Chicago Open 2008: call for head editor, side events

Old college threads.
setht
Auron

Chicago Open 2008: call for head editor, side events

Post by setht »

Hi all,

I won't be able to edit Chicago Open this year. If you're interested in stepping up as head editor/writer, or helping out with editing/writing for a couple subjects, please email me ([email protected]). Chicago Open has been packet-submission the past couple years, but if one or more people want to write it from scratch that's fine.

If you're interested in running a side event, please also email me. The traditional trash tournament, assuming people step up to produce it, has a reserved spot on Sunday. After that, picking which events will take place if too many events are proposed, and the order for picking spots in the weekend schedule, will be decided based on some combination of audience size and a first-come, first-serve basis.

I think I'll be able to take care of getting rooms. Whoever winds up running Chicago Open will be able to choose what weekend they want, subject to possible reservation constraints.

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Re: Chicago Open 2008: call for head editor, side events

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I am writing another history doubles tournament that I'd like to host at CO. I would like to stake a claim to the Friday night slot for it.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

I would offer to write another installment of my Experiment all-subject tourney and host it whenever. Same as before, except I'd hopefully get a co-writer for science.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

One person's desires shouldn't count much, but I'm begging whoever decides to edit CO to consider one of the four weekends in July, as I'll be traveling in August, and missing CO for the first time last year has left a hole in my heart that will never heal. I'm happy to bribe the head editor with food and drinks and very early packet submission if a July weekend is chosen.

[Note: I realize that, depending on who steps up to edit, this request may indeed result in more likelihood that an August date will be chosen, but I remain hopeful and obsequious.]
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Yeah I'd probably also prefer a July date.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:One person's desires shouldn't count much, but I'm begging whoever decides to edit CO to consider one of the four weekends in July, as I'll be traveling in August, and missing CO for the first time last year has left a hole in my heart that will never heal. I'm happy to bribe the head editor with food and drinks and very early packet submission if a July weekend is chosen.

[Note: I realize that, depending on who steps up to edit, this request may indeed result in more likelihood that an August date will be chosen, but I remain hopeful and obsequious.]
Again, one person's desires shouldn't count much (especially mine, as I willingly admit that I'm not all that good), but I think I may be overseas throughout July. However, I won't find out about that for another couple of weeks.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
yoda4554
Rikku

Post by yoda4554 »

I'm happy to chip in writing the trash tournament, as I don't plan on being at the Open, so long as there are a couple other people in on it as well.
Dave Letzler--Williams '06, Temple '08, CUNY and bastard teams '12ish
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

Post by EncyclopediaCDRom »

For the 2008 Chicago Open et al, I would also prefer a July weekend when UIC is still in its summer semester, for I would like to have some fellow UIC students as teammates should I not be able to reunite my 2007 Chicago Open squad with all three of my comrades. I also look forward to another history doubles, experimental doubles, literature doubles, and trash quadruples, but I would probably be more useful for any science doubles as a reader.

Happy early Good Friday,
Rom Masrour
Rom Masrour
president of RomNation at the races
2011 INDYCAR, 2012 NASCAR, 2012 GRAND-AM, & 2012 American Le Mans Series hard card holder
licensed crew member for car #51 in the 2011-2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series & car #15 in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series
"I'm glad you were at Kentucky for Ed's win instead of me."
"Rommy is better known in the paddock than half the drivers are."
"Drivers love Rommy even more than Rommy loves them."
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Hey guys,

It looks like I'm going to be head-editing this mess (instead of writing any side tournament for it). I'm inclined to favor July 19th as a date, so my question right now is: who would come to CO but couldn't on that date? The other option is probably July 12th, so you can express preference for that if you want. It will be a packet-submission tournament...so, start working on those packets now for heaven's sake, you know about what's going to have to be in them. Also, if you'd be interested in doing some freelance writing in any area, submitting a freelance packet, or if you'd like to join the editing staff (especially if you're someone who can't come to CO, but could write a few or more questions in some areas) - don't hesitate to email me at [email protected].
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

It looks like I haven't yet posted this, although this has been kicking around for a while:

I'm in the process of writing a social science subject tournament that will contain an as-yet-undetermined amount of philosophy. Jerry Vinokurov has graciously agreed to work on the set as well. If there's interest, I'd like to do this at Chicago Open, but if there's not enough interest and people prefer to play other things, it may find its home at the upcoming 24 hours of quizbowl event.

PS - If the audience demands, I might try to include a little literary criticism (like, no more than 5 questions) and make it a "thought"-type tournament. If you have strong feelings on that, let me know.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I'm strongly pro-"thought" tournament.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White