Southern California 2007-08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ntan
Lulu

Southern California 2007-08

Post by ntan »

After reading a couple of the preseason prediction threads, I noticed that there was a Southern California thread in the comparisons forum. Given the dearth of information most posters have about the Southern California Quizbowl (the circuit here is actually very isolated. I don't think any team outside San Diego, LA, and Orange county has attended a tournament other than St. Andrews Epsicopal), so for those of you who are interested in our region, I'll just rank the best teams in my region and see how things pan out regionally and at HSNCT. I think it really is a pity that socal teams, in contrast to lots of the top teams in the East, almost never play against teams from other states.

Fred's Post-National Poll has Santa Monica ranked 17th and the only other SoCal teams receiving votes are Torrey Pines and Rancho Bernado

Byko's rankings had Santa Monica ranked first in SoCal, followed by Arcadia, Rancho Bernado and Torrey Pines

My Ranking:
1) Santa Monica A (they've had the top team for a couple years now and always seem to produce excellent teams)
2) Rancho Bernado A (Jeffrey is probably the best player in the region and i believe they are returning quite a few members)
3) Arcadia A (we graduated 3 members of our regular team A, but I think we have a pretty strong group of juniors, most of who have nationals exprience)
4) Torrey Pines (I believe they graduated most of their team A, including Brian who was their best player)
5) Santa Monica B
6) Edison A (this team will probably be last year's team B, which is why i think Santa Monica has the edge over them)
7) San Dieguito A

so here are my rankings, and I hope to see other posters provide input as well.

the first tournament in our region is on Oct 7th
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I guess I'm stating the obvious here, but it seems to me like SoCal is the oddest enclave of somewhat good quizbowl that I've ever seen, simply because there is quite literally nothing remotely nearby that is good. The closest team to California that made NAQT's top 20 was (I believe) NKC, which is half a country + lots of mountains and plains away. Other then the occasional anomaly team (well, all I can think of is Lakeside 05) there is nothing else good in the whole western US. So unlike some other locations where there is certainly good competition, I find it a strong accomplishment that SoCal can produce a good team at all, much less a few that make NAQT's playoffs, one of which was very good. So kudos.

I dunno, I had something that I was actually gonna say in there but lost track by the end, but I don't feel like typing all that and deleting it, so whatever. It's late.

--EDIT--
THE LINES BOTHER ME
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:The closest team to California that made NAQT's top 20 was (I believe) NKC, which is half a country + lots of mountains and plains away.
Yeah, Santa Monica tied for 8th.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
QB-dinosaur
Lulu

Post by QB-dinosaur »

The team that surprised me the most last year was University (Irvine). It has quite a gene pool to draw from, but it hasn't been active in quiz bowl until they got a coach last year.

I wonder how magnet schools like Whitney and Oxford will fare in quiz bowl. All my previous attempts at contacting those schools have been futile.

One observation of SoCal teams is that each team has at least one player who is frighteningly good at calculation tossups. And most good teams are also very good at science.
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

QB-dinosaur wrote:The team that surprised me the most last year was University (Irvine). It has quite a gene pool to draw from, but it hasn't been active in quiz bowl until they got a coach last year.

I wonder how magnet schools like Whitney and Oxford will fare in quiz bowl. All my previous attempts at contacting those schools have been futile.
There's a tremendous pool of (potential) talent amongst the private schools in the San Fernando Valley. Just among students I've tutored in the past year, one could put together several teams that would start with a very strong knowledge base. But near as I can tell, there's no semblance of qb involvement at any of those schools -- kind of a shame, since they'd certainly have both student interest and ample funding.

--Raj Dhuwalia
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05
ntan
Lulu

Post by ntan »

QB-dinosaur wrote:And most good teams are also very good at science.
i actually find this to be true to some extent. i think that one of the reasons is that many is that many teams tend to focus on science bowl and ocean sciences bowl and science oly and quizbowl, to some extent is ignored. i find that this might also be a reason why the region isnt as competitive as it could be. our team used to know a couple members of troy's sci bowl team, and they were actually totally unaware about quizbowl when we asked them about it. it's pretty strange given the size of California, that we aren't sending more teams to hsnct. just within an hour or two from Los Angeles, there are potentially good teams such as North Hollywood High, which placed Second at Sci bowl nationals 2 years ago, and Troy, which is a national sci oly power. i think north hollywood and troy could actually field competitive teams if they wanted. hopefully these and some others teams will start to compete too.

DrakeRQB wrote:
charlieDfromNKC wrote:The closest team to California that made NAQT's top 20 was (I believe) NKC, which is half a country + lots of mountains and plains away.
Yeah, Santa Monica tied for 8th.
Yeah I noticed. What I'm saying is that noone inbetween California and North KC got the top 20.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

North Hollywood had a team way back in like 2001, don't know what happened to it. Troy did attend a tournament in 2006, but they were all seniors and I'm not sure there was anyone to continue the program. In 2003 San Dieguito held a tournament to introduce schools in their league to NAQT-style quizbowl. Unfortunately, they made the mistake of inviting us (Capo Valley) and Dana Hills, who pretty much destroyed the field. I apologize for whatever I might have done to prevent more teams from that area from joining back then, as that seems to be yet another untapped source of potential "really good teams".

Santa Monica will be the class of the region again, followed somewhat closely by Rancho Bernardo. After that I think it's going to be a battle between Arcadia, Edison, and Torrey, each of which have to replace significant players.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:Other then the occasional anomaly team (well, all I can think of is Lakeside 05) there is nothing else good in the whole western US.
Mission San Jose '05.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Kyle wrote:
charlieDfromNKC wrote:Other then the occasional anomaly team (well, all I can think of is Lakeside 05) there is nothing else good in the whole western US.
Mission San Jose '05.
Santa Monica '06

(Edit: Actually never mind, now that I read Charlie's post again I see what he's saying, BESIDES Cal no one in the west ever does anything, stupid post, my bad.)
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

It really is a shame that SoCal quizbowl only has a few enthusiasts. I wonder if any Bay area teams are willing to compete in the lower areas? Any teams close to Las Vegas maybe?

Perhaps if we allowed people to join quizbowl from Mexico... =D

Troy is a powerhouse at SciOly.

Quizbowl at Rancho Bernardo is mainly student organized. Well, the NAQT tournaments anyways. We are quite fervent about AL.

We are pretty dedicated to science olympiad as well, although we've never managed to achieve the same amount of accomplishment as we did in quizbowl. RB didn't even make state last year.

Perhaps there will be some random ownage team like St. Andrews this year at UCLA....one can only hope. :neutral:
Last edited by ihavenoidea on Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ntan
Lulu

Post by ntan »

a couple guys and i were actually thinking, half-jokingly, albiet somewhat seriously about going to play at the northern california state championships (if we mustered the money to make the trip there). we then saw that they were using the same packets as our local souther california championship, so we dismissed such fantasties
laisselapluie
Kimahri

Post by laisselapluie »

I would think that a major part of having a good team would be to have a coach. There are some other pretty amazing schools in the socal region which don't have coaches for NAQT and so have never really had anyone lobbying for quizbowl participation.

Rancho Bernardo is an exception of course. The quizbowl program there isn't just mainly student run, it is completely student run. I believe they are also one of the few teams without a "computation" person. Regardless, they've done well, thanks to that Jeffrey character, and now with teams that have two-three years of experience, they should be able to put up a good fight against Santa Monica.

My impression of California is that Science Olympiad takes precedence over just about everything else. That eats up so much of their time it leaves little room for much else.
ntan
Lulu

Post by ntan »

yea, quizbowl at arcadia is pretty much student run, which, strangely enough, is largely true for most of our academic team
QB-dinosaur
Lulu

Post by QB-dinosaur »

Actually, it's Academic Decathlon. At some schools, it's the same coach for both. At other schools, different coaches fight over the same kids for practice time.

The local TV stations aren't helping, either. I've tried for years to get TV news coverage on quiz bowl events, but all you see are segments on Academic Decathlon kids' "bringing home the national championship." One TV station even carries the Superquiz portion of AcaDec. :sad:
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Generally, I think teams in the area that do well at one academic competition tend to make that their main focus. Outside of Santa Monica, there aren't many teams that are highly competitive at multiple competitions.

However, although Academic Decathlon gets all the hype, I think Science Olympiad takes more time. Unless something has changed drastically since I did AcDec/Quizbowl/Science Olympiad (okay, only 2 years of Science Olympiad before the program shut down), Academic Decathlon ends for almost everyone at the beginning of February, and Science Olympiad ends for many schools in early to mid March. I'm pretty sure Academic Decathlon packets don't come out until after mid-May, likely mid-June; I have no idea on Science Olympiad. That leaves three solid months when Academic Decathlon is practically on shutdown for juniors/seniors. I mean, what do those kids do during that time? At least there's an excuse with Science Olympiad; I don't think they don't change the events all that much from year to year, so if you want to work on next year starting the day after the competition, you can (unless your event gets cut). But all you can really do until Academic Decathlon releases their materials is speculate based on the theme (assuming even that's known that far in advance).

Anyone with better actual information about the relative timetables for Academic Decathlon, Science Olympiad, and Quizbowl is encouraged to post. I apologize in advance for the thread hijack.
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

I think one surprise team in the SoCal region could be La Jolla.
They did well at the tournament Arcadia Hosted, and they were not bad at all at UCI's CBCT. I don't know how many players they graduated, but they are bringing three teams to UCLA's TWAIN this weekend.
jready
Lulu

Post by jready »

Hi, new to the boards.
I go to La Jolla, and I have high hopes this year. Although we lost last year's captain, we're returning a few of our other top scorers from last year. I know Santa Monica, Rancho Bernardo, and some other teams will definitely be tough, but I have high hopes for the team this year, and we'll get our first test at UCLA on Sunday.
mcalmvp
Lulu

Post by mcalmvp »

The last couple years with the rise of San Diego teams (esp. North County teams) has been astounding, in my opinion. It used to be, as I recall, a few San Diego teams that played on the high school NAQT circuit (I think it's partially due to the different format of San Diego county quizbowl questions compared to NAQT questions). Now there is an explosion.

As a native of San Diego..I've known that San Diego has had pretty good teams for years..just none of them seemed to go to NAQT much. (esp. my school, Mt. Carmel) I'm actually pretty pleased with the amount of San Diego teams...though I still wish there were more (like NCAL North Division powerhouse RBV or my high school Mt. Carmel...maybe even Westview).

Now with predictions...I'm going with RB A. RB has pretty much run the top of the NCAL Inland division after 2005 (after pretty much 4 years of Mt. Carmel dominance...and if you know anything about NCAL [North County Academic League]...I'd arguably say that the Inland division is best division)
mcalmvp
Lulu

Post by mcalmvp »

cvdwightw wrote:Generally, I think teams in the area that do well at one academic competition tend to make that their main focus. Outside of Santa Monica, there aren't many teams that are highly competitive at multiple competitions.

However, although Academic Decathlon gets all the hype, I think Science Olympiad takes more time. Unless something has changed drastically since I did AcDec/Quizbowl/Science Olympiad (okay, only 2 years of Science Olympiad before the program shut down), Academic Decathlon ends for almost everyone at the beginning of February, and Science Olympiad ends for many schools in early to mid March. I'm pretty sure Academic Decathlon packets don't come out until after mid-May, likely mid-June; I have no idea on Science Olympiad. That leaves three solid months when Academic Decathlon is practically on shutdown for juniors/seniors. I mean, what do those kids do during that time? At least there's an excuse with Science Olympiad; I don't think they don't change the events all that much from year to year, so if you want to work on next year starting the day after the competition, you can (unless your event gets cut). But all you can really do until Academic Decathlon releases their materials is speculate based on the theme (assuming even that's known that far in advance).

Anyone with better actual information about the relative timetables for Academic Decathlon, Science Olympiad, and Quizbowl is encouraged to post. I apologize in advance for the thread hijack.
As far as I recall (granted this was as of two years ago)...Science Olympiad regionals are about early-mid February. "State" (or in this case, Southern California..which Troy almost always wins..they should give them an auto anyways and let other SoCal teams get the spot) is early April/late March and Nationals are in late April.

Science Olympiad takes far more time, especially on building events...so I'm agreeing with Dwight here (I probably spent twice as much time on Science Oly practices than quizbowl) For science olympiad...some events don't exactly "change", but rotate..like Fossils and Rocks and Minerals.

As for other schools that are competitive in multiple competitions...one is Torrey Pines. They are a regional/state science oly powerhouse and fairly competitive in quizbowl (in the NAQT sense and in the San Diego county Academic League sense)
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

Wow i didnt realize Mt Carmel posted on this board! hurray for inland division!

It would be great if Westview or Mt Carmel started an naqt group. I think NCAL would benefit a lot from that. Perhaps you guys could think about going to UCI or USC?

Based on the performance from TWAIN, it appears Santa monica is a league above everyone else. how in the world RB B beat them, i have no clue....
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

ihavenoidea wrote:Wow i didnt realize Mt Carmel posted on this board! hurray for inland division!
I think it's actually a Mt Carmel alum. But yeah, it looks like more and more teams are coming up from San Diego to challenge the traditional LA/Orange County teams, which is a good thing.
mcalmvp
Lulu

Post by mcalmvp »

ihavenoidea wrote:Wow i didnt realize Mt Carmel posted on this board! hurray for inland division!

It would be great if Westview or Mt Carmel started an naqt group. I think NCAL would benefit a lot from that. Perhaps you guys could think about going to UCI or USC?

Based on the performance from TWAIN, it appears Santa monica is a league above everyone else. how in the world RB B beat them, i have no clue....
As Dwight said...MC Alum here (but believe me..if I would have known all this stuff..I would have started pushing MC 3-4 years ago). That said, I'm actively trying to push MC into going. They almost went to Baby Anteater last year except for the fact that 1/2 the team was in band and that was the starting weekend for the annual "band trip." I'll see what I can do about Westview (I wonder if Lafferty is still coaching any of their teams)

Question to RBers here though...how does your NAQT work in conjunction with regular AL practice as well as how do you create teams and all for NAQT through that? I'm trying to figure out a plan that's different from just "send 4+ of the varsity team here..it'd be kick-ass!" As you no doubt know...format of NAQT questions are different than AL questions (well along with differences in how many members constitute a team..and scoring.but those are a bit minor). Do you guys mix regular AL practice questions with NAQT questions or?

Oh..and as for schools that are good at other academic competitions...another one is my alma mater Mt. Carmel. :wink: I think 3 years ago or so we were both NCAL (maybe even county?) champs as well as Regional champs in Sci Oly. Amazingly though..while we're fantastic at regionals and annual compete closely with Torrey Pines and University City (which was just an up and comer 5-6 years ago)..MC has just stunk at state for the past 2-3 years after being perranial alsorans (w/ Torrey) to Troy.
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

Oh our AL coach's wife (who used to be our varsity coach) is now coaching AL at westview perhaps i can ask our coach to motivate westview as well.

As far as the players are concerned, NAQT and AL run separately. Practices for NAQT are often held at a separate time and most of the time at someone's house. Most ALers are not NAQT players. anyone can join our NAQT teams, but usually it is the more fervent and passionate ALers.

We've tried using NAQT questions in practice for AL, but many members did not like how long the questions were. They usually could not get the tossup until the giveaway anyhow, so we decided it was much more beneficial to use things such as Patrick's press for our AL matches.

NAQT practice are done with past tournament questions as well as questions from Stanford Packet Archive. The environment is much more casual. We usually go out for a fun event after practice (ie bowling, movies)

Another difference between NAQT and AL is the amount of staff involvement. NAQT is completely student run at RB. While we have a designated coach for AL, such is not the case for NAQT

I hope you guys do join NAQT. PUSD Represent! =D

So what is AL exactly? Is it :chip: ?

ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

AL = academic league

It is basically like NAQT, with tossups and bonuses and such, but the questions usually consist exclusively of give aways, thus it is more of a speed game than a knowledge game.

Bonuses are also given all at once, with 20 seconds to work on all of them.

No powers...sigh =(

A sample tossup would be, "Which radio talk show host was fired from NBC for slandering Rutger's women's basketball team?"
mcalmvp
Lulu

Post by mcalmvp »

ihavenoidea wrote:Oh our AL coach's wife (who used to be our varsity coach) is now coaching AL at westview perhaps i can ask our coach to motivate westview as well.

As far as the players are concerned, NAQT and AL run separately. Practices for NAQT are often held at a separate time and most of the time at someone's house. Most ALers are not NAQT players. anyone can join our NAQT teams, but usually it is the more fervent and passionate ALers.

We've tried using NAQT questions in practice for AL, but many members did not like how long the questions were. They usually could not get the tossup until the giveaway anyhow, so we decided it was much more beneficial to use things such as Patrick's press for our AL matches.

NAQT practice are done with past tournament questions as well as questions from Stanford Packet Archive. The environment is much more casual. We usually go out for a fun event after practice (ie bowling, movies)

Another difference between NAQT and AL is the amount of staff involvement. NAQT is completely student run at RB. While we have a designated coach for AL, such is not the case for NAQT

I hope you guys do join NAQT. PUSD Represent! =D
Ah..I see...I suppose I'll have to get on and contact the more active members of AL at MC (I'll hopefully be at MC before school ends tomorrow). And yes..Patrick's Press is amazing for AL (at MC, for bonus practices we actually have a huge stack that is a compilation by an insanely smart mother of two former AL players).

Anyways..that's cool...and if I can be of any assistance in setting up a Westview team, I'd gladly try to help out. I really would love it if the other PUSD schools would do NAQT (well...I guess I don't mind the hicks at Poway not being here. :wink: )

Thanks a lot and hopefully we can get something running at MC. It'd be a shame to waste MCs talent on just NCAL...and I'd love more MC-RB competition. Best AL rivalry. :)
mcalmvp
Lulu

Post by mcalmvp »

ihavenoidea wrote:AL = academic league

It is basically like NAQT, with tossups and bonuses and such, but the questions usually consist exclusively of give aways, thus it is more of a speed game than a knowledge game.

Bonuses are also given all at once, with 20 seconds to work on all of them.

No powers...sigh =(

A sample tossup would be, "Which radio talk show host was fired from NBC for slandering Rutger's women's basketball team?"
Well I think most AL questions are about 2 lines long..so the beginning does require some knowledge...but by the end it is typically a buzzer race (unless honestly everyone there doesn't know it). The computational questions in AL, though, are very good for both knowledge and speed in my opinion (esp. the calculus ones).
ntan
Lulu

Post by ntan »

http://quizbowl.bol.ucla.edu/results/TW ... dings.html

those are the stats for TWAIN on Oct 7.
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

I would say TWAIN reflects the strengths in SoCal pretty well, except for Torrey Pines B. Therefore, my rankings are thus

1. Santa Monica A (by far)
2. Rancho Bernardo B
3. Arcadia A
4. Rancho Bernardo A
5. Torrey Pines B

Hmm does anyone know where san dieguito is?
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

ihavenoidea wrote:I would say TWAIN reflects the strengths in SoCal pretty well, except for Torrey Pines B. Therefore, my rankings are thus

1. Santa Monica A (by far)
2. Rancho Bernardo B
3. Arcadia A
4. Rancho Bernardo A
5. Torrey Pines B
Here's the thing, though. I think that if Rancho Bernardo put its four strongest players (Jeff + some combination of Brenda/Oleg/Anurag/Roscoe/??(others I potentially haven't seen due to being freshmen or whatnot) on the same team, I can't really judge who of those is the strongest) together, they could potentially challenge Santa Monica for supremacy in the area. Torrey Pines proved it has several good players as well, and of course Arcadia. In terms of (if these schools put their best four players on one team, who would win), I would rank the schools:
1. Santa Monica
2. Rancho Bernardo
3. Arcadia
4. Torrey Pines
5. Edison
6. La Jolla
ntan
Lulu

Post by ntan »

well, i think that Rancho has the depth to field a B team capable of beating La Jolla on a consistent basis. the generally high bonus conversion on all their teams attests to the amount of talent they have outside their starting four on their strongest team[/quote]
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

I agree with Dwight's rankings

Where is San Dieguito? lol
mcalmvp
Lulu

Post by mcalmvp »

ihavenoidea wrote:I agree with Dwight's rankings

Where is San Dieguito? lol
physically? Somewhere in Encinitas I think :razz:

ranking? after a few real good years (2003 and 2005-2007) they could be having just an off or "eh" year....or perhaps back to the bygones of NCAL (though I really hope it isn't the latter). At least for San Diego teams, how good you are tends to be cyclical (albeit in terms of NCAL RBV is a constant..but they are in the North Division).
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

Ntan, apparently Troy's coming to CBCT? How well do you think they'll do?

Mcalmvp, hows the motivating going for mt carmel?
ntan
Lulu

Post by ntan »

while i personally do not talk to students from troy on a regular basis, a couple of guys on our science/ocean science bowl teams do. one of our guys two years ago actually convinced them to attend a tournament and they finished 6-6 in a tough bracket. im not sure how they'll do this time, if they do in fact attend the tournament, but judging from their skill at the other bowls i think they would be able to do well for a first time team
mcalmvp
Lulu

Post by mcalmvp »

ihavenoidea wrote:Ntan, apparently Troy's coming to CBCT? How well do you think they'll do?

Mcalmvp, hows the motivating going for mt carmel?
not so well..but honestly, I haven't really been trying for the past 3 weeks due to my busy schedule and the fires. Once their coach starts officially organizing practices though...I'll start hitting them up more, as well as Westview (screw the hicks in Poway :wink: )
ntan
Lulu

Post by ntan »

on another note, are any teams other than ours that weill be affected by the jeopardy callbacks on the same day? in reference to this weekend's CBCT at UCI of course
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

I don't know much about the field except that Santa Monica dropped. With an Arcadia team apparently not at full strength and evidently no Santa Monica, this ought to be a good opportunity to sort out some of the other good teams (or at least give them a better chance to qualify for HSNCT). Since this also seems to be the thread for SoCal discussion, I am wondering what the views of the three or four high schoolers that post here on adding more tournaments to the schedule (obviously since we've more-or-less exhausted the NAQT set, they'd have to be house-written or mirrored from elsewhere in the country), and if so, what kind of tournaments you would like to see.

Dwight
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

Rancho Bernardo is planning an NAQT tournament sometime in January i believe.

House written tournaments would be awesome, but with the amount of participation, not logistically as possible as playing mirrors from other hs tournaments.

Dwight, are schools on the east willing to give packets for mirrors at Socal tournaments?

EDIT: I'm sure rancho bernardo would be interested in attending more quizbowl tournaments
laisselapluie
Kimahri

Post by laisselapluie »

Yes, Rancho Bernardo should be hosting a tournament in January. It looks like I'll be "directing" it, or in charge of it at any rate. It hasn't been officially announced yet because we're trying to get an OK on the tournament theme. We've contacted the Academic League schools in San Diego, and have so far only heard back from Fallbrook and Torrey Pines, so we're not sure what the interest level might be. We're hoping for a minimum of 16 teams, and maybe up to 24 if some LA schools are willing to come. I would think that since RB is hosting and will not be playing, this might be a good incentive to drive 2 hours?

So about UCI, is Santa Monica really not going? Like, really, truly officially not going?

If SaMo really isn't coming, it's going to be very interesting to see what the field ends up looking like. I'm especially curious to see how Troy will do. We played them once a few years ago, but that was the day of Science Olympiad or something, so they didn't have those people with them.
ntan
Lulu

Post by ntan »

arcadia is actually hosting an naqt tournament this year too (with IS-74 if it is important). we're gonna post an official announcement once we get the school to approve a date. it's looking like feb 16,2008.

edit: hey rb, we might consider coming (if i can convince our coach and the rest of the team to make the drive. it's unlikely we'll send more than 2 teams if we do go though)

edit #2: yes, arcadia would like to attend more tournaments should funds allow
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

Hmmm...Ok

Man LA teams are so lucky, they never need to drive 2 hr + for a tournament...

EDIT: does anyone know who the other dropped team is?
ntan
Lulu

Post by ntan »

with, samo not attending, and half our regular team a missing, and la jolla/torrey not as strong as they usually are,i actually will not be too surprised if rb qualifies 3 for nationals (assuming a 23-24 team field)

good luck rb, hope you guys will do well :grin:
mcalmvp
Lulu

Post by mcalmvp »

laisselapluie wrote:Yes, Rancho Bernardo should be hosting a tournament in January. It looks like I'll be "directing" it, or in charge of it at any rate. It hasn't been officially announced yet because we're trying to get an OK on the tournament theme. We've contacted the Academic League schools in San Diego, and have so far only heard back from Fallbrook and Torrey Pines, so we're not sure what the interest level might be. We're hoping for a minimum of 16 teams, and maybe up to 24 if some LA schools are willing to come. I would think that since RB is hosting and will not be playing, this might be a good incentive to drive 2 hours?

So about UCI, is Santa Monica really not going? Like, really, truly officially not going?

If SaMo really isn't coming, it's going to be very interesting to see what the field ends up looking like. I'm especially curious to see how Troy will do. We played them once a few years ago, but that was the day of Science Olympiad or something, so they didn't have those people with them.
I'll do my best to pester Westview and Mount Carmel (well..if you know ppl from either school..do your part too!)...though i know Mt. Carmel probably just sorted out their AL teams.
mcalmvp
Lulu

Post by mcalmvp »

ihavenoidea wrote:Hmmm...Ok

Man LA teams are so lucky, they never need to drive 2 hr + for a tournament...

EDIT: does anyone know who the other dropped team is?
Dana Hills
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

Thanks mcal!
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

ntan wrote:with, samo not attending, and half our regular team a missing, and la jolla/torrey not as strong as they usually are,i actually will not be too surprised if rb qualifies 3 for nationals (assuming a 23-24 team field)

good luck rb, hope you guys will do well :grin:
La Jolla A did reach top 8 at TWAIN, while torrey had two teams that reached top playoff bracket.

I'm sorry to hear that arcadia is not at full strength this tournament. You guys have always given us a good match in the past. We look forward to playing you guys at USC, where perhaps your full team will be present?

Are your players absent due to Jeopardy callbacks?
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

For bracketing purposes, am I to assume that RB is at full strength for 2 teams, and Arcadia/La Jolla/Torrey Pines's top teams will be depleted, but not severely?

I'm hoping that we can get pretty even prelim brackets for CBCT so that the best teams at that tournament end up in the top playoff bracket (we're probably doing three prelim brackets and taking top 2 from each bracket for top bracket).
laisselapluie
Kimahri

Post by laisselapluie »

RB A is actually playing with only 3 people, and we're missing half of our regular B team, so we're unfortunately not at full strength. So I guess all the teams are on even footing? Looks like it's going to be an interesting few rounds. I'm looking forward to it. :grin: