Tournament at the Arch (Varsity/JV) on March 1st @ UGA

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
vig180
Wakka

Tournament at the Arch (Varsity/JV) on March 1st @ UGA

Post by vig180 »

The University of Georgia is pleased to announce its second annual
Tournament At The Arch (TATA) to be held on the campus of the
University of Georgia on March 1st, 2008. Note that this is the last
tournament before the GATA state tournament and also that this is an
SAT date, albeit with no subject tests. Questions will be
house-written and will be similar to the GATA State distribution,
although there may be a sprinkling of current events/general
knowledge/pop culture. We will have both JV and Varsity divisions.

The fee structure is:
$70 for each initial team
$60 for each additional team
-$5 for each WORKING buzzer set
-$5 for each competent worker (IF needed- please let us know if you can provide worker(s) and we will let you know if they will be needed)
Travel Discounts for far-away teams (i.e. NC, TN, AL, South GA, etc.)
are negotiable. Please let us know if you will require a hotel as soon
as possible so we can take steps to reserve a block of rooms.

If you are interested in coming, please contact us at
[email protected] . Once we figure out a webmaster we will also
be posting updates on our website at http://www.uga.edu/quizbowl We hope to
see you in Athens in the Spring!

Sincerely,
UGA Quizbowl
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Field Update

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

A couple updates:

First, the current field looks like this:

VARSITY
Crescent
Hebron Christian
Central Gwinnett
Sequoyah
Alpharetta
South Gwinnett
Brookwood - 2
Norcross
Heritage

JR. VARSITY
Crescent
Hebron Christian
Central Gwinnett - 2
Sequoyah
Alpharetta
Brookwood - 2
Norcross

We are still taking registrations in both the varsity and JV tournaments. Please email [email protected] to sign your team up.

Secondly, there is a gymnastics meet on campus at 4 PM on March 1. That may not sound like much, but gymnastics at Georgia usually draws in the neighborhood of 10,000 fans. I don't think it will pose much of a problem, though, since the arena is in a different part of campus, and the really bad traffic will be post-meet (like 6:15-6:30) while our tournament will not go that long. Depending on the number of rounds we end up with, playoff teams leaving our tournament might run into a little pre-meet traffic between 3 and 4, but it's easily avoided and shouldn't delay anyone.

However, there will be some impact. While there are many hotels in Athens, there's also a high school debate tournament that weekend, so I would really encourage teams that need to stay overnight to get reservations now to prevent possible problems later. Of course, since most of our teams will be within a morning's drive, I don't anticipate this being a huge problem.

As always, please contact the team if you have any questions. We're happy to help resolve any issues that might prevent you from attending what we hope will be a great tournament.
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

I didn't realize this was a split Varsity/JV tournament. Chattahoochee will bring 2 Varsity teams and 1-2 JV teams. We are looking forward to a great pre-State tune-up. Thanks for putting this together guys!
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Field Update/Varsity Registration Closed

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

I have more news regarding this tournament.

First, our Varsity field is now closed. We will continue to take teams on a waiting list to replace any teams that drop (as someone always does).

In Junior Varsity, we will be able to accommodate TWO more teams, as of right now. After that, we will again use a waiting list.

Our current fields look like this: (updated 2/18)

VARSITY
Crescent
Hebron
Central Gwinnett
Sequoyah
Alpharetta
South Gwinnett
Brookwood - 2
Norcross
Heritage
Grayson - 2
Southside - 2
Chattahoochee
Walton
Dorman - 2
Kennesaw Mountain

JUNIOR VARSITY
Crescent
Hebron
Central Gwinnett - 2
Sequoyah
Alpharetta
Brookwood - 2
Norcross
Grayson
Chattahoochee - 2
Walton
Eastside (GA)

If you are one of these teams, or know one of these teams, and have any corrections to this information, please let me know as soon as possible. I sent out an email a couple days ago to all registered teams (except those that signed up this week) and asked for updates, but received none.

Any amendments to your school's registration, or any new JV sign-ups, can be directed to [email protected].

As always, we look forward to seeing everyone on March 1.
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

Field (slightly) updated, along with this:

We have been able to reserve a couple extra rooms, so I'm going to re-open varsity registration. We won't be able to take a whole lot more teams, though, so if you're on the fence, please register soon to ensure a spot in the field.

It looks like there is still plenty of space in the JV field, although I might reassign some rooms from there to varsity if there is enough demand. I've hesitated to do that so far because I didn't want to split the varsity up into two buildings. As you might have gathered from that, we'll be in a different location on campus from our previous tournaments, but I'll provide more information on that to registered teams when we get closer to the event.
krazydragon
Lulu

Re: Tournament at the Arch (Varsity/JV) on March 1st @ UGA

Post by krazydragon »

Anybody know the full results of the tournament?

All I know so far is :

Varsity :

Semifinals
Dorman B def. Brookwood A
Dorman A def. Chattahoochee
Vamsi Tata
Brookwood High School '09
Ben_Dodson
Lulu

Post by Ben_Dodson »

In the quarters Chattahoochee def Norcross 360-260

In the finals Dorman A def Dorman B.
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

JV:
Semifinals-
Walton defeats Norcross
Alpharetta defeats Dorman

Finals-
Walton defeats Alpharetta
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I'm hoping stats were kept? Also, I'm curious to hear reactions to the questions here, since Truman State just ran a tournament using the same questions on Saturday as well.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

I'm a bit interested in hearing about the questions since I overheard UGA say the weekend before that they had yet to start writing questions for the tournament.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

RESULTS AND THANKS

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

EDIT: Updated with JV stats

I'm pleased to report the results from UGA Quizbowl's Second Annual Tournament at the Arch. We welcomed 22 varsity and 12 JV teams to our campus. We thank all of them for their patience with some early delays with opening the second building (hopefully, we'll have the whole thing back in Journalism next time...) and hope that everyone enjoyed the tournament.

I want to thank all the members of our club for their help staffing and writing the tournament, and I also want to thank Kent and his team at Truman State for sharing those writing and editing responsibilities. This would have certainly been a much more difficult task without their assistance. While I wish the set had been a little more polished, I'm generally pleased with how it turned out. (And to answer Billy's assertion, it is not the case that we wrote the entire tournament within one week. I'm not sure exactly what he heard, so I don't know if we were joking around or just talking about how we needed to get writing on what was left, but we'd certainly been working on questions for more than six days...)

Now, the results...

In the varsity division, Dorman A defeated Dorman B in the second-straight UGA tournament to be decided by a Dorman intramural match. The JV champion was Walton, who defeated Alpharetta. (It looks like most of the playoff results have already been posted anyway...)

Stats are available at these locations:
Varsity Prelims
JV Prelims
We did not keep individual stats, so ignore those pages in the reports.

Again, I hope everyone enjoyed the event, and if anyone has any feedback about the tournament or the questions, it can be emailed to [email protected]. I'll be sure to answer any questions or concerns you have.

Thanks again to those in attendance, and best of luck for the rest of your season!
Noah
Georgia '08