2008 PACE NSC (yes, I said 2008)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

Which weekend works best for the 2008 PACE NSC?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:00 am

May 31-June 1 weekend
55%
June 14-15 weekend
45%

Total votes: 31

First Chairman
Auron

2008 PACE NSC (yes, I said 2008)

Post by First Chairman »

I am in the process of selecting the weekend for the 2008 tournament and want some feedback on this. If we were to hold on the analogous weekend next year, it will coincide with Celebrate Fairfax, a three-day festival. The question is whether I think this will help or hurt parking or recruitment to our event.

Yes, there's also the high school graduation calendar too. :)
Last edited by First Chairman on Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

Where will it be (GMU?) and what are the dates available?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Fairfax, VA. June 7 or June 14 weekends.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

E.T. Chuck wrote:Fairfax, VA. June 7 or June 14 weekends.
I vote June 7.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

TJ's is pretty much the only graduation in FCPS to take place on a Saturday night, and odds are good it will be scheduled for June 14 next year. On behalf of the current juniors on my team, I vote June 7, just so they don't have to play playoff rounds after a sleepless night at the grad party.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

I feel like we have had better response when we have been able to schedule NSC earlier rather than later, on the whole, not to mention some possible concerns addressed by others about it being on Father's Day weekend. So I personally would prefer June 7-8.

When is Panasonic for 2008? Let's make sure there isn't a conflict with them either.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I don't have my 2000-2020 calendar which at least has many of those dates highlighted as Peggy has told me every year. Otherwise, I'm sure she'll tell you when you get there next month.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Is George Mason definitely the host? Would it be possible to host it at the Arlington Campus so the teams could stay closer to the city? Although, the Fairfax Campus is on the Metro...
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Gosh... that would involve... lawyers! Let me see...
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Also to warn everyone ahead of time, the dates for the 2008 NSC will tentatively be

May 31-June 1
or
June 14-15

Why: Panasonic is scheduled for June 7-10, 2008.
Last edited by First Chairman on Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

You know, if NAQT sticks with Memorial Day weekend for next year, there is the option of doing May 31-June 1. Just a thought that I'm interested in what people's opinions would be.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Byko wrote:You know, if NAQT sticks with Memorial Day weekend for next year, there is the option of doing May 31-June 1. Just a thought that I'm interested in what people's opinions would be.
May 31-June 1 would be SOOOO much better. The father's day thing is a deal breaker.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Yeah I'll try to volunteer for PACE next year, so for those purposes May 31-June 1 would be a lot better for me (sounds like that's easier for TJ too).
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I'll look into that May/June date. Of course, I can't put my hopes on weather like what we're experiencing in DC this late in the month. But we would likely be going head-to-head against the Marymount QU subregional. Should I be concerned about this? (Apparently not from the usual clients we get.)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

I'll tentatively volunteer for next year- tentative because I don't have transportation, and I'm in Indiana. Obviously I'll be able to tell you with more certainty as we get closer.
mhanna
Lulu

Post by mhanna »

We haven't been to PACE in a while, but May 31-June 1, takes us out of consideration because of graduation and underclassmen exams.

Mac Hanna
Aiken
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Wall of Shawarma wrote:Yeah I'll try to volunteer for PACE next year, so for those purposes May 31-June 1 would be a lot better for me (sounds like that's easier for TJ too).
Isn't ARML going to be a conflict? AFAIK, It always has been hosted on the first weekend in June (i.e. it might be May 31-June 1)... However, i don't know how many Quizbowlers actually participate in ARML, so it might not be a big conflict after all.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Djibouti
Wakka

Post by Djibouti »

May 31-June 1 would conflict with Perry Hall's graduation, although who knows whether we qualify next year (losing three Senior leaders... but who knows, if we get our "top recruits" and work hard, we should be okay with Nithin and friends at the helm).

NOTE: We're kind of new to the toss-up/bonus style of tournaments (2 years), but we're working to make a habit of success, as our past two solid years have coincided with the first two years of Coach Geibel.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

A non-binding poll as been added to the top of the thread. There are certainly a lot of arguments being made for June 1, but I want to hear from those programs who have been to the NSC at least in the last three years. Certainly I want to hear from everyone who hasn't been but wanted to attend.

Again, this poll is simply for sample purposes and will not decide when the NSC will be held.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

New Trier's graduation will be June 1st. I can't promise we'll be there on any weekend, but the odds go down if it's May 31-June 1.
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Seton Hall Prep

Post by SHP Pirate »

Dr. Chuck,

It was great to finally meet the man behind the moniker in DC last weekend! As I said to both you and David, SHP would love to attend next year. We would prefer the June 14-15 weekend as we will be graduating the first weekend in June.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

The earlier the better. June 1 weekend would work best for us IF we could do two tournaments next year. Our school ends on May 22 and graduation will be May 21 in 2008.

Any double digit day in June is simply too late for us. Going to Nationals three weeks after school is out is problematic for Brookwood and probably several other schools with similar schedules. If NAQT was Memorial Day weekend and PACE was the next weekend, we could consider doing both.
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

Gonzaga would probably not be able to attend if it was June 1st because that is our graduation weekend.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Of course, if it's in the DC area... hmm... :wink:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

Well Gonzaga may be able to attend, but most of Sunday would be ruled out. We'll have two seniors on the team next year and they/we should be able to make part of Sunday, assuming we would make the playoffs. Call for seniors at school would be at roughly 11 am, so we would be able to stay until maybe 10am sunday morning. The weekend of the 13-15 is much more preferible, though.
dschafer
Rikku

Post by dschafer »

gkandlikar wrote:
Wall of Shawarma wrote:Yeah I'll try to volunteer for PACE next year, so for those purposes May 31-June 1 would be a lot better for me (sounds like that's easier for TJ too).
Isn't ARML going to be a conflict? AFAIK, It always has been hosted on the first weekend in June (i.e. it might be May 31-June 1)... However, i don't know how many Quizbowlers actually participate in ARML, so it might not be a big conflict after all.
Sorry for the late reply to this post, but:

ARML has been first weekend of June for at least the last four years, and quizbowlers do participate in it, but I don't think there is a huge overlap between ARML and quizbowl. While it would be nice to avoid having a national tournament on that weekend, there just don't seem to be enough weekends in June to ensure that nobody has a conflict.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

idk if this is a good place to mention this or not but Truman State's "Almost Dewey" State Invitational is on October 13 and will be one of the first qualifiers for the NSC. If any teams from Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, or Minnesota... or anyone willing to come to Kirksville are interested, more info is available in the tournament announcement.

*sorry for the shameless plug*
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Please come people!!! There's really no competition for us otherwise, except maybe Savannah.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:Please come people!!! There's really no competition for us otherwise, except maybe Savannah.
Sorry--I've used up all of my eligibility. :wink:

In all seriousness, though, I'll second Charlie, especially with it being a PACE qualifier (and probably the first chance to qualify in Missouri, which is now a requirement to attend nationals).
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I'll say too that I have a lot of respect for Kent's question writing skills, so it should be a very good tournament.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White