CANCELLED: BATE (Bloomfield Academic Tournament) NJ

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

CANCELLED: BATE (Bloomfield Academic Tournament) NJ

Post by TheCzarMan »

Our in house tournament, BATE (Bloomfield Academic Tournament of Excellence) is scheduled at the moment for February 9th, 2008, but the date is tentative. Question format and definite date to be set this week. Tournament is at Bloomfield High School in Bloomfield, NJ. No team cap set yet.
Last edited by TheCzarMan on Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

expect bergen academies to attend, probably with around 3 teams
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

Assuming the questions are [something not :chip: or "Jeopardy!"] expect 3-4 Stuyvesant teams to show up.
Doug
Brandeis '17
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

dyetman89 wrote:Assuming the questions are [something not :chip: or "Jeopardy!"] expect 3-4 Stuyvesant teams to show up.
Chances of NAQT questions or making our own pyramidal questions are about 40%. Not entirely sure if the rest of the team is ready to make a tournament like it.
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

change that, the bergen academies will bring two teams
gstoye
Lulu

Post by gstoye »

The Marine Academy of Science & Technology would like to attend? Do you have any further information available yet, including registration forms?
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

If you can't get NAQT questions, I would be happy to talk about providing relatively pyramidal questions. (Fred or whoever, feel free to remove this post and place it in the outer darkness.)
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

STPickrell wrote:If you can't get NAQT questions, I would be happy to talk about providing relatively pyramidal questions. (Fred or whoever, feel free to remove this post and place it in the outer darkness.)
I'll try if I can but it looks like we'll more than likely do Jeopardy for the Prelims. However, pyramidal style buzzer questions will be used in the playoffs (We're doing Jeopardy mostly due to buzzer constraints)

Our registration and invites will be sent out after HHHW competition this Saturday. The most likely date at this time is Feb. 16th.
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

so will it be on the 9th or 16th?

i kinda need to know
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

oh and the 16th is the first day of president's week vacation, so a lot of people probably wont be around
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Yeah... If it's on the 16th, I would need to leave at about 4:30 PM to catch a flight out of Laguardia to go college looking, but the rest of my team could probably stay for the end of the tournament... but the 9th is free for me and at least 1 other member that I know, haven't checked with the rest. Please e-mail me a registration form at [email protected] when you get them up, as it is unlikely that you would mail them out to my school, and even if you did they probably wouldn't get down to me or the others that may actually go.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Definitive date is the 9th. If you haven't gotten invites, I'll get copies from my advisor and post them here/email them to anyone who wants them.
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

you can email me registration at [email protected]
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

The Fifteenth Annual
B.A.T.E
Bloomfield Academic Tournament of Excellence
At Bloomfield High School
February 9th, 2008

Dear Academic Team Coach

The Bloomfield Academic Team is pleased to invite you to compete in the fifteenth annual Bloomfield Academic Tournament of Excellence. Tournament registration will begin at 8:00am with matches starting approximately at 9:00am. The tournament is scheduled to conclude at approximately 6:00pm.

Each team will have four players playing at a time. Alternates are welcome. Five Rounds (including one bye) are guaranteed for each team. The preliminary rounds will be in jeopardy format. After the conclusion of the preliminary rounds, the top eight teams will be chosen by total cumulative points. These eight will continue on to the playoff rounds which will be single elimination. This round will be in the NAQT buzzer format. Trophies will be awarded to all eight teams that make it to the playoff rounds. The championship team will receive a $200 prize.

Complimentary bagels and juice will be served in the Bloomfield High School cafeteria between 8:00 and 8:30am. There will be a break for lunch part way through the preliminary rounds, lasting for approximately one hour, with the conclusion of the preliminary rounds after lunch. No lunch services will be provided for the teams at BHS, but a list of local eateries will be distributed.

The registration fee for the tournament is once again $80.00 for each school’s first team and $50.00 for each additional team. We will consider our competition full when forty teams have registered.

The Fifteenth Annual
B.A.T.E
Bloomfield Academic Tournament of Excellence
At Bloomfield High School
February 9th, 2008

REGISTRATION FORM

SCHOOL NAME: _______________________________________________________
ADDRESS: _____________________________________________________________
CITY: _______________________ STATE: ___________ ZIP CODE: ____________
SCHOOL PHONE: _______________________ EMAIL: _______________________
NAME OF ADVISOR(S): _________________________________________________
ADVISOR’S HOME PHONE #: ___________________________________________
REGISTRATION FEE: $80.00
ADDITIONAL TEAMS: ____________________X $50.00 $_________________
TOTAL AMOUNT ENCLOSED $_________________

PLEASE RETURN THIS NO LATER THAN FEBRUARY 5TH, 2008

CHECKS MADE PAYABLE TO: BHS ACADEMIC TOURNAMENT

MAIL TO: Bloomfield High School
Academic Team c/o Kate Putnoky
160 Broad St.
Bloomfield, NJ 07003
Nick Petrilli
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Just quickly, what exactly are the Jeopardy style questions? Are those just quick one-liners with buzzers, or is it the way that school teachers run jeopardy in the classroom where the teams alternate in question selection and only the team selecting the question can answer? If it's like that, would the questions be pyramidal at all? And why not use all the NAQT set if you would use it for the playoffs? That would let good questions go to waste.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I don't think they are actually using NAQT questions here. I think they are just using games that resemble NAQT for the playoffs.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Deesy Does It wrote:I don't think they are actually using NAQT questions here. I think they are just using games that resemble NAQT for the playoffs.
You would be correct. My advisor said she ordered questions, but I do not know from where.
Nick Petrilli
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

That still didn't answer my first question...
dinoian wrote:Just quickly, what exactly are the Jeopardy style questions? Are those just quick one-liners with buzzers, or is it the way that school teachers run jeopardy in the classroom where the teams alternate in question selection and only the team selecting the question can answer?
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

dinoian wrote:That still didn't answer my first question...
dinoian wrote:Just quickly, what exactly are the Jeopardy style questions? Are those just quick one-liners with buzzers, or is it the way that school teachers run jeopardy in the classroom where the teams alternate in question selection and only the team selecting the question can answer?
2nd one, alternate. If the team with choice gets it wrong, the other team has a chance to answer and steal the question.
Nick Petrilli
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Ward Melville is currently putting together a team, we should know our four members by Friday.
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

TheCzarMan wrote: After the conclusion of the preliminary rounds, the top eight teams will be chosen by total cumulative points.
Does this mean W-L doesn't matter?
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

dinoian wrote:
TheCzarMan wrote: After the conclusion of the preliminary rounds, the top eight teams will be chosen by total cumulative points.
Does this mean W-L doesn't matter?
I believe there is a points bonus for wins.
Nick Petrilli

Or you could just seed it by W-L and then rank the teams with the same records by points, the standard practice at pretty much every high school tournament.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I'd like to register a team of students from my school, but we would not be officially going under the school name. Should I put my home address and home phone where it asks for the school address and school phone? Also should I put the parent that is driving us there as the adviser, or should I put myself? Also, is it possible to bring a check the day of the tournament?
ChathamNJ
Wakka

Post by ChathamNJ »

Jeopardy-style tournaments are very, very common in NJ. Here's a primer as to how they usually work, presented without opinion:

-Bagels/donuts and OJ provided by host school. Sometimes there's coffee and pastry for the coaches.

-Six categories, sometimes a standard distribution (e.g. Science, Lang/Lit, History, etc.), sometimes narrower categories. Usually five questions in each, valued at 20/40/60/80/100. Higher-valued questions are intended to be more difficult.

-Two teams of four, each sitting at a pod of desks with paper in the middle for everyone.

-Coaches read the questions and keep score on the board. The host will usually provide a bunch of readers/scorekeepers since the number of teams is usually greater than the number of coaches.

-Coin flip to see which team picks first. Team #1 picks a category and value. Question is read, sometimes repeated, then the team gets some amount of time (usually 30 sec) to discuss, either aloud or on paper. Captain or captain's designee answers. If it's right, they get the points. If it's wrong, the other team gets some amount of time (usually 10 sec) to answer and steal the points.

-Team #2 goes. Alternate possession until the board is clear.

-Games last ~40 minutes, so usually four rounds are played before a lunch break.

-Opponents are randomly drawn from the entire field (no brackets). Teams get a spreadsheet and find their 4 opponents and rooms. Coaches are on their honor not to game the system and put their A team against the perceived weaker competition.

-Score is based on total points. Winning team receives a bonus, usually 50-100 pts. If it's a tie, split the bonus pts.

Is it quizbowl the way the regulars on this board know it? Obviously not. But teams that know a lot generally advance farther than teams that don't know a lot, so it can't be all bad. :grin:

Tournaments of 40+ teams are common.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Anything is alright Dio, I don't see a major issue.

We're really looking for teams right now though, since only about 5 are registered, although a bunch of registrations may flood in.
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

have you already received registration for the bergen academies? i think i sent it to your coach, but i never received a reply. in either case, we're bringing two teams, one buzzer system, and will pay with a check on the day of the tournament
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

aarcoh wrote:have you already received registration for the bergen academies? i think i sent it to your coach, but i never received a reply. in either case, we're bringing two teams, one buzzer system, and will pay with a check on the day of the tournament
When discussing teams that sent back replies, Bergen did not come up. I'll check into that on Monday when we are done with midterms.
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

hmmm.....i sent an email to your coach kate putnoky ([email protected]) so she have it. Anyway, we'll be there one way or another
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
gstoye
Lulu

Post by gstoye »

MAST has registered 3 teams. Hope Kate got the form!!
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

gstoye wrote:MAST has registered 3 teams. Hope Kate got the form!!
Yes, she got yours. You, St. Peter's and Leonia are the ones we've received so far.
Nick Petrilli
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Can we get a field update when the registration closes?
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

so do you have bergen academies down for two teams?
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

aarcoh wrote:so do you have bergen academies down for two teams?
I told her to check her email. I'll update field on Monday.
Nick Petrilli
sfisher
Kimahri

Pingry

Post by sfisher »

Count Pingry in for 3 teams. We're trying to contact your coach.
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Ward Melville is bringing 1. The form was e-mailed, and the check will be brought.
slimg
Lulu

Post by slimg »

How do the jeopardy style questions compare in difficulty with those of NAQT?
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

having been to several jeopardy style, i can say the questions on average are usually around naqt difficulty, maybe a little easier. i say on average because every category goes from easiest to hardest question. the easiest question will usually be known by everyone in the room, while no one may know the hardest question
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

I'm sad to say that due to a lack of teams (Less than 20) by our Monday deadline, we're going to have to cancel the tournament. Any money sent will be refunded and we're trying to contact all chaperones.
Nick Petrilli
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Wait... canceled because less than TWENTY teams are coming?
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

cornfused wrote:Wait... canceled because less than TWENTY teams are coming?
Yes, our advisor refuses to run a tournament with less than 20 teams due to believing that less than that number doesn't make the tournament worth it to run (aka, bottom line)
Nick Petrilli

I'm sorry, but your advisor is being really really stupid. 20 teams is like 3 times the number of teams that make a tournament worth still holding. Are all the questions done?

TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Deesy Does It wrote:I'm sorry, but your advisor is being really really stupid. 20 teams is like 3 times the number of teams that make a tournament worth still holding. Are all the questions done?
Yes, they actually bought the questions using the Academic Team fund.
Nick Petrilli
gstoye
Lulu

Post by gstoye »

We (MAST) were sorry to hear that the tournament was cancelled, especially since we were bringing 3 teams, and given the fact that our tournament ran with 7 teams last month, I was kind of surprised to get the email on Tuesday. I thought that maybe the problem was more internal (staffing, question writing, etc.). Hopefully next year will be different.
anikam
Kimahri

Post by anikam »

sorry, but just wondering, who made the announcement that BATE was cancelled/where was it made? colonia was never informed of the cancellation, by email or by phone. my advisor knew nothing of this website, only of a different one where she said information is usually posted, and the only clue we had as to the fact that it might've been cancelled is b/c a couple of us stumbled across this randomly when we were looking to see if we could find which teams were playing. since we didn't recieve any formal notification though, we still drove up. was a mass email sent out or anything that we never got?
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

It was by chance that I sent an email to kate putnoky and was told the tournament was cancelled. Yeah, not a great job letting everyone know.

PS
You're from colonia, right? Could you tell me a bit about your tournament on April 12th (maybe even post it on this website)

anikam wrote:sorry, but just wondering, who made the announcement that BATE was cancelled/where was it made? colonia was never informed of the cancellation, by email or by phone. my advisor knew nothing of this website, only of a different one where she said information is usually posted, and the only clue we had as to the fact that it might've been cancelled is b/c a couple of us stumbled across this randomly when we were looking to see if we could find which teams were playing. since we didn't recieve any formal notification though, we still drove up. was a mass email sent out or anything that we never got?
For future reference, this site is legitimate enough to count as "official" when it comes to tournament announcements, so if a tournament is listed as cancelled then its cancelled. I haven't seen one instance of a tournament being officially listed as cancelled here and then still running.

TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Kate told me she sent an email to the teams on Tuesday saying it was canceled. I'll talk to her about it on Monday.
Nick Petrilli
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

I must say that I was rather honored today to get a registration form from Moravian to come all the way to Jersey for a simple Jeopardy tournament. However, a week late in coming.
Nick Petrilli