RESULTS: Earlybird 2007 (10/13/2007) at UIUC

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
millionwaves
Auron

RESULTS: Earlybird 2007 (10/13/2007) at UIUC

Post by millionwaves »

The University of Illinois Academic Buzzer Team is pleased to make the preliminary announcement for the next installment in its Earlybird series of tournaments, to be held October 13, 2007, at the Urbana-Champaign campus. Fees and exact location are yet to be determined, although it is very likely that they will remain the same as last year; when more information becomes available, it will be posted here. Any questions and/or early registrations can be e-mailed to [email protected]. I will respond as soon as possible with the relevant information. The tournament will follow the same format as last year's installment; I've copied and pasted it below for your convenience.

[quote]
Match Format and Rules:

The match format will be the same as last year’s and is unique to the UIUC Earlybird. It is commonly described as an admixture of the IHSA and ACF formats. Rounds consist of 20 tossup questions and up to 20 bonus questions, a halftime of up to two minutes after question 10 but before question 11, and as many tiebreaker tossups as are necessary to change the score should it be tied after question 20.
Each team is allotted one one-minute timeout per game; this may be called by any playing member of a team or by any of its coaches during any natural pause. Requests for timeout at other times will be treated as extraneous talking and, in particular, timeout will not be granted. Quiz bowl competition will occur between two teams of up to four players, one of whom on each team is designated to serve as captain. Unlimited substitution is allowed at halftime or during either team’s timeout. Rounds are un-timed.

Tossups are read to both teams simultaneously. Each team may make up to one try at a tossup. To attempt to answer a tossup for a team, a player on that team must buzz. Once the buzzer system indicates that a player has buzzed, that player has five seconds to give an answer. Failure to provide a correct answer within five seconds constitutes an incorrect response in all cases. Unless otherwise specified, if a question has not been answered correctly five seconds after the moderator has completed it, that question is ruled dead.
A correct response to a tossup question earns the respondent's team 10 points and control of a subsequent bonus question, while an initial incorrect response offered before the end of a tossup question costs the respondent's team 5 points, which is referred to as an "interrupt" or "neg." Only one neg is available per question so, if a team has negged a question, no penalty can be assessed to the opposing team regardless of the location or correctitude of their answer.
Verbal communication is not allowed on tossups. Any talking or other verbal (spoken, written, signed, etc.) communication during a tossup by a player who has not validly buzzed in will be considered to constitute an incorrect response by that player with the proper penalty assessed. It may also be considered cheating.

Bonus questions are questions in several parts, to each of which a team may respond. Bonuses are all worth a total of 30 points and each part of a bonus will have an announced associated point value which will be obtained by a team that correctly answers that part. During a bonus question, verbal communication among playing members of a team is allowed, though communication regarding the answers with non-players is always strictly forbidden and will generally be considered cheating.
When a tossup question is answered, the moderator will begin a bonus with a brief introductory portion, then read the first part of the bonus. A period of time (five seconds unless otherwise specified) after having finished reading part of a bonus, the moderator will prompt the captain of the team with control of that bonus for an answer. The captain may, at this time, either answer for the team or designate a member of the team to answer and must do so within a second of being prompted. If the answer thus obtained is incorrect, the moderator will request an answer of the other team’s captain; this must be provided immediately in the same fashion. The captain of the team that controls the bonus may opt to provide an answer at any point during a bonus part; such an answer is just the same as an answer provided after a moderator prompt. Conversely, the team that does not control the bonus may only answer after being prompted by the moderator. In the event that the controlling team chooses to answer before a prompt and is incorrect, the moderator will prompt the non-controlling team, the captain of which must respond immediately.
Once all applicable parties have had a chance to answer, the moderator will either read the subsequent part of the bonus or, if the part just read was the last part, announce the answers to each part and the points obtained by each side.

Moderators have full authority regarding all rules and the fitness of answers in the scope of the match. A moderator’s ruling is binding and final during the match. Teams may air grievances with questions or procedural issues in the match and attempt to obtain redress by issuing protests. Issuing a protest is done verbally to the moderator by any member or coach of either team simply at any natural pause in the match, including between questions, halftime, or during a timeout. Protests with a bearing on the outcome of a match will be adjudicated by a protest committee including the tournament director; protest without bearing will be heard, considered and discussed by the same committee and will be acted on as appropriate. Protests must be announced during or immediately after the match in which the problem at issue took place to be considered; protests outside this timeframe will still be heard, but will not change the outcome of a match.
Frivolous protests are ill-advised and will probably be construed as insulting by the tournament staff, director, and other teams; as such, they are discouraged in the strongest terms. Conversely, teams are strongly encouraged to discuss any issues they may have with the moderator or tournament director and to issue as many legitimate protests as are necessary to cause examination and redress of any issues.
Cheating will be dealt with severely and may result in such consequences as forfeiture of the match in which cheating occurred and disqualification of the offending player(s). Please do not cheat.

As you can see, this is broadly similar to IHSA-style events, except for the inclusion of negs, the fact that teams will consist of four players rather than five, the use of 20 questions per round, the valuation of bonus questions at 30 rather than 20 points, the fact that bonuses are answered and bounce back part-by-part rather than all at once, and some minor timing and procedural issues.

Tournament Format:

The tournament format will be determined by the number of teams registering, but will be structured to provide a clear, unambiguous order of finish for each team and to maximize the number of rounds that each team is able to play and the number of different teams that each team is able to play. In the past, this tournament has used a full round robin format with a secondary playoff structure.

Questions:

The questions for the UIUC Earlybird 2006 are being produced in-house by the UIUC ABT. Questions will be written by the members of the UIUC ABT and edited by experienced question editors (chief editor Steven Canning) The difficulty and tenor of the questions will be similar to that of NAQT's series of high school ("IS") sets and PACE “stretch roundâ€
Last edited by millionwaves on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Were you named after Trygve Lie, or is that a common Norwegian name?
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

I've lived in Illinois all my life; my name comes from my Great-Grandfather, who did indeed immigrate from Norway, although to my knowledge, the name "Trygve" isn't common there these days. Although, Trygve Lie wouldn't be a bad person to be named for...
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

Hello again, everyone.

The price for Earlybird has been determined:

Base fee: $60

Each subsequent team from the same school: $50

As normal, we offer a discount for bringing buzzers; for each working buzzer set, $5 will be deducted from the total cost for the school, limited to $10, although if you'd like to bring more than 2 sets, you'll earn our eternal gratitude.

If you'd like to purchase a copy of the set, they'll be available for the low price of $20. Also, if you'd like to purchase last year's set for practice purposes, those are yet available, most likely at a discounted rate. Please e-mail me if you're interested.

With the IHSA's recent decision, we're aware that teams must choose which tournaments they attend carefully. When constructing your schedule, please remember that this tournament has consistently proven to be of high quality for a reasonable price.

Although the tournament is a few months away yet, I'd like to encourage any team planning on coming to e-mail me stating their interest, and if possible, the number of teams and buzzer sets that they would most likely bring. While this is in no way necessary or a condition of playing, it will give us an early indication of what to expect. Again, my e-mail address is [email protected] (tmeade2 at uiuc dot edu).

Looking forward to seeing many of you in October,
Trygve Meade
Tournament Director
UIUC Earlybird 2007
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Loyola tentatively plans to attend.
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

Nevermind, I'm stupid. I thought I clicked on the college announcements instead of the high school ones.
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

Hello again, everyone.

Now that we're a little closer to the tournament, I am now officially soliciting the registrations of interested parties.

So far, seven teams have e-mailed me expressing interest. (To those who have, thank you.) I'm looking at capping the field at 24, so I'd encourage you all to register, but if I get an influx of interest and willing (and competent) freshmen to moderate, I'll be more than happy to adjust that upward.

I can be reached by e-mail at [email protected]. I'm hoping to get lots of registrations soon, and I'm looking forward to seeing many of you in October.

Trygve Meade
Tournament Director
Earlybird 2007
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

Hello again, all.

With a little less than a month to go, here's the field so far. The following schools have committed to bringing at least one team, and I believe several are bringing two.

Auburn
Bloomington
Carbondale
Detroit Catholic Central
Loyola
New Trier
Saint Ignatius
Univeristy High School

We only have eleven more spots open, so if you're interested, please register soon!

Thank you,
Trygve Meade
Tournament Director, Earlybird 2007
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

(reiterating my recent email)

The IHSA (fill in the blank) is also that weekend and virtually all of the motels are booked...those of us from up north might have to go south to find motel rooms.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

And...

the motels in Tuscola an environs are booked because of the Covered Bridge Festival.

We'll keep trying. . .
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

Hey, a very slight update.

For those interested, this tournament will now serve as an official qualifier for the PACE NSC.

Trygve Meade
Tournament Director, Earlybird 2007
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Trygve--My emails to you keep bouncing back as undeliverable. So....would you be willing to have your NAQT tournament in February as the state qualifier? That would solve both of our problems!

David
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

NKC will probably be attending.

EDIT- it's not "probably" anymore.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Great! We need some new blood around here!

Field update?
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

Deesy Does It wrote:Field update?
It would be my pleasure.

There will be eleven teams competing on Saturday in a full round robin.

They are:

Carbondale
Bloomington
IMSA
Saint Ignatius
University High (Normal)
North Kansas City
Detroit Catholic Central A
Detroit Catholic Central B
Loyola
Rockford Auburn
New Trier

Best of luck to all teams; we'll see you there on Saturday.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

After a couple of last day drops, a field of nine very skillful teams competed yesterday in UIUC's Earlybird 2007.

Results:

1st - Detroit Catholic Central A

2nd - North Kansas City

3rd - New Trier

4th - Rockford Auburn

I'd really like to thank Steven Canning, who did a fine job coordinating the editing, Brad and Kristin, who came down to read, Donald Taylor, who wrote and edited and was an eminently able statistician, and James Sanner, Greg Baboukis, Mike Sorice, Sulee Cao, Mark Messner, Micah Hodosh, and Alan Cherney, who wrote and edited questions and came to help read or score. I'd also like to thank the members of our team, current and former, who wrote us questions but weren't able to be there yesterday. I'd also be remiss if I didn't thank the coaches and players who came to enjoy and compete.

The full stats are up and functional now.
Last edited by millionwaves on Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Overall stats (minus the finals) can be found here.
The scores (including finals) can be found here.

A small note: The bonus stats here including points from bonuses obtained off of bouncebacks.

Also, for reference: DCC A won the first game of an advantaged final, and New Trier won a one-game playoff for 3rd.

EDIT: Fixed wrong link to overall stats.

After having to further edit this, I have grown to dislike NetFiles.
Last edited by dtaylor4 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

DaGeneral wrote:Overall stats (minus the finals) can be found here.
The scoreboard (including finals) can be found here.

A small note: The bonus stats here including points from bonuses obtained off of bouncebacks.

Also, for reference: DCC A won the first game of an advantaged final, and New Trier won a one-game playoff for 3rd.
You do not have permission to view this resource.

The Operation Failed on '/dtaylor4/2007 Earlybird'.

You are not currently authenticated.
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09

So, lots of thanks to a well done tournament. The questions were really challenging and deep (which can both help or hurt me, depending on the subjects). The only problems I had were - 1) that a couple repeats came up, and at least 1 factual error (saying that Wright wrote Invisible Man). However, the tournament officials caught most of the problems before games and made sure all of the readers replaced the questions. 2) There was a lot of downtime, some of which had to do with Trygve going around to the different rooms to give instructions, I think. There were even some times when there were long pauses in games, like during the Wright/Ellison problem. But I'm more willing to take the pauses since some of them were used to correct errors. 3) teams dropping or leaving early. (I know this has nothing to do with the tournament directors.) Come on people, UIUC is giving a pretty awesome early season chance to play 9 or 10 games against some decent-to-good teams from a lot of different places on great questions. Who wouldn't want that? I mean, a lot of teams dropped at the last minute, which really messes with a TD and I would say negatively affects everyone else going. Also, I'll be blunt, the Normal U. High School coach, instead of complaining that her team needs to stay past lunch for the tournament, should actually take advantage of the guaranteed 9 games. Of course, I'm biased because we were the only team that didn't get all of our games in from them "needing to leave" 20 minutes early. Also, another coach told us that the Normal coach made a deal about not wanting to play Bloomington this early in the year, which made absolutely no sense to me at all. OK, I'll stop with that thought.

DCC was good as they always seem to be. They deserve congratulations for winning both of our games against them. But both of those games were really close and could have ended up differently if some bonuses or tossups had been moved around. Personally, it seemed to me like we got more hard bonuses then DCC in both of the games, and there were a lot of dead points on them after the rebounds. This is nobody's fault, its just kind of unlucky for us and lucky for DCC. It would have also been nice to have another teammate, especially one that's practiced this fall :sad: but oh well. I'd like a copy of the scoresheets from those 2 games, personally.

Many thanks to everyone who did come for making an enjoyable tournament that was worth coming out to. I had a great time.

EDIT-- Brandon, not Grant, got the neg against DCC B. Minor stat error.

millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

Deesy Does It wrote:Of course, I'm biased because we were the only team that didn't get all of our games in from them "needing to leave" 20 minutes early.
Actually, this was pretty legit, and something I knew about ahead of time. Had I been thinking, I would have switched a couple of the rounds around to have their bye/optional house team game as their last round, and then no one would have been affected by their departure. I do apologize to NKC for that; I'll know better for the next tournament that I try to run.

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate Detroit Catholic Central A and North Kansas City. As the top two teams in our PACE affiliated tournament, they receive bids to the PACE NSC. I wish them the best of luck for the rest of their season and for their trip to the NSC.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

Will Run PACE for Reese's wrote:Reminder for TD: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4358
Done; sorry!
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

'salright... it's just my way of telling everyone... don't forget to post your results.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)