2008 National Tournament Prognostication (archived)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

2008 National Tournament Prognostication (archived)

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

With the first major national tournament less than a month away, I was wondering what everybody thinks will happen at the upcoming HSNCT and PACE NSC. Of course, it seems to be agreed that Dorman, Whitman, and TJ will dominate the field, but I'm curious to see what people believe will happen below them. My current dark horse pick for a team to do really well is NKC-- with Charlie's past skill, his constant effort, and what I've heard about his teammate's improvements, they should play really well this year.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
ieppler
Rikku

Re: National Tournament Prognostication

Post by ieppler »

My only prediction: this thread will end in hurt feelings and tempbans.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Hopper wrote:My only prediction: this thread will end in hurt feelings and tempbans.
Screw it, then. We'll just wait a few weeks and find out.
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

This is certainly the most wide open the high school field has been since 2003 or so. Should be most interesting. I said at the beginning of the year that TJ would win NAQT and Whitman would win PACE so I guess I'll stick to that. I do think Whitman or Dorman could certainly win both of these and Charter's probably got a good chance of winning NAQT.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Hopper wrote:My only prediction: this thread will end in hurt feelings and tempbans.
I somehow doubt this, as we've had projection discussions in the past that went well.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Well... if the Goldfish numbers are any indication... MW is certainly capable of beating a goldfish :D.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

My only confident prediction is that 2005 TJ's status as the only team to go undefeated at both HSNCT and NSC will remain unchallenged.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Matt Weiner wrote:My only confident prediction is that 2005 TJ's status as the only team to go undefeated at both HSNCT and NSC will remain unchallenged.
Audacious prediction, Matt
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Yeah, anyone who thinks that the NAQT rankings are actually indicative of anything is failing to notice how horribly banana goat tennis ball Matt Weinered it is (sorry if I get a tempban, but there's really no other way to put it, it's that bad). I mean, the ratings go into previos recorded years, there are entire teams up on the individual records, and what I find most hilarious is that college teams and their Sectionals performance are listed in the High School Nationals results page, affording Eric Smith from Stanford B the record high of points "scored in an HSNCT match" (MASQUE aside). I mean, Terin Budine's a good player, but her so called 211 ppg only really makes sense if you realize that they're on MSHSAA games, and what's great is that she's trailed by all of Grosse Pointe North and Mike Sorice!

Edit: Watch your language, Chuq --Mgmt..
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

TJ, Whitman, Dorman. That is all.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Tomorrow should give us a (somewhat) clearer picture of how teams will place at NSC. Goodluck to all teams in attendance at VCU.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

quizbowlabc wrote:Tomorrow should give us a (somewhat) clearer picture of how teams will place at NSC. Goodluck to all teams in attendance at VCU.
While Gov doesn't expect to do that well this year (although I suppose it doesn't hurt to be optimistic), it should probably be noted that tomorrow's MW A is 1/4 MW A, 1/4 MW A/B, 1/4 MW B, and 1/4 MW C with both Palmer and Andrew absent. It should still be interesting, though.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
closesesame
Wakka

Post by closesesame »

So tomorrow at VCU, I'm not there. Keshav wasn't there at NAQT states. Yeah.
Naren Tallapragada
TJHSST '09
MIT '13
killbill_07
Lulu

Post by killbill_07 »

After pouring over the results for the recent NAQT invitations and state tournaments held in various states, here are my picks for the top 10 teams and top 5 individual players in the 2008 NAQT HSNCT.

TOP 10 TEAMS(in order):
1.) Thomas Jefferson(VA)
2.) Walt Whitman(MD)
3.) Dorman(SC)
4.) Eden Prairie(MN)
5.) East Lansing(MI)
6.) Grosse Pointe North(MI)
7.) Charter School of Wilmington(DE)
8.) Detroit Catholic Central(MI)
9.) Novi(MI)
10.) North Kansas City(MO)

TOP 5 INDIVIDUALS(in order):
1.) Kurtis Droge
2.) Shantanu Jha
3.) Dallas Simons
4.) Henry Gorman
5.) Charles Dees
You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.
- Homer Simpson

Rarely is the question asked: is our children learning.
- George W Bush
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

killbill_07 wrote:5.) East Lansing(MI)

6.) Grosse Pointe North(MI)

9.) Novi(MI)

Oh really? Let me say this: If Grosse Pointe North comes within 400 points of Charter, I'll eat my hat, and any other article of clothing you please. The others look pretty funky besides.
Doug
Brandeis '17
killbill_07
Lulu

Post by killbill_07 »

Haha, I would gladly take that bet Douglas, even if it was for a 100 point margin. No team in this tournament could hand GPN half the kind of a defeat you claim Wilmington is capable of, including TJ and Dorman. I don't blame you for that comment though because besides DCC, no team in Michigan travels out of state.

My ranking is definitely flawed and biased like most individual rankings though. I wish I had more statistics to look at from more teams and from more states. That would make things easier because this field so big. That's why it should be a good tournament.
Last edited by killbill_07 on Sat May 03, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Homer Simpson

- George W Bush
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

Four Michigan teams in the top ten is not going to happen, even with NAQT's ability to be completely unpredictable due to their questions. I feel like I made a similar point last year (and was right) so I'm doing it again. I'll say 3 Michigan teams in the top 10 (or however specifically NAQT ranks the rest of the field, top 11 or 12, etc.) will be quite optimistic yet possible, with Novi being the one team who doesn't make the top. They aren't horrible, but they certainly don't appear to be top ten in the country. Once again, the over hyping of Michigan by certain board posters will become an ongoing joke as it did last year. GPN put up good numbers in the one tournament I saw, but it'd be pretty cool had they gone to more stuff. It'd also be pretty cool if more people in Michigan running tournaments did a better job of keeping specific stats and posting them to this board, but I guess you can't have everything.

I'll join the chorus of people saying TJ, Dorman, and Whitman will be the top 3 at NAQT and say that Dorman narrowly over Whitman will be the PACE final.

As far as NAQT individuals go, who knows but I'll just guess something like Dees, Simons, Droge, Tabachnick, and Yetman. Shantanu will likely be the best overall player/demigod there, but teammate shadow plus NAQT questions not playing to his strengths (knowing stuff!) like PACE questions will will keep him from the top five in PPG. I also accept that my top 5 guess will be inaccurate because I may not have accounted for various individual players on good but not great teams who account for the vast majority of their points.
dyetman89 wrote:
Oh really? Let me say this: If Grosse Pointe North comes within 400 points of Charter, I'll eat my hat, and any other article of clothing you please. The others look pretty funky besides.
For what it's worth, GPN put up decent enough numbers at NAQT states that I wouldn't presume a blowout like that, but I certainly think ranking them ahead of Charter is absolutely crazy.

Edit: I also think putting Kurtis Droge so far ahead of Charlie Dees in both team (assuming their teammates' numbers are close to equal) and individual standings might be a bit much. Then again, Charlie is probably stronger on harder/better questions having seen him at a couple college tournaments than he is on HSNCT stuff so you could be right.

Half-hearted attempt to guess a top ten at NAQT (which will be very very wrong):

1. Dorman A
2. TJ
3. Whitman
4. Charter
5. Eden Prairie
6. NKC
7. East Lansing
8. Dorman B
9. Grosse Pointe North
10. Santa Monica

Since NAQT usually ranks 8-12 together, I'll put DCC and MLK as 11 and 12.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

I was exaggerating a touch for effect, but really , Charter is ridiculously good at NAQT. Trust me.

I'm not even sure if I'll be showing up at NAQT, but if I do, I'll be truly surprised if I'm a top individual player. PACE is much more my forte.
Doug
Brandeis '17
killbill_07
Lulu

Post by killbill_07 »

Dolemite wrote:It'd also be pretty cool if more people in Michigan running tournaments did a better job of keeping specific stats and posting them to this board, but I guess you can't have everything.
Hey, no need to put down the Michigan tournament staff who I think do a phenominal job of running tournaments and keeping live stats albeit a few exceptions. The NAQT state tournament in Michigan was attended by all four top Michigan teams and has complete live stats available for the public.

MICHIGAN NAQT STATE TOURNAMENT
http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-te ... nt_id=2537
http://www.collegequizbowl.org/2008MISt ... dings.html

There was also another state tournament recently hosted by Michigan State University and the results for that was 1.) Detroit Catholic Central, 2.) Novi and 3.) East Lansing. These were not on NAQT questions however and GPN was not present.

GPN had 49 powers and averaged about 23 P/B in 8 NAQT matches Dolemite. I think you would agree with me that even TJ in 2005 would no be able to beat the current GPN team by 400 points. I think that all Michigan teams will end up at least in or tied for the top 20 or however NAQT decides to rank teams based on the stats I have seen them put up compared to those from other teams in different states. GPN and East Lansing are slightly better than DCC/Novi so they should be in the top 10. Again, I repeat that most people don't have too much first-hand knowledge of teams in Michigan besides DCC so the state wil always be underhyped. As for Kurtis, he singlehandedly is responsible for EL's entire tossup and bonus points production so I feel like he will be very tough to beat individually.
- Homer Simpson

- George W Bush
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

killbill_07 wrote:
Dolemite wrote:It'd also be pretty cool if more people in Michigan running tournaments did a better job of keeping specific stats and posting them to this board, but I guess you can't have everything.
Hey, no need to put down the Michigan tournament staff who I think do a phenominal job of running tournaments and keeping live stats albeit a few exceptions. The NAQT state tournament in Michigan was attended by all four top Michigan teams and has complete live stats available for the public.
The actual tournaments run at the University of Michigan do indeed do a good job at keeping stats (although individual stats would help), and Craig Barker's live updates are a great idea that more places should attempt. I was speaking of the various other tournaments held in the state of Michigan, not UM's tournaments.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

killbill_07 wrote:GPN had 49 powers and averaged about 23 P/B in 8 NAQT matches Dolemite. I think you would agree with me that even TJ in 2005 would no be able to beat the current GPN team by 400 points. I think that all Michigan teams will end up at least in or tied for the top 20 or however NAQT decides to rank teams based on the stats I have seen them put up compared to those from other teams in different states. GPN and East Lansing are slightly better than DCC/Novi so they should be in the top 10. Again, I repeat that most people don't have too much first-hand knowledge of teams in Michigan besides DCC so the state wil always be underhyped. As for Kurtis, he singlehandedly is responsible for EL's entire tossup and bonus points production so I feel like he will be very tough to beat individually.
You assume that GPN will be able to get a similar amount of powers against the top teams in the nation. In some cases, GPN will either a) get beaten on an earlier clue or b) lose a buzzer race on a clue in power. Also, a nugget from noted NAQT player Sudheer Potru - games are not won with 15s, they are won with 10s.

Also, why the stat dropping? That just smacks of desperation.

No one is "under-hyping" Michigan. People make assessments based on stats and what they've seen. Many people who post here (I exclude myself from said group) have seen many teams from different regions, and thus have a better gauge on the top teams. Due to teams in Michigan not traveling all that much, it is hard for people to accurately gauge such teams, so such accusations are baseless.
killbill_07
Lulu

Post by killbill_07 »

Yeah, I agree with you about Michigan teams not traveling a lot. That's why I'm relaying you my opinions(although biased) because most other people don't know much about the Michigan circuit besides DCC. DCC is a perennial top performer but this year, the other 3 teams(EL, Novi and GPN) are just as good if not better. This leads me to believe that all the teams will place will in the tournament. They all have ~450+ PP20TH over at least 8 NAQT games which is pretty impressive. I'm not "desperate" to prove anything. A previous poster said that Wilmington could beat GPN by at least 400 points which I felt was definitely off-base so I'm trying to use stats to clear up existing misconceptions.

Besides, for all we know, the Korean International School might end up winning the tournament? They are NAQT sets after all.
- Homer Simpson

- George W Bush
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

GO EAST COAST!
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

I don't know enough about the east coast to make any real predictions, but I do agree that the consensus top three are the top three teams in the country. I think that EL and DCC have a reasonable shot of making the top 10, but I would pick both teams just outside. GPN could end up in the 20s or 30s, and Novi should be able to win a game or two in the playoffs. I don't think Michigan is as good as most people seem to think.

Individually, I think Kurtis does have a very good shot at being the top scorer, since the rest of EL will not be scoring as many points as his teammates last year. However, any of "Dees, Simons, Droge, Tabachnick, and Yetman" has a great shot, and there could also be someone who comes out of nowhere to make the top five.

Whatever happens, it should be a fun tournament.
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

killbill_07 wrote:Besides, for all we know, the Korean International School might end up winning the tournament? They are NAQT sets after all.
I don't really want to defend the organization that produced the IS sets I've played on this year, but... last year's HSNCT sets were decent and pyramidal, the tournament was well-run, and the best team won, with results correlating relatively well with PACE, a more academic-oriented championship.
The Voice of Reason wrote:I think that EL and DCC have a reasonable shot of making the top 10, but I would pick both teams just outside. GPN could end up in the 20s or 30s, and Novi should be able to win a game or two in the playoffs.
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Really, I think it's wide open. Dorman has had a great year, but they have dropped some key games to TJ and Whitman, each of whom has lost to others. I think that several great teams are going to beat up on each other in the upper echelons of the tournament. When the smoke clears from what will likely be an epic showdown, there's no telling who will be left standing. This should be interesting, both at NAQT and at PACE.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

dyetman89 wrote:I was exaggerating a touch for effect, but really , Charter is ridiculously good at NAQT. Trust me.
We're not actually that much better at NAQT than at other formats... In non-NAQT pyramidal tournaments this year, we've actually not lost a match to a team that isn't one of the big three (Whitman, Dorman, TJ), whereas on IS sets, we've taken losses to Stuyvesant, RM, and Hunter as well (who are certainly not shabby teams, but not quite as godly as the big three). If I remember correctly, on the non-NAQT day of the Weekend of Quizbowl, we still made the top four despite having to wake up at about 4 in the morning to travel down to Fairfax, and we almost certainly would not have won the NAQT day if not for Dorman's abrupt departure and Shantanu's sudden illness. I don't actually think that we'll do significantly better at NAQT than at PACE. Despite our reputation as something of a "Trash team," we know things other than trash, geography, and current events.
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

SwissBoy wrote:on IS sets, we've taken losses to Stuyvesant, RM, and Hunter as well
Good point, but I was thinking more of the beating Stuy took, and the stats I saw, from WOQ day two.

[/quote]Despite our reputation as something of a "Trash team," we know things other than trash, geography, and current events.[/quote]

Gee, no kidding. My point is, I've experienced firsthand how good Charter is on straight academic stuff, and when one factors in the geo/trash/ce component of NAQT, it simply becomes more so.
Doug
Brandeis '17
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

dyetman89 wrote:
SwissBoy wrote:on IS sets, we've taken losses to Stuyvesant, RM, and Hunter as well
Good point, but I was thinking more of the beating Stuy took, and the stats I saw, from WOQ day two.
Despite our reputation as something of a "Trash team," we know things other than trash, geography, and current events.[/quote]

Gee, no kidding. My point is, I've experienced firsthand how good Charter is on straight academic stuff, and when one factors in the geo/trash/ce component of NAQT, it simply becomes more so.[/quote]
Thanks for the clarification, Doug. See you at PACE.

And to killbill_07: While I think that it is unlikely that GPN will beat or place ahead of us, I don't think that a 400-point beatdown is in the works, as from their stats, they appear to be a reasonably strong team.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

quizbowllee wrote:Really, I think it's wide open. Dorman has had a great year, but they have dropped some key games to TJ and Whitman, each of whom has lost to others. I think that several great teams are going to beat up on each other in the upper echelons of the tournament. When the smoke clears from what will likely be an epic showdown, there's no telling who will be left standing. This should be interesting, both at NAQT and at PACE.
No kidding... David Bykowski and I took a first look at the mock prelim and predicted championship bracket for NSC (final brackets to come after the HSNCT data are posted), and we are staring at perhaps the most competitive NSC championship Sunday if ratings hold form for the championship flights. It is possible a team in Bykowski's top 20 will not make the championship 12 at NSC, and potentially two teams in that top flight will go 0-5 but could conceivably go 5-0. There is no way to cut it: everyone has to bring their top game for both days to win.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
gtb12
Kimahri

Post by gtb12 »

Captain of GPN quizbowl here. I was planning on contributing my two cents to the discussion--namely, actually giving some background information on the team--until I realized one of my teammates had already written a pretty good summary of who we are and how we do things on another thread. Here's what he said, and I totally agree (I'll chime in a bit, shown by brackets):

"At GPN, quiz bowl isn't taken very seriously, except for a few seniors, me, the sophomore, and the freshman [note that THE sophomore and the freshman are the ONLY sophomores and freshmen]. The focus is primarily on having a fun time [read: not very serious/frequent practices, little coach intervention] and making sure that everyone gets to play. Money is usually limited [but then again, we don't do any fundraising or anything of that sort], and we are always forced to not attend certain tournaments. The only out of state tournament we ever attend is HSNCT. We got off to a slow start this year, but we should be quite competitive at nationals, especially since we've mostly [haha...] been studying.

Our school also has difficulty with creating a lasting program a la DCC, which I attribute mainly to the fact that literally the exact same people are the ones in quiz bowl, Science Olympiad, student government, Chemistry Olympiad, orchestra, etc. Instead of specializing, we generalize. I'm not very sure what the future holds for our quiz bowl program, but it seems grim. We have a total of two regular players that are not juniors or seniors. I'm hoping that greater publicity and a strong showing at nationals may revive interest in the team and foster more dedication from the players."

I'm quite happy to discuss more about the team if there is more interest in terms of rankings...
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Oh the benefits to just having a "smart school."

You lucky devils.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
theattachment
Rikku

Post by theattachment »

NAQT predictions:

Dorman A wins a two-game final against Whitman by not that much.
3. TJ A
4. Charter A
5. EP A
6. East Lansing
7. NKC
8. Dorman B
9. DCC
10. Some random team that no one's ever heard of that magically does well.

Players:
1. Shantanu Jha
2. Charlie Dees
3. Henry Gorman
4. Dallas Simons
5. Kurtis Droge
6. Sam Peterson

Other notes:
-One of those Michigan teams will not make playoffs. Stranger things have happened and I would assume Novi and GPN are good enough to make it, but four teams in the top 10 grossly overstates that region, particularly when considering that the sole team that travels hasn't won everything by a proportional margin.
-There will be questions about various political figures that may or may not be involved in scandals relating to prostitutes and/or preachers.
-Igor from EP A will power the question about Hannah Montana, say that his teenage sister watches it, and will creep all of us out.

I'll do PACE predictions later, as I haven't actually looked at the field yet. I'll venture a guess to say that EP will be conspicuously absent from that prediction as I doubt we're going.
Colin O'Donnell -- ex-Eden Prairie High School (man, that feels nice to say), eventually University of Minnesota
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

theattachment wrote:Igor from EP A will [...] creep all of us out.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

theattachment wrote:-One of those Michigan teams will not make playoffs. Stranger things have happened and I would assume Novi and GPN are good enough to make it, but four teams in the top 10 grossly overstates that region, particularly when considering that the sole team that travels hasn't won everything by a proportional margin.
Isn't the playoff less top 10 and more top 55 or so?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
killbill_07
Lulu

Post by killbill_07 »

theattachment wrote:-One of those Michigan teams will not make playoffs. Stranger things have happened and I would assume Novi and GPN are good enough to make it, but four teams in the top 10 grossly overstates that region, particularly when considering that the sole team that travels hasn't won everything by a proportional margin.
-There will be questions about various political figures that may or may not be involved in scandals relating to prostitutes and/or preachers.
-Igor from EP A will power the question about Hannah Montana, say that his teenage sister watches it, and will creep all of us out.
1. It's extremely unlikely that any of MI's top 4 teams will not make the playoffs given that 55ish teams advance to the second day like Matt said. After listening to some of the other individuals on this board, I agree that my initial prediction of 4 MI teams in the top 10 is an overestimate. However, I still believe that all 4 teams should end up placing in the top half of the playoff bracket(top 25ish depending how NAQT does the final rankings). Also, I believe EL and GPN are just as good as DCC if not a little better based on some of the past tournament stats even though neither team travels.

2. Yeah, NAQT's current events questions are pretty easy to figure out every year. I correctly predicted that there would be tossups/bonuses on Sanjaya Mallikar and the Paul Wolfowitz scandal last year. This year, I believe preachers, prostitutes and Asian politics will be in style.

3. Does anybody else have any trouble believing Miley Cyrus is only 15? :lol:
- Homer Simpson

- George W Bush
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

As much I love Shantanu (as we all do), I doubt that he'll even be in top 10 indiv. It's hard to do exceptionally in the indiv ranking when you have a teammate the caliber of Adam Marshall, and Shantanu isn't great at trash or geography, if I recall right. I'm thinking Guy will do better than predicted thus far, i.e. not mentioned at all. In any case, there are a lot of great individual players this year, and I think it'll mostly be the willingness to vulch that determines the exact spots.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

3. Does anybody else have any trouble believing Miley Cyrus is only 15? :lol:
Guess what is absolutely NOT going to get discussed in this thread? Seriously, to my knowledge hsqb has never had to lock a thread for reasons relating to statutory rape, and we're not about to start now. No more discussing Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana/whatever. No more discussing anyone who has mullet as the primary ingredient in their DNA.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

My prediction: At some point in HSNCT or PACE, TJ A will beat Dorman A, Dorman A will beat Whitman A, and Whitman A will beat TJ A.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

hwhite wrote:My prediction: At some point in HSNCT or PACE, TJ A will beat Dorman A, Dorman A will beat Whitman A, and Whitman A will beat TJ A.
This sounds eminently plausible.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Megalomaniacal Panda on Absinthe
Wakka

Post by Megalomaniacal Panda on Absinthe »

aestheteboy wrote:As much I love Shantanu (as we all do), I doubt that he'll even be in top 10 indiv. It's hard to do exceptionally in the indiv ranking when you have a teammate the caliber of Adam Marshall, and Shantanu isn't great at trash or geography, if I recall right. I'm thinking Guy will do better than predicted thus far, i.e. not mentioned at all. In any case, there are a lot of great individual players this year, and I think it'll mostly be the willingness to vulch that determines the exact spots.
Daichi has my wholehearted concurrence on all points. I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't crack top 25; I'm not even sure I'm better than Adam on NAQT questions. But both Guy and Henry will do extremely well, I think.

I also probably won't break top 5 at PACE, just because my teammates are excellent and competent and will take a good number of tossups I would otherwise have gotten.

Also, of the three top teams mentioned repeatedly here, we're the most likely to lose to, say, Charter. We're also the most likely to finish third or worse. It really does depend on the set. Unfortunately I never got to play on this year's Sectionals set, but if HSNCT resembles the Division II Sectionals from last year and a tossup on Maxwell is going to begin with something like "He added a term to Ampere's Law..." then I remain reserved about our prospects for winning. On the other hand, if it resembles last year's HSNCT, or better yet, the one from two years ago, I think our chances would be similar to Charter's.
Shantanu Jha, Walt Whitman '08, University of Chicago '1x
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

At PACE, we have teams and staff select four all-star players among people who did not finish in the top 4 by individual stats. It's nice to be able to get people in especially if their teams are very well-balanced.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Wigner's friend wrote:Also, of the three top teams mentioned repeatedly here, we're the most likely to lose to, say, Charter.
Seriously? I think that the only time that we beat the full Whitman this year was when you hadn't slept for five days and were about to get really sick. You're probably more likely to lose to Dorman than to us.

And to those hyping me to win scoring awards-- it's really unlikely that I'll surpass Dees, Droge, Tabachinik, or Simmons, as some here have suggested, as I'm an inferior player and I also have teammates that take more points. I agree with Daichi that scoring awards will likely come down to vulching.
killbill_07
Lulu

Post by killbill_07 »

So, is this the largest quiz bowl tournament ever in recorded history or what? I think I remember reading here somewhere that Brookwood tournaments in the past drew 200+ teams, but I might be just imagining that.
- Homer Simpson

- George W Bush
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Brookwood Invitational Scholars Bowl had 168 teams at our largest. I believe NAQT has us beat.
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

After moderating for the Midwest Championship this weekend, here are my thoughts:

1. It is unlikely that any Indiana team will make the playoffs.
2. DCC looks very, very beatable. Unless they were missing a significant portion of their team, I would definitely put them on a level below EL.
3. Kurtis is a beast. I unfortunately only got to see him twice (against Northmont, and then against DCC in the final). However, I think the numbers speak for themselves: 11 games, 31 15's, 95 10's, 5.79 P/TU. This on the SCT Div2 questions. What impressed me more was the way he worked with his teammates on bonuses - he may be a one-man wrecking crew on the toss-ups, but it was the team effort that led to 19.73 PPB.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

evilmonkey wrote:After moderating for the Midwest Championship this weekend, here are my thoughts:

1. It is unlikely that any Indiana team will make the playoffs.
2. DCC looks very, very beatable. Unless they were missing a significant portion of their team, I would definitely put them on a level below EL.
3. Kurtis is a beast. I unfortunately only got to see him twice (against Northmont, and then against DCC in the final). However, I think the numbers speak for themselves: 11 games, 31 15's, 95 10's, 5.79 P/TU. This on the SCT Div2 questions. What impressed me more was the way he worked with his teammates on bonuses - he may be a one-man wrecking crew on the toss-ups, but it was the team effort that led to 19.73 PPB.
Interesting... I would say that comparing those statistics to those demonstrated by teams at the WoQ's NAQT day, using P/B (as this is a statistic that is mostly unaffected by quality of opposition), EL is behind Dorman, TJ, Charter, Dorman B, Stuyvesant, a Shantanu-less Whitman A, and Hunter. On the other hand, Kurtis's strength mostly seems to come from tossupage, so things may not break down that way at Nationals.
catsasslippers
Lulu

Post by catsasslippers »

I'd just like to point out that Stuyvesant's Team for NAQT has 3 B team players and the 4th highest scoring A team member. Our team might make still make the playoffs, but it's a severly depleted team.
"... but not so if you're a structuralist! You're happy. You're french. You're very good looking. Very overpaid." - Sandra Blakely
Nina Charap
Stuyvesant High School '08
Emory University '12
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

catsasslippers wrote:I'd just like to point out that Stuyvesant's Team for NAQT has 3 B team players and the 4th highest scoring A team member. Our team might make still make the playoffs, but it's a severly depleted team.
Hopefully, a relatively full A-team will make PACE. You guys really should be playing at at least one national competition this year.
killbill_07
Lulu

Post by killbill_07 »

After looking over the results from the Midwest Championship, Kurtis seems to be the likely leading candidate for the top individual performance honors at the NAQT HSNCT, if only for the fact that he accounts for nearly all of the tossup conversion of a potential top 10 team.
- Homer Simpson

- George W Bush