RESULTS: 5th Annual Gonzaga Academic Tournament (GAT) 2/9/08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

RESULTS: 5th Annual Gonzaga Academic Tournament (GAT) 2/9/08

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

You are invited to Gonzaga College High School in Washington, DC's 5th Annual Gonzaga Academic Tournament.
The Cost will be:
$60 for first team(this is higher than the flier we passed out at Princeton, sorry)
-$5 for each additional team
-$5 for a buzzer that works
-$5 if PAYMENT is sent before Feb. 1st
$15 for questions
Please make all checks payable to Gonzaga Academic Team.
Format:
We will follow the format used by PACE for its National Tournament-contact us if you have any questions about that.
Scenic 19 Eye Street between H and K Streets on North Capitol Street. It's about 2 blocks away from Union Station and is right by the Capitol and many museums if you want to go sight-seeing.
Food:
Breakfast will be legit.
To register send an e-mail to our Coach Father Kenneth Meehan at [email protected] with your school name, how many teams you're bringing, and how many buzzer systems you're bringing, as well as as an emergency contact number in case you're late and we need to call you. Please send all checks (if you're registering early) to Gonzaga Academic Team/ Gonzaga High School/ 19 Eye Street, NW/ Washington, DC 20001.
Field:
We expect a very competitive field and we're capping the field at 42 teams right now so please register soon.
Moderators:
We had some moderating issues at our last tournament and we're hoping to fix those by capping the field at 42 but if you are in the DC area on the 9th and like a free lunch we would GREATLY appreciate any help.
Last edited by Gonzagapuma1 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

By legit, Dan means amazing. Best breakfast offered by any academic tournament. Ever.
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

Seconded.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
Djibouti
Wakka

Post by Djibouti »

Depending on class requirements at the time, I may be interested in moderating since I'm only a few minutes away. And I'll get Perry Hall to come along.

If possible, I would like to see Perry Hall play, so could I perhaps follow Perry Hall for the day as long as you feel it does not present a competitive advantage (perhaps I could rotate reading with someone - I read at Maryland for Perry Hall and it worked all right, though I understand the argument of "getting used to my reading style" throughout the day)?
Djibouti
Wakka

Post by Djibouti »

Oh, and the breakfast is pretty legit. So is the tournament... kinda.

Actually, great tournament for anyone who likes any of the following: really pyramidal questions, challenging questions, good questions. My only knock last year was that many of the sports questions were Redskins questions (which I despised), though otherwise the tournament was REALLY REALLY good - a great tournament for anyone considering nationals, or, you know, not considering nationals - either way.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

This tournament is being written by different people, and in a different format, than the tournament last year. Unless I'm mistaken, more specifically it's being written by Dave Bykowski's Academic Initiative team. In any case, the questions are sure to meet the "good" and "pyramidal" categories, but if you were put off at all by some more esoteric answer selection last year, don't let that influence your decision for this year's tournament as this tournament is quite unlikely to feature 8-line tossups on Henri Bergson.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

Just for clarification. I wrote last year's tournament (except for the science) and I will be writing a large portion of this tournament with Dave Bykowski for Academic Initiative. If you liked last year's questions please come back and expect more of the same. As the set will be used in many places across the country expect the tournament to be on the whole a little easier (but I stand by Bergson as valid answer selection in the semi-finals featuring teams such as Maggie Walker, TJ, Dorman, and RM). BTW, I will be back in DC to moderate for this.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

DumbJaques wrote:This tournament is being written by different people, and in a different format, than the tournament last year. Unless I'm mistaken, more specifically it's being written by Dave Bykowski's Academic Initiative team. In any case, the questions are sure to meet the "good" and "pyramidal" categories, but if you were put off at all by some more esoteric answer selection last year, don't let that influence your decision for this year's tournament as this tournament is quite unlikely to feature 8-line tossups on Henri Bergson.
It will not feature 8-line tossups on anything or anybody.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Bump. and Field Update. YAY
Baltimore Poly(1)
Banneker(3)
Bishop Ireton(1)
Centennial(3)
Eleanor Roosevelt(1-2)
Georgetown Day(2)
Howard(1)
Maggie Walker(1)
Marshall(1-2)
Mount Vernon(1)
Perry Hall(2)
Poolesville(3)
Quince Orchard(1)
Richard Montgomery(2)
Robinson(1)
St. Anselm's(2)
Seton Hall(2)
South Lakes(1)
State College(2)
Thomas Jefferson(6)
Walter Johnson(1)
Wilson(1)
Whitman(2)

So this list means we have 40 teams confirmed which means we still have room for 2 teams. I know a bunch of teams have expressed interest so sign up already.
Last edited by Gonzagapuma1 on Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:30 am, edited 17 times in total.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

The 'Em is coming with at least two teams. I already emailed your coach.
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

yo, you know we be up in dis hizzle. btw, im gonna gat you
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

segregold wrote:The 'Em is coming with at least two teams. I already emailed your coach.
Father never told me about that, but whatever you guys are now signed up.
wowitsquinthaha wrote:yo, you know we be up in dis hizzle. btw, im gonna gat you
I understood that.
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

segregold wrote:The 'Em
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

The Em... is that what they call Magruder nowadays? :lol:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

i know you did, dan.

I expect paul fontelo to read for me every round
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
The Infanta
Wakka

Post by The Infanta »

Unfortunately, Kellenberg will not be attending (darn you, Science Olympiad!).
Marisol Brady (they/them)
Kellenberg Memorial HS '09
University of Delaware '1X
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Seton Hall Prep will be coming. We will be bringing two teams. I will e-mail details tomorrow.
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

SHP Pirate wrote:Seton Hall Prep will be coming. We will be bringing two teams. I will e-mail details tomorrow.
Ok. Sounds good.
Diet Chuck
Lulu

Post by Diet Chuck »

Bump TJ up to six teams. Although you might want to put an asterisk by that because we are prone to last-second dropouts.
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Diet Chuck wrote:Bump TJ up to six teams. Although you might want to put an asterisk by that because we are prone to last-second dropouts.
ok
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

I'm pretty sure Blake's coming, but I'll give you a confirmation shortly.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Gov's attendance is now contingent on us finding an acceptable person to transport a team, as Dr. B. is supervising admissions tests that day. We have two options but are stuck awaiting the approval of our director (principal-type guy).
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Blake is indeed coming. I'm going to assume and hope Mr. Caulfield has contacted you.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

NeverHitTina wrote:Blake is indeed coming. I'm going to assume and hope Mr. Caulfield has contacted you.
Actually, he hasn't, so I'd just remind him to do it as soon as possible cuz we expect the limit to be reached possibly by the end of this next wk.
Kevin Leahy, the Bringer of Sin
Gonzaga College H.S. '08
Georgetown '12
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Gov's chaperone has been approved, pending some forms. Dr. B. should be registering us soon.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

MLWGS-Gir wrote:Gov's chaperone has been approved, pending some forms. Dr. B. should be registering us soon.
woo camerons mom
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:Gov's chaperone has been approved, pending some forms. Dr. B. should be registering us soon.
Tentatively approved. But yeah please hold open a spot for one team. It will not be our regular A team, more like our B+ team, but they're a spunky lot.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Please put Howard in for a team and a buzzer. I meant to e-mail this to Father Meehan last night, and I cannot access my e-mail right now.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Howard wrote:Please put Howard in for a team and a buzzer. I meant to e-mail this to Father Meehan last night, and I cannot access my e-mail right now.
Ok I will, but could you please e-mail father meehan as soon as you can?
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

jbarnes112358 wrote:
Tentatively approved. But yeah please hold open a spot for one team. It will not be our regular A team, more like our B+ team, but they're a spunky lot.
I said "pending forms."
Sam L,
PACE
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Gonzagapuma1 wrote:
Howard wrote:Please put Howard in for a team and a buzzer. I meant to e-mail this to Father Meehan last night, and I cannot access my e-mail right now.
Ok I will, but could you please e-mail father meehan as soon as you can?
Sure will. Thanks. Much.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

I just wanted to let everyone know that there are only 6 spots left so if you are planning on coming let us know as soon as possible. Also, could someone from Howard and someone from Seton Hall please e-mail Father Meehan because he has not gotten e-mails from either team.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

This was a good tournament. It was certainly run more smoothly than last year, although I think it would have been better with less down time. We were done with 2 play off rounds around 4:45 (I think). I'm not sure if that's good or bad considering we had 5 rounds of prelims and the 28 question PACE style.

I'm going to assume I can't talk about specifics yet: The questions seemed really easy in the first few rounds (in one game, we powered 9/10), but I guess I'm biased because I had been playing ACF fall and regionals online. Overall, I liked the questions, except for some really bad ones which just seemed out of place in an otherwise very good set. I was sad about the lack of philosophy questions and the abundance of element questions (which I really really hate, although I can't really come up with a good arguement against it).

There was a protest over the pronunciation of a certain location. (The best example I can come up with is saying Hokkadio for Hokkaido). I was OK with the ultimate outcome since I was unsure at the moment (although having checked it now, I'm 95% sure I should have won the protest) but I wasn't happy with the logic that was used to resolve it. They said that they weren't sure because "Hokkadio" gave few hundred hits on google. Therefore, they said it was up to "reader discretion" . . . oh well.

It was a tiring but definitely fun tournament.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Good tournament. Questions were on the whole very well written: gg, Dave Bykowski. Still went slower than I like to see in a tournament, but there wasn't any of the 8:00 P.M. type debacle that went on last year. The only complaint I have is that one of the readers my team had was inexcusably slow- it took us over an hour to finish a 28 tossup round. We were able to switch him for Dr. Chuck in the next round and everything else was fine.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Final Results? Who won?

All I know is that Walt Whitman was playing State College in the finals. with RM A and Maggie Walker as semifinalists.
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

RM A wasn't in the semis. it was Whitman, State College, Gov, and TJ.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Really? Somebody told us it was RM... Good to know.
Sam L,
PACE
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Whitman A beat SC A. Gov A and TJ A were the semifinalists.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

aestheteboy wrote:
There was a protest over the pronunciation of a certain location. (The best example I can come up with is saying Hokkadio for Hokkaido). I was OK with the ultimate outcome since I was unsure at the moment (although having checked it now, I'm 95% sure I should have won the protest) but I wasn't happy with the logic that was used to resolve it. They said that they weren't sure because "Hokkadio" gave few hundred hits on google. Therefore, they said it was up to "reader discretion" . . . oh well.

Sorry the game had to end that way, Daichi. It was one of our closest all day.
Sam L,
PACE
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:
aestheteboy wrote:

Sorry the game had to end that way, Daichi. It was one of our closest all day.
Yeah, protests are never fun. But I'm glad you guys won because you guys clearly played better than us, and I was feeling bad for being a hardass throughout the game. I have to say I was underestimating Gov B+.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

How many teams were here?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

My bad I never posted full results. and to fred- 42
First Round of Playoffs(im doing this from memory so please correct me if im wrong):
1)Whitman defeat 16) TJ C
2) State College A defeats 15) Centennial A
3) Walter Johnson defeats 14) St. Anselm's
4) TJ A defeats 13) RM B
5) RM A defeats 12) Robinson
6) Maggie Walker defeats 11) TJ B
10) State College B defeats 7) Seton Hall A
8) GDS A defeats 9) Whitman B
Quarters:
1) Whitman defeats 8) GDS A
2) SC A defeats 10) SC B
6) Maggie Walker defeats 3) Walter Johnson
4) TJ A defeats 5) RM A
Semis:
1) Whitman defeats 4) TJ A
2) SC A defeats MW
Finals:
Whitman defeats State College
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Are you posting the prelim stats?
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

aestheteboy wrote:Are you posting the prelim stats?
Yea whatever "stats"(not my idea) we did will be posted next week cause Gonzaga has a 4-day weekend.
Dan Puma
Currently Unaffiliated
Former Member, PACE
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Gonzagapuma1 wrote:My bad I never posted full results. and to fred- 42
First Round of Playoffs(im doing this from memory so please correct me if im wrong):
1)Whitman defeat 16) TJ C
2) State College A defeats 15) Centennial A
3) Walter Johnson defeats 14) St. Anselm's
4) TJ A defeats 13) RM B
5) RM A defeats 12) Robinson
6) Maggie Walker defeats 11) TJ B
10) State College B defeats 7) Seton Hall A
8) GDS A defeats 9) Whitman B
Quarters:
1) Whitman defeats 8) GDS A
2) SC A defeats 10) SC B
6) Maggie Walker defeats 3) Walter Johnson
4) TJ A defeats 5) RM A
Semis:
1) Whitman defeats 4) TJ A
2) SC A defeats MW
Finals:
Whitman defeats State College
Thanks!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Our program is seriously lacking in PACE format practice sets; is it still possible to purchase these?
Sam L,
PACE
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:Our program is seriously lacking in PACE format practice sets; is it still possible to purchase these?
Yea, I probably should have mentioned this but they're $20 if you want us to mail the set to you and $15 if you want us to give you them at the next tournament we both go to.
Dan Puma
Currently Unaffiliated
Former Member, PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Gonzagapuma1 wrote:
MLWGS-Gir wrote:Our program is seriously lacking in PACE format practice sets; is it still possible to purchase these?
Yea, I probably should have mentioned this but they're $20 if you want us to mail the set to you and $15 if you want us to give you them at the next tournament we both go to.
Thanks. I'll tell Dr. B.
Sam L,
PACE
Mooman
Lulu

Re: 5th Annual Gonzaga Academic Tournament(GAT) on 2/9/08

Post by Mooman »

when (or if) are the "stats" going to be posted?