RESULTS: ICT Warm-up @ Illinois, 4/5/2008

Old college threads.
millionwaves
Auron

RESULTS: ICT Warm-up @ Illinois, 4/5/2008

Post by millionwaves »

What is going on here?

This is an announcement regarding the University of Illinois Academic Buzzer Team's mirror of the ICT Warm-up. I am Trygve Meade, and I will serve as the tournament director. This is a tournament being written by Matt Weiner with help from Jerry Vinokurov that will be played using NAQT style rules and questions. Packets will be timed, and the distribution will be roughly similar to what you can expect for Division I at the NAQT ICT. There is no packet submission solicited or required for this tournament.

How much will it cost me to play in this tournament?

+$100 – Base Fee per team.
-$10 – Discount for 2nd team, and all teams after from the same school.
-$5 – Buzzer discount per school.
-$20 – Staff discount (either moderating or scorekeeping) per school.
-$5 – Clock discount per school (i.e. a clock you would see at a time NAQT match).
-$10 – Travel discount per team for traveling over 200 miles one way to the tournament.

Minimum Fee per Team: $60.

But I'm not affiliated with a college, or maybe I'd like to play on a bastard team. Can I still play?

Anyone is welcome and invited to compete in this tournament. It is open to high schoolers, college students, coaches, and those not affiliated with any school. If you're a high school and want a challenging tournament to play that will prepare you for the HSNCT, please e-mail me; it may be the case that this tournament will serve your need. We will be giving prizes to the top team that has members that all qualify for Division II. If there are many teams that qualify for division two that register, we may consider running a separate division for them to play in, although the question set will not differ from the rest of the field.

Who should I get in touch with to sign up for this?

To register for this tournament, please e-mail tournament director Trygve Meade at [email protected]. Please indicate how many teams you are bringing and any discounts you think you qualify for, as well as if any of your teams qualify as DII so that we can determine whether there will be demand for a separate field.

Also, if you're interested in helping to staff this tournament, please let me know. Since this is a timed tournament, we would like to have scorekeepers in each room. We might have to limit the number of teams that we take depending on our staff, so please register early. I'll post more details as the date approaches.

See you in April,
Trygve Meade
Tournament Director
Last edited by millionwaves on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
NotjustoldWASPs
Wakka

Post by NotjustoldWASPs »

I can tell you with some certainty that WashU is definitely interested
Neel Kotra
WUSTL '10
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

(I'm out, forget it)
Last edited by Maxwell Sniffingwell on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

*sigh*.... I will be attending the GlobeMed Summit in Chicago ..... but will have to pass through UC to get there so it will be so close yet so far..... I am guessing that there will be interest though from the rest of the team for this one.

Oh, and sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, Tryg.... Christopher asked again in practice tonight and I don't think many people other than him were interested since it was over spring break.... but he said he might come to help out or something if I do recall correctly.
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Notre Dame is also tentatively interested.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

EDIT: Just kidding. That is in fact the day of our HS tournament.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
jhn31
Wakka

Post by jhn31 »

Mississippi State is interested in attending.
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

UIC will attend UIUC ICT warm-up mirror.

Post by EncyclopediaCDRom »

UIC, or at least myself, can attend. I hope to bring Tim Hartman and Arsalan Khan, my best open teammates. I now look especially fondly on NIU's brilliant, ranked 2003 football season.
Happy belated St. Valentine's Day,
Rom Masrour
suds1000
Wakka

Re: Announcement: ICT Warm-up @ Illinois, 4/5/2008

Post by suds1000 »

There exists a minute possibility that I may be able to play in this tournament as well...I'll know better in a couple of weeks.
Sudheer
Resident Old Dude
Faculty, Emory University (no QB affiliation)

Active Years:
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2001 - 2006)
Detroit Country Day School (1998-2001)
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Fucking awesome.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

We'll likely be there... it might take some financial finagling. But this sounds totally awesome.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

I haven't decided for sure if I am going to this tournament, but as of now I am intending to go.

If anyone needs/wants a teammate, or potentially wants to be on a team with me, you can e-mail me at [email protected]
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

The field for this tournament is going to be capped at 18 due to room availability. I've got a nebulous number of teams that could be 18 if everyone sends as many as they say they might, so if you're interested in this tournament, please e-mail me as soon as possible. I might be able to get some more rooms and cap the field higher if there's enough interest, so again, e-mail me if you haven't yet.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

We've had a few people drop out, and so we are down to 7 people for two teams. If anyone needs a team, and would like to round out one of the Notre Dame teams, we'd be happy to take one.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Any field update?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

Post by EncyclopediaCDRom »

One of my promsing teammates has decided to round out another team, and my biggest academic booster needs his car to be repaired. If Arsalan Khan cannot make it to UIUC, I might have to play solo again, and I would definitely rent a car again. Does Notre Dame still need an eighth player? Can any free agents meet me Saturday morning in Chicago or at UIUC? Does anybody from the University of Chicago need a ride faster than Amtrak/Metra? If I can help you and/or you can help me, please feel free to e-mail me. I just now finally figured out how to get around the April Fool's Day jokes about bass fishing by merely logging on.

Happy Autism Awareness Day,
Rom Masrour
[email protected]
UIC/CPS
Rom Masrour
president of RomNation at the races
2011 INDYCAR, 2012 NASCAR, 2012 GRAND-AM, & 2012 American Le Mans Series hard card holder
licensed crew member for car #51 in the 2011-2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series & car #15 in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series
"I'm glad you were at Kentucky for Ed's win instead of me."
"Rommy is better known in the paddock than half the drivers are."
"Drivers love Rommy even more than Rommy loves them."
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Sorry about the confusion Rom!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
millionwaves
Auron

Re: RESULTS: ICT Warm-up @ Illinois, 4/5/2008

Post by millionwaves »

The Illinois site of FICHTE has just concluded. Congratulations to Chicago A (Seth Teitler, Selene Koo, and David Seal), who defeated Team Byrne/Lafer/Westbrook/Dees by winning both games of an advantaged final to take the championship. Illinois finished in third, and Washington University A rounded out the top bracket. Chicago B finished ahead of the rest of the DII field to take the DII championship with no need for a final. Full statistics will be posted in short order.

Thanks to Matt Weiner and Jerry Vinokurov for putting together the set. I think many people at our site really enjoyed it. Thanks also to James Sanner, Brandon Cheney, Micah Hodosh, Miles Ford, Jeet Raut, Alex Brand, Ben Montet, Sam Carruthers, and Jeff Stoiber for coming out and staffing, and to Donald Taylor for again serving as an able statistician. Thanks too to Alan Cherney, who helped out a Notre Dame team, and to Sulee Cao, who filled a vacancy on the house team I foolishly didn't anticipate until this morning.

Thanks, too, to all the teams that came out and played today. We look forward to seeing you all again at nationals and next year.
Last edited by millionwaves on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

millionwaves
Auron

Re: RESULTS: ICT Warm-up @ Illinois, 4/5/2008

Post by millionwaves »

Full statistics can be found here.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF