2007 MLB Season

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
The Time Keeper
Auron

2007 MLB Season

Post by The Time Keeper »

Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

AL East: Sawx
AL Central: Cleveland
AL West: Angels (by default)
AL Wild Card: Twins
AL Champs: Twins

NL East: Mets
NL Central: Brewers
NL West: Who cares
Wild Card: Braves or Houston (Houston if Clemens returns there)
NL Champs: Mets

Series: Twins def. Mets 4-1

Over-Under on Ozzie Ejections: 5
Chances Jim Leyland manages in Detroit next year: 99%
Chances Jim Leyland manages in 2009: 1%

Sammy K Sosa; K/HR ratio: 4:1 (if the Rangers keep starting him)

Bonds breaks Aaron's record (pending health): August 15 in Atlanta or at home August 22 vs. the Cubs
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

The Twins will be lucky to finish 4th in the AL Central this year...unless BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF! (you have to say it like that to get the full impact), Matt Garza, the ghost of Ramon Ortiz, and Sir Sidney Ponson can step up when God disguised as Johan Santana isn't on the mound.

AL East: Yanks
AL Central: Indians
AL West: Angels
AL Wild Card: Tigers

NL Central: Cardinals
NL West: Dodgers
NL Wild Card: Braves

Yanks over Tigers 3-2
Indians over Angels 3-1

Mets over Dodgers 3-0
Cardinals over Braves 3-1

Indians over Yanks 4-3
Mets over Cardinals 4-2

Indians over Mets 4-2

AL MVP: Grady Sizemore (even though, like last year, Sizemore won't be the MVP on his own team)
NL MVP: Andruw Jones
AL Cy Young: Johan Santana
NL Cy Young: Ben Sheets
Steve Kaplan
Lulu

Post by Steve Kaplan »

Let's Go Mets. $100 wins me $700 at MGM Grand.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Steve Kaplan wrote:Let's Go Mets. $100 wins me $700 at MGM Grand.
Steve, no way the mets are a solid bet at those odds. What are the other going odds for teams?

I'm guessing Mil and the D-Backs have little action despite their quality.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

AL East - Boston
AL Central - Cleveland
AL West - Angels
AL Wild Card - Detroit

NL East - Philly
NL Central - Chicago
NL West - Los Angeles
NL Wild Card - New York

WC - Tigers over Red Sox, Angels over Indians; Cubs over Phillies, Mets over Dodgers
Div - Angels over Detroit, Mets over Cubs (sigh)
WS - Angels over Mets

MVP's - AL - Hafner, NL - Howard
Cy Young's - AL - Halladay, who just narrowly misses getting the Jays into the playoffs, NL - Zambrano
ROY - AL - Dice-K, NL - Tulowitzki

Notes - Chicago will be fourth in the AL Central...with regressing pitching, regressing power, and Ozzie's insane idea of playing with Erstad near the top of the order, there is literally no chance the Sox will make the playoffs. They could get to .500, and they will be a playoff contender up till about September because the AL Central will just beat up on everyone all season long, but they'll be playing kids in September.

I have a feeling that the Blue Jays, Cubs, and Twins are one year away from contending - they've got a good setup this year, but they're really one key addition away. Sadly for the Twins, the money for that addition will probably go to a Santana extension. I think that all three will shell out the money for one key player that will make them dominant forces in their division for 2008 and 2009.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Pettitte, Mussina, and Wang will combine for a 5.00 ERA this year, Igawa and Pavano 5.50. The Red Sox didn't improve enough. Full, healthy years from Burnett and Halladay propel the Jays to the best record in baseball.

Fun fact of the day: The Padres have something like the 5th most runs scored in baseball on the road in the past few years. They have a good offense.

AL East: Blue Jays
AL Central: Twins
AL West: Athletics
AL WC: Indians

NL Central: Cardinals
NL West: Padres
NL WC: Phillies

AL MVP: Travis Hafner
NL MVP: Albert Pujols

AL Cy: Johan Santana
NL Cy: Ben Sheets

AL ROY: Daisuke Matsuzaka
NL ROY: Chris Young the CF

ALDS: Indians over Blue Jays, Twins over Athletics
NLDS: Padres over Phillies, Mets over Cardinals

ALCS: Blue Jays over Twins
NLCS: Padres over Mets

WS: Padres over Blue Jays
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

styxman wrote: NL Central - Chicago
Anyone wishing to be a part of Brad Fischer's drug intervention should contact me at the easrliest possible date ...... soon before he starts putting money on the Cubs.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Tegan wrote:
styxman wrote: NL Central - Chicago
Anyone wishing to be a part of Brad Fischer's drug intervention should contact me at the easrliest possible date ...... soon before he starts putting money on the Cubs.
Anyone who puts real money down on the Cubs, especially at a Vegas book, is borderline insane - not for the "curse," but for the millions of dollars that Cub 'fans' bet on the Cubs with the mentality of "OMG when I bet the Cubs finally won." It pushes the odds way, way below what they rightfully should be. It's the same with some other teams - I've heard that Boston had the same thing before 2004.

Seriously though, for preseason predictions, the Cubs aren't a bad bet. The Cardinal rotation is shoddy and the offense is falling apart. The Brewers are still probably a year away from contending (but if Sheets puts in a good injury free year, they've got a shot). The Reds aren't division title caliber, same with the Pirates. The only team I'm really worried about is Houston, and they're going to find that a content Carlos Lee will only fatten up the average weight of the team, not the offensive numbers, to the level they're looking for. It'll be close, and I'm not expecting 95 wins out of the Cubs, but when you add two really good bats (Soriano and DLee), plus experience on two more young bats (Murton and Theriot), plus 2 more starting pitchers to eat innings for a good bullpen, there's no reason to think the Cubs couldn't win the division this year.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Cole Hamels pwns the n00bish Brew Crew
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

I want to go on record as the first person in this forum to bet on the Mariners in the AL West.
The Time Keeper
Auron

Kyle wrote:I want to go on record as the first person in this forum to bet on the Mariners in the AL West.
Feel free to go on record as the last one too.

:chip:
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Will the scales fall from Peter Angelos' eyes, or will he turn the Jedi lightning against the other owners at next winter's meeting?
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

neither. he just dies, thank god.
The Time Keeper
Auron

Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Dear Mr. Verlander,

Please pitch like that against every team except for Cleveland. Thanks!

Best,

Fred

Dear PROOOOOOOOOOOONK~!,

Please come back as someone has cloned you only without the baseball hitting ability you possess I miss you :(

Fred
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

The White Sox make me sad.
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Dolemite wrote:Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander Verlander
Goochland County strikes back!
Nav
Lulu

Post by Nav »

theMoMA wrote:ALDS: Indians over Blue Jays, Twins over Athletics

??
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Nav wrote:
theMoMA wrote:ALDS: Indians over Blue Jays, Twins over Athletics

??
But I'm winning all my fantasy leagues!
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Dolemite wrote:Verlander a.i.a.n.
Here's what I don't like:

Every Brewers loss is like giving the Cubs the chance at gaining in the standings (not that they always take advantage thank goodness) ...

If he's going to do the Buehrle, do it vs. some team like the Athletics or the Royals ...... not the Brew Crew!

Advanced Copies of: Cubs, Communists, and Other Big Busts of the past 100 Years are available now

Also: Barbara Tuchman's new book The Ivy of September, CubsCentury : Spectacular Desolation, and 100 Ways That Won't Work in Tryin' to Lift a Goat's Curse are all on sale in August. (personally, I lilke #63 .... having 1,000 men urinate all over the neighborhood while cursing .... apparently this does not work in lifting a goat's curse)
link5333
Lulu

Post by link5333 »

quick question, what does everyone think that the odds are that the Yankees make the post-season ?
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

If they keep their roster as is, I'd give them a one in three shot. If they play it smart and realize how easily fixable their problems are, and get a Chris Shelton or a Roberto Petagine to play 1B or DH, they could add a couple of extra wins in value and be about a 50/50.
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

I like how the Baseball Prospectus uses the first five letters of the last name and first two of the first name in the URLs of their pages, because it produces gems like this one (obviously, note the URL).
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

You got that from FireJoeMorgan, didn't you?
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

No, I don't care enough about baseball enough to read pages devoted to it. One of my friends probably saw it there though, since he sent it along to me.
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Fair enough.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

trevkeeper wrote:The White Sox make me sad.
As Albert King might say, if it wasn't for blown saves, we wouldn't have no saves at all.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Chin up Tom! The Brewers won again tonight. I'm feeling pretty smart for having the foresight to buy a partial plan of Brewers tix this year. After all, their base is so small that they offer the right to playoff tickets to all full and partial season ticket holders!
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Frank Thomas joins Junior Griffey as the only non-steroided players to reach a major home run milestone in some time ....

Congrats to Craig Biggio .... what a solid, classy player! He reminds me so much of Paul Molitor ......

Two guys that should be in the Hall as soon as possible!
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Tegan wrote:Frank Thomas joins Junior Griffey as the only non-steroided players to reach a major home run milestone in some time ....
Hey, Ryan Howard just became the fastest to hit 100 homers. At this rate, it will only take until about his 12th season for him to hit Bonds territory! Without Steroids!
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

dsfcaptains2005 wrote:Hey, Ryan Howard just became the fastest to hit 100 homers. At this rate, it will only take until about his 12th season for him to hit Bonds territory! Without Steroids!
Someone with a BP account should check but I think the prediction for an injury-prone, large-framed hitter who is pushing 30 is to be out of baseball by 2012 and actually collapse into a disorganized pile of limbs by 2014.

Meanwhile, Alex Rodriguez will hit 850 home runs without ever failing a drug test but will continue to be blamed for the fact that the Yankees starting rotation sucks.
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Tegan wrote:Frank Thomas joins Junior Griffey as the only non-steroided players to reach a major home run milestone in some time ....

Congrats to Craig Biggio .... what a solid, classy player! He reminds me so much of Paul Molitor ......

Two guys that should be in the Hall as soon as possible!
Biggio is a hanger-on who destroyed Chris Burke's career to lose the Astros games with his defense and his offense.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Matt Weiner wrote: Someone with a BP account should check but I think the prediction for an injury-prone, large-framed hitter who is pushing 30 is to be out of baseball by 2012 and actually collapse into a disorganized pile of limbs by 2014.

Meanwhile, Alex Rodriguez will hit 850 home runs without ever failing a drug test but will continue to be blamed for the fact that the Yankees starting rotation sucks.
He has had one injury: a quad strain. Thats it. Also, He's only 27. Also, Bill James´ "favorite toy" method of projection returns: "Based on his age, your player can be expected to play for 7.8 more years, at an average of 44.3 per year." while this puts him far below my projection, he only hit 2 home runs in his first "season" skewing the numbers.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

In baseball news, the 1927 Yankees were resurrected and posessed the bodies of the Minnesota Twins Friday night ........

The baseball equivalent of a Canadian baby fur seal clubbing expedition. Ay de mi!
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Tegan wrote:In baseball news, the 1927 Yankees were resurrected and posessed the bodies of the Minnesota Twins Friday night ........

The baseball equivalent of a Canadian baby fur seal clubbing expedition. Ay de mi!
No, it's just the Twins. The 4 runs the next 2 days confirmed it.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Dolemite wrote:
Kyle wrote:I want to go on record as the first person in this forum to bet on the Mariners in the AL West.
Does anyone who watched the All-Star Game want on the bandwagon?
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Kyle wrote:
Dolemite wrote:
I am not betting against a team that has Jack Cust. I want to go on record noting that players like Jack Cust make the game great. Teah, I do miss Ron Kittle.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Golden Tiger 86 wrote:

No, it's just the Twins. The 4 runs the next 2 days confirmed it.
I was at Sunday's game ..... the crowd cheered when the Sox won ..... they darn near started torching the place when they immediately announced Buehrle was resigned for four years.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I was at Sunday's game.
Did you see me ten rows behind the Sox dugout?
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

ReinsteinD wrote:
I was at Sunday's game.
Did you see me ten rows behind the Sox dugout?
No .... we couldn't sit in the fahtha' seats ..... we were four rows up from the wall on the batter's eye.
The Time Keeper
Auron

Kyle wrote:
Dolemite wrote:
I'd rather have the Mariners come out of the AL West than the Angels, so ride on, man!
The Time Keeper
Auron

blah blah bonds
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Dolemite wrote:blah blah bonds
ESPN wrote:blah blah steroids
Selig wrote:blah blah yay :(
WordUpThome wrote:HEY GUYS ITS MY 20
WordUpThome wrote:200TH STRIKEOUT
ESPN wrote:blah blah mancrush on bonds for the next 24 hours and then back to STEROIDS
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

SO DID U GUYZ C MY HOMR LAST NITE!?!?!!?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
The Time Keeper
Auron

Steroid McBlooddoper wrote:SO DID U GUYZ C MY HOMR LAST NITE!?!?!!?
hi barry nice dinger
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

WordUpThome wrote:HEY GUYS ITS MY 20
WordUpThome wrote:200TH STRIKEOUT
200th?
ESPN wrote:blah blah mancrush on bonds for the next 24 hours and then back to STEROIDS
[/quote]

Tell me about it ..... they went from roidsroidsroidsroids to deification in about 15 minutes

I wonder if OJ came out and broke Bonds' record if that would rehabilitate him?
Diet Chuck
Lulu

Post by Diet Chuck »

AL EAST: Red Sox
AL CENTRAL: Tigers
AL WEST: LOS ANGELES ANGELS OF ANAHEIM (CHONEEE FIGGINNNNSSS)
AL WC: Yankees

NL EAST: Braves
NL CENTRAL: Cardinals
NL WEST: Diamondbacks
NL WC: Mets

AL Batting champ: CHONE FIGGINS
AL Cy young: Erik Bedard

NL Batting champ: pfftttt
NL cy young: Jake Peavy

AL rookie of year: Dice K
NL rookie of year: Ryan Braun

World series: Angels v Braves
Angels win in four

MVP: chone figgins
Mohit Iyyer
TJ 2008, WUSTL 2012
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Diet Chuck wrote:NL CENTRAL: Cardinals
pfft ahahahaaa
Diet Chuck
Lulu

Post by Diet Chuck »

Yeah yo cubs suck without soriano, brewers have been sucking for a long time now and braun can't save them. cardinals are 5 back or something but they look good now. although in the end it doesn't matter because that whole division can't even compete with like the nationals (doin good now)
Mohit Iyyer
TJ 2008, WUSTL 2012