Announcement: 2008 Midwest SCT at UChicago

Old college threads.
setht
Auron

Announcement: 2008 Midwest SCT at UChicago

Post by setht »

The University of Chicago will host the 2008 Midwest SCT on Saturday, Feb. 9th.

The fee structure is as follows:

$120 for first team from a school
$100 for each additional team
-$5 for each working buzzer system
-$5 for each working timer
-$10 for each volunteer
-$5 for every 100 miles traveled one way
-$40 for schools who didn't competed at the 2006 or 2007 SCTs

Note that the last discount applies to schools, not individual teams. Also, teams wishing to claim buzzer system and/or volunteer discounts must notify me by Feb. 3rd (and tell me how much of each they are bringing). Teams wishing to claim timer discounts must notify me by Jan. 31st and tell me how many they are bringing--I need to know farther in advance so I can get enough timers mailed from NAQT to cover whatever's not supplied by the field. Please notify me by emailing me ([email protected]).

Please register by emailing me ([email protected]). Please tell me the eligibility (Div. II, Div. I undergrad, Div. I) of each team as you register.

We have 11 rooms in Harper Memorial Library and 4 more rooms next door in Stuart Hall. Parking is usually available nearby on 59th street, but check street signs to make sure you don't park in a snow route or bus stop. The initial meeting will be in 130 Harper, starting some time between 8:30 and 9 am, with play starting some time between 9 and 9:30 am.

Hotel suggestions include various hotels near Midway airport (about a half hour drive from campus) and the Ramada Lake Shore Inn on 47th (about a 5 minute drive from campus). There are lots of other hotel options, of course.

I think that's it for now. Please email me ([email protected]) if you have any questions. I'll post a field list once I get more of a field.

-Seth
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Time for an update.

All of the information in the first post is still good. I want to add that we are planning on providing some breakfast (donuts or bagels), and lunch (almost certainly pizza). I also want to add that basic eligibility information can be found here, with Div II eligibility here and Div I undergrad eligibility here.

The current field is:
BGSU: 1 team, I'm guessing Div 1 (1 buzzer, maybe some timers)
DePauw: Div II x 2 (1 buzzer, 1 staff)
Lawrence: Div II x 1
Michigan: Div I x 1, Div II x 2
Notre Dame: Div I x 1, Div II x 2
Ohio State: Div I x 1, Div II x 1 (1 buzzer, 1 timer)
UIC: Div I x 1
UIUC: Div I x 2, Div II x 1 (3 buzzers, 2 timers)
Wash. U.: Div I x 1, Div II x 3

Some of the clubs that have signed up have said that they might add another team or two, but so far we've got 12 teams in Div II and 8 teams in Div I. Chicago will field 1-2 teams in Div II (depending on how much staff we need, and hopefully resulting in an even number of teams in Div II), and 0-1 teams in Div I (again, depending on how much staff we need, and aiming for an even number of teams in Div I). We have 15 rooms, and I've got a pretty good number of staffers signed up so far, so we still have room, but please let me know soon if you want to sign up or add teams.

I'm currently expecting 6 non-Chicago buzzers. I'd like to get more buzzers; if you can bring more buzzers, please do so (and let me know). There's no upper limit on the number of buzzer discounts you can claim, so bring 'em all, as long as they're functional.

I don't know which (if any) of the Div I teams are undergrad teams. Please let me know ([email protected]) once you know which teams are going to be undergrad teams.

I think that's it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
-Seth
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Seth - We can bring a timer for sure. And possibly more - how many more do you need?

(Chess clocks work as timers!)

Greg
Lawrence U
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Here's another update for the Midwest SCT.

CURRENT FIELD/STAFF/BUZZER/TIMER LIST

BGSU: Div I x 1 (1 buzzer, 2 timers)
DePauw: Div II x 2 (1 staff, 1 buzzer)
IIT: Div II x 1 (1 buzzer)
Lawrence: Div II x 1 (1 timer)
Michigan: Div I x 1 (UG), Div II x 2
Northwestern: Div II x 2 (1 staff, 2 buzzers, 6 timers)
UIUC: Div I x 2, Div II x 1 (3-4 buzzers, 5-10 timers)
Wash. U.: Div I x 1, Div II x 2 (2 buzzers)

I think my list is current, but it's possible I missed something in an email; also, some of these numbers weren't 100% certain. Please let me know if any of the team/staff/buzzer/timer numbers have changed. For now, this adds up to 8 Div I teams (1 undergrad), 14 Div II teams, 2 staff, 11-12 buzzers, and 15-20 timers from non-Chicago clubs. Please note that staff/buzzers/timers have to be fully functional and stay the whole day in order to qualify for discounts: we won't give discounts for staffers that leave part way through, buzzer systems with fewer than 8 functional buzzers, timers that can't be seen by both teams, etc.

We should have plenty of buzzers and timers, and we'll have at least one staff person per room. I'm going to try to round up more staff, and we may have a schedule with byes in Div II, in which case we'll ask bye teams to help keep score. Right now it looks like Chicago will field one Div II team; I don't think we can field two Div II teams and provide enough staff.

PROPOSED SCHEDULE

Assuming the field sizes don't change, we'll run a double round-robin in Div I (14 games for each team in 14 rounds) and a single round-robin in Div II (14 games for each team in 15 rounds). In Div I, if a team is two or more games clear of the field that team will be declared the champion; if the top two teams are separated by one game they will play an advantaged best of three final; if the top two teams are tied in record, they will play a one-game final. If there's a circle of death for first or second, we'll have to use statistical tiebreakers to decide who plays in the finals, since we'll use up 14 of the 16 packets in the prelims. In Div II, if one team has the best record they will be declared the champion; if two teams are tied for best record they will play a one-game final; if there's a circle of death for first place, we will have to use statistical tiebreakers to decide who plays in the one-game final, since we'll use up 15 of the 16 packets in the prelims.

TIMING

We're going to hold registration in 130 Harper from 8:15 to 9 am. We'll run a brief rules meeting from 9 to 9:15 am, and (hopefully) start games by 9:30 am. We'll break for lunch from ~12:30 pm to 1:30 pm. We'll provide breakfast (during registration/the rules meeting), and lunch. If we don't have major delays from teams not showing up punctually at the start or anything else along the way, we should be done by 6 pm, and hopefully closer to 5 pm.

I think that's it. If there are any questions or corrections to the rosters, let me know.

I look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.

-Seth
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Here's another update for the Midwest SCT.

CURRENT FIELD/STAFF/BUZZER/TIMER LIST

BGSU: Div I x 1 (1 buzzer, 2 timers)
DePauw: Div II x 2 (1 staff, 1 buzzer)
IIT: Div II x 1 (1 buzzer)
Lawrence: Div II x 1 (1 timer)
Michigan: Div I x 1 (UG), Div II x 2
Northwestern: Div II x 2 (1 staff, 2 buzzers, 6 timers)
UIUC: Div I x 2, Div II x 1 (3-4 buzzers, 5-10 timers)
Wash. U.: Div I x 1, Div II x 2 (2 buzzers)

I think my list is current, but it's possible I missed something in an email; also, some of these numbers weren't 100% certain. Please let me know if any of the team/staff/buzzer/timer numbers have changed. For now, this adds up to 8 Div I teams (1 undergrad), 14 Div II teams, 2 staff, 11-12 buzzers, and 15-20 timers from non-Chicago clubs. Please note that staff/buzzers/timers have to be fully functional and stay the whole day in order to qualify for discounts: we won't give discounts for staffers that leave part way through, buzzer systems with fewer than 8 functional buzzers, timers that can't be seen by both teams, etc.

We should have plenty of buzzers and timers, and we'll have at least one staff person per room. I'm going to try to round up more staff, and we may have a schedule with byes in Div II, in which case we'll ask bye teams to help keep score. Right now it looks like Chicago will field one Div II team; I don't think we can field two Div II teams and provide enough staff.

PROPOSED SCHEDULE

Assuming the field sizes don't change, we'll run a double round-robin in Div I (14 games for each team in 14 rounds) and a single round-robin in Div II (14 games for each team in 15 rounds). In Div I, if a team is two or more games clear of the field that team will be declared the champion; if the top two teams are separated by one game they will play an advantaged best of three final; if the top two teams are tied in record, they will play a one-game final. If there's a circle of death for first or second, we'll have to use statistical tiebreakers to decide who plays in the finals, since we'll use up 14 of the 16 packets in the prelims. In Div II, if one team has the best record they will be declared the champion; if two teams are tied for best record they will play a one-game final; if there's a circle of death for first place, we will have to use statistical tiebreakers to decide who plays in the one-game final, since we'll use up 15 of the 16 packets in the prelims.

TIMING

We're going to hold registration in 130 Harper from 8:15 to 9 am. We'll run a brief rules meeting from 9 to 9:15 am, and (hopefully) start games by 9:30 am. We'll break for lunch from ~12:30 pm to 1:30 pm. We'll provide breakfast (during registration/the rules meeting), and lunch. If we don't have major delays from teams not showing up punctually at the start or anything else along the way, we should be done by 6 pm, and hopefully closer to 5 pm.

I think that's it. If there are any questions or corrections to the rosters, let me know.

I look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.

-Seth
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Brief results: In Div I, UIUC A went undefeated to take the title. In Div II, after 15 rounds there was a 5-way tie for first; WUStL A emerged victorious from a series of mini-games.

More complete stats should be available shortly.

Thanks to all the teams for coming out to play, and all the staff for helping run the tournament.

-Seth
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

setht wrote:In Div II, after 15 rounds there was a 5-way tie for first; WUStL A emerged victorious from a series of mini-games.
Holy hell.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

leftsaidfred wrote:
setht wrote: In Div II, after 15 rounds there was a 5-way tie for first; WUStL A emerged victorious from a series of mini-games.

Holy hell.
Yeah, snaps to logistics monster Mike Altman for figuring out the best way to settle that mess with the one packet we had remaining.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Much thanks to the University of Chicago for yet another well-run tournament. All of the moderators were excellent, lunch was excellent (choice of Giordano's or Harold's Chicken), though an announcement concerning lunch would have been nice. Outside of that small nitpick, major props.
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

leftsaidfred wrote:
setht wrote:In Div II, after 15 rounds there was a 5-way tie for first; WUStL A emerged victorious from a series of mini-games.
Holy hell.
Holy hell, and yet still rather interesting :)

Well run all around to the guys at Chicago, I had a great time at my first tourney! (at the collegiate level)
John Ahlfield
WUSTL
Liberty High School 2007
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Full stats for the first 15 rounds are up at
http://bowl.uchicago.edu/results/SCT%20 ... dings.html
(Div I)

and
(Div II)

Note that Div I played 14 games in 14 rounds, after which UIUC A was declared the victor, while Div II played 14 games in 15 rounds. At that point, 5 teams (Lawrence, Chicago, WUStL A, Michigan A, and Northwestern A) were tied in record at 11-3. The teams were ranked 1-5 based on points per tossup heard, in the order listed above. Teams 4 and 5 then played a mini-match on the first 8 questions of round 16. Michigan won, and advanced to play team 1, while teams 2 and 3 faced off at the same time, on questions 9-16. Michigan and WUStL won, and advanced to a final mini-match on questions 17-24. WUStL won by 5 to claim the title.

-Seth
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

Well the Div II stats link is the Div I stats link, though you can just add an I to the url to get actual stats.

marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

On behalf of the Chicago team, I'd like to apologize to Saran from Northwestern for YET AGAIN listing him as "Sarah" in the stats.

- Michael "First Post" Arnold
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Just noticed a pretty big stats mistake - Richard from Lawrence is credited with a 1/1/9 line in the Lawrence v Ohio State game. He, um, didn't neg 9 times, especially considering that that would give Lawrence 27 buzzes in the game.
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

cornfused wrote:Just noticed a pretty big stats mistake - Richard from Lawrence is credited with a 1/1/9 line in the Lawrence v Ohio State game. He, um, didn't neg 9 times, especially considering that that would give Lawrence 27 buzzes in the game.
Yeah, he negged 0 times in that game. The correction should be up later this evening.

-Seth
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Thanks. Oh, and by the way, thanks for an incredibly smoothly-run tourney. I know it's freakishly confusing to try and break a 5-team tie, and you guys handled it quite well.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

He, um, didn't neg 9 times
THIS time.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

DumbJaques wrote:
THIS time.
Uh, that's actually THREE TIMES his personal high. But thanks for playing.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

cornfused wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:
THIS time.
(set! business serious)
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

cornfused wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:
THIS time.
For now.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I once recorded Richard's stat line as 0-1-12 at practice when he annoyed me by pronouncing all his answers in a badly faux-British accent. And I have 5/15 reasons why stat lines don't lie.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

How did I lose the tie-breaker for second in toss-up points?

Post by EncyclopediaCDRom »

Just for bragging rights, I would have liked to have been second in the stats, behind only Mike Sorice. Still, I loved my book, a brand-new hard-cover of 'TIS to accompany my autographed copy of ANGELA AND THE BABY JESUS. All I need now by Frank McCourt are ANGELA'S ASHES and TEACHER MAN. Had I some UIC teammates, I might have scored less, but UIC might have been invited to NAQT ICT. I am grateful that I was allowed to continue the game, which I won, while the lunchbreak was proceeding. I was wondering why there was so much noise during the first half.
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

I dunno for sure, but I'm guessing the tie-breaker may have been points per tossup heard? Gordon heard fewer tossups, so if that is the case, then he would win the tie. Just speculation on my part.
John Ahlfield
WUSTL
Liberty High School 2007
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Paradox »

johnboy81918 wrote:I dunno for sure, but I'm guessing the tie-breaker may have been points per tossup heard? Gordon heard fewer tossups, so if that is the case, then he would win the tie. Just speculation on my part.
It's usually that or powers, iirc.