TIT/MLK Mirror @ UGA 1/19/08 (Athens, GA) RESULTS

Old college threads.
vig180
Wakka

TIT/MLK Mirror @ UGA 1/19/08 (Athens, GA) RESULTS

Post by vig180 »

The University of Georgia Quizbowl Team is pleased to announce UGA's mirror of the 2008 Maryland Terrapin Invitational Tournament, a modified-ACF style event to take place on the UGA campus on Jan. 19th 2008 (MLK weekend). This is a packet-submission event (unless you're prepared to pay extra) but since we've gotten the announcement out a bit late the deadlines for packet discounts have been extended with the blessing of Maryland.

The complete tournament announcement and the guidelines for packets may be found here:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4608

The only changes from that announcement are with regards to the dates for packet discounts:
If you submit a full packet by Dec. 8th, you will receive -$50
If you submit a full packet by Dec. 15th, you will receive -$25
After that, the dates that are in the announcement will be in force. However, since we do understand this is a bit short notice please contact us if you have any questions about getting your packet in.

All teams will compete together, but we will have a special award for the top all-undergrad/community college team. The questions will be slightly harder than ACF Fall, but not as hard as ACF Regionals levels, so we encourage all teams who attended ACF Fall to come.

If you have any questions or would like to indicate interest/you're
writing a packet, please let us know as soon as possible at [email protected]
Last edited by vig180 on Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

I thought UF might have been mirroring this as well, although I'm not certain, and they certainly haven't announced as such.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

I think UF announced that SSI would be that day, but this was at COTKU, so they didn't give any details about the questions. I haven't seen or heard anything about it since then, though, so I'm glad to see this tournament happening. Hopefully Vandy will send a couple teams in my absence.
vig180
Wakka

Post by vig180 »

Hmm, we weren't at COTKU so we hadn't heard anything about tournaments at UF. But there is a good 6 hour drive between Athens and Gainesville and considering the number of teams (which seems to be growing) that are active in the region I think the market can handle it. We certainly didn't mean to step on anyone's toes, but UMD seemed cool with us mirroring, we hadn't heard anything about a UF tournament, and SSI last year took place on the weekend before MLK.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

As far as I know, UF is not mirroring TIT.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

vig180 wrote: SSI last year took place on the weekend before MLK.
That very well may be possible. I don't remember exactly which day they said. UF people seem to be noticeably absent from the board lately, but hopefully they'll post something soon.
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

I thoroughly approve of this date. I think Furman will be very interested given that UGA is only 2 hours from us (which is the closest tournament site I can recall hearing about since I've been here). I do implore you to please post fees, packet submission deadlines, &c. ASAP, even if they're just estimates, as we are making decisions about winter tournaments now.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
vig180
Wakka

Post by vig180 »

The complete TIT announcement can be found at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4608 We will likely follow that very closely, although there might be a few changes, especially in packet deadlines since we are announcing this late.
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

"Barring some catastrophic event" Furman will be sending one team.

EDIT: And we plan to submit the packet by the 12/15 deadline..
Quinn James
Furman University '10
vig180
Wakka

Post by vig180 »

Field update 1/15:
Furman- 1
Berry- 2
FSU- 2
GA Tech- 1
USC- 1
UGA- 0-1
Bama - 2-3
UTC - 1
Vandy- 2

We'd like to get to 10(+!?) teams, so please let us know if you're interested. We're willing to work with teams if they have issues with packets, finances, etc., so feel free to email us [email protected] with any concerns.
Last edited by vig180 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:46 am, edited 6 times in total.
vig180
Wakka

Post by vig180 »

Field updated again. We're going to have to figure out teams et. al. pretty soon so if you're planning on coming please let us know by the weekend.
vig180
Wakka

Post by vig180 »

Brief Results:

1. FSU A
2. Vandy
3. Bama A

Individ.
1. Billy FSU A
2. Jack Vandy
3. Nathan Furman
4. Jacob UTC
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

I thought UGA ran a really good tournament. There was only a couple of minutes between rounds and most of the readers were top notch even though some of the tossups were on the long side. The books were pretty good as well. The pre-tournament planning must have also been good since some of the teams dropped out at the last minute due to the weather. In summary, thanks for the hosting.
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Deesy Does It wrote:Andy (and everyone out there who has limited webspace or whatever), if you're having trouble uploading the stats, you can use this program to quickly upload the SQBS stats pages for public viewing.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

Nathan, thanks for the link, but web hosting wasn't the problem -- it was an issue of getting the reports from our stats-keeper. Anyway, we've gotten that taken care of, so here are the STATS. We appreciate everyone's patience with us getting this taken care of.

We'll be changing our stats procedures in the future so this doesn't happen again.

Many thanks to all the teams and players that braved some rare frozen precipitation to attend the tournament. We hope everyone enjoyed their experience.