High Q

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Crommett
Kimahri

High Q

Post by Crommett »

Now that a good majority of the initial High Q games have been played, how do you guys feel about the competition so far?

I created this thread to promote discussion about High Q since there seemed to be no thread pertaining to Georgia's televised quiz show.

Fire away! :cool:
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Mods, please move this to the Georgia thread.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

cornfused wrote:Mods, please move this to the Georgia thread.
no
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

There are also other "High Q" or "High IQ" programs in the southeast too... but I think in terms of past precedent, we talk TV show competitions (technically it's one tournament) here, and can compare teams at multiple competitons in the state threads. I hope I state the rationale appropriately.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Byko
Yuna

Re: High Q

Post by Byko »

Crommett wrote:Now that a good majority of the initial High Q games have been played, how do you guys feel about the competition so far?

I created this thread to promote discussion about High Q since there seemed to be no thread pertaining to Georgia's televised quiz show.

So what happened with that first-round game between you and Norcross? I'm sure that had to be a good one.

I wish there were a way to see the show online, but failing that, I think it's basically going to come down to Brookwood versus either Alpharetta or maybe Lakeside in one semifinal and the Norcross/Walton winner against Chattahoochee (or maybe Woodward--it's a good format for them and they could pull the upset) fighting for the other spot in the finals. Seriously, that third group of Pace Academy, Coosa, Woodstock, and Northgate looks very weak to me, yet one of them will get a spot in the semifinals.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
kCobain911
Lulu

Post by kCobain911 »

Byko wrote:
Crommett wrote:Now that a good majority of the initial High Q games have been played, how do you guys feel about the competition so far?

So what happened with that first-round game between you and Norcross? I'm sure that had to be a good one.

I wish there were a way to see the show online, but failing that, I think it's basically going to come down to Brookwood versus either Alpharetta or maybe Lakeside in one semifinal and the Norcross/Walton winner against Chattahoochee (or maybe Woodward--it's a good format for them and they could pull the upset) fighting for the other spot in the finals. Seriously, that third group of Pace Academy, Coosa, Woodstock, and Northgate looks very weak to me, yet one of them will get a spot in the semifinals.

Walton won against Norcross. I watched Mary McPherson's high school last weekend, and they looked strong. Walton and Chattahoochee are in the same quarterfinal bracket.
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Byko wrote:I think it's basically going to come down to Brookwood versus either Alpharetta or maybe Lakeside in one semifinal

It's nice to see us predicted doing that well. This is our first time in High Q, but our first game went well. I was disappointed that I missed the Norcross-Walton match while I was on vacation. What was the final score? I'm sure it was a close match.

William Horton
Alpharetta HS
Crommett
Kimahri

Score

Post by Crommett »

I played in the game, and I can't remember the exact score. I am sure Kurt Cobain can hook me up with the numbers. 425-320 is my best guess.
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

Chattahoochee played in its first round game tonight (the last of the first round, I believe) against Rome High.

The questions were... interesting. They certainly weren't pyramidal, but sometimes they did ask some legitimate quizbowl-like stuff, albeit in strange manners. In any case, it clearly wasn't "quizbowl", but I think that was expected by pretty much everyone. Additionally, I thought a lot of the questions were on really easy subjects, which, coupled with the writing style, threw me off quite a bit. This wasn't helped when one of the head-to-head questions was on something I thought was relatively difficult (I suppose I shouldn't talk about the questions until after it airs this Sunday), after going through a bunch of easy ones.

I'm pretty sure this is the first time Chattahoochee has participated on HighQ within the last few years, so it was a whole new experience for us... it was pretty fun being in the studio.

Note: removed some info after realizing that some people might actually want to watch this match.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
Ben_Dodson
Lulu

Post by Ben_Dodson »

The Norcross- Walton match was...interesting. Since the episode already aired I'll replay it back to those that may have missed the 7 A.M. programming time. Basically in round 1, Walton and Norcross was pretty even in score until Walton missed the higher Q question and lost 40 points. At the end of the round it was 30-70 in favor of Norcross. I think round 2 had the faceoffs, which Walton led thus catching them up, 100-110 in Norcross's favor. The 20 bonus type questions we lost big on. Walton got almost all of theirs while we missed about 5 which Walton picked up. They ended the round about 80-90 points ahead. Around 190-280 ish. The last round started with with Walton and Norcross battling for toss-ups, and then we hit another higher Q question. Both teams got it, but Walton wagered 0 while we wagered the full 100 points, thus making the score 340-360. At this point the 1 minute bell started. From then all it was a slaughter with Walton raking in about 6 consecutive tossups. Then ended up beating us by around 100-120. But meh, I got my 15 minutes. Congratulations to Walton and I'll definitely be watching that Chatt-Walton match when it airs.

In all, the match was pretty fun. I gotta say though, Chuck Dowdle, not a fan. Other than that, great time and glad I got to do it before I graduated. So yea...for anyone who's never been on T.V., I highly recommend it. =)
Ben_Dodson
Lulu

Post by Ben_Dodson »

Oh one more thing though I forgot.

The thing they have with the "This Day in History" should be done away with. Really, having the teams know HALF the answers ahead of time is ridiculous. One tossup I got started as "He born in India...*Buzz*!!!" Me:" Kipling." Chuck: "Correct!". I mean, come on. That's not quizbowl, that's just comparing how fast people move their fingers.
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Its not completely a test of buzzer speed because you do have to study the things beforehand. Even though at normal tournaments they wouldn't tell you what to study, it is not completely a buzzer race because it is not common knowledge who was born or what happened on a specific Sunday in the year. It is more a test of how well you prepare, and is probably included for the entertainment of viewers who like to know that Al Harrington was born on February 17, 1980 or other things like that.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:Its not completely a test of buzzer speed because you do have to study the things beforehand. Even though at normal tournaments they wouldn't tell you what to study, it is not completely a buzzer race because it is not common knowledge who was born or what happened on a specific Sunday in the year. It is more a test of how well you prepare, and is probably included for the entertainment of viewers who like to know that Al Harrington was born on February 17, 1980 or other things like that.
Yes and no. Back when I was on the show (in 1994), they had some of those questions--in fact, for several weeks, the first question of the game was always one of those. So some of them might be more likely to be able to be studied and some of them not so much. For example, on an April 23 airing, the first question began, "He was born on and died on the same day." That's as far as they got: William Shakespeare. The previous week, there was a question about John Millington Synge's The Playboy of the Western World because Synge had been born on April 16. That's not quite the same level.

Now I don't know how the show is today (heck, the game format sounds quite different from what I remember: there weren't any Higher Q questions, whatever those are), but it sounds like this is something they've kept close to the same. I'm personally not a fan of these because it can easily degenerate into a buzzer race, but it is something that they might do because it's televised and, in theory, interesting to the audience.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:
Byko wrote:I think it's basically going to come down to Brookwood versus either Alpharetta or maybe Lakeside in one semifinal

It's nice to see us predicted doing that well. This is our first time in High Q, but our first game went well. I was disappointed that I missed the Norcross-Walton match while I was on vacation. What was the final score? I'm sure it was a close match.

William Horton
Alpharetta HS
I haven't seen you all play, unfortunately, but my estimate is on a combination of two things:

1. You seem to be having a good season.
2. You are, far and away, on the easier half of the draw.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

The Brookwood-Galloway Schools match this morning was definitely the most exciting of this season. Both teams played well, especially during the speed round, which was amazing to watch. Now with Brookwood out, it makes the tournament more interesting.
Xerxes
Lulu

Post by Xerxes »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:The Brookwood-Galloway Schools match this morning was definitely the most exciting of this season. Both teams played well, especially during the speed round, which was amazing to watch. Now with Brookwood out, it makes the tournament more interesting.
It doesn't make anything more interesting. Lloyd Bush needs to learn to write pyramidal questions that reward the best team. A team like Brookwood should not be getting eliminated this early in the tournament.
ragnarok2012
Lulu

Post by ragnarok2012 »

Xerxes wrote: It doesn't make anything more interesting. Lloyd Bush needs to learn to write pyramidal questions that reward the best team. A team like Brookwood should not be getting eliminated this early in the tournament.
Like many trivia shows, you can't have long in depth pyramidal tossups for the common public. High Q is not quizbowl and it is not meant to be. the fact that you have quirky tossups like flying chaucer is meant to entertain not test knowledge.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

If its not parading around as quizbowl then why are we discussing it in a quizbowl forum?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Xerxes
Lulu

Post by Xerxes »

ragnarok2012 wrote:
Xerxes wrote: It doesn't make anything more interesting. Lloyd Bush needs to learn to write pyramidal questions that reward the best team. A team like Brookwood should not be getting eliminated this early in the tournament.
Like many trivia shows, you can't have long in depth pyramidal tossups for the common public. High Q is not quizbowl and it is not meant to be. the fact that you have quirky tossups like flying chaucer is meant to entertain not test knowledge.
Well then it shouldn't be an indicator of any school's abilities. But seriously...who is most of High-Q's audience anyway? I'm sure most of them are not middle aged couples that set aside thirty minutes a week to watch. The main audience of High-Q are probably players/coaches/parents/former players etc. If somebody wants entertainment, tell them to watch Jeopardy.
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Deesy Does It wrote:If its not parading around as quizbowl then why are we discussing it in a quizbowl forum?
Because it is still a regular season academic tournament being played by high schoolers who want to discuss it, and there are also others on the board who want to discuss it. KMO is also discussed on this board, along with many other things that I don't consider 'quizbowl'.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

That was kind of a sarcastic point I was trying to make that apparently was missed.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Xerxes wrote:
AlphaQuizBowler wrote:Now with Brookwood out, it makes the tournament more interesting.
It doesn't make anything more interesting.
What I mean is that with last year's runner up and champion eliminated this season, the tournament's results are less predictable than before. Whether you like the questions or not, this unpredictability makes the outcome more interesting. Also, I'm not saying this unpredictability is good quizbowl, just that it makes me interested to see who will win.
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Deesy Does It wrote:That was kind of a sarcastic point I was trying to make that apparently was missed.
I would be my coach and say "the burden of communication falls on the sender." But no, I'm just going to say I shouldn't post when I hadn't slept the night before.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

I do not like High Q. I did not like it when my teams did well there and I do not like it when they do not do well there. I have never liked High Q dating back to its inception in 1986.

Now, I feel much better. :-)

PS Brookwood played abysmally in losing to Galloway. It was the worst match I have seen my team play this year. We did not play well in any quarter including the speed rounds.
Gunnells
Lulu

Post by Gunnells »

I want to like High Q, but it is horribly mismanaged.

I don't get the reasoning behind adding questions to appeal to the viewing audience for a show that airs at 7:00 am Sunday morning. Obviously the audience doesn't find it that appealing. Since their idea's don't seem to draw anyone, why not ask people who really know quiz bowl for suggestions? They could could keep some mass appeal elements and still make it a much better tournament.

For example, it is ridiculous the way they assign spots. Basically every private school in Atlanta is invited, and one school from each public system (Gwinnett got an extra spot this year because Brookwood was automatically qualified as defending champ). Some schools that never play in real competitions get to go every year, while some of the best teams in the state rarely appear because most of the top programs are concentrated in a few systems.

For the four or five years preceding this one, Parkview was unquestionably one of the top 10 teams in the state, but never appeared on High Q. Norcross has been one of the top 10 or 12 teams for the last half decade, but never appeared til this year. Central Gwinnett was one of the top 40 or 50 teams in the nation last year, but they lost to Brookwood at County and couldn't get on High Q. Meanwhile, random private schools get on every year so they can be served up to a good team for a beating.

Once the teams get there, they are haphazardly assigned to brackets, resulting in ridiculous early round matches like this year's Walton-Norcross pairing in the first round.

It would probably help the ratings to try to get good teams and good matchups as late as possible, and it would definitely help to get more AAAA/AAAAA schools that represent large communities and average viwers flipping the dial have heard of from every other sport. Since they obviously don't have a clue about seedings, let the GATA coaches or someone seed the teams. People like good competition, and they like pulling for the underdogs. Someone might grumble about their seed, but it's mostly sour grapes. You can bet the Galloway kids knew they weren't expected to beat Brookwood regardless of format.

If you put a number by each teams' name, get the best teams while still representing a cross section of Atlanta, write some decent questions, educate the people on the game, and try to structure it better, I almost guarantee it would draw better ratings than it gets now. It couldn't draw much worse.
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

A great question from today's match:
The Seven Years War lasted 7 years. In what century?
And the Sounds Irish category was just people with names starting with O, including Shaq and Oprah.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
Ben_Dodson
Lulu

Post by Ben_Dodson »

WSB-TV does not care enough to conduct any reforms regarding High-Q. All that matters is that the station can claim they "care" for the education system in Georgia by doing something like hosting an academic tournament that offers a scholarship. By doing this, they are obviously doing their part in supporting the community and promoting "academic prowess".

*vomit*.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Could be worse. You could have our local TV quiz competition here in Raleigh. Highlights of past questions include "Humphrey Bogart is a...". Though they were prescient in that in the spring of 2007 they stated that Al Gore had won a Nobel Peace Prize.

Eric
Eric Grunden, Research Triangle High School/NCATA
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Just making sure that I clarify... it's not the station management, it's the production management for the program. Sorry to jade all of you, but the TV producers do care about keeping the audience involved and not embarrassing the kids. It does no good to have a large number of questions left unanswered, but just as Rick rails against the tedious tossup/bonus format, I would hope that High-Q offers the variety that most Georgia coaches/quiz bowl programs have said they wanted. (Of course, I haven't watched the show in ages to know.)

And we won't go into BrainGame details here. Gosh.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Pin-tailed Manakin wrote:Just making sure that I clarify... it's not the station management, it's the production management for the program. Sorry to jade all of you, but the TV producers do care about keeping the audience involved and not embarrassing the kids. It does no good to have a large number of questions left unanswered, but just as Rick rails against the tedious tossup/bonus format, I would hope that High-Q offers the variety that most Georgia coaches/quiz bowl programs have said they wanted. (Of course, I haven't watched the show in ages to know.)

And we won't go into BrainGame details here. Gosh.
Yeah, I never got my copy of an episode of BrainGame that someone was going to acquire for me. Fine. No sharing other horrible high school quiz shows from Toledo and other places for you!
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Byko wrote: Yeah, I never got my copy of an episode of BrainGame that someone was going to acquire for me.
I have some in HD. Really. I'll burn you a DVD.

Eric
theblitzer
Kimahri

Post by theblitzer »

What I find most interesting about High Q is that they have probably over a dozen people on the credits, yet I only see 1 cameraman, Lloyd, Chuck, and one assistant. Maybe one producer or something, but are all the rest really there editing the footage?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

rchschem wrote:
Byko wrote: Yeah, I never got my copy of an episode of BrainGame that someone was going to acquire for me.
I have some in HD. Really. I'll burn you a DVD.

Eric
Yeah... it's weird: I don't have a VCR/DVD burner.

I'm just surprised an episode still hasn't been uploaded to YouTube. (Internal reference: let's rotate the board!)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

ILoveReeses wrote:
I'm just surprised an episode still hasn't been uploaded to YouTube. (Internal reference: let's rotate the board!)
Hmmm. YouTube...I'll see what I can do about that.

BTW--the new Brain Game producer is great. I have met with her several times regarding reforms and good things are happening. Of course, there's hardly anywhere to go but up...

Eric
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

rchschem wrote:
ILoveReeses wrote:
Hmmm. YouTube...I'll see what I can do about that.

BTW--the new Brain Game producer is great. I have met with her several times regarding reforms and good things are happening. Of course, there's hardly anywhere to go but up...

Eric
Great! I obviously wish I could be around to help.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

You can now watch Brain Game episodes on-line. Go to http://www.wral.com and do a keyword search for "brain game". That's really the only way to find it. Progress is slow, but there. The sad thing is that since they have improved the question quality and difficulty, some schools are allowing themselves to be humiliated.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

rchschem wrote:The sad thing is that since they have improved the question quality and difficulty, some schools are allowing themselves to be humiliated.
This isn't just sad, it's a real problem. As a television show, they cannot allow the schools to be humiliated. That isn't what the public wants to see. To be a success, they need to make the students/schools look good to the public. Unless you can get the other schools to improve, I'd suspect that the questions will begin to devolve to where no one humiliates themselves.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
theblitzer
Kimahri

Post by theblitzer »

Well, the championship match was on this morning: Walton vs. Alpharetta- In the first three periods Walton was exactly one question ahead (They were ahead 10 points in the first two periods, and 20 points in the second). What clinched the game was the second Higher Q Question- Alpharetta was leading by 40 points and bet 100, while Walton bet 60. Alpharetta got it right and Walton missed it, after which there was a 200 point difference with about 30 seconds to make it up.
theblitzer
Kimahri

Post by theblitzer »

WSB had a story on High Q on its website. http://www.wsbtv.com/video/16176676/index.html
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

WSB wrote:Which high school has the smartest kids in Georgia?
William
Harvard '15
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

If anyone missed the High Q finals and wants to watch it, it can be found in this article.
William
Harvard '15