Worst Match Ever

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Worst Match Ever

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

In this thread, tell us about the match where you played the worst.

My worst personal match was a final in an ACE camp tournament against Dallas Simmons's team. I negged 7 times, and got owned by a large number of points.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

The team I was on managed to score -25 in a 10-question half once.

[EDIT: We manage to turn a 135-25 halftime lead into a 125-110 loss.]
Last edited by STPickrell on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I had a -25 game once, but my team won so it wasn't really that bad.

My most pathetic game was probably at my first college tournament, ACF Fall 2004. I was on Chicago E, and we were playing Michigan A. I got Chicago E's only tossup that game in the following manner: there was a tossup which was clearly about a South American revolutionary leader; Zeke negged with Bolivar, then immediately yelled "Fuck, it's Sucre!". Then at the end I timidly buzzed in with Sucre.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

At NAQT nationals in 2005 I had two horrible verbal typos against Texas that would have been powers if I had said them correctly. Menelaus instead of Meleager and John O'Sullivan instead of John L. Sullivan. I think I had at least three or four correct buzzes, but I of course don't remember what they were. We lost by about forty points and didn't lose any more matches after that, so I basically cost us the top of our division (we ended up in a tie with Texas and Florida with one loss each).
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I was on a good Illinois team (me, Sudheer, A-Train) at ACF Regionals... 2004, I think... that somehow lost to Texas A&M by, like, 600. I believe we failed to get a tossup until 16 or so; we almost had tossup ~9, but Sudheer took his now-famous "This is the... Bolero..." neg on a Ravel tossup.
The bitch of it is, as good as A&M was, I know for a fact that they weren't that much better than us, since we beat them in the playoffs, like, three rounds later. We just played that terribly.

MaS

Edit: Having located the game stats, I can now say that the actual score was only 315-75, but it felt much worse than that...
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

2006 EFT, against Yaphe's team. We were down ~500 to -20, and I think at least 3 negs were mine. I got tossup 20 on "Io", and we got 10 on the bonus to reach 0.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Last Saturday, at Princeton, against you.

Especially when I missed the last part on the 2nd question, therefore not getting the gimme answer.
Last edited by TheCzarMan on Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

2007 EFT (BOSCH) against UMBC A:

yeah, I had 30 points, but this was the worst match I've ever been a part of. Final score: 130-90 them. The teams combined for 130 points on 11 bonuses. Oh and the fact that I knew 3 of the last 5 toss-ups, but got beat on all of them.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Eh, personally? I'm fairly green at this, so I'd have to either say a game against Jefferson or Whitman [which was something like last month]. I think we actually fared better against Jefferson; small consolation, though, considering we lost by something like 600 points.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Our worst match of last year can be heard here as Round 14. Even if we did well, we would have lost to State College A, but we would have felt better about the match if we hadn't called the boat from Moby-Dick the Peapod, or if we just answered the questions that we knew the answer to and buzzed in on.

Several years ago, we went to a tournament that mistakenly used college questions instead of high school questions for a round. After a few questions, we were losing by the approximate score of -10 to -20. They rectified the situation at halftime, and we won the match.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

I buzzed my team out of a semifinal game against Blake in a speed tournament last year.
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Our statistical worst was losing to Gov in the playoffs at HSNCT. However, I don't think that falls into the same kind of category because Gov was so good that they handed our rears to us without much help on my part, and we did manage to power some stuff. The game that was easily the worst from a qualitative point of view was in the Rolla-Fall 2006 finals against Ladue, a notably worse team, where I was ill and negged 7 tossups which were really easy gimmes on the rebounds, so Ladue beat us by like 70 points.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

I'm pretty sure I had a 0/3 game in an ACF packet sometime long ago. More memorable to me was my 25 point contribution in Furman's 295-(-5) loss to Kentucky at ACF Regionals once.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

I've had my fair share. However, the playoff game against Gonzaga this last weekend at Princeton may take the cake. I believe I negged six times, two of which were monumentally stupid. Stuy as a whole negged I believe ten times. Brutal.
Doug
Brandeis '17
catsasslippers
Lulu

Post by catsasslippers »

I beleive we had eleven negs Doug. That being said I think it is the worst game our entire team has ever had.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Douglas, your 2-5 game last year at HFT was pretty memorable too, although your teammates bailed you out. It's the only time I've ever seen the best player on the best team in a tournament go negative for a round. I'm counting on some good negs out of you in three weeks.
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

catsasslippers wrote:I beleive we had eleven negs Doug. That being said I think it is the worst game our entire team has ever had.
I think it was 8 but watever.
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

Gonzagapuma1 wrote:
catsasslippers wrote:I beleive we had eleven negs Doug. That being said I think it is the worst game our entire team has ever had.
I think it was 8 but watever.
Don't bring me down, man!
Doug
Brandeis '17
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

I don't believe I've ever had the misfortune to play on a team that scored in the negatives, so my worst match in recent memory was 2007 ICT in which I went 0-0-2 and got beaten by various Minnesota people on like 5 buzzer races.

Although I've had games where the other team ended up in the negatives, The "Worst Match Ever" I've ever seen anyone else have has to be Erik Nielsen (the Elder)'s infamous "I'm never playing quizbowl again!" game-losing neg to Vanderbilt at the 2005 ICT (up 10 with about 30 seconds to go, noted Graduate Student in English won a buzzer race on Comedy of Errors. only to excitedly yell out "Merchant of Venice!", we lose by 5). Although Steve managed to talk him into playing the rest of the tournament, he stood true to his exclamation and has not been seen at a quizbowl tournament since.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Well, the worst defeat (numerically) I can recall would probably be the 308-75 drubbing one of my Cahokia teams took at the hands of Carlinville in 1999. That was the only losing season I've ever suffered as a coach, and that match epitomized how outgunned we were when playing any competent teams. Having said that, it was difficult to stomach the 302-90 drubbing last year's Barrington Station team took at the hands of the eventual state champs, Daniel Wright. Sure, we knew they were the better team going in, especially with :kenj: Jr. sitting in their captain's chair, but it just never felt like DW was the least bit concerned that they might lose (unlike our previous two, tension-filled, sectional championship matches). It hurt to see us come up so small in a match where we thought we might have a genuine chance of breaking through and puncturing the aura of a team that STILL hasn't lost any match since May 2005, when a certain Rockford Auburn team slapped them down in the IESA State Championship. Maybe Siva & Co. is :kenj: Jr's kryptonite!
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saiem
Wakka

Post by Saiem »

At a somewhat recent tournament, at the Florida State championship for NAQT, there was a huge disparity in the field. There were three to five obviously good teams, and then 2 dozen or so terrible teams. Rickards sent a 2 person team (consisting of myself and our best player). At the beginning of the day, our best player decided he wanted to get 30 negs by the end of the tournament (about 6-7 rounds). We also decided to try to win by the smallest margin possible.

In one particular round, we were playing Plant City D, consisting of what I assume were very green freshmen. We played nice to them, since they were buzzer shy. We pretended to get alot of things wrong intentionally.

Who painted the mona lisa? uhh... leonardo crazinsky? I think thats what his name was?

Going into the final tossup the score was about 10 to -10 in their favor. We got the last tossup and thirtied the bonus to get the win 30 to 10.

Whats worse is that since the moderators were all college students that we used to hang out with.. they were definitely playing along pretty well. Great tournament. We ended up third, so I can't really complain.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

cvdwightw wrote:Although I've had games where the other team ended up in the negatives, The "Worst Match Ever" I've ever seen anyone else have has to be Erik Nielsen (the Elder)'s infamous "I'm never playing quizbowl again!" game-losing neg to Vanderbilt at the 2005 ICT (up 10 with about 30 seconds to go, noted Graduate Student in English won a buzzer race on Comedy of Errors. only to excitedly yell out "Merchant of Venice!", we lose by 5). Although Steve managed to talk him into playing the rest of the tournament, he stood true to his exclamation and has not been seen at a quizbowl tournament since.
Ah yes, I remember that one. We had no business being in the second playoff bracket that year, but wound up there thanks to that neg, and then Harvard having perhaps their worst match of the tournament against us.

As for my own worst game, twice I have individually finished at -15 for a round. I think both were 0/0/3 at NAQT SCT. For team losses, I think the only time I've ever been shut out was Penn Bowl '03(?) to Michigan featuring Zeke, Kemezis, et.al.
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Post by Stephen Colbert »

This series of “worst matches everâ€
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

[quote="Stephen Colbert"] we would eventually lose on the last question when the moderator wouldn’t accept my answer of “(x – 11)(x – 11)â€
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

SaiemGilani wrote: In one particular round, we were playing Plant City D, consisting of what I assume were very green freshmen. We played nice to them, since they were buzzer shy. We pretended to get alot of things wrong intentionally.

Who painted the mona lisa? uhh... leonardo crazinsky? I think thats what his name was?

Going into the final tossup the score was about 10 to -10 in their favor. We got the last tossup and thirtied the bonus to get the win 30 to 10.
First off, you're stupid, and second off, it seems like you're exaggerating this story a lot, assuming this is the tournament you're speaking of:
http://www.geocities.com/tvitello/FLNAQ ... il.html#t6
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

wd4gdz wrote:
SaiemGilani wrote: In one particular round, we were playing Plant City D, consisting of what I assume were very green freshmen. We played nice to them, since they were buzzer shy. We pretended to get alot of things wrong intentionally.

First off, you're stupid, and second off, it seems like you're exaggerating this story a lot, assuming this is the tournament you're speaking of:
http://www.geocities.com/tvitello/FLNAQ ... il.html#t6
Remember kids, don't make up retarded stories if what you're saying can be proven completely wrong!
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

As far as individual worst games, I think I was 0/1 in at least one round of ACF Nats last year. I just tried to go corroborate that, but the stats are apparently not on Vandy's site anymore, nor are they on the ACF site. I tend not to do any worse than that since I'm a bit buzzer shy on hard questions.

Most Tennessee HS tournaments didn't have negs, and the questions were so easy I don't think I ever finished at zero, but the worst experience I had playing was in a playoff game against Webb at a Cookeville tournament. We were the number one seed. There had been no biology questions for two previous rounds, so I told the coach we were due for bio, and our really good bio player should play that round. Thirty minutes later, we'd lost after both teams sat there blankly through three bio tossups and two bio bonuses, by a margin of 50 points, after I'd also had a crappy game being distracted by the idiocy of my coach.

DeisEvan wrote:after I'd also had a crappy game being distracted by the idiocy of my coach.
Do tell.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

My worst loss (Ward Melville) was something like 600-90 against Stuyvesent A at LIFT VI. We got completely obliterated, but combined the two teams answered all 20 questions. They were powering every other question! This year, I hope we can narrow the margin to about a 450-200 loss!

When I played the worst was probably tryouts 2 years ago. I negged 16 questions, only getting 1 right. Luckily, the coach drops our worst two rounds when determining the teams.
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

Deesy Does It wrote:
DeisEvan wrote:after I'd also had a crappy game being distracted by the idiocy of my coach.
Do tell.
Stupid stuff. She got a phone call in that match, and took it, staying in the room for like 15 seconds talking during a tossup before she got up and left, making a ton of noise in the process. She never had a clue what was going on, nor did she seem to care. I certainly hope she's not still running the club, but I haven't been in contact with anyone associated with the club since I graduated in 2004. Also, on an unrelated note, the laptop computer we won as a prize for winning the public television tournament became her personal machine, unavailable to those responsible for the victory.

Moral of the story: the fact that your coach is an authority figure does not make all or any of his or her actions right.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Another of my most neg-tastic matches was at ACF Fall 2005, where I had five negs in one game against Michigan B, and we lost in overtime when I lost a buzzer race. I tried to find the stats to confirm this, but couldn't find them. Anyone know where they are?
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Speaking of idiocy and people in positions of authority, I submit the following tales from the Mahoning County League...

3 years ago, I received a complaint from a coach after the team that had beaten them played "Another One Bites the Dust" as they were leaving to catch their bus.

Last season, I had to nullify results of one game because it was explained to me that the coach was repeating tossups. NAQT tossups. Particularly the math ones.

Two years ago, there were accusations of sign language being use to communicate answers between the A team on stage and the B team in the seats.

I was told by a coach after a match that there were too many African questions. She didn't say African.

The same coach as above pulled her team out of a tournament two rounds before completion because they had been mathematically eliminated from the championship. She cited weather as the reason. The teams from the three nearest neighboring districts stayed the entire time.

Also, there was a tournament in a county near where I lived that I attended as an observer that used some of the sample NAQT questions from the website. That was interesting.
howlin
Lulu

Post by howlin »

Last month I made a moderator cry when I asked her to quit counting down the time on the bonus questions out loud. Also, instead of "Answer, please", she usually bellows "SPEEEEEEEEEEEAK!" Another time when we had to stay in the room until released after a round when my JV team had just been clobbered by about 350 points, the coach of the winning team began to scream at her team for the way they played. (Now keep in mind that this was JV and they had just won by a considerable number of points.) When she finally wound down and left the room, I just said to mine, "See, there is something worse than losing."
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

My first college tournament, Terrapin Invitational 2004, I captained a UNC B team consisting of me, another freshman, and a sophomore. This was, incidentally, the fourth mACF tournament I had attended in my quiz bowl career.

Among the highlights in our ensuing 0-13 marathon were two games along the lines of 670-10 and 450-(-15) with Princeton and, I want to say, Swarthmore. Whee.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

howlin wrote:Also, instead of "Answer, please", she usually bellows "SPEEEEEEEEEEEAK!"
I'm totally going to start doing this.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

howlin wrote:Also, instead of "Answer, please", she usually bellows "SPEEEEEEEEEEEAK!"
Tremendous. I mean, holy hell that's great.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

MahoningQuizBowler wrote:Speaking of idiocy and people in positions of authority, I submit the following tales from the Mahoning County League...

3 years ago, I received a complaint from a coach after the team that had beaten them played "Another One Bites the Dust" as they were leaving to catch their bus.
We had a girls basketball team try this (similar to what the Chicago Bulls did after wins). He did it once. He was told by the principal that the next time that song was played, would be the last game he ever coached. The practic ended promptly.
Two years ago, there were accusations of sign language being use to communicate answers between the A team on stage and the B team in the seats.
So.... the A team has to rely on the B team? .... must be a pretty good B team!
I was told by a coach after a match that there were too many African questions. She didn't say African.

The same coach as above pulled her team out of a tournament two rounds before completion because they had been mathematically eliminated from the championship. She cited weather as the reason. The teams from the three nearest neighboring districts stayed the entire time.

This coach would be instantly banned from any tournament I ran for #1 ... not to mention an appropriate report of said activity to the administrator of both schools. #2 ... same-same
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

MahoningQuizBowler wrote:Speaking of idiocy and people in positions of authority, I submit the following tales from the Mahoning County League...

Last season, I had to nullify results of one game because it was explained to me that the coach was repeating tossups. NAQT tossups. Particularly the math ones.

Also, there was a tournament in a county near where I lived that I attended as an observer that used some of the sample NAQT questions from the website. That was interesting.
These stories really make me wonder sometimes how you manage to make it doing quiz bowl in Mahoning County, Ohio! I'm pretty much speechless in response to this.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
howlin
Lulu

Post by howlin »

grapesmoker wrote:
I'm totally going to start doing this.
Then I would have to make you cry as well. And I am totally capable of it.
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

Jerry? Cry? The notion is laughable; his tears would be made of vodka anyway. More likely Jerry will make the rest of us collegiate players in New England cry.

I know that I saw a small tear forming in Jerry's eye when we all sang the Ukranian national anthem before the CO awards ceremony.

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

howlin wrote:Then I would have to make you cry as well. And I am totally capable of it.
I find this highly unlikely.
I know that I saw a small tear forming in Jerry's eye when we all sang the Ukranian national anthem before the CO awards ceremony.
A tear of RAGE
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Byko wrote:

These stories really make me wonder sometimes how you manage to make it doing quiz bowl in Mahoning County, Ohio! I'm pretty much speechless in response to this.
There are many positive stories, but those wouldn't work in this thread.

As far as submitting a complaint to the administrators, I would have...if I didn't have to go through the County educational service center first. They were supposed to contact the appropriate party.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

I had 6 negs against Seton Hall Prep at Yale in 2006 in a game where we got pounded. We ended up getting revenge a few rounds later by knocking them off in the semifinals, although the score was closer.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

My worst tournament ever by far was Sword Bowl 2007 at Drake, where I managed to lead our team in scoring with 13 PPG. The worst game in that tournament would be a tossup among Carletons B & C or Minnesota B, where we lost 345-20, 385-20, and 480-45, respectively.
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09
fluffy4102
Wakka

Post by fluffy4102 »

NAQT Nats 2007

At least 5 negs... That cost us the game and the playoffs...
Zach Yeung
St. John's '08
Rice University '12
Biochemistry and Cell Biology and Political Science