ACF in 2008-2009

Old college threads.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

ACF in 2008-2009

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Hello all,

ACF is ready to announce its schedule for the 2008-2009 season, and we've made one very notable change. Next year, there will be four ACF tournaments: ACF Fall, ACF Winter, ACF Regionals, and ACF Nationals. ACF Winter will take place on MLK weekend. The idea was born out of the traditional success of Michigan's MLK tournament and its mirrors, and Michigan has graciously agreed to turn the reins over to ACF. ACF Winter will, like Fall and Regionals, be a nationwide multi-site packet submission tournament. The difficulty will be between Fall and Regionals. The plan to create ACF Winter was part of our motivation to move Nationals to the end of April, and to further accommodate the new tournament we will be moving Regionals to the first weekend in March. Thus, the schedule will be:

ACF Fall - November 8th/9th, 2008
Head Editor: Andrew Hart
Science Editor: TBD

ACF Winter - January 17th/18th, 2009
Head Editor: Jerry Vinokurov
Science Editor: N/A

ACF Regionals - February 28th/March 1st, 2009
Head Editors: Jonathan Magin/Eric Mukherjee
Science Editor: N/A

ACF Nationals - April 25th, 2009
Head Editor: Matt Weiner
Science Editor: TBD

While the schedule is set, the editing staff is subject to change. Additionally, while I've listed the head editors for each tournament, they are not necessarily the only editors working on those tournaments. We have also come up with a list of promising new editors whom we will be contacting shortly with an offer to help us out with Fall. We're confident, as always, that next year's tournaments will be even better than they have been in the past.

At this time I will open up host bidding for next year's Fall and Nationals tournaments. If you wish to bid to host Fall, email Andrew Hart at limozeen at gmail dot com. If you wish to bid to host Nationals, email Matt Weiner at weinerm at vcu dot edu. Winter and Regionals host bidding will come later.

I'm excited about our new lineup, and I hope to see you all at this year's nationals and all four tournaments next year.

Eric Kwartler
2007-2008 Editor-in-Chief, Academic Competition Federation
Eric Kwartler
Alumnus, University of Texas School of Law
cdcarter
Yuna

Re: ACF in 2008-2009

Post by cdcarter »

Kit Cloudkicker wrote:ACF Winter will take place on MLK weekend. The idea was born out of the traditional success of Michigan's MLK tournament and its mirrors, and Michigan has graciously agreed to turn the reins over to ACF. ACF Winter will, like Fall and Regionals, be a nationwide multi-site packet submission tournament. The difficulty will be between Fall and Regionals.
Awesome stuff here. Will Regionals continue to be, as it was this year, a regular difficulty packet submission event, or will it go to a more prestigious Regionals difficulty?
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

While your association of "difficulty" with "prestige" warms my heart, I wouldn't expect a noticeable hike in the difficulty level of Regionals. While we might not pull our punches quite so often, it will still be at least very near "regular" difficulty.
Eric Kwartler
Alumnus, University of Texas School of Law
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

Will there be another EFT?
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

SwissBoy wrote:Will there be another EFT?
That's not really an ACF thing, but if you believe this there will be.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Fuck yes there will be another EFT; it will have a 0/0 Guitar Hero distribution. Also, start writing those regionals packets now.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

555 95472 wrote:
Fuck yes there will be another EFT; it will have a 0/0 Guitar Hero distribution. Also, start writing those regionals packets now.
I wish to confirm the statement of my esteemed colleague.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

Post by EncyclopediaCDRom »

Will there still be the Chicago Open (CO) around July 2008 and the Illinois Open around November 2008? Will there be literature doubles, science doubles, and trash around this summer's CO? I know that Bruce Arthur has already been writing history doubles toss-ups and even bonuses.

Happy early Ides of March,
Rom Masrour
Rom Masrour
president of RomNation at the races
2011 INDYCAR, 2012 NASCAR, 2012 GRAND-AM, & 2012 American Le Mans Series hard card holder
licensed crew member for car #51 in the 2011-2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series & car #15 in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series
"I'm glad you were at Kentucky for Ed's win instead of me."
"Rommy is better known in the paddock than half the drivers are."
"Drivers love Rommy even more than Rommy loves them."
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Im sure there will be, but they aren't official ACF tournaments.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White