Illinois '07-'08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

mlaird wrote:No no no no no. Even myself, as a Sox fan, know that it is physically impossible to like both the Cubs and the Mets. 1969? Come on. Ron Santo won't even go to Shea Stadium to do broadcasts there.
As an Orioles fan, I have long since forgiven the Mets for 1969. I do not, however, consider them 'Amazing' in any way, shape, or form.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

JohnGlerum wrote:
leftsaidfred wrote:If you can't like and cheer for Jim Thome, then you can't like baseball either.
Ha!
Are you talking again?! Do I need to come up there and give you a fresh one??

edit: stoopid rules of spelling ....a before i...
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

So, did anyone attend SchoBowlFest yesterday? If so, how was it?
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

We had about 50 people at SchoBowlFest and it went very well. I especialy liked the general mood: informal and everyone willing to share ideas. Most of the coaches who attended were new, with a few veterans like yours truly. NAQT, QuestionsGalore and BuzzerSystems.com were represented as vendors (did I leave anyone out?) and quite a few vendors cpntributed door prizes. Tentative plans are to have ths every year, perhaps with both a northern and southern site. I'll ask ReinsteinD to comment further.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I agree with Mr. Riley, and I was happy with the way the day turned out. We were lucky to have some very good presenters, and there was a real mix of veteran and new coaches. Whether we'll split or rotate sites is something to be decided in the future, though it worked well having it at Bloomington this time.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
the return of AHAN
Auron

Sure is quiet around here... no discussion of upcoming tournaments?

On another note...so, Tegan, not one bit of crowing about the Cubs finishing their season tied with the White Sox for number of playoff wins??? :lol:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Any predictions for Earlybird?

I'll go with an all non-Illinois final, with NKC over DCC.

Highest finishing Illinois teams (i.e. the other semifinal teams): Auburn and one of Loyola/NT/Bloomington
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

BarringtonJP wrote:Sure is quiet around here... no discussion of upcoming tournaments?

On another note...so, Tegan, not one bit of crowing about the Cubs finishing their season tied with the White Sox for number of playoff wins??? :lol:
Go check out the sports pages ..... the crow has been around. I did send the Kenilworth police over to Gelrum's house just to make sure there were no jumpers, though .....that's just me: always looking out for the well being of others.

Remember, my new book: Cub's Century: 100 Years of Incompetence will be on sale for the Holidays. There's a beautifully written forward by Steve Bartman. The cover is genuine goatskin.
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

Cruel and unusual punishment. That's what that is. *glares*
Brigette Demke, ex-Maine South
the return of AHAN
Auron

Trevkeeper wrote:Any predictions for Earlybird?

Highest finishing Illinois teams (i.e. the other semifinal teams): Auburn and one of Loyola/NT/Bloomington
How do you know who is in the field? I must have missed that update. But, I'm more curious about the Fremd drosh/soph. I sent in my entry, but haven't received any particulars, though it is still 2 weeks away (I really need to learn to be more patient).
Jeff Price
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

BarringtonJP wrote:How do you know who is in the field? I must have missed that update. But, I'm more curious about the Fremd drosh/soph. I sent in my entry, but haven't received any particulars, though it is still 2 weeks away (I really need to learn to be more patient).
It is not unusual for teams to etner tournaments and never receive an update before tournament day ..... sometimes you get an e-mail about a week in advance.

If you are uncertain, it wouldn't be impolite to drop an e-mail and confirm that everything is set.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

JohnAndSlation wrote:Cruel and unusual punishment. That's what that is. *glares*
Those who refuse to confront history are forced to have it come crashing and burning down around them .......

I believe it was Robert E. Lee who said, late on the first day of Gettysburg:

"Pull out the First Division ..... sure, they're going fine, but I'll need them on Day Four ..... send in Pickett."
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

For the record: white Cloud beat DCC in a local tournament (they could be missing a player). While they are usually good, I'm not sure they are equal to teams during the Weinberg regime.

We did get an update: there will be 11 teams playing a round robin, then a three team round robin playoff.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

David Riley wrote:For the record: white Cloud beat DCC in a local tournament (they could be missing a player). While they are usually good, I'm not sure they are equal to teams during the Weinberg regime.

We did get an update: there will be 11 teams playing a round robin, then a three team round robin playoff.
Boy, its a good thing that no one at DCC reads this .... and would be, like, planning to beat the living snot out of Loyola or something.

cc: Principal, Detroit Central Catholic High School
Quiz Bowl Coach Detroit Central Catholic High School
Detroit Times Newspaper, Inc.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

BarringtonJP wrote:
Trevkeeper wrote:Any predictions for Earlybird?

How do you know who is in the field? I must have missed that update. But, I'm more curious about the Fremd drosh/soph. I sent in my entry, but haven't received any particulars, though it is still 2 weeks away (I really need to learn to be more patient).
It's posted in the tournament thread.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

David Riley wrote:For the record: white Cloud beat DCC in a local tournament (they could be missing a player). While they are usually good, I'm not sure they are equal to teams during the Weinberg regime.

Indeed, my prediction was based upon DCC being their usual self; otherwise I'd pick Auburn to be in it.
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

BarringtonJP wrote:How do you know who is in the field?
I'll post this over here, too, for your predicting convenience.
Carbondale
Bloomington
IMSA
Saint Ignatius
University High (Normal)
North Kansas City
Detroit Catholic Central A
Detroit Catholic Central B
Loyola
Rockford Auburn
New Trier
Best of luck to all the teams; we'll be keeping full stats as normal and will post them upon completion.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Just for discussion or whatever, I should note that NKC won't actually have our full team there (well...we will have our full team, but it's only 3 people). And of us, Grant has had hardly any practice because of swimming, and Brandon has had some reduced because of IB work. So we won't be exactly what we will in, say, a couple months when people start coming in to practice.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Where's Charlie? (no pun intended)....or did you change your name as well as your avatar?
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

[quote="]Tegan
I did send the Kenilworth police over to Gelrum's house just to make sure there were no jumpers, though .....that's just me: always looking out for the well being of others.[/quote]

Contrary to popular belief, the dirty streets of K-Town are full of hoodlums and gang bangers. Park Ridge... ha! Pales in comparison!

And if ACE camp was any indicator, Illinois teams will reign at U of I.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

JohnGlerum wrote: Contrary to popular belief, the dirty streets of K-Town are full of hoodlums and gang bangers. Park Ridge... ha! Pales in comparison!

And if ACE camp was any indicator, Illinois teams will reign at U of I.
Lies, I've played frisbee at 1 am in Kenilworth and been perfectly safe. Granted, we were right by the police station, but then again, everything in Kenilworth is right by the police station.

Also, wasn't NKC not at SEMO? Don't underestimate them, Jack -- they beat us soundly when we played them last year.

I'm Charlie "Deesy does it" Dees. This is the result of the last name change thread.

My teammates Brandon and Grant were both at SEMO, and from what I heard did fairly decently (Grant won the math competition FWIW, and Brandon was in the 2nd room all the way through, holding his own there), although I was not at any ACE camp over the summer.

And 380-210 is not exactly "sound," and is mostly because we got the last 6 tossups in a row. Until then it was really tight (made worse by the fact that we had a 10 minute break because someone didn't print the whole packet and where the score was something like 100-90). So it was solid play by both teams there.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Oh, I am by no means dissing NKC... Grant was by far the best at the camp in math and other NKC players did very well. But 90% of Room #1 was Illinois (Siva & John & Michael, Joe, Hunter, Greg & Jonathan, Austin, etc.).
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Also, I have no idea what DCC is like.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

I recognize all those names except for Austin. Who am I forgetting?
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Trevkeeper wrote:I recognize all those names except for Austin. Who am I forgetting?
Austin Friedman (might not be spelled right), history buff from Latin, lost to Michael at SS finals of ACE. Good guy.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Isn't it Andrew Friedman?
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Trevkeeper wrote:Isn't it Andrew Friedman?
Ah, that is right. Totally my bad.
patjm6163
Lulu

Post by patjm6163 »

Any news on the teams attending Loyola Ultima?
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

Post by mceschermaniac4 »

Which tournament are you talking about? I do not recall any time last year when White Cloud beat DCC A. I think they may have beaten the B team last year, so maybe you were confused. The A team has only played them once this year (Russel, KY Tournament) and we beat them.

By the way, good job NKC on your performance at the Early Bird Tournament. Your team looks very competitive and you should do very well this year at NAQT Nationals.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Teams attending the Ultima are Loyola(2), Bloomington, IMSA, New Trier, Rockford Auburn, St. Ignatius, Stevenson, and Wheaton-Warrenville.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

JohnGlerum wrote:And if ACE camp was any indicator, Illinois teams will reign at U of I.
[

ehhhhhh........
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

Tegan wrote:
JohnGlerum wrote:And if ACE camp was any indicator, Illinois teams will reign at U of I.
[
Not so much, eh?
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Um yeah...... well ACE obviously wasn't a good indicator.

However, Charles wasn't at ACE so you can't blame me there. I have no excuses for DCC though, they're legit.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

JohnGlerum wrote:However, Charles wasn't at ACE so you can't blame me there. I have no excuses for DCC though, they're legit.
We CAN blame you - for trying to assess NKC's strength having seen everyone except Charlie Dees. Charlie Dees might occasionally contribute to NKC, just a little.

EDIT: In fact, more than a little. In fact... 91.3% of his team's points, and 10 more points (while playing one less game) than the next 2 guys combined. My bad.
Last edited by Maxwell Sniffingwell on Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just a little.

Also, like, this is an early season thread about Illinois. I mean, its not very important if Jack Glerum knows who I am or whatever, especially since I'm not from Illinois and he's never played me. Everyone makes some cluncker predictions, I think.

Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Fun fact:

1st. Charles, 795 points (1 person, 7 games)
2nd. Michael, 630 points (4 people, 28 games)

Who's Michael?

the return of AHAN
Auron

Deesy Does It wrote:Who's Michael?
I think that's the joke: 4 dudes named Michael had fewer combined points than Charles Dees of North Kansas City, MO.
-------
edited to explicitly identify who Charles is.
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Price

BarringtonJP wrote:you-know-who.
Dude, I'm not Voldemort, and I don't think the Streator St. Anthony girl is either. You can just say "you" when talking to me about me, it's a lot less silly.

EDIT-Evan Adams claims to have conclusive proof that I am Voldemort. However, I just sent Nagini after him, so we wont be hearing from him for a long time.

Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Deesy Does It wrote:Dude, I'm not Voldemort
Hmmm ...... indeed .....
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Vol-dees-mort.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Deesy Does It wrote:
Dude, I'm not Voldemort, and I don't think the Streator St. Anthony girl is either. You can just say "you" when talking to me about me, it's a lot less silly.

EDIT-Evan Adams claims to have conclusive proof that I am Voldemort. However, I just sent Nagini after him, so we wont be hearing from him for a long time.
Indeed. It seemed awkward to respond to a public post with "you", but in context I suppose it makes sense. But with the SAS student, it didn't seem appropriate to call her out by name in the context of that discussion since one could say I was impugning her character. (but let's not go there, m'kay?)
Jeff Price
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Post by Stephen Colbert »

BarringtonJP wrote:
Deesy Does It wrote:

Indeed. It seemed awkward to respond to a public post with "you", but in context I suppose it makes sense. But with the SAS student, it didn't seem appropriate to call her out by name in the context of that discussion since one could say I was impugning her character. (but let's not go there, m'kay?)
In an ironic twist, the letters of her full name can be rearranged to spell "I am Lord Voldemort". BTW, good luck at the Fremd frosh/soph.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Stephen Colbert wrote: In an ironic twist, the letters of her full name can be rearranged to spell "I am Lord Voldemort". BTW, good luck at the Fremd frosh/soph.
:lol:
I can't wait. Of course, that occurs one day after the IESA Scholastic Bowl Coaches Workshop. Will you be in attendance? What are your plans for this year with regards to scholastic bowl, or are you going the Dick Vermeil route (that is, follow a championship by taking time off)? Deny it if you want, since you were not the coach of record, but you are the reason SAS won state. End of discussion.

(I withdraw the comparison of Vermeil and T.Egan if absence is health-related) :sad:
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff Price

I thought it was more for, like, health. Mr. Egan can confirm/deny at his pleasure.

Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

BarringtonJP wrote: (I withdraw the comparison of Vermeil and T.Egan if absence is health-related) :sad:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Only partially health related. I'll live for the moment ... I think?
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

Tegan wrote:
BarringtonJP wrote: (I withdraw the comparison of Vermeil and T.Egan if absence is health-related) :sad:
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Only partially health related. I'll live for the moment ... I think?
I hope!
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Post by Stephen Colbert »

BarringtonJP wrote: :lol:
I can't wait. Of course, that occurs one day after the IESA Scholastic Bowl Coaches Workshop. Will you be in attendance? What are your plans for this year with regards to scholastic bowl, or are you going the Dick Vermeil route (that is, follow a championship by taking time off)? Deny it if you want, since you were not the coach of record, but you are the reason SAS won state. End of discussion.

(I withdraw the comparison of Vermeil and T.Egan if absence is health-related) :sad:
I am kicking back and enjoying my early retirement. For the time being, my scholastic activities are limited to moderating when asked, occasionally lending a helping hand at Northlawn (I just don’t feel like myself without yelling at a few kids about missing parts of a math bonus), converting my entire bedroom full of old questions into audio files (if I can’t yell at kids in person, why not on their iPods?), and trying to teach calculus to “She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Namedâ€