Byko Rankings 2007-08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
quizbowllee
Auron

Byko Rankings 2007-08

Post by quizbowllee »

When might we see them?
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

leftsaidfred wrote:It's going right now.

http://ratings.aiquizbowl.com/index.php
Cool. Thanks.

-Lee
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

GiveMeBrindleeOrDeath wrote:
leftsaidfred wrote:It's going right now.

http://ratings.aiquizbowl.com/index.php
Cool. Thanks.

-Lee
omg haxx0red
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I know you're busy with lots of other stuff, but is there a projected next update?
Fred Morlan
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon »

I believe David did an update yesterday. All the Indiana rankings are updated, I know.
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

I notice you don't have any Minnesota teams on the list.

Many Minnesota stats can be found here

Of note...Minnesota league play (derived from a series) Note that there are four large divisions of ~30 teams each on that page.

Also, the a-series SOCIALhas been played. GINVIT (regular IS series) is upcoming.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

theMoMA wrote:I notice you don't have any Minnesota teams on the list.

Many Minnesota stats can be found here

Of note...Minnesota league play (derived from a series) Note that there are four large divisions of ~30 teams each on that page.

Also, the a-series SOCIALhas been played. GINVIT (regular IS series) is upcoming.
Yes, that's coming soon--hopefully this weekend. I have a lot of catching up to do. It's been something that has gotten a little behind while I've been taking care of things so we can close on our first house by the end of the year.
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

What about Beltway league? I'm curious if you will add the matches, and if so, all at the end of the year, or after each takes place?
Sorry about my continued pest-iness, Isaac
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
pblessman
Rikku

Post by pblessman »

I was looking at the Indiana rankings and I was bothered by how highly some of the B Teams were ranked (e.g. Brebeuf Jesuit B above Brebeuf Jesuit A, even though the A Team has defeated the A Team counterpart to all the B Teams Brebeuf B has faced... (teams with a low number of games, especially if it doesn't connect to the bigger circuit, obviously mess things up...).

So... my idea was this: Would it make sense to assign one win to each A Team over it's school's lower ranked teams (B, C, D, etc.) and the same for each lower team (B gets one win over C, etc.)? This would get rid of any B Team weirdness in the rankings and would also give some meaning to the A, B, C etc. designation... The A Team should have defeated the B Team at least once in practice, right?
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Unrelated, but is it possible to get a display of when things are updated on the main ratings page?
Fred Morlan
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

The problem is that some B-teams can defeat their school's A-team. (TJ last year, Eden Prairie this year, etc.)
Ian Eppler from Brown University
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

Yes. B-teams should be treated as independent entities. To make the Indiana rankings smooth out, the teams there should go to more tournaments. The more interconnection of regions and tournaments held, the more accurate the rankings become.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

While I agree that going to more tournaments in more places is a good thing, there are possibilities that teams don't have the budget, the interested members, lack of a good coach, and, honestly, a lot of teams in areas dominated by Chip and other poor writers are very reluctant to go to NAQT or other pyramidal (caveat: in this case I don't mean 2 liners with 4 clues in order of difficuty, I mean 4 lines, or at minimum what you find in an A-set) tournaments, especially with those with straight tossup bonus formats (which, like it or not, is how pyramidal questions are most often found). Also, there is a very strong possibility that there are tournaments that aren't being submitted to the results for these teams.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

Fair point, although I think the "go to more tournaments" solution was to solve the specific problem of weird-looking team rankings, and not as a catch-all "here's what Indiana needs to do". It is certainly a more valid solution than adding fictional games between A and B teams.

(Also, coaches and players could always encourage TDs to submit their results, if people in a certain area care about these particular rankings to that extent.)
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

NoahMinkCHS wrote:(Also, coaches and players could always encourage TDs to submit their results, if people in a certain area care about these particular rankings to that extent.)
Not only that, but I've had some teams submit results for their own team for the season. Granted, if they've defeated teams for which I don't have any results at all, it can be of limited value, but still, any information is better than nothing. I try to do what I can, but I know there are tournaments for which the full results aren't posted online, and at this point, I simply don't have the time to e-mail every TD for full results from their tournament (and there are some TDs who wouldn't really be able to provide that anyways).

As for notifying when updates happen, well, it's kind of irregular--depends on how work and other stuff in my life is going. I really don't know how to do it effectively other than to say that, well, check back and see when it happens. I will say this: ratings are recalculated daily at midnight, so the numbers will not change throughout the day; there may be new results added throughout the day, but they will not impact ratings and rankings until the next day. For example, Eden Prairie A right now is listed as 14-0. If you click on their page, they're actually 18-0 because they have 4 wins I added today (MNHSQB League - Southern Division - Meet 2 - 12/6/07) that haven't been factored into the calculations yet.

The real challenge with the imbalance is exactly what has been said: early on, win-loss record tends to dominate strength of schedule, and this is especially true of teams that are isolated from the rest of the network. You'll notice there are some JV teams that are included, which I would ultimately like to move to their own group in some circumstances, but the fact is that it would take some coding and testing to do what I would like to with it, but that isn't really possible right now because of time constraints. The rankings should usually be more accurate on a regional level than a national one, although at this point, with more of the blending between teams all along the east coast, that whole area is probably somewhat more accurate than expected.

As always, if there are results that you don't see posted (or worse, if you see mistakes), e-mail me and I'll include them as I can. Next week I may have some extra time--this whole buying-a-house thing has taken a lot of time the last couple months.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon »

The Indiana rankings will likely smooth themselves out once I get all the scores from the Brownsburg tournament to submit to David. There were about 30 teams there, of which about half were B-teams. Few of the B-teams did well, and none did better than their A-teams.
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

You have the GDS tourney, but none of the games or records.

Er, just wondering if you knew that.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

NeverHitTina wrote:You have the GDS tourney, but none of the games or records.

Er, just wondering if you knew that.
Yeah, I do. Closing on a house yesterday kind of took priority over the ratings.

Seriously, it's all coming. If you've e-mailed me with statistics that aren't included yet, I probably got them, and I'll try to get caught up on everything by the end of the calendar year. Plus I have everything I need (I think) from these tournaments that I still need to enter:

Minnesota
Georgetown Day
Rock Valley CC
New Trier

So I'm close. Just give me a little more time.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Maybe you need a link to let you know which statistics you have received but have not entered in addition to a list of tournaments included.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

I was thinking, can't you delegate some of the stat-input responsibility to some people? It seems like an operation that doesn't really require you to be on a particular computer . . .
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Can we get any volunteers? (Of course, I'm sure it has something to do with data input into the spreadsheet...).
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I mentioned this in another thread, but if you give me some parameters for what stats you want to develop, I should be able to make you a program that will at least be able to get teams from SQBS html output and add them to some database of yours.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:I mentioned this in another thread, but if you give me some parameters for what stats you want to develop, I should be able to make you a program that will at least be able to get teams from SQBS html output and add them to some database of yours.
Part of the problem there, though, is that the teams in SQBS have to match how they are accounted for in the database. For example, since there are multiple Auburn High Schools in the country, there's Auburn A (VA), Auburn A (Auburn IL), and Auburn A (Rockford IL). Do I expect everyone else out there to match my protocol? No--for them, it's not necessary, and it's unrealistic for me to expect everyone else to change for me. That's one of the biggest challenges: I could set something up to take an output file from SQBS and ingest it straight up, but if the teams aren't called what I call them, it won't work without some more effort. (Then again, that's not as much work as I had previously thought, so that might be a worthwhile effort--something I can think about when I have more time).

It's a relatively easy (I think) system to use, so I'm certainly not opposed to having other people do data entry into it--I'm close to having an actual login system for admin access for data entry anyways. So it's possible that could happen, but again, it'll take a little time. Good ideas, though.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Well the idea would be to at the beginning of the season (and throughout the season) create some large database of teams in the country. Then, when you're importing data from SQBS, it goes through each of the teams and asks you to compare the team name on the SQBS page to the "official" team name in your database. While this would require you to validate for each team in a tournament, it would be considerably less work than manually entering in the data for each team.

Of course it wouldn't work for teams that just haphazardly post data in their own formats, but I imagine it would save you at least like 25% of your work.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Hey Dave,
On the page for our team, it shows us at 27-5, but it doesn't show that on the page for Ohio... whats up with that?
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

BobGHHS wrote:Hey Dave,
On the page for our team, it shows us at 27-5, but it doesn't show that on the page for Ohio... whats up with that?
It probably means your record has been updated to 27-5 but the ranking hasn't run since the update. I seem to remember Byko mentioning something about that. Check and see if it's still that way tomorrow.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Howard wrote:
BobGHHS wrote:Hey Dave,
It probably means your record has been updated to 27-5 but the ranking hasn't run since the update. I seem to remember Byko mentioning something about that. Check and see if it's still that way tomorrow.
You got it. Since the server isn't completely in my control (as in, I don't own it personally), the best I can do is have the ratings get recalculated nightly, particularly at a time when there isn't much or any traffic, so it happens right now at 1:00 or so.

One more note for those interested: because I have other priorities (such as redoing my kitchen and making sure we put together our regular season PACE set that will be used in February along with a trip out of town for about 5 days), I will likely not be making any updates to the ratings between tomorrow and mid-February. It's possible this might change if time opens up in my schedule. I apologize for the inconvenience. Next season, I don't anticipate something like this coming up since I will likely have a better data entry interface that I will feel more comfortable letting other people use to help with inputting data (among other changes I'm considering working on during the offseason).
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

That's too bad. I was hoping to print off the rankings prior to the IHSA seeding meeting in early Feb. where I plan to attend as proxy for the BHS varsity coach to help me gauge the strength of the 20-odd teams BHS never plays. I guess it's back to my original plan of actually listening to coaches argue why they deserve to be ranked ahead of certain others.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Would those coaches who tend to argue actually listen, or would they just disregard those ratings anyway?

You could bring the last version anyway, just to see what people think. Basically the argument would be, "who have you played," and "how often have you played them"?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
the return of AHAN
Auron

Yeah but Barrington's strength (or lack thereof) is COMPLETELY predicated on how good Fremd, Hoffman Estates, and Buffalo Grove look as they played outside of conference this season and Barrington hasn't. PLUS, only 3 conference games were played prior to Christmas, so the record is pretty sparse as far as the byko ratings are concerned.
These are arguments that cn be made verbally but it's nice to have the argument quantified for you.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

There are quite a few results on NAQT's results page that haven't been added yet.
the return of AHAN
Auron

I will likely not be making any updates to the ratings between tomorrow and mid-February.
Any updates coming soon?
Jeff Price
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

It does appear that some new tournaments and school names have recently gone in (about 100+ new teams in fact since yesterday I think is was like 2150 and is now is 2276). But I suspect that Mr. Bykowski has a ways to go to catch up.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Stat74 wrote:But I suspect that Mr. Bykowski has a ways to go to catch up.
QFT

Seriously, though, if things continue to go well, I may be caught up completely in early March.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Dave,
I know I sent you some recent results, but did you receive the Solon results from last Saturday and Sunday?
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
Byko
Yuna

Re:

Post by Byko »

BobGHHS wrote:Dave,
I know I sent you some recent results, but did you receive the Solon results from last Saturday and Sunday?
I have. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get those included sometime this week. The stack of results in the e-mail inbox is a lot smaller right now, so that increases the chances.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
quizbowllee
Auron

Re: Re:

Post by quizbowllee »

Byko wrote:
I have. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get those included sometime this week. The stack of results in the e-mail inbox is a lot smaller right now, so that increases the chances.
I have sent you the results from a few tournaments. Have you gotten them?

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Byko
Yuna

Re: Re:

Post by Byko »

GiveMeBrindleeOrDeath wrote:
Byko wrote:
I have sent you the results from a few tournaments. Have you gotten them?

-Lee
I got what you sent me from LBW CC (and that'll take a while to figure out what the devil the deal is with that spreadsheet). That's the only thing that jumps out at me from you recently, though.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Matthew D
Yuna

Re: Byko Rankings

Post by Matthew D »

Did you get the ones I have sent to you also?
I sent you the one for Northeast Alabama Community College Mustang Bowl and Scottsboro's TIN Man
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Matthew D wrote:Did you get the ones I have sent to you also?
I sent you the one for Northeast Alabama Community College Mustang Bowl and Scottsboro's TIN Man
The Scottsboro TMI results just got entered today. I don't recall seeing anything from NE Alabama CC--I think there was a brief post online somewhere, but that's it, I think.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
mishra1111
Lulu

Post by mishra1111 »

I was asked to post the results from the Sixth Annual Rube Invitational here for rankings. They can be found at http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Ch ... ults6.html and should be up on the NAQT website soon.
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

mishra1111 wrote:I was asked to post the results from the Sixth Annual Rube Invitational here for rankings. They can be found at http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Ch ... ults6.html and should be up on the NAQT website soon.
Judging from those stats (although a SQBS page would be more helpful) it looks like Grosse Pointe North could be a playoff caliber team (not necessarily championship caliber) if they actually decide to attend NAQT and PACE.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

mishra1111 wrote:I was asked to post the results from the Sixth Annual Rube Invitational here for rankings. They can be found at http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Ch ... ults6.html and should be up on the NAQT website soon.
Excellent--thank you. I'm lacking data in Michigan on the whole, so that's very helpful indeed. Although I'm mostly caught up (don't worry, Minnesota--I haven't forgotten you all, just give me another week or maybe less), I still don't really have the time to send a lot of unsolicited e-mails for results, but I'll be happy to accept any that come my way--I've gotten a couple good ones from teams in the last 24 hours, so feel free to do e-mail me at dbykowski AT aiquizbowl DOT com.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Hey, Byko. I just sent you stats from the ASCA Small School Tournament.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

When Magoo Flew wrote:Hey, Byko. I just sent you stats from the ASCA Small School Tournament.
Saw it this morning--thanks!
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

RTO results are at http://www.raleighcharterhs.org/ncata/rto. They are in a modified SQBS html format. If you need something different, we can work on that.

Eric
Eric Grunden, Research Triangle High School/NCATA
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

I don't mean to nitpick, but I was just checking our stats, and Whitman's 205-285 loss to Stuyvesant in round 4 of the DACQ Saturday Tournament isn't the right result from that round (I can't remember what happened in that round, but we went 5-1 with the loss to Charter in round 6).
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Stat Boy wrote:I don't mean to nitpick, but I was just checking our stats, and Whitman's 205-285 loss to Stuyvesant in round 4 of the DACQ Saturday Tournament isn't the right result from that round (I can't remember what happened in that round, but we went 5-1 with the loss to Charter in round 6).
Yeah, looks I just had a typo while entering those between rounds yesterday--I don't have any result for Walter Johnson in round 3, so that must be it. Thanks for pointing it out--I've corrected it now.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

Byko,

I just posted the Kaysinger (MO) Conference results. I would have emailed them to you, but I couldn't find your address.
Jason Mueller, former University of Missouri player