RESULTS: Trevor's Triv./Selcer Mem. (9/29/07) at UTC

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

RESULTS: Trevor's Triv./Selcer Mem. (9/29/07) at UTC

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

The UTC Academic Trivia Association will hold its 10th annual Trevor’s Trivia: Bob Selcer Memorial High School Quizbowl. Named in memory of a UTC alumnus, author of a regular trivia column as well as many academic quiz questions, this will be a one-day team academic quizbowl competition in Chattanooga, TN, on Sat., Sept. 29, 2007.

The field is open to high school and middle school teams, but limited to 45 teams total. To ensure that you have space reserved, we recommend that you e-mail utcquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com at your earliest convenience with the number of teams your school expects to bring.

FORMAT: This will be an untimed tournament with 20 tossups and bonuses per round, with no bounceback on bonuses. Questions will cover a variety of academic disciplines, with a little popular culture and general knowledge thrown in. The field will be split into brackets for a round robin, followed by playoffs for each division. During playoffs, non-playoff teams will have the option of playing consolation rounds.

ELIGIBILITY: By popular demand, we have made some adjustments to our eligibility rules. Students in grades 6-12 are eligible. Those in grades 11-12 are eligible to play in Division I only. (Exceptions may be made for players in 11th grade with no prior quizbowl experience, but only at the tournament director's discretion.) Students in grades 6-10 are eligible to play in either Division I or Division II. However, these questions are targeted at the high school level, and we strongly recommend that players in grades 6-8 play on Division II teams only. Separate trophies will be awarded for teams in Division II (teams composed entirely of players in grades 6 -10 . ) It is unlikely, but possible, that Division II teams may still play some matches against Division I teams. There will also be separate individual All-Star awards for players in grades 6 -10, even if they’re on a Division I team.

SCHEDULE: Registration begins at 9 AM EDT on Sat. 9/29, with announcements at 9:45 and play starting at 10. While we won’t have a precise schedule until we verify the field size, we expect to finish the round robin by 6 PM, followed by an exhibition “trashâ€
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Charlie,
We will be bring 2 with 4 total sets of buzzers..
Both of these will be JV teams.
Also, hit me with an email if you can, I am in need of some help on the 8th of September
Last edited by Matthew D on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Brindlee Mountain will be there. Put us down for 2 varsity and 3 JV teams.
kCobain911
Lulu

Post by kCobain911 »

Does your tournament have a lot of trash? Besides the trash round I mean
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Our general rule of thumb is one or two tossups and one or two bonuses on pop culture/general knowledge in each round. When there are two in a round, I usually try to make one of them what I call "respectable trash" -- mainstream movies/music/sports/gadgets/corporations/games etc. Of course, mainstream is a matter of perspective....
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

FIELD UPDATE: Trevor's Trivia/Selcer Memorial at UTC 9/29

As you probaby know, UTC is hosting our fall high school quizbowl, the 10th annual Trevor's Trivia/Bob Selcer Memorial, on Sat. 9/29/2007. The field is getting close to full, with 33 to 35 teams expected (the maximum is 45.) If you want in, we need to know soon.

Here are the teams we're expecting as of the moment (from TN unless otherwise noted.) If you see anything amiss, please let us know ASAP at utcquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com:

Armuchee (GA) 2 (1 Div I, 1 Div II)
Brindlee Mountain (AL) 5 (2 Div I, 3 Div II)
Carter High 1 (1 unknown)
Carter Middle 1 (1 Div II)
Chattahoochee (GA) 1-2 (1-2 unknown)
Dorman (SC) 3 (2 Div I, 1 Div II)
Indian Springs (AL) 1 (1 Div I)
Lincoln Co. 2 (1 Div I, 1 Div II)
M L King Magnet 2 (2 unknown)
McMinn Co 1 (1 Div I)
Monterey 1 (1 Div I)
NW Whitfield (GA) 3 (2 Div I, 1 Div II)
Ringgold (GA) 1-2 (1 Div II)
Scottsboro (AL) 2 (2 Div II)
SE Whitfield (GA) 4 (2 Div I, 2 Div II)
Webb 2 (2 Div I)
West Knoxville Homeschool 1 (1 unknown)

Total 33-35 (15 Div I, 13 Div II, 5-7 unknown)
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

The anonymous deep throat-esque source that revealed the sealed bids of Avery's legal prowess has now contacted me with some basic outlines of what happened here today
1. Dorman A
2. Dorman B
3. MLK (by default)
4. Chattahoochee A (forfeit)
5. Walton
6. Chattahoochee B

Apparently there were 2 0-loss teams and 4 1-loss teams, and Charlie Steinhice didn't put the rest of the 8 team playoff together because he couldn't decide which 2 of the 2-loss teams deserved to be there. Isn't there a thing called points per game?
Last edited by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I think being there.. that there might have been more problems from doing PPG and not doing the playoffs and it seemed to work.

I will add the results from the Division II teams which had a shootout for the number 3 and 4 seeds in the playoffs between Brindlee Mountain E and Scottsboro B then MLK's JV team and Ringold B

Then Scottsboro B beat BMHS E by 30 on the last question and Dorman C won against Ringold B but I never heard the score on that one
In the DII championship.. my bunch kinda ran out of gas and lost to Dorman C by a wide margin.

1st Dorman C
2nd Scottsboro A
3rd Ringold B
4th Brindlee Mountain E
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Deesy Does It wrote: Apparently there were 2 0-loss teams and 4 1-loss teams, and Charlie Steinhice put the rest of the 8 team playoff together because he couldn't decide which 2 of the 2-loss teams deserved to be there.
Huh? Am I the only one confused about what this means?

Sorry, didn't add in the word "didn't"
Problem will be corrected.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Deesy Does It wrote:3. MLK (by default)
4. Chattahoochee A (forfeit)
What was this about?
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Chattahoochee left instead of playing for 3rd and 4th with MLK. Not to fault them because it was going on 8 pm I think

Chattahoochee I hear wanted to leave and were tired. However, I did hear that Chattahoochee lost to Brindlee Mountain A and beat MLK in the prelims.
=EDIT=
Whoops, I started writing this a long time before and never posted it, Matthew D beat me to it.

quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Deesy Does It wrote:Chattahoochee I hear wanted to leave and were tired. However, I did hear that Chattahoochee lost to Brindlee Mountain A and beat MLK in the prelims.
=EDIT=
Whoops, I started writing this a long time before and never posted it, Matthew D beat me to it.
Actually, Chattahoochee lost to Brindlee Mountain B in the prelims... and also beat MLK.

The top 8 teams were supposed to make the playoffs, but it was decided at the last minute just to take 6. That didn't set well with us, seeing as both of BMHS varsity teams were in contention to be in those spots. My A-team lost to Walton on the last question and to Dorman B - on the last question. Had they gone by ppg, we would've been in, I think.

Also, we were beating Dorman B 250-20 at one point and they came back and won 340-320. While losing sucks bad, I have to give them props for one of the most impressive comebacks I've ever seen, not just in quiz bowl, but in anything.

Yeah, I still don't understand why not to just have the top 2 teams with 2 losses (in terms of points per game) go to the playoffs.
I must say though, I tend to subscribe to the thought that if you go more then .500 you should make the playoffs.

AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

Matthew D wrote:I will add the results from the Division II teams which had a shootout for the number 3 and 4 seeds in the playoffs between Brindlee Mountain E and Scottsboro B then MLK's JV team and Ringold B
BM E beat Scottsboro B, hence them making it to 4th and not Scottsboro B. However, BM E did lose to Scottsboro A.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

My bad on that one.. slip of the fingers it was the A team that beat the BMHS E team.. sorry about that..
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Stats?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)