CBI Regionals Discussion

Old college threads.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Random people that see you practicing in public or that played with you at CBI intramurals can be useful for staffing a HS tournament. If you can get a core of 5-6 people that attend practices regularly and go to tournaments, along with twice that many people you can get to staff at tournaments, you will be in good shape.
Krakki
Lulu

Post by Krakki »

Kent B wrote:For the first time in god knows how long, we are not wasting our time with this.
Awehrman wrote:My wife is the Student Activities Coordinator at IIT (Illinois Institute of Technology). A group of students there wanted to compete in College Bowl Regionals . . . She decided that CBI is too expensive and too far away, so the Union Board will fund these other tournaments instead.
What confuses me is why schools decide AFTER buying the CBI campus packets not to attend regionals. Truman State and IIT are both enrolled in CBI this year, meaning they spent $500 or $600 on the CBI campus sets for nothing basically. Other schools do this as well. By my count 37 out of 170 schools enrolled in CBI won't be attending regionals.

Another question is if CBI reportedly charges nothing for their RCT question sets, then why does ACUI charge $150 to $200 per team to compete?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Not answering for anyone who runs Regionals but I'll posit guesses.

On the regionals end of charging, that sounds like room charges to me, plus any catering for food, maybe T-shirts, etc.

I can't answer the first question other than the ACUI rep at those schools is not organized enough to encourage the students to go. They don't do CB intramurals to go to regionals.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Awehrman
Wakka

Post by Awehrman »

I can answer in IIT's case, perhaps Truman had a similar experience. IIT paid 500 bucks or so for the campus tournament and ran it successfully in November. They had quite a few teams sign up to play, so it was a successful event (not a sham tournament like many teams run). They had fully intended on sending the winning team to CBI Regionals which was to be held in Carbondale, IL, but the reginonal coordinator changed. The new one failed to contact anyone about the changes (the tournament was moved to Eau Claire, WI). My wife, irritated with CBI, asked the winning team if they might rather play in NAQT Sectionals than attending the more expensive and non-responsive CBI Regionals. They agreed. She tells me that now IIT's team has decided to break away from CBI for good and uses NAQT and ACF questions in practices. You should expect to see them at more tournaments in the Chicago area next year. This, of course, brings me back to the importance of campus activities people knowing the alternatives to College Bowl.
dcf07
Kimahri

Post by dcf07 »

NoahMinkCHS wrote:
wd4gdz wrote:I'm going to CBI just to spite UGA
Haha, not sure I understand how that works, but since you brought it up...

Since we beat y'all at ACF Fall, and you beat us at SCT... doesn't that make CBI the effective regular-season tiebreaker? I mean, kind of?
Not to burst your bubble but at ACF Fall you lost to a team of Freshmen from FSU in the finals bracket oOoO.
ByronicHero
Kimahri

Re: CBI Regionals!

Post by ByronicHero »

Alright, hi, I'm Joel and I played in the College Bowl tournament in East Lansing for Kalamazoo College this past weekend. College Bowl questions are seemingly mediocre and trite so I'm wondering how we can get information for these NAQT or ACF tournaments. Next year is probably the earliest we will be able to play and though I will be studying abroad, there seems to be interest in setting up a team. I know the people that I played with were new to the game and thus in hindsight, College Bowl may have been the best introduction for them. As more people find out about quiz bowl at K, we hope to perhaps compete in NAQT like I did in high school.

Hope someone can give some information; For having competed in quiz bowl for so long and returning due to the temptation of two-hundred dollars, one would think that I would know more about entering it.

Thanks!
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

ByronicHero wrote:Alright, hi, I'm Joel and I played in the College Bowl tournament in East Lansing for Kalamazoo College this past weekend. College Bowl questions are seemingly mediocre and trite so I'm wondering how we can get information for these NAQT or ACF tournaments. Next year is probably the earliest we will be able to play and though I will be studying abroad, there seems to be interest in setting up a team. I know the people that I played with were new to the game and thus in hindsight, College Bowl may have been the best introduction for them. As more people find out about quiz bowl at K, we hope to perhaps compete in NAQT like I did in high school.

Hope someone can give some information; For having competed in quiz bowl for so long and returning due to the temptation of two-hundred dollars, one would think that I would know more about entering it.

Thanks!
This forum is really the most central spot for all non-CBI tournaments; that is, NAQT, ACF, and all the independent invitationals will have their announcements posted here. You can see http://www.acf-quizbowl.com/ or http://www.naqt.com for more ACF and NAQT stuff too. Hope you guys can get a team together.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Alright, hi, I'm Joel and I played in the College Bowl tournament in East Lansing for Kalamazoo College this past weekend. College Bowl questions are seemingly mediocre and trite so I'm wondering how we can get information for these NAQT or ACF tournaments. Next year is probably the earliest we will be able to play and though I will be studying abroad, there seems to be interest in setting up a team. I know the people that I played with were new to the game and thus in hindsight, College Bowl may have been the best introduction for them. As more people find out about quiz bowl at K, we hope to perhaps compete in NAQT like I did in high school.

Thanks!

JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
jhn31
Wakka

Post by jhn31 »

I actually found the CBI tournament at Jacksonville to be pretty fun, except for the occasional ridiculous questions. For example, they didn't provide pencil or paper, and we got a bonus (with a 5-second time limit for bonuses) asking what 35% off of $18 is, and I was just like "uh...." CBI questions mirrored the questions that I always faced in high school in Mississippi, so it was nostaglic for me.

I made sure to get email addresses of all of the teams that did nothing but CBI so I can let them know about upcoming NAQT/ACF events, and they all seemed interested.
ByronicHero
Kimahri

Post by ByronicHero »

Er, hi?

Do I know you or something, lol?
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Joel Knight, you personally told me at HSNCT '06 that you wouldn't be playing in college because "qb was just something to do in high school..." Did the allure of playing in college (or the male need for competition) lead you to expand the horizons of KCQB?
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
PaladinQB
Wakka

Post by PaladinQB »

BobGHHS wrote:Joel Knight, you personally told me at HSNCT '06 that you wouldn't be playing in college because "qb was just something to do in high school..." Did the allure of playing in college (or the male need for competition) lead you to expand the horizons of KCQB?
Implicit in the idea that the college section is self-policing, I think, is the idea that participants in the college forums are not ridiculously immature. It pains me to see a friend, someone I normally respect, prove me wrong in this instance. For someone who is normally one of Ohio's best ambassadors for the game this sort of post is really sad.
Brian Saxton, The Ohio State University '12 (I hope)
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

PaladinQB wrote:
BobGHHS wrote:Joel Knight, you personally told me at HSNCT '06 that you wouldn't be playing in college because "qb was just something to do in high school..." Did the allure of playing in college (or the male need for competition) lead you to expand the horizons of KCQB?
Implicit in the idea that the college section is self-policing, I think, is the idea that participants in the college forums are not ridiculously immature. It pains me to see a friend, someone I normally respect, prove me wrong in this instance. For someone who is normally one of Ohio's best ambassadors for the game this sort of post is really sad.
Uh...maybe I'm just missing something here, but I don't really see how "Oh, did you change your mind?" is "ridiculously immature" or "really sad".
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
ByronicHero
Kimahri

Post by ByronicHero »

Actually, Mr. Kilner, it was the promise of two-hundred dollars from my school for participating in something that ended up being a try-out for the school team that represented K at College Bowl. I still am not going to do quiz bowl full-time or anything because I enjoy having my weekends to myself and enjoying some free time after four straight years of being shuttled in a van around the country every year by Mr. Weinberg. It can be fun to compete every once in a while but I honestly did it for some extra money to buy Leonard Cohen tickets with. My school just happens to be interested in becoming involved in quiz bowl and anyway, I really don't see why I should ever have to explain myself to anyone about such an unimportant thing as me competing in some tournament. :shrug: No need to project hate of my high school onto me lol.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Oh CBI threads.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Krakki
Lulu

Post by Krakki »

jhn31 wrote:I actually found the CBI tournament at Jacksonville to be pretty fun,
except for the occasional ridiculous questions. For example, they
didn't provide pencil or paper, and we got a bonus (with a 5-second
time limit for bonuses) asking what 35% off of $18 is, and I was just
like "uh...."
I felt that CBI questions had been improving over the past few years, but there were definite regressions in the set this year, like that $18 jeans discount question you mention. Some of the worst involved 'for a quick ten points' making a comeback, as in "FAQTP, which U.S. State is closest to Hawaii?". The rest of the computational math was equally ridiculous. "Pencil & paper ready: If .0039*X = 39, then what is the value of X?"
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Actually, Mr. Kilner, it was the promise of two-hundred dollars from my school for participating in something that ended up being a try-out for the school team that represented K at College Bowl.
A good reason... easy cash.
I really don't see why I should ever have to explain myself to anyone about such an unimportant thing as me competing in some tournament.
You don't at all. I just meant all that as a fun poke at you, as I was surprised to see you back playing after you made that comment to me and made it perfectly clear you were done. My good friend Paladin took it completely serious as did some others, so for that I apologize. I hope you had a good time earning your $200 by having to play on ass questions.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

And to think, this is probably the most productive CBI thread we've had.

Joel, listen to Matt "vandyhawk" Kellerg's post above - this is basically where all tournament announcements get posted, save a few hold overs from the Yahoo! group which is not widely used any more and seemingly has not approved any new members in the past year if complaints I've heard are accurate. I think NAQT has sets of practice questions they'll sell cheap to new programs, and there's plenty of places to find old non-NAQT packets, namely The Stanford Packet Archive and QuizBowlPackets.com. If those interested in starting a team would like, they're more than welcome to join these forums & ask for advice in whatever area they wish.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
jhn31
Wakka

Post by jhn31 »

Krakki wrote:
jhn31 wrote:I actually found the CBI tournament at Jacksonville to be pretty fun,
except for the occasional ridiculous questions. For example, they
didn't provide pencil or paper, and we got a bonus (with a 5-second
time limit for bonuses) asking what 35% off of $18 is, and I was just
like "uh...."
I felt that CBI questions had been improving over the past few years, but there were definite regressions in the set this year, like that $18 jeans discount question you mention. Some of the worst involved 'for a quick ten points' making a comeback, as in "FAQTP, which U.S. State is closest to Hawaii?". The rest of the computational math was equally ridiculous. "Pencil & paper ready: If .0039*X = 39, then what is the value of X?"
Yeah, that .0039 X question infuriated me as well. And it was in a playoff round!
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

In addition to the various tournaments on Stanford, you can get old ACF sets here http://acf-quizbowl.com/archive.php and purchase old NAQT sets from the "Collegiate Questions" section of http://naqt.com/practice-questions.jsp .
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
KGeee
Wakka

Post by KGeee »

What really gets me about the CBI/HCASC questions (and I'm posting this here instead of on the facebook group so that certain nice folks at College Bowl don't call my school and threaten monetary consequences again) are the clues like "this 29th largest state". What kind of clue is that? And the sad thing is that there are so many repeats that you can really buzz in after that and know it's iowa. Or if you hear the words Charles de Gaulle, pretty much know without any doubts that that is enough information to buzz in and correctly say "Josephine Baker". We went to a tournament in New Orleans this past weekend (gotta love bourbon street) and the other team buzzed in after basketball player and champagne and knew it was Alonzo Mourning. How in the world did she know that about a backup, aging NBA center?

The bonuses tend to make you know things (at least some of them), but they try to be too damn cute and just come up with annoyingly easy buzzer races.

And if CBI is reading this, I attend Harris-Stowe College. Please contact my school with all threats there.
Last edited by KGeee on Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle Gregory
Langston University '09
UALR Law '12
University of Oklahoma College of Law Visiting Student 2011-2012
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

and I'm posting this here instead of on the facebook group so that certain nice folks at College Bowl don't call my school and threaten monetary consequences again
Do elaborate.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
KGeee
Wakka

Post by KGeee »

Matt Weiner wrote:
and I'm posting this here instead of on the facebook group so that certain nice folks at College Bowl don't call my school and threaten monetary consequences again
Do elaborate.
I may or may not have questioned CBI's ability to select schools to attend Nationals based off of their own set rules (You "MUST" turn in all paperwork by such and such a date to even be considered to attend Nationals. Five teams with late paperwork were selected over four teams that had their paperwork in on time) and an official called our coordinator and stated how they give us grants (American Honda does, not CBI) and that I should watch what I say and be grateful like all of the other good little boys and girls. So I guess it wasn't so much of a threat as an imperative suggestion.
Kyle Gregory
Langston University '09
UALR Law '12
University of Oklahoma College of Law Visiting Student 2011-2012
PaladinQB
Wakka

Post by PaladinQB »

BobGHHS wrote: You don't at all. I just meant all that as a fun poke at you, as I was surprised to see you back playing after you made that comment to me and made it perfectly clear you were done. My good friend Paladin took it completely serious as did some others, so for that I apologize. I hope you had a good time earning your $200 by having to play on ass questions.
Yup, in my reading between the lines of Bob's comment, I ascribed to him a meaning he didn't intend. I hope he (and the rest of readers of this thread) accepts my apology.

bms
Jeremy Gibbs Sampling
Wakka

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Sampling »

Bruce wrote:So who's left on the mainstream circuit that still plays CBI? Minnesota? UCLA?
Washington University in St. Louis participated in Regionals and expects to be at Nationals rather than take up ACF's offer. I personally am going to retire from College Bowl after that with a year of eligibility left unused.
Gordon Arsenoff
Rochester '06
WUStL '12
jhn31
Wakka

Post by jhn31 »

Here's the field for CBI Nationals:

Arizona State
Ball State
Florida State*
Georgetown (KY)
Maryland-Baltimore County
Minnesota*
Ohio State*
Pomona
Providence
Rice
Rochester*
Seton Hall
Washington (St. Louis)*
Western Oregon
Wisconsin*
"random second place finisher"

Teams marked with an * participated in NAQT Sectionals.

Question: How many of these teams will take their bids to CBI Nationals? Will any of them turn down their bids to go to ACF Nationals, or for any other reason?
yigit
Kimahri

Post by yigit »

I'll follow up Joel and be the second person from Region 7 to make a first-time post primarily about frustration with CBI. I'm Matt and I've been the captain at OSU for the past three years.

OSU is primarily a CBI school because we didn't know any better until recently. I think OSU had been an NAQT school as late as 2003, but by the time I came on board in 2004-2005, the club was a shambles barely able to get a team together for CBI RCT. During my whole first year as captain (2005-2006), I never heard of ACF and only heard NAQT discussed in "would-that-have-been-power" situations at practice. When we qualified for CBI NCT that year, we thought we were at the top of the world.

Last year, one of our players who'd been around in the last NAQT year decided to tell us more about NAQT and we did play NAQT finally. Unfortunately, he also propagated the ACF-is-impossible trope which I bought hook, line and sinker without even seeing an ACF question. I've been reading Quizbowl Wiki lately and I've come to realize he was completely wrong about ACF, but it's too late to change anything for this year and we're broke anyhow.

So to get to the point...OSU will accept our CBI NCT bid for lack of alternatives. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we may still get a late bid to NAQT natls, but I'm captaining one sophomore and two freshmen who really don't like NAQT yet and as I've said, our club is more or less broke anyhow.

I'm going to push hard for the rest of this year for OSU to get involved in ACF next year and hopefully get more into the circuit, but it will be hard since I'm finishing my MA this year and moving on...hopefully to a PhD program at a school with dedication to QB.
Matt Luby
Ohio State
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Arizona State
what have I done
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

DumbJaques wrote:
Arizona State
what have I done
You should have stayed there so they wouldn't have been able to qualify.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

You should have stayed there so they wouldn't have been able to find the tournament
Fixed.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Dolemite wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:
Arizona State
what have I done
You should have stayed there so they wouldn't have been able to qualify.
But, see, if the team was the Ira P. Fulton School of Engineering team, it wouldn't have mattered anyway.
ByronicHero
Kimahri

Post by ByronicHero »

Hey Matt,

Your team did really great at the tournament and I hope you guys do great at the national tournament. Good luck on maybe getting into the NAQT tournament; I would love to see if we could finagle someway into it too lol but I'd probably have to find new people for my team because I'm not sure if they could really handle it, considering they had never done quiz bowl before. They also apparently thought it was hilarious how competitive I got when there. Nevertheless, good luck again and maybe we'll play you some other time again.
ByronicHero
Kimahri

Post by ByronicHero »

By the way, I wasn't really like pissed off or anything earlier, I just was suprised people actually cared and assumed that people hated me. Whenever I go to tournaments, I always hear stories of nasty things being said about me or strange rumours so I dunno; I've tried to stay out of it.
yigit
Kimahri

Post by yigit »

ByronicHero wrote:I just was suprised people actually cared
Thanks for your congratulations, Joel--you guys played a great tournament and were, in my book, the toughest team we faced.

Regarding the "people actually cared" bit--it seems that two of my three teammates had played against you in high school and as soon as they saw Kalamazoo pop up on the listserv emails, began telling us stories your high school dominance. Apparently, neither of their teams had ever beaten your team, so it gave them some degree of satisfaction to win on Saturday. For my two cents, I was glad to see the man behind the stories, since quizbowl kiddies are often prone to exaggeration and fanboydom. You didn't disappoint.

If you and Kalamazoo would be interested in practicing with us some weekend or staging a high school tournament with us (I think the club is planning one for next year), let me know.
Matt Luby
Ohio State
PaladinQB
Wakka

Post by PaladinQB »

yigit wrote:
ByronicHero wrote:I just was suprised people actually cared
Thanks for your congratulations, Joel--you guys played a great tournament and were, in my book, the toughest team we faced.

Regarding the "people actually cared" bit--it seems that two of my three teammates had played against you in high school and as soon as they saw Kalamazoo pop up on the listserv emails, began telling us stories your high school dominance. Apparently, neither of their teams had ever beaten your team, so it gave them some degree of satisfaction to win on Saturday. For my two cents, I was glad to see the man behind the stories, since quizbowl kiddies are often prone to exaggeration and fanboydom. You didn't disappoint.

If you and Kalamazoo would be interested in practicing with us some weekend or staging a high school tournament with us (I think the club is planning one for next year), let me know.
I hope you to see both of your teams out on the circuit more -- you both have a lot of talent. My disdain for last Saturday's proceedings is mitigated slightly by the fact that the right teams won. It was also nice to see you, Joel, and to meet your team who are quite a cool bunch of folk.

If there's ever anything I can do for either of your clubs, let me know -- b.saxton AAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT csuohio DDDOOOOTTTTT edu.

Brian M. Saxton
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: CBI Regionals Discussion

Post by AKKOLADE »

I've split this into four threads - the main discussion thread that this is in, some extraneous stuff that served little purpose, the debate of CBI's moralistic values and the discussion of hsquizbowl forums moderation. Please stay on topic in the appropriate threads.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator