ABC XXXIV (Oct 26-27, 2007) at Vanderbilt University

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
vuquizbowl
Kimahri

ABC XXXIV (Oct 26-27, 2007) at Vanderbilt University

Post by vuquizbowl »

Even though the current year isn't over, we wanted to announce the date for ABC XXXIV in the fall, since Oct 26-27 is the only weekend we can host. It's an ACT date, but hopefully people can plan accordingly. We'll get a full announcement out later in the summer.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Ok all you DC powerhouses, and anyone else who wants to go to a great tournament, please come to this. Since it's fairly central and it gets the best from the Southeast/midwest, please, please, please consider coming to this tournament. It definitely has the best chance to be a "pre-national" event.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
yangsta
Wakka

Post by yangsta »

It also conflicts with UVa's fall tournament, so the "DC powerhouses" have that to consider...

God Damn it.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Dude relax
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

We had a good time at Vandy last November, but that's most likely going to be the date for UNC's fall tournament for NC teams. Last year worked out perfectly because it was over a three-day weekend for us.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

yangsta wrote:It also conflicts with UVa's fall tournament, so the "DC powerhouses" have that to consider...
For the past four or five years, there have been question swaps between these two tournaments as well, so sorry to say, it's unlikely we'll attract DC area teams for the fall.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Below is the official announcement for Vanderbilt's ABC XXXIV on October 26-27, 2007, in Nashville, TN. Please note that, due to an as-yet-unresolved problem with student org websites, we haven't been able to upload the files yet. We hope that within a week or so, the following link will contain all this information, plus workable links to registration, rules, etc.: http://studentorgs.vanderbilt.edu/colle ... _info.html In the meantime, email us (vuquizbowl AT yahoo DOT com) with any questions.

Your school is cordially invited to participate in Vanderbilt's 34th Academic Bowl Contest on October 26-27, 2007. Because of your participation, ABC has been incredibly successful. We hold one of the largest and longest-running high school academic tournaments in the nation. We believe our tournament is among the best in terms of strength and diversity of field, location, and most importantly, question quality.

!!Important Notice!!
All schools wishing to bring two or more teams must provide at least one reader (depending on field size, some provided readers may not be needed, but we still need them available and at the readers meetings).

Format

We will use the standard two-day format, with separate varsity and JV (9th/10th grade only) divisions. You may attend the optional Friday night session of four Swiss-paired rounds. Friday night's results are used to seed teams for the real action on Saturday morning, and after seeding, Friday's results are discarded. It is in your interest to play Friday night to earn a good seed (and just to play more games), but it is purely optional. Saturday morning, teams are divided into pools of 5-6 teams each. You play a full round robin in your pool, and the top teams based on record and then average points per game move to the playoffs. The playoffs will most likely consist of a 16 or 32 team single elimination bracket, depending on the field size for each division. Every team that plays Friday is guaranteed to play eight rounds. Teams that play Saturday only are guaranteed five rounds.

Approximate Schedule (all times central)

Friday, October 26

5:00-6:00 Registration (Wilson 126)
6:15 Coaches meeting (Wilson 103)
6:15 Readers meeting (Wilson 126)
7:00-10:00 Swiss paired rounds

Saturday, October 27

8:00 – 8:30 Registration (Wilson 126)
NOTE: If you play on Fri night, please check in on Sat to let us know you are back.
8:30 Coaches Meeting (Wilson 103)
8:30 Readers Meeting (Wilson 126)
9:00 – 12:30 Round robin matches
12:30 - 1:30 lunch
1:30 - 5:00 Playoffs/Consolation

Remember to look at the Additional Info for maps, directions, etc.

Fees

The tournament fee is $70.00 per team. See registration form for team registration details.

Each buzzer set you bring is a $5.00 discount. Each competent reader you bring is a $15.00 discount - this discount is in effect even if you bring a required reader. It is important that if you get the reader discount, the reader actually reads and does not just serve as a back-up. IF YOU HAVE A BUZZER SET, BRING IT, even if it doesn't always work right. Please indicate whether your buzzer is fully working or back up only. We don't want to, but we will play hand slap rounds if necessary.

Other
If you have never attended ABC, you can download a couple sample rounds of ABC style questions from the ABC home page. If you would like more old questions, email us about purchasing them.

The deadline for receiving registrations is October 22. We only need your registration by this date. You can pay on the tournament date, or if your check is delayed, just let us know. Once you are registered, you will receive an email confirmation within a week. Do not assume you are registered unless you receive the email. If you have not received your email, contact Tyler Ritchie to verify your registration status.

We may cap the field at around 70 or 80 teams if we deem it necessary and we reach that many registrations.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

After 3 weeks of pestering the student org tech support, we finally regained access to our site. The main announcement page is now available:

http://studentorgs.vanderbilt.edu/colle ... _info.html
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

vandyhawk wrote:Below is the official announcement for Vanderbilt's ABC XXXIV on October 26-27, 2007, in Nashville, TN.
You do know this is the same date as the testing window for the ACT, don't you?
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Yes, we're well aware it's an ACT date, but we only have so many options on dates. This year, that weekend is literally the only one available to us based on Vanderbilt's schedule and other HS and college tournaments. The last weekend of October has been our more-or-less traditional date, and we've held it on ACT/SAT dates before without too much of a detriment, given how often those tests are offered.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Does the above link work for everyone? We received some emails from people saying that the link we mailed doesn't work, but it seems to just fine for me. Also, we'll get a field update posted this weekend at some point. If you would like to attend, please go ahead and send in your registration.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

It worked for me, though I did not try registering a team for fear of it slipping through as legit.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Sorry about the lack of a field update - I've been told it's coming soon... With that said, I think we have about 50 teams registered, so we still have room. Let us know if you'd like to attend.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Ok, here is the current field as of 10/25.

Varsity (40 total):

Apollo
Brookwood
Campbell Co.
Chattahoochee
Christ. Acad. Knoxville
Danville
Daviess Co.
Dorman (2)
Dunbar (2)
Edmonson Co.
Ezell-Harding
Franklin Road Acad.
Franklin-Simpson
Grayson
Henderson Co.
Hume-Fogg
James Island
Johnson Central
Lincoln Co.
Madisonville N. Hopkins
McGavock
MLK Magnet (2)
Norcross
N Kansas City
Owensboro
Paintsville
Piarist (2)
Pikeville (2)
Russell
Sacred Heart (2)
Univ. School Nashville
Walton (2)
Woodford Co.

JV (22 total):

Apollo (2)
Brookwood
Danville
Daviess Co.
Dunbar (2)
Edmunson Co.
Ezell-Harding (2)
Franklin-Simpson
Hume-Fogg
Johnson Central (2)
Lincoln Co.
Madisonville N. Hopkins
MLK Magnet (2)
Paintsville
Piarist
Russell
Woodford Co.
Last edited by vandyhawk on Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 8 times in total.
kCobain911
Lulu

Post by kCobain911 »

Tough crowd no? Looks like a veritable southeast showdown. Where's Brindlee Mountain? I am pretty sure I have left out some other good southeast teams so excuse me.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Come to think of it, where are all the AL teams? Is there something else that weekend? In any case, I agree the field looks rather tough, and I'm looking forward to seeing some good matches.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Field is updated above. Since Monday was the given registration deadline, and we're getting close to maxing out on rooms and readers (various campus events have left us with fewer of each than normal), we can't guarantee we'll accept any late registrations. Of course, teams do usually drop, so if you still want to come, email us and we'll see how it goes. Otherwise, we'll look forward to seeing everyone this weekend.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

This is basically just to bump us back up after Dr. Chuck's barrage of posts... The field has minutely changed since yesterday, and I expect it's pretty close to final.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

I will be very interested to see how the Dorman vs. NKC vs. MLK matches all play out ... intense field there for sure.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

If only a telephone match could be arranged between the winner of this and the winner of Cav Classic ... :-)
howlin
Lulu

Post by howlin »

Alabama teams are having troubles with local school boards about travel out of state. God forbid that anyone should discover that there are very intelligent people in Alabama.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

howlin wrote:Alabama teams are having troubles with local school boards about travel out of state. God forbid that anyone should discover that there are very intelligent people in Alabama.
That's unfortunate. I guess they can commiserate with Illinois people now. As for the field, we'll call the JV field set since 24 is a very nice number in our format. We would accept 1-2 more varsity teams, though, if anyone has some interested parties.
howlin
Lulu

Post by howlin »

You can continue to flip one of MLK teams from varsity to JV and vice versa. Most of mine are 10th and below so I can do whatever.
yangsta
Wakka

Post by yangsta »

STPickrell wrote:If only a telephone match could be arranged between the winner of this and the winner of Cav Classic ... :-)
Or they can... go play in Japan or something...
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

yangsta wrote:
STPickrell wrote:If only a telephone match could be arranged between the winner of this and the winner of Cav Classic ... :-)
Or they can... go play in Japan or something...
I can try to find some yes/no questions for that! :razz:
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

howlin wrote:Alabama teams are having troubles with local school boards about travel out of state. God forbid that anyone should discover that there are very intelligent people in Alabama.
We don't have any trouble in this department. Honestly, we're not coming for two reasons:

1) ACT Test - many of my players are taking it.
2) It's on my wife's birthday. While that may seem weak to some, I kinda love her...

-Lee
akinney
Wakka

Post by akinney »

Good job to everyone at Vandy. Everyone played well. North did a lot better than I had thought we would. It's hard losing all your seniors.
Aaron Kinney
Madisonville-North Hopkins '10
Go Maroons!
EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

Results?

1. Dorman A
2. NKC
3rd (tie) Dorman B and MLK

"5th" - Chattahoochee, Dunbar A, James Island, ?

EricLeMaster
Wakka

Post by EricLeMaster »

Deesy Does It wrote:1. Dorman A
2. NKC
3rd (tie) Dorman B and MLK

"5th" - Chattahoochee, Dunbar A, James Island, ?
About how well did Johnson Central do?
I haven't been able to get in contact with teammates, yet. Several of us couldn't go due to ACT testing conflicts. Of course I bet a lot of other schools were affected, too.
AdamL
Lulu

Post by AdamL »

I think the last quarterfinalist was Brookwood. Pretty sure on that.
About how well did Johnson Central do?
We beat Johnson Central in the round of 16.

Congrats to Dorman, NKC, and the rest. Wish we could've watched the finals but we didn't want to get home too late.
Adam Liem
Chattahoochee High '08
Georgia Tech '12
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

The question must have Brookwood, yeah?
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

The question mark in the quarters must have Brookwood, yeah? Also, we had a nice match against Chattahoochee, well played by both teams. There's an interesting spread in the Southeast, I'm looking forward to Brookwood.
hookemhorns10
Lulu

Post by hookemhorns10 »

The last quarterfinalist was indeed Brookwood, who defeated Danville and then proceeded to lose to Dorman A.

The Brookwood Invitational Scholar's Bowl is on November 17th and there is still PLENTY of room available for teams who are interested. Please spread the word.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

We would like to thank everyone for coming out to ABC XXXIV this weekend, and we hope you enjoyed yourselves. We would especially like to thank all of the volunteer readers, both Vandy students and the team-provided readers. Congratulations to Dorman A for defending their varsity title, once again beating North Kansas City in the final, and to Dunbar A for defending their JV title, beating Johnson Central A in the final. Links to the Saturday morning RR results and the playoff brackets can now be found at:

http://studentorgs.vanderbilt.edu/colle ... sults.html

A couple of other notes - I think the varsity divisions ran about as smoothly as ever, while JV seemed to run into some hiccups, somehow getting 1-2 really slow readers for each session. Also, based on our own discussions and at the behest of some coaches' comments, I think we'll likely start the Friday night Swiss pair rounds 1/2 hour or an hour earlier next year to make sure that the kids aren't getting back to hotels too late.

On another note, we announced this at some point, but ABC XXXV will be held either April 5 or 12, depending on when NAQT has their national collegiate tournament.
howlin
Lulu

Post by howlin »

April 12 will cut down on TN schools becuase the state Latin convention is that weekend. And many of your TN teams are also Latin scholars.
I like the idea of starting earlier on Friday, particularly for the little ones.