 - 9:00. I'll send out an e-mail soon with all of the details.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Hey, here's the e-mail message I sent out to the teams:

---

Atlantic Seaboard Skirmish II Update

Hey everyone, if you’re receiving this e-mail then I have you signed up to compete in ASS II as Maryland this Sunday, June 22nd.

Registration for the tournament will be from 8:30 – 9:00 AM on Sunday, June 22nd in 0105 Jimenez Hall (the usual place for our college tournaments). There is a possibility that this could be moved on the day of the event in case we have some issues with scheduling, but we hope not to have that happen. If we do move registration, we will post signs and have people by Jimenez to direct you where to go.

In terms of parking, you will want to park in Lot 1 or one of the other parking lots past the Stamp Student Union (and Jimenez) on Campus Drive. Make sure to look at the sign when you park to ensure that you can park there for free without getting a ticket. Please consult the campus map at http://www.parking.umd.edu/themap/ if you are unsure as to where to park.

We’ll announce lunch options at the tournament, but they will essentially consist of a limited number of food places open in the Stamp Student Union across the street from Jimenez, and a wider variety of restaurants on Route 1.

The field for the tournament currently looks like this (updated 6/20/08):
Delaware/Charter (2)
Matt Weiner and others (1)
WUSTL and Friend (1)
College Park Retirement Castle (1)
Feldman, Puma, Tabachnick, Gioia (1)
UVA (1)
John Gilbert et al (1)
Whitman (1)
Maryland House Team / Grinnell (1)
William and Mary (1)

That gives us 10 teams for this tournament. We have 12 packets available, so we’re probably going to do a complete round robin followed by a 3 round playoff structure. This means there won’t be a final in case teams are tied, though. If you have a better solution for playing the tournament with this number of teams, please let me know.

We will be reading the tournament on laptops, so it would be nice if one person from a team could bring a laptop in case we have any issues with the staff laptops.

In case anything happens on Sunday, please give me a call (e-mail me for my number). The reception in Jimenez is notoriously bad, but I’ll try to go outside a few times and check my messages.

See everyone on Sunday,
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

FYI we had another team sign up so we're going to do just a full round robin followed by a final between teams of even records if necessary unless the number of teams changes again.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Sorry for the late announcement, but we will be meeting from 8:30 to 9:00 AM in the Reckord Armory rather than Jimenez tomorrow. You can park right next to the Armory in Lot L for free, just take a left at the "M" traffic cirlce and go into the parking lot that is to the left at the second stop sign.

Consult the campus map here:

http://www.parking.umd.edu/themap/
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Thanks to everyone who came out to ASS II. Matt Weiner's team, Uncivil Brats, defeated the Charter Team, Dubious Awards in a one game final, 330-230. The full stats for the tournament can be found here: http://doc-ent.com/quizbowl/ass08/ASS%2 ... dings.html.

I'd like to thank everyone who helped contribute to the writing of the tournament. Thanks to Dave Letzler, Jonathan Magin, Colin O'Donnell, Jeremy Eaton, Casey Retterer, Brittany Clark, Chris Ray, Fred Morlan, Dan Goff, Brick Barientos, Ian Eppler, Billy Beyer, and Andrew Lim for contributing questions to this tournament. Also, thanks to the moderators who helped read the tournament.

I hope that teams enjoyed the questions. I'm going to be opening a discussion thread for people to comment on the questions, and I'll also post some of my own thoughts on the tournament there.

The questions themselves can be downloaded from here:
http://www.doc-ent.com/ASSII.zip

If you want the very large Word document with the visual round, then you should download the following file:
http://www.doc-ent.com/ASSIIbig.zip
Mike Bentley
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I would like to commend Mike not only on an exemplary trash set that consistently appeals to people who are not fond of trash, but also on managing to resolve the tournament's final matches despite my apparent inability to read the right packet for the round. Seriously, if someone other than Mike was managing that situation, it would probably have been really bad. Sorry for fucking up, and excellent show on making sure it had no impact on the tournament.

Also, ASS III: All visual rounds?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

DumbJaques wrote:I would like to commend Mike not only on an exemplary trash set that consistently appeals to people who are not fond of trash, but also on managing to resolve the tournament's final matches despite my apparent inability to read the right packet for the round. Seriously, if someone other than Mike was managing that situation, it would probably have been really bad. Sorry for fucking up, and excellent show on making sure it had no impact on the tournament.

Also, ASS III: All visual rounds?
The real challenge would be all audio rounds. I was originally going to make that round audio tossups and visual bonuses, but after creating about 3 audio tossups it became apparent that was going to be way too hard.

If anyone wants to hear them, here they are:
1) Identify the band who originally recorded the following songs based on YouTube covers, FTP.
2) Identify the movie from dialogue.
3) FTP, identify the artist behind these lyrics from computerized speaking of them. When the lyrics move to another track, you will be notified.

Scroll down for answers

1) REM
2) Sin City
3) Marvin Gaye
Mike Bentley