Full Announcement: ACF Fall 2007

Old college threads.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Full Announcement: ACF Fall 2007

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

This is the announcement for ACF Fall 2007. ACF Fall will be held on the weekend of Saturday, November 3, 2007. Hosts have the option to run the tournament on Sunday, November 4 instead of Saturday if football, other tournaments, or other conflicts make doing so preferable. Date announcements from each host will follow once host bids are awarded.

On that note, please mail Eric Kwartler at ekwartler at gmail dot com if you are interested in hosting. As always, we are looking for hosts in every region of the United States and Canada where active quizbowl teams exist. Please get your host bids in ASAP so that we may announce the hosting lineup sooner rather than later.

GENERAL PRINCIPLES FOR WRITING ACF FALL PACKETS

ACF Fall is designed to be a very accessible tournament and an enjoyable introduction to the game for newer players. To help meet this goal, packet writers should keep question difficulty low and question quality high. An ideal packet in terms of question difficulty, question structure, and formatting may be found at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/acf-model.doc . Consult this packet for all your questions about formatting, and feel free to contact Eric Kwartler if any of your questions remain unanswered. For question structure: note the dense, specific, helpful clues packed into each question, the structuring of each bonus to give 10 points to all teams, 20 to many, and 30 to the best, and the selection of widely known tossup answers with many interesting and useful clues available. For this tournament, always err on the side of easier if you are unsure about the difficulty of a particular question.

Another rule that we’re making this year:

There will be a hard cap on question length at 6 lines. This is in 10 pt Times New Roman font with 1 inch margins. Do not write questions longer than this. If you do, they will be cut down to size with a large frown in your general direction from the editing staff.

You may also find it useful to review Subash Maddipotti's Ten Tips For Question Writing, located at http://acf-quizbowl.com/documents/subash.php, as well as Jerry’s “How to Write Questions,â€
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

In case anyone's unclear as to what Social Science encompasses, this is from ACF Regionals 2007's announcement:
Social science includes but is not limited to psychology, economics, anthropology, sociology, law, linguistics, and archeology.
Also, I'll be more than happy to provide editing feedback on questions that I edit. Those will be visual fine arts (painting, sculpture, and architecture) and social science. Happy writing!

Andrew Hart,
ACF Fall 2007 category editor
miamiqb
Lulu

Post by miamiqb »

Also for science questions try to avoid answers that are people; let's not play "Name that scientist".

Jay Sridhar
ACF Fall 2007 Bio/Chem Editor
I like to eat peanut butter
bigdogstalfos
Lulu

Post by bigdogstalfos »

The only thing I have to add is for history, try to mix up what types of history you write about (political, social, economic, etc.). Variety is the spice of life.

Patrick Hope
ACF Fall 2007 Editor, US/British History (aka History of the English-Speaking Peoples)
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I'm not an editor, but I'll be updating the formatting guidelines on the ACF webpage soon, so if this is a source of confusion, all your formatting questions will soon be answered.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

I'm seeing lots of discount/penalty info, but no base fee. Will that be different at each site?
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

miamiqb wrote:Also for science questions try to avoid answers that are people; let's not play "Name that scientist".

Jay Sridhar
What about questions about people who have lots of important things named for them? I tend to enjoy those.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

ToStrikeInfinitely wrote:
miamiqb wrote:Also for science questions try to avoid answers that are people; let's not play "Name that scientist".

Jay Sridhar
What about questions about people who have lots of important things named for them? I tend to enjoy those.
I think those are fine. Just avoid the random biographical clues that have no scientific relevance.
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

ToStrikeInfinitely wrote:

Jay Sridhar
There are limits on those, and even then those questions tend to be gimmicky because the answer space reduces quickly to "people who have a lot of things named after them". You can only write on Langerhans, Malpighi, or Cajal a limited number of times =).
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

cornfused wrote:I'm seeing lots of discount/penalty info, but no base fee. Will that be different at each site?
Yes, it is the host's choice. I don't want to make a public suggestion, as hosts might then feel obligated to use that as their base fee.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Ready to announce the hosts, or at least some of them?
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Here are the schools that have thusfar committed to hosting ACF Fall 2007:

Northeast: MIT

Mid-Atlantic: VCU

Midwest: UIUC

Southeast: Shorter College

Southwest: Somewhere in Dallas, Chris Romero is in charge.

North: University of Minnesota

We're still waiting on confirmation from our West Coast host. We do not have hosts in the Pacific Northwest or in the Great Lakes/Eastern Canada region, so if there is sufficient demand for sites in those regions (or any others not sufficiently covered by the list above) please post here or let me know by email at ekwartler at gmail dot com. Each individual host will be announcing their site soon.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Good to see VCU still hosting tournaments after Weiner's departure from the school. Maryland should be bringing two-ish teams to the tournament.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

Truman will be bringing at least one team to the UIUC location.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Steroid McBlooddoper wrote:Good to see VCU still hosting tournaments after Weiner's departure from the school. Maryland should be bringing two-ish teams to the tournament.
Yeah William & Mary will bring some number of teams, probably 1-5 depending on how the corral of recruits pans out and how many drivers we can get.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Wall of Shawarma wrote:
Steroid McBlooddoper wrote:Good to see VCU still hosting tournaments after Weiner's departure from the school. Maryland should be bringing two-ish teams to the tournament.
Yeah William & Mary will bring some number of teams, probably 1-5 depending on how the corral of recruits pans out and how many drivers we can get.
I look forward to a good showing from W&M E.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Lawrence will be bringing a team to the UIUC location. By which I mean, um, I'm going to show up.
MiltonPlayer47
Wakka

Post by MiltonPlayer47 »

cornfused wrote:Lawrence will be bringing a team to the UIUC location. By which I mean, um, I'm going to show up.
I think that counts as a whole team :)
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

It has now been confirmed that Stanford will be the West Coast host.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

I'd like to applaud Jay for his almost instantaneous feedback.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

MiltonPlayer47 wrote:
cornfused wrote:Lawrence will be bringing a team to the UIUC location. By which I mean, um, I'm going to show up.
I think that counts as a whole team :)
From Lawrence, it does.
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Notre Dame would like to bring a team to UIUC. However, November 3rd is the day of the Notre Dame - Navy game. The only way we would be able to attend is if the date was moved to Sunday. Can anyone tell me the probablility of this occurring?
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

i'm guessing slim to none ??

you guys have to be there for the ND-Navy game or risk social ostracism or are there team members or band members or what ?

it might actually be a contest this year .... that was slightly embarrassing against georgia tech
millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

3D Lemmings wrote:Notre Dame would like to bring a team to UIUC. However, November 3rd is the day of the Notre Dame - Navy game. The only way we would be able to attend is if the date was moved to Sunday. Can anyone tell me the probablility of this occurring?
Hey -

It's great to hear you guys are interested, but I think the chances are pretty much nil that we can change the date. If that changes, I or the TD will let you know by e-mail.

However, if I may, I couldn't help but notice that on October 6, Notre Dame is playing an away game. The Early Fall Tournament, which promises to be excellent this year (and is about that difficulty), is going to be held in Chicago on that date. If you were planning on going to ACF Fall and can't, EFT would be quite an alternative.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

Chicago is planning on sending at least two teams to the UIUC site. Also for the Notre Dame people, if you are interested in EFT please email me at [email protected].
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Valencia Community College in Orlando will also host ACF Fall this year. Details will be posted soon by Chris Borglum.
Eric Kwartler
Alumnus, University of Texas School of Law
wwellington
Wakka

Post by wwellington »

Did someone from VCU post more specific information and I missed it, or are we still waiting on that?
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Still waiting. If you have any immediate questions, you can contact me, but there will be a full announcement with registration instructions from a current team member once they can reserve rooms (which will be about a week from now, due to university procedures).

I guess the most important thing to know right now is that the VCU site will be running the tournament on Saturday, Nov 3.
wwellington
Wakka

Post by wwellington »

Good to know. Just wanted to know if we could register yet; I can wait until whenever the announcement's made.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Just to let everyone know, I am willing to grant packet amnesty to teams who under the rules are obligated to write a packet. The amnesty fee will be $75. If you don't submit a packet by this weekend or give me a good excuse as to why you haven't, you will not be allowed to play unless you pay this fee.

Edit: You should also know that one of the sites is being delayed by a week due to logistical concerns. This means discussion of specific questions from the ACF Fall set will have to be postponed until the night of November 11th.
Eric Kwartler
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

The tournament has concluded, so feel free to discuss the questions in the Fall discussion thread. We should applaud the editors for a job that I think overall was well done. Special thanks go out to Matt Weiner, who went above and beyond to help us finish the set on time despite not being officially involved with the tournament, Mike Sorice, Andrew Hart, Dennis Jang, and Jonathan Magin, all of whom spent a shitload of time compiling, checking, and preparing the set the few days before it was to be read. Oh, and thanks to Ryan Westbrook for writing the bulk of the geography in the tournament.
Eric Kwartler