Kentucky '07-'08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Mephistopheles
Lulu

Post by Mephistopheles »

brownboy79 wrote:I want to say 58-17, but that might be wrong. There were a lot of matches, and I don't remember the scores.
oooh... smashed....
I am Spartacus.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

"oooh... smashed...."
What?
Anyway, what was the deal with no Kentucky teams being at Brookwood. I mean, we didn't have a great showing, but maybe if we hadn't negged 8 times in a quarterfinal match, it might have been different.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

brownboy79 wrote:"oooh... smashed...."
What?
Anyway, what was the deal with no Kentucky teams being at Brookwood. I mean, we didn't have a great showing, but maybe if we hadn't negged 8 times in a quarterfinal match, it might have been different.
I'm pretty sure that JV challenge being on the same day had a lot to do with it; at least it did for us...
Mephistopheles
Lulu

Post by Mephistopheles »

Does Papa not consider winning 55-17 to be "smashing" the other team?
I am Spartacus.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I don't think that's a fair label. In a game like QR, where momentum carries so much weight, if a team reels of 15 in a row, their opponents just drop their heads and give up. And as I think something similar happened, I find it hard to call it a smashing. The score was more lopsided than the match really was.

Anyway, the statements made about Russell earlier, although quite applicable then, are no more the case. Those kids have been working hard and it shows. They played well against us in Ohio today and I was thoroughly impressed by their guts, going blow for blow. It was a much different team than at Hart Co.

By the way, at Wright St., the tourney I was referring to, there were 3 Kentucky teams, and we managed the top 3 spots. I think that says a bit about the state this year. (For the interested: 1 Dunbar A, 2 Dunbar B, 3 Russell)
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

brownboy79 wrote:Beta confuses the hell out of me. Hart Co. was fun, if long.
1. Dunbar
2. Ballard (Interestingly, both out of the same preliminary division)
3. Russell, MadNoHo
Papa, are you sure about those results? We (Madisonville) got defeated in the 2nd round.
Aaron Kinney
Madisonville-North Hopkins '10
Go Maroons!
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Apparently not, then. I think at some point I assumed it was you guys. Johnson maybe?
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

brownboy79 wrote:Apparently not, then. I think at some point I assumed it was you guys. Johnson maybe?
Dunno, but Daviess beat us.
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

brownboy79 wrote:Apparently not, then. I think at some point I assumed it was you guys. Johnson maybe?
Johnson Central didn't attend the State BETA Convention this year... yea, I know-- retarded, eh?
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

aye
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Not Beta, Hart Co.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

brownboy79 wrote:Not Beta, Hart Co.
Oops, sorry.
Randomnumber11235
Lulu

Post by Randomnumber11235 »

Johnson County Beta Club is poor... very poor. By this I mean in debt by a few grand; had our balance been at $0 we could have borrowed money, but we didn't have the funds to do anything.

Maybe in a few years.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Eh. It happens. I'm personally ready for Kentucky to do some damage at Dorman. I like the chances of a KY team winning the title.
FCPanther
Wakka

FCAT Results

Post by FCPanther »

Congratulations to Johnson Central. They defeated Campbell County in the finals of the Fleming County Academic Tournament. The other semifinalists were: Paintsville and Russell.

In the "B" team division Johnson Central downed Russell in the finals. Other semifinalists were: Fleming County and Campbell Co.

Full results (including preliminary round scores) should be posted by the end of the weekend. When posted I will add the link.

thanks to all that participated.
Kent Grannis--Fleming County High School Academic Coach
FCPanther
Wakka

Results of FCAT

Post by FCPanther »

Full varsity division results can be found on the Limestone League website.

http://www.freewebs.com/limestoneleague ... esults.htm

I will try to have "B" division up later this week.
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

I thought that the tournament was well done, good job at it.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Huh. I had no idea how good Campbell Co. was. And I'm not sure if we've played Johnson yet, I truly do not remember. Care to enlighten me, someone?
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Post by Andrew from jc »

I don't think you've played us yet Papa.
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Re: Results of FCAT

Post by EricLeMaster »

FCPanther wrote:Full varsity division results can be found on the Limestone League website.

Will these results be added to the national rankings list?
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

I don't know when the results will be added, but they have been submitted for addition to the rankings.
Byko
Yuna

Re: Results of FCAT

Post by Byko »

EricLeMaster wrote:
FCPanther wrote:Full varsity division results can be found on the Limestone League website.

Will these results be added to the national rankings list?
Yes, in time. Things will be slow the next 3 weeks because I'm also trying to redo our kitchen in our house and make sure that a tournament set that is being used in 2.5 weeks gets completed and is acceptable.

I'll try to get some items entered this week. After this week, there probably won't be any changes for about 2-3 weeks (I'll be out of town for about 5 days in early February as well).
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
Mephistopheles
Lulu

Post by Mephistopheles »

Well honestly, the questions at Fleming were a bit wacky. There was an inordinately large amount of spelling, grammar, and middle-school level science and math. For instance, one question basically asked, "the asteroid belt is located Mars and what other planet?." History was really the only subject that felt normal. Fleming claimed the questions to be Governor's Cup, but if they are, we're in for a hell of a year.
I am Spartacus.
FCPanther
Wakka

Post by FCPanther »

First Fleming did not claim the questions were Governor's Cup; the tournament was Governor's Cup format. The questions came from Question Well, and were more quick recall than quiz bowl (no pyramids).

Second, I agree that some of them were in your words a bit "wacky". The Science in particular was too simple. We are always looking for good questions and will continue to seek out better sources for next year. I have a lead on some questions that I hope to follow up on in the next couple of weeks. That will hopefully help me nail down some more consistent questions before I schedule next year's tournament. (there will be a tournament, I just don't have a date yet)
Mephistopheles
Lulu

Post by Mephistopheles »

It appears that Russell defeated Brookwood at Dorman. Looks like Knupp has pulled his team into a surprisingly steep recovery.
I am Spartacus.
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

To be fair, Brookwood was once again playing without a lot of their usual starters, since all but one of them apparently went to a Beta Convention instead. That said, though, I doubt anyone is surprised that Russell has been getting better and better since Knupp arrived... I met him at ACE, and he certainly knows what he's doing. If Russell keeps up their pace, they'll be ridiculous in a few years.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

Russell's team is very young. I may be wrong, but if I'm correct only Ryan is a senior.
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Any prediction's for GovCup? The practice questions we played were much better than usual.
Brian_ECHS
Lulu

Post by Brian_ECHS »

The questions do seem much better this year.
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

Social studies test. Two words: extremely easy. I'm sure everyone else felt the same. Especially Brad Cantrell from JCHS. He kicked the crap out of the SS test.

Exactly the opposite for A&H and LA, from what I've seen. The KAAC is very inconsistent, apparently.

I'm a bit surprised by Johnson Central and its district, however. Such a low margin of a win in their district is something I'm quite sure happens rarely. Anyone else surprised?

Any other districts look awry to anyone? Granted, not all have been posted yet (as Madisonville's haven't either), but I'm just saying.
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
Randomnumber11235
Lulu

akinney wrote:I'm a bit surprised by Johnson Central and its district, however. Such a low margin of a win in their district is something I'm quite sure happens rarely. Anyone else surprised?
The difficulty of the Arts and Humanities test was a good chunk of it. Considering that when a test is so difficult, it's very possible that someone could place by guessing it doesn't give a true depiction of the aptitudes of each individual member.

There's also a bit of a... issue... with the subjective areas of competition. I won't bring anything to light as it is entirely impossible to prove and it probably should remain enigmatic until some resolution is found. That said, the fact that an outlier has a large impact on a set of data, particularly such a small set in Central's District (3 schools= 3 evaluators) has a lot to do with it, and an observant person could probably deduce the issue that I'm hovering around.

On a final explanatory note, Sheldon Clark has less outstanding people this year, which skews the distribution again considering each school can only submit 3 people. With the majority of people placing coming from Paintsville and Central, the points were more highly clustered than usual.

This isn't to say that Paintsville does not deserve its props. All power to them and good luck (insert as much arbitrary sportsmanship as is needed).

akinney wrote:Exactly the opposite for A&H and LA, from what I've seen. The KAAC is very inconsistent, apparently.
The Arts and Humanities test was quite hellish. Language Arts seemed fair, though the focus work questions seemed a bit hard (although this is from the perspective of someone who solely read the sparknotes while half asleep) and more oriented toward some of the historical issues concerning the book's setting (I'll leave it at that in the event that discussion of content is still taboo).

The questions weren't quite what I was expecting. I'm not sure if they're supposed to become pyramidal at State or if all of Governor's Cup is pyramidal. If it is the latter, I'll just observe that this pyramid has a very short height (which I'm personally OK with).
Mephistopheles
Lulu

Post by Mephistopheles »

I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, but the QR questions were a pleasant surprise. Short yet precise. Sort of arcane, but not ridiculously so. And best of all, not particularly misleading.

On an additional and unrelated note, I believe Kentuckians should view the District scores for Dunbar. Very interesting and honestly kind of scary.

Russell's scores are also interesting, mostly because it seems strange that such a traditionally strong team could have such low scores (other than the 47 in ss).

And Simon Kenton apparently has a very strong science kid nobody (at least I) didn't know about.
I am Spartacus.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Yeah, I kinda sucked on the AH test and imploded on the last five or so in SS, but Brad's SS score was solid.
By the way, the SS question about Afarensis is crap, because it definitely had "species" in the question and Afarensis is a genus. That made me mad, particularly because I would've otherwise gotten first (1st and 2nd were a tie, and I was one point back).
And in the first round,there was a question going for "beta decay" and we buzzed in with "beta" and it was counted wrong. At the very end they said "two word term" but that's a crappy hose and moreover, the fourth word of the question was "decay". But yeah, good day aside from that.
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

Mephistopheles wrote: And Simon Kenton apparently has a very strong science kid nobody (at least I) didn't know about.
We played Simon Kenton at Fleming County and lost in overtime 34-38. Jacob Bailey was very good. He got most of their points and is very quick, especially on science. Simon Kenton has potential this year.
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
Mephistopheles
Lulu

Post by Mephistopheles »

brownboy79 wrote:By the way, the SS question about Afarensis is crap, because it definitely had "species" in the question and Afarensis is a genus. That made me mad, particularly because I would've otherwise gotten first (1st and 2nd were a tie, and I was one point back).
Papa, isn't Australopithecus the genus and afarensis the species? At least I always see the former capitalized and the latter lowercased, so that's what I would assume. Maybe I'm wrong though.
I am Spartacus.
Mephistopheles
Lulu

Post by Mephistopheles »

[deleted at poster's request]
I am Spartacus.
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

Mephistopheles wrote:
brownboy79 wrote:By the way, the SS question about Afarensis is crap, because it definitely had "species" in the question and Afarensis is a genus. That made me mad, particularly because I would've otherwise gotten first (1st and 2nd were a tie, and I was one point back).
Papa, isn't Australopithecus the genus and afarensis the species? At least I always see the former capitalized and the latter lowercased, so that's what I would assume. Maybe I'm wrong though.
So you ended up getting a 45, Papa?

Also, I am most interested in Region 3. It is very, very competitive this year. You have Daviess County, Apollo High School, Henderson, and Edmonson. Those are the biggies, but additionally you have Grayson and Owensboro. I think Daviess and Apollo will come out on top. Any other opinions?
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Yes, I believe. It may be a 44.
Anyway, the capitalization of Afarensis renders it wrong. And I may be wrong on this count as well, but in giving a species, isn't the genus name still part of the species?
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

brownboy79 wrote:Yes, I believe. It may be a 44.
Anyway, the capitalization of Afarensis renders it wrong. And I may be wrong on this count as well, but in giving a species, isn't the genus name still part of the species?
I wouldn't know, Papa. I'm not into that sort of thing. As a matter of fact, I guessed on that one and just happened to get it right. Do you have the question with you? I left my test at school.
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
Randomnumber11235
Lulu

"The name of the species is the whole binomial, not just the second term (which may be called specific name for animals)."
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Randomnumber11235 wrote:
"The name of the species is the whole binomial, not just the second term (which may be called specific name for animals)."
Thanks. Fix my score GovCup. And do it now. (That was mock anger)
I personally don't really care about where I place at District or Regional as long as I qualify.
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

brownboy79 wrote:
Randomnumber11235 wrote:
Thanks. Fix my score GovCup. And do it now. (That was mock anger)
I personally don't really care about where I place at District or Regional as long as I qualify.
Oh yeah Papa, who is Brian Fei? Is he a freshman? I'm trying to think if he was at ACE camp or not.
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
Brian_ECHS
Lulu

Post by Brian_ECHS »

any predictions for regionals?
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

Brian_ECHS wrote:any predictions for regionals?
My guesses, for quick recall:

1. Lone Oak (Calloway 2nd)
2. Madisonville-North Hopkins (Prediction: Hop. Central will come 2nd)
3. Daviess County (With Edmonson 2nd)
4. Adair County
5. Elizabethtown
6. DuPont Manual
7. Ballard (Atherton?)
8. North Oldham
9. Simon Kenton (or Campbell, it's a tough call)
10. Fleming County (Or Rowan?)
11. PLD
12. Danville
13. Corbin
14. Letcher Central (Middlesboro? Clay?)
15. Johnson Central
16. Russell
Last edited by akinney on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Brian Fei is a sophomore. And a great one at that. He's a really good test taker and probably could've handled three tests with ease. Be scared. All of you.
asdf
Lulu

Post by asdf »

brownboy79 wrote:Brian Fei is a sophomore. And a great one at that. He's a really good test taker and probably could've handled three tests with ease. Be scared. All of you.
yea
BC is a beast
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

asdf wrote:
brownboy79 wrote:Brian Fei is a sophomore. And a great one at that. He's a really good test taker and probably could've handled three tests with ease. Be scared. All of you.
yea
BC is a beast
Oh yes, I am scared. Maybe he's a little Papa? LOL.
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Haha, not a chance. I don't think I've seen BFei neg as much in two years as I have in one game.
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

brownboy79 wrote:Haha, not a chance. I don't think I've seen BFei neg as much in two years as I have in one game.
I don't know if that's normal or impressive, but I'm leaning towards normal.
Aaron Kinney
Go Maroons!
Andrew from jc
Wakka

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by Andrew from jc »

Well looks like the bracket for State is up now.

http://www.kaac.com/state/QR-PoolPlay.pdf