ANNOUNCEMENT: Sun 'n Fun IX @ USF -- 5/10/2008 (Date Change)

Old college threads.
SnookerUSF
Rikku

ANNOUNCEMENT: Sun 'n Fun IX @ USF -- 5/10/2008 (Date Change)

Post by SnookerUSF »

Quizbowl at the University of South Florida is proud to announce:
Sun 'n Fun IX: The Medusa Laughs Again or Breaking the Curse of the Ninth
…we hope

It will be held on the University of South Florida's Tampa Campus on Saturday, May 10th, 2008. This will NOT be a packet submission tournament, all questions will be written in-house by the lovely and talented members of the USF Quizbowl team. Please direct all inquires, and registration requests to Ahmad Ragab at [aragab at mail dot usf dot edu]

Fee Structure:
Base Fee: $130

Discounts:
Additional Team: -$10
Working Buzzer: -$10 (up to 2)
Competent Moderator: -$10 (up to 2)
Travel Discount: -$10 (more than 200 miles away)
Minimum Fee: $70

Difficulty & Distribution
Difficulty will be more challenging than that of ACF Regionals. The distribution will also resemble that of ACF Regionals, specifically in a 20 question packet you can expect:

4/4 Literature
4/4 Science/Math
4/4 History
3/3 Fine Arts
3/3 RMP
1/1 Social Science
1/1 Geography/General Knowledge/Trash

DJ Rob
A Music Round will be occurring during the Lunch Break, so come for the questions, stay for the music.

Hotels:
We are pleased to offer a special rate on rooms from the Wingate
Inn (3751 E Fowler Ave, Tampa, FL 33612), which is directly across the
street from USF. If you call 1-800-228-1000 to make a reservation at
the Wingate Inn Tampa USF and mention the "USF Special" rate, you can
get a double room (1-4 people) for $69/night
* The Embassy Suites Hotel, directly on campus, recently announced
a special rate as well. Call (813) 977-7066 and ask for the "USF Rate"
of $149/night for a deluxe suite.
* Amerisuites (11408 N 30th St, Tampa, FL 33612) has also chimed
in with a nice deal. If you call (813)979-1922, and mention the "USF
Rate", you can get a suite with 2 double beds and a pullout sofa for
$79.00/night.
* Holiday Inn (2701 E Fowler Ave) also has a "USF Special" rate
of $69/night.

We hope you can attend.
Last edited by SnookerUSF on Mon May 05, 2008 12:03 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
Bender Bending Fernandez
Lulu

Post by Bender Bending Fernandez »

*ahem*

You forgot to mention the music round by the lovely and/or talented DJ Rob.
jeremycec
Lulu

Updated Hotel Info

Post by jeremycec »

Sorry, that hotel info was a little dated. Here is the latest and greatest:

**Best Deal**
La Quinta Inn
3701 E Fowler Ave.
(813) 910-7500
$79.00 USF Special Rate
Directly across the street from USF.

**Nice place**
Wingate Inn
3751 E. Fowler Ave.
(813) 979-2828
Double Bed Non-smoking
$114.95 USF Rate
Next door to La Quinta.

**Deluxe**
Embassy Suites
3705 Spectrum Blvd.
(813) 977-7066
Two double beds non-smoking
$174.00 USF Rate
Directly on-campus.
[/list][/list]
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

If any club is interested in hosting a mirror, please e-mail me [aragab at mail dot usf dot edu].

-Auroni Gupta

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
Saiem
Wakka

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Sun 'n Fun IX @ USF -- 5/10/2008 (Date Change)

Post by Saiem »

Are you serious about the whole "greater than ACF Regionals" level difficulty? Who all would be interested in playing something like that in our area?
Saiem Gilani
Florida State '12, '1X
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

SaiemGilani wrote:Are you serious about the whole "greater than ACF Regionals" level difficulty? Who all would be interested in playing something like that in our area?
difficult tournaments suck let's all play high school questions
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

Maybe that came out a little more petulant than I expected, but I was just wondering how it will affect attendance. I want to get something for my experience, rather than having to play Billy, Chris Borglum, and UF for a few rounds and get like two tossups. If its going to be a small tournament and be the really elite in our area, then its probably more worth my time (at this point) to just read the packets afterwards. If I get a chance, I'll probably go, but like something deemed greater than ACF Regionals difficulty won't be all that enjoyable for me.
Saiem Gilani
Florida State '12, '1X
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

SaiemGilani wrote:Maybe that came out a little more petulant than I expected, but I was just wondering how it will affect attendance. I want to get something for my experience, rather than having to play Billy, Chris Borglum, and UF for a few rounds and get like two tossups. If its going to be a small tournament and be the really elite in our area, then its probably more worth my time (at this point) to just read the packets afterwards. If I get a chance, I'll probably go, but like something deemed greater than ACF Regionals difficulty won't be all that enjoyable for me.
Better yet, read a bunch of good packets before the tournament, and then you'll get more than 2 tossups at the tournament.

Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

At the very least, Saiem, come to hear Jim Baker mock Billy Beyer and Pervez Musharraf. I'll also have 2-3 Valencia teams there you can beat on, and I'm hoping to convince Manatee, South Florida CC, and St. Pete CC to send teams.
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

Salem,
I understand your trepidation at playing a "harder than ACF Regionals difficulty" tournament but, I think the other comments speak for themselves. This is a summer tournament (or at least early summer), and it is something of a tradition to turn up the difficulty level over this time of the year. The tournament is also not about making money, I really just want to have another tournament in the Southeast without having to drive all the way to Chattanooga (No offense Charlie, I love eating at Thai Smile). Yes, while it may be the regulars that you are used to Valencia, UF and you guys there is no replacement for playing authentically on the buzzer. This is not so much about ppg as hopefully about learning something at a competitive level.

My secondary goal in all this is to introduce new material to the canon, stuff that is not necessarily "difficult" but just things that do not come up in what I personally feel is a deepening and narrowing one. I would encourage you and anyone else thinking about not coming to see this as an opportunity to see what kind of things are out there to be had as items of knowledge, part of my genuine interest and obsession for quizbowl is the opportunity to hear something that I have no familiarity with, but because the question is interestingly formulated-it actually connects to another interest of mine. Obviously, there are things I don't want to involve significant effort in knowing about, but I am usually pleasantly surprised when something that I had previously considered intractable...come to life as worthwhile later on in my random readings. This is a bit abstract and far afield from your original concerns, but I would entreat you to reconsider the consequences of your statement. If, because of "regional concerns," consistently recoiled from hosting "harder" questions at local tournaments, do you not think this region would become totally unprepared for the rigors of National or Master Level tournaments, slowly falling away into disillusionment and eventual apathy as regards the national game. Moreover, I would offer that part of the reason that there is such little interest from this region to play at such tournaments is because so few of them are hosted, and thus so few teams prepare themselves for play at that level and if you aren't prepared then the last thing you want to do is sit there holding your...buzzer.

Thanks for reading,

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

My secondary goal in all this is to introduce new material to the canon, stuff that is not necessarily "difficult" but just things that do not come up in what I personally feel is a deepening and narrowing one. I would encourage you and anyone else thinking about not coming to see this as an opportunity to see what kind of things are out there to be had as items of knowledge, part of my genuine interest and obsession for quizbowl is the opportunity to hear something that I have no familiarity with, but because the question is interestingly formulated-it actually connects to another interest of mine. Obviously, there are things I don't want to involve significant effort in knowing about, but I am usually pleasantly surprised when something that I had previously considered intractable...come to life as worthwhile later on in my random readings. This is a bit abstract and far afield from your original concerns, but I would entreat you to reconsider the consequences of your statement. If, because of "regional concerns," consistently recoiled from hosting "harder" questions at local tournaments, do you not think this region would become totally unprepared for the rigors of National or Master Level tournaments, slowly falling away into disillusionment and eventual apathy as regards the national game. Moreover, I would offer that part of the reason that there is such little interest from this region to play at such tournaments is because so few of them are hosted, and thus so few teams prepare themselves for play at that level and if you aren't prepared then the last thing you want to do is sit there holding your...buzzer.
Ahmad for QB poet laureate.

Yeah, as probably the biggest and most obnoxious critic of Sun and Fun last year, I'd urge people to go to this event (and will attend the mirror in my area, if possible). For one thing, this is announcing the stated difficulty as post-regionals. I'd also add that, difficulty-wise, post-regionals this year is really just regionals last year, which isn't all that unreasonable for once a year. I bitched a lot after Sun and Fun but in the end I learned about a lot of things (srsly no more vinegar tasters tossups though), and I've come around to believing that such a tournament is a good thing for the community, and for players on an individual level. I think, moreover, that Ahmad has probably refined his ability to expand the canon in a controlled way without creating any of the maybe 2 iffy packets last year, so I'll just say I'm really looking forward to an opportunity to play on these questions. I know your region might not really be that used to such events, but as the man says, what better way to do something about that than to host this tournament?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

I would certainly show up to a mirror of this if it occurred somewhere nearby; in any case, if we wish to write freelance packets, by when would you want them? Or would you want them at all?
SnookerUSF wrote:My secondary goal in all this is to introduce new material to the canon, stuff that is not necessarily "difficult" but just things that do not come up in what I personally feel is a deepening and narrowing one. I would encourage you and anyone else thinking about not coming to see this as an opportunity to see what kind of things are out there to be had as items of knowledge, part of my genuine interest and obsession for quizbowl is the opportunity to hear something that I have no familiarity with, but because the question is interestingly formulated-it actually connects to another interest of mine.
In principle, I agree with this, but I'd warn you that what you may feel to be merely an incremental increase in difficulty will, in all probability, be a pretty big leap for someone who doesn't share your personal interest in the given subject. While a harder difficulty tournament is of course a great opportunity to learn, I'm not sure your, or any other, region would enjoy a tournament written at Westbrook-experiment level; basically, I'm saying no tossups on Lin Xexu plz.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

ToStrikeInfinitely wrote: In principle, I agree with this, but I'd warn you that what you may feel to be merely an incremental increase in difficulty will, in all probability, be a pretty big leap for someone who doesn't share your personal interest in the given subject. While a harder difficulty tournament is of course a great opportunity to learn, I'm not sure your, or any other, region would enjoy a tournament written at Westbrook-experiment level; basically, I'm saying no tossups on Lin Xexu plz.
I totally agree. Moreover, I know that I will make this error occasionally. But I am 100% convinced that there is an answer space out there that does NOT require experimental difficulty level questions to expand the canon. Of course, in this tournament, there will be questions (many questions) that have come up and come up regularly at other events-this is both necessary and good, in my estimation.

There will be in all likelihood a mirror sometime at Maryland, details are yet to be worked out.

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

This is a tournament update:

Currently, we expect to start registration at around 9:30am, with round one beginning at approximately 10am. Details about where we will be playing will be broadcast individually to teams.

Teams that have registered:
South Carolina (1 team)
Valencia (4 teams)
SFCC (2 teams)
CFCC (2 teams)
Hardee HS (2 teams)
Manatee CC (1 team)
Kevin Comer & Free Agents (1 team).

Teams that have expressed interest but not confirmed:
UF
FSU

As it stands because of round, room and reader availability I will need to cap this tournament at 16 teams, and hopefully exactly 16 teams. So if you are interested in playing please let me know. Also, you know about the Maryland mirror...there is in the works a Northwestern mirror, but details have not been finalized, so nothing official as of yet.

Thanks,
Ahmad

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Florida State, one team and one buzzer, please
jhn31
Wakka

Post by jhn31 »

Mississippi State is planning on attending as well (end of the year road trip!)
Harry, Mississippi State
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

The Final Field Update:

FSU (1 team)
UF (2 teams)
South Carolina (1 team)
Valencia (4 teams)
SFCC (2 teams)
PHCC (2 teams)
Hardee HS (2 teams)
Manatee CC (1 team)
PJC (1 team)
+ Two Free Agents.

See you Saturday.

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

No Mississippi State? (See antepenultimate message).
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

They are probably going to some other tournament being hosted on IS questions or something easier, lolz.
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

Unfortunately, scheduling conflicts forced everyone to pull out except one person. It would have been neat to have three states represented, but perhaps next year.

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
jhn31
Wakka

Post by jhn31 »

wd4gdz wrote:They are probably going to some other tournament being hosted on IS questions or something easier, lolz.
Yep, we're just going to read Trivial Pursuit cards to each other Saturday.
Harry, Mississippi State
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

jhn31 wrote:
wd4gdz wrote:They are probably going to some other tournament being hosted on IS questions or something easier, lolz.
More like the ones found on Pop-Tarts, amirite?
jhn31
Wakka

Post by jhn31 »

wd4gdz wrote:
jhn31 wrote:
More like the ones found on Pop-Tarts, amirite?
no, Trivial Pursuit Kids Edition.
Harry, Mississippi State
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

They have a Kid's Edition? Sweet, this will totally work out for Novice next year.

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

In an abbreviated playoff South Carolina won in an advantaged final against FSU(8-2) going 9-1 overall in the tournament with Valencia Fun finishing third going 7-2.
Congratulations to Erik D., Brynn and Joey.
Preliminary Round Statistics

Individual Honors went to:
1. Chris Borglum
2. Billy Beyer
3. Kevin Comer

"Neg Shot" Award:
Sean Platzer
Last edited by SnookerUSF on Sun May 11, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Are these stats accurate?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

"jesus tapdancing christ" --E. Mukherjee
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Um, wow.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

As a reminder, a mirror of this tournament is being held as late as 6/21, so teams should not talk about the questions here. If there is a demand, I might be able to set up another private message board thing like I did with Sectionals.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

What? My team cracked ten ppb!

Bone up, people!

PS--To be serious, I want to say that I thought the questions were great fun. With notably few exceptions, they were well written and the answer space was very interesting. (Of course, Ahmad is interested in lots of things I am too, so I might be more prone to enjoying some of his pet topics more than others). Thanks to Ahmad and the others who wrote for all their hard work. But the questions were indeed too tough for most of the field. The majority of participants were CC teams (and two from Hardee HS: props to them!), and the other teams were incomplete (Sean Platzer of UF playing solo, Travis Vitello from UF teaming with one Valencia player, Kevin Comer playing solo, etc.). However, though I think the questions will be challenging to all, we'll see bigger stats at the mirrors.

PPS--Congratulations to South Carolina for driving so far and winning!
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Will these questions be posted after the completion of the mirrors?
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

quizbowlabc wrote:Will these questions be posted after the completion of the mirrors?
Absolutely, as soon as the Maryland Mirror is completed on June 21st.

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

My team enjoyed the questions immensely. People should definitely go to the mirrors. There were some problems here and there, but overall it was a blast. Thanks for Ahmad and the rest of the USF folks for a tournament in which Sun and Fun was had.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

I also thought overall this tournament was pretty good. There seemed to be some grammar issues, but I'm sure Ahmad will have those fixed before this upcoming weekend. I'd say on average 80% was standard canon fodder, with 20% being new (to me, at least) stuff that Ahmad is interested in seeing come up more. Nevertheless, the best team certainly won...congrats to South Carolina, and enjoy your $100 gift card to Barnes & Noble.

Which brings me to my next point. According to my calculations, Ahmad gave out $250 in gift cards to Barnes & Noble as prizes. This is ridiculously generous, and should be celebrated with a holiday on the quizbowl calendar.