JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

OK. I've finally spoken to Cameron and we're ready to announce this thing (it would be much appreciated if this forum's mod (sabine01, I think?) would change the thread title appropriately. Thanks). Our tournament does still lack a name, though.

This currently unnamed JV event will take place at Maggie Walker GS in Richmond, VA on April 26, 2008. We are allowing all freshmen and sophomores as well as juniors and seniors on teams that have not qualified for any national tournament. If you feel for any reason that your team has a player that should merit an exception, post in this thread or email me at SeaAngel147 at aol dot com, preferably including links to stats. We're willing to work with people, especially if you don't make us hunt down your stats. Middle school players/teams are also welcome.

We are writing enough questions for seven rounds; how many rounds I can guarantee each team depends on our field size. Cameron is much more mathematically inclined than me and he thinks we can get everyone 7 rounds with 16+ teams. So you should register so we can plan.

Fees:
$50 base fee per team.
-$5 each additional team.
-$10 for a working buzzer set (please note that this is a change).
-$5 for 100+ miles traveled.
-$5 for registering before April 14.
Question set: $10
Clarification Edit: You do not have to attend purchase questions. If you are interested in buying questions without attending, please email me at the address provided above.

CHANGE: Register here
Directions to our school can be found on our team's website

Registration information will hopefully be posted there as well at some point in the future...

Another edit:
I should have mentioned this earlier (and it was in the previous thread) but the format is 20 pyramidal toss-ups with 30 point bonuses. Basically A-level NAQT without powers. As for difficulty, we are trying to be somewhere in the neighborhood of A-level/VHSL/Battle of the Brains. Some questions may prove to be...learning experiences. Seriously, though, the more difficult questions will be designed to help teams get better at mainstream quizbowl (nothing too out there).
Last edited by Blackboard Monitor Vimes on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Re: JV tournament at Maggie Walker: April 26, 2008

Field Update:
Bassett High School
Clover Hill High School
Collegiate (2 teams)
Freeman High School
Hanover High School
James Monroe
Meadowbrook High School (2 teams)
St. Christopher's (2 teams)
St. Gertrude
Trinity Episcopal School (2 teams)
Tucker High School (2 teams)

Buying questions but not coming:
Georgetown Day School
Hunter
Kellenberg
State College
TJ Sci Tech
Last edited by Blackboard Monitor Vimes on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
intothenegs
Wakka

Post by intothenegs »

Will this tournament be PACE affiliated?
Chuhern Hwang
James Monroe High School Class of 2009
University of Virginia Class of 2013
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

Our tournament does still lack a name, though.
Quint Carr Academic Competition I
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
TheNuttyHopper
Lulu

Post by TheNuttyHopper »

wowitsquinthaha wrote:
Our tournament does still lack a name, though.
Quint Carr Academic Competition I
Seconded.
"Lauren Feldman is a better history player than Dan Puma like I'm the Grand Witchdoctor of Timbuktu."
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Please disregard Quint.

Anyways, checks for this tournament should be made out to Maggie Walker Governor's School. I hope to talk to Dr. Chuck about PACE affiliation today.
Sam L,
PACE
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

It's okay as long as "JV" is not restricted just to grades 9-10. My understanding (with Bykowski's) is that if the competitive event is open to teams that have not qualified for nationals yet, we're good with it as a qualifier. (Illinois terminology of "tournabouts" [my spelling]).
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Pin-tailed Manakin wrote:It's okay as long as "JV" is not restricted just to grades 9-10. My understanding (with Bykowski's) is that if the competitive event is open to teams that have not qualified for nationals yet, we're good with it as a qualifier. (Illinois terminology of "tournabouts" [my spelling]).
National qualification is the primary criterion we're using.
Sam L,
PACE
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Can we install a poll into this thread to gauge the interest in calling this tournament QCAT I? Also, I believe NuttyHopper is 2 votes.
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

wowitsquinthaha wrote:Can we install a poll into this thread to gauge the interest in calling this tournament QCAT I? Also, I believe NuttyHopper is 2 votes.
Nutman does not get 2 votes. And it will not be QCAT. It may, however, be DJCAT because that's at least amusing (Dabney Jefferson Carr Academic Tournament). Unfortunately, Quint, we may demand that you actually do some work on this tournament before you get to name it.
Sam L,
PACE
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Yeah, I dunno if its worth it...
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

I'll make that 2 votes.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

THE REAL EPPLER CASTS HIS VOTE! I know that some of my other loyal followers will support me.
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

3 votes.
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Hate to say I told you so...And Puma you can send Paul Fontelo as JV.
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

wowitsquinthaha wrote:Hate to say I told you so...And Puma you can send Paul Fontelo as JV.
Quint, the world does not revolve around you. We'll agree on a name as a team at practice sometime...
Sam L,
PACE
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Hey Quint. Stop trashing this thread! You're interfering with Sarah's project here.

Moderator. Is there anyway you can delete all this nonsense on the Quint Carr naming chatter, or at least split it off into a separate junk thread somewhere deep in the bowels of this forum ?
flylikeaneagle
Lulu

Post by flylikeaneagle »

Any clue as to the question type? I'm from Maryland and if the random string of letters is a clue to question type, I have no clue. Will they be like NAQT style or shorter?
Anupama Badami
Centennial High School
Tournament Director 2009-2010
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

flylikeaneagle wrote:Any clue as to the question type? I'm from Maryland and if the random string of letters is a clue to question type, I have no clue. Will they be like NAQT style or shorter?
They're house written, 20 Pyramidal tossups with 30 point bonuses. Hopefully they will roughly correspond to regular NAQT A level questions, but there's no computational math.
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

wowitsquinthaha wrote:
flylikeaneagle wrote:Any clue as to the question type? I'm from Maryland and if the random string of letters is a clue to question type, I have no clue. Will they be like NAQT style or shorter?
They're house written, 20 Pyramidal tossups with 30 point bonuses. Hopefully they will roughly correspond to regular NAQT A level questions, but there's no computational math.
In this case, please disregard any previous request to disregard Quint. The only addition I would make is that they may be slightly shorter than A level as we're shooting for 4-6 lines, but I'm not sure of NAQT length guidelines. Sorry; I should have mentioned question format above. I'll edit that in now...
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Coming soon: invitation emails. I'm in the process of acquiring our team's mailing list from Anant, but I'm not sure who's on it, so if anyone has the VHSL schools I would very much appreciate that information. The emails will most likely be sent Tuesday/Wednesday.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

The email is sending! (and has been for over an hour; our mailing list is rather massive). Hopefully it will be done soon because it wouldn't let me enter the full mailing list and I've gotten three emails since then that I can't currently answer... So hopefully most teams in the area should receive an invitation email soon, and if it's taking me a while to answer any questions via email, I'm not just ignoring you.

To answer Tucker's coach's question (if she ends up back here before I regain the ability to send email): We do not currently have a field cap and there is definitely space for more teams (especially since we've got two teams registered from one school as I type this).

Edit: Some sort of massive error occurred with that email...hopefully it will successfully sent soon.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

The email has now successfully been sent! About 100 or so bounced, but hopefully everyone on MLWGS's mailing list that is still active received an invitation.
Sam L,
PACE
intothenegs
Wakka

Post by intothenegs »

Is there an official name now?
Chuhern Hwang
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Not yet, unfortunately. We haven't been able to iron out exactly how to label it.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

The field update has been updated! We are now at 7 teams, which is one less than we need to make this happen successfully. However, we have no upper limit (although we may make one if it's necessary, but that seems unlikely) so please keep registering (and soon) so we can plan the logistics of this tournament.
Sam L,
PACE
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:...hopefully everyone on MLWGS's mailing list that is still active received an invitation.
Received one from Dr. B's e-mail address.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Howard wrote:
MLWGS-Gir wrote:...hopefully everyone on MLWGS's mailing list that is still active received an invitation.
Received one from Dr. B's e-mail address.
That's how we finally had to send it...mine was not cooperating. We did discover that the addresses were separated by commas not semicolons, though, which I think is what freaked out my AOL. However, whatever the school software is notified Dr. b. of the problem and we fixed...once again I apologize for the delay. Glad you got it, though.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

OK....so we've got two weeks to go and only 7 teams registered...I encourage you to please register soon if you're interested.
Sam L,
PACE
intothenegs
Wakka

Post by intothenegs »

MLWGS-Gir wrote: Some questions may prove to be...learning experiences. Seriously, though, the more difficult questions will be designed to help teams get better at mainstream quizbowl (nothing too out there).
I'm guessing this means learning experiences for the teams attending? So, expect slightly higher than VHSL/NAQT-A difficulty?

What will the playoff format for this tournament be?
Chuhern Hwang
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:OK....so we've got two weeks to go and only 7 teams registered...I encourage you to please register soon if you're interested.
We're interested, but I've only got two confirmations. A third is possible over the next couple days. I'll do this trip with three students, but probably won't make a two-hour trip with less than that.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

intothenegs wrote:
MLWGS-Gir wrote: Some questions may prove to be...learning experiences. Seriously, though, the more difficult questions will be designed to help teams get better at mainstream quizbowl (nothing too out there).
I'm guessing this means learning experiences for the teams attending? So, expect slightly higher than VHSL/NAQT-A difficulty?

What will the playoff format for this tournament be?
Some of the questions may be of a slightly higher difficulty due to issues in defining difficulty level. As for play-off format, it will depend on the number of teams we have. Most likely though, it will be single elim beginning after round 5 with a consolation bracket to keep everyone playing as long as possible.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

The field update has been updated (a bit). I know 3-4 schools are currently working on finalizing how many teams they're bringing, so it will hopefully be expanded again shortly. Also, I've added a new category and will edit in the clarification to the first post that you can buy questions for practice purposes without attending, as State College expressed interest in doing for their middle schoolers. We could most likely get you an electronic copy fairly easy or a paper copy if you'll be at VCU's upcoming tournament or if you think you can find us amongst the chaos at NAQT or PACE Nationals.
Sam L,
PACE
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Howard wrote:We're interested, but I've only got two confirmations. A third is possible over the next couple days. I'll do this trip with three students, but probably won't make a two-hour trip with less than that.
We seem to be stuck at two with little chance at a third, so plan on us not being there unless I contact you with other information.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Is there no way a duo could play?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Deesy Does It wrote:Is there no way a duo could play?
John said he wouldn't be going with a team of two due to the costs of attending, travel time & such.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Howard wrote:
Howard wrote:We're interested, but I've only got two confirmations. A third is possible over the next couple days. I'll do this trip with three students, but probably won't make a two-hour trip with less than that.
We seem to be stuck at two with little chance at a third, so plan on us not being there unless I contact you with other information.
Thanks for letting me know.
Sam L,
PACE
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

We might be bringing a team or two down. I'll let you know early next week.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

We have now named this tournament:

House-written Academic Venture Of Chaos (HAVOC)
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

The field update has been updated; most of those who have expressed interest have now registered. We currently have 12-13 teams (pending Meadowbrook B) and are still taking registrations/question orders from non-attending teams.
Sam L,
PACE
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

Unfortunately, due to travel difficulties, GDS will not be able to send any teams. However, we would like to buy the questions, and we may be able to find a few people if the name is changed to Quint Carr Academic Competition.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
GameTheory
Lulu

Post by GameTheory »

Hopper wrote:Unfortunately, due to travel difficulties, GDS will not be able to send any teams. However, we would like to buy the questions, and we may be able to find a few people if the name is changed to Quint Carr Academic Competition.
TJ also wanted to send teams, but all the sponsors are busy and none of the kids that would be attending have parents who are certified sponsors from FCPS. With that being said, those JV students would like us to purchase questions and run a kind of "mini-tourney" as consolation for them not being able to go.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

GameTheory wrote:
Hopper wrote:Unfortunately, due to travel difficulties, GDS will not be able to send any teams. However, we would like to buy the questions, and we may be able to find a few people if the name is changed to Quint Carr Academic Competition.
TJ also wanted to send teams, but all the sponsors are busy and none of the kids that would be attending have parents who are certified sponsors from FCPS. With that being said, those JV students would like us to purchase questions and run a kind of "mini-tourney" as consolation for them not being able to go.
Sorry you guys can't come; I'll put you both on the "buying questions" list. And no, we're not naming the tournament after Quint (however disappointing that may be to Ian).
Sam L,
PACE
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

We are also sorry, but Kellenberg will not, after all, be able to make it as well. Getting enough people to go, some scheduling conflicts, and the cost of gasoline (day after Earth Day!), all contributed to this decision. Please put us on the purchase question list.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

BroNi wrote:We are also sorry, but Kellenberg will not, after all, be able to make it as well. Getting enough people to go, some scheduling conflicts, and the cost of gasoline (day after Earth Day!), all contributed to this decision. Please put us on the purchase question list.
Will do. Also, the field update has been updated, and we have now reached 16 teams, meaning the top 4 will qualify for PACE Nationals.
Sam L,
PACE
intothenegs
Wakka

Post by intothenegs »

What time will the tournament start and when is registration?
Chuhern Hwang
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

intothenegs wrote:What time will the tournament start and when is registration?
Registration 8-8:45 It should start around 9 or soon thereafter.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

MLWGS-Gir wrote: Will do. Also, the field update has been updated, and we have now reached 16 teams, meaning the top 4 will qualify for PACE Nationals.
Correction: I believe we need 20 teams to qualify 4 for PACE. So, we will qualify 2 teams.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

jbarnes112358 wrote:
MLWGS-Gir wrote: Will do. Also, the field update has been updated, and we have now reached 16 teams, meaning the top 4 will qualify for PACE Nationals.
Correction: I believe we need 20 teams to qualify 4 for PACE. So, we will qualify 2 teams.
Okay. I must have misunderstood the explanation in the PACE qualifiers thread: " a minimum of 16 teams in the field (top 4 teams get automatic bids)." However, PACE's website does specify that its the top 2 for tournaments with under 20 teams. My bad.
Sam L,
PACE
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

the brackets will be named "Dabney" and "Carr"
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor