Prediction: Florida's Commissioner's Academic Challenge

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
hardeecoach
Lulu

Prediction: Florida's Commissioner's Academic Challenge

Post by hardeecoach »

Any predictions for this years' CAC? Is South Fork representing Martin or is it an all-star team? Escambia and Polk look good for Div. I, Div. II has Leon and Martin, and Hardee is on the lookout for Suwannee in Div. III . Taylor could have been a Div. III contender, but failed to register in time. Ransom should have represented Dade in Div.I which also is not sending a team. Any thoughts?
Peggy Saddler
Coach, Hardee Senior High
Wauchula, Florida
tomburr
Lulu

Re: Prediction: Florida's Commissioner's Academic Challenge

Post by tomburr »

South fork will be pretty much representing Martin County, with 3 of our normal team members on the CAC team all the time.

This will be my first time at CAC, due to prior conflicts for the last two years. The format still has me scratching my head sometimes, as well as the absurd range in question difficulty.
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

I think the format leaves most scratching their heads every year.

As far as predictions go, I've seen Hardee with stronger teams than this years version (kudos to Jackson and Gary from past years), but I would still say you guys are the front runners this year. Keep an eye on Suwanee and Levy--I just found out that they have a practice league in the fall, but I'm not sure how they choose their teams. In Div II, I'm just glad that St. Lucie has finally been moved up into Div I, now if only Leon would move up :wink: . I think the favorite would have to be Martin after South Fork's performance this year. Keep an eye on Alachua and Leon, they always have strong teams. For Div I, I have no idea.
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

Leon is looking pretty okay this year. 3 from Rickards, 1 from Leon, 1 from Lincoln, 1 from Chiles

Allan Long
Saiem Gilani
Emily Moline
Jeremy Katz
Tissa Khosla
Rasheedat Zakare
Saiem Gilani
Florida State '12, '1X
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

MCDoug wrote:I think the format leaves most scratching their heads every year.

As far as predictions go, I've seen Hardee with stronger teams than this years version (kudos to Jackson and Gary from past years), but I would still say you guys are the front runners this year. Keep an eye on Suwanee and Levy--I just found out that they have a practice league in the fall, but I'm not sure how they choose their teams. In Div II, I'm just glad that St. Lucie has finally been moved up into Div I, now if only Leon would move up :wink: . I think the favorite would have to be Martin after South Fork's performance this year. Keep an eye on Alachua and Leon, they always have strong teams. For Div I, I have no idea.
Doug, can you tell us about the Levy team?
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

Sorry Billy, I can't tell you a thing, because I don't really know anything. I saw a few matches after school this year between multiple schools, but I don't know who's on the team. I was just impressed to find out that they even had some sort of a league that encompasses Cheifland, Bronson, Bradford, Branford, and some other schools. My money is still on Hardee in Div III.
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

Note: I heard all of this secondhand.

Hardee won Div III for the 4th time in 5 years. Mrs. Saddler was selected the coach for Team Florida. Congratulations on both of these accomplishments to all the people at Hardee.

Martin County (aka South Fork) won Div II for the first time ever. Tom made team Florida. Congrats guys--I guess all your work paid off.

I have no idea what happened in Div I.
tomburr
Lulu

Post by tomburr »

I believe Pinellas (Pine-ellis as some say there) won Div. 1, with Polk coming in second. As for team Florida, I was unable to make the team practices on the two days prior to the competition due to graduation, and therefore ineligible. We could only send a junior from a different high school as Martin's rep.