2007 PACE NSC prognostication thread

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
First Chairman
Auron

2007 PACE NSC prognostication thread

Post by First Chairman »

The goal is to finish in the top 3 in your division for championship play on Sunday. Here is the link to the prelim schedule. All rooms are in Mason Hall, but I would like to assign them when we're there.

And to remind everyone, the 12 teams in the top bracket will be reshuffled into the two six-team quarterfinal divisions before single-elimination semifinals of the top 2 from each playoff group. The arrangement of who goes into which playoff group is not absolutely fixed, though we deliberately avoid rematches between the top 2 in each prelim group.
Last edited by First Chairman on Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Tom, you'll have to adjust the schedule slightly. You misspelled Berenson (not Berensen).
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

The preliminary round pools are now posted on the PACE website.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Yea, certainly they are all brackets of death.

Eric
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

In my opinion, the Yost Division will end up being the hardest. Having Moravian, MLK, Eden Prairie, and TJ B in the same bracket will be interesting.(All were among the tied for 13th at the HSNCT)
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Kind of sad that of the four teams Brindlee Mountain, Gonzaga, New Trier and Maggie Walker, one won't make the playoffs. Same with Moravian, MLK, Eden Prairie, and TJ B, which I agree is the hardest.
Djibouti
Wakka

Post by Djibouti »

Personally, while the Yost Bracket should be the most interesting bracket (four NAQT 13T teams), I see the Schembechler division as the hardest (TJ A - 3, Dorman - 4, DCC A - 8T, State College B - 21T, Brindlee Mountain B - 21T). It will certainly be interesting to see who emerges atop the Yost bracket. And as said, it is a National Championship, so all brackets will be loaded.

EDITED to reflect that State College B and Brindlee Mountain B actually finished tied for 21st at NAQT's National Championship.
Last edited by Djibouti on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

State College B and Brindlee Mtn B tied for 21st, I thought. Actually, I know BM was.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Djibouti
Wakka

Post by Djibouti »

Yeah, you're right. Still, a bracket with TJ, Dorman, and DCC and two 21T teams is very strong. I stand by what I said earlier, but the Yost division, with four teams that tied for 13th at NAQT, will be very strong as well. Not that I'd expect anything else from a National Scholastic Championship.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

After Brindlee Mountain B upset Brindlee Mountain A at NAQT, there has been a roster change. So, BMHS A should be a stronger team than they were at the HSNCT. Consequently, BMHS B will be a weaker (but still competitive team). I DON'T think BMHS B will be able to make the playoffs in that pool... But, I also didn't think BMHS B would beat BMHS A, either.

Last year the top 4 from each pool made the playoffs, but there were only 3 pools. It's going to be tough this year for sure. The pool with BMHS A, Gonzaga, Maggie Walker A, and New Trier has several teams that didn't attend the HSNCT, so I know little or nothing about them.
First Chairman
Auron

Files to download for NSC

Post by First Chairman »

Links to various files to download... available for a week.

Detailed NSC Rules 2007: http://senduit.com/991e39 or http://www.pace-nsc.org/rules2007.pdf

PACE NSC 2007 Rosters (updated): http://senduit.com/9ef365

PACE NSC 2007 Scoresheet (updated): http://senduit.com/4678b7

PACE NSC 2007 Program Booklet (updated): http://senduit.com/32bd30
Last edited by First Chairman on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Hm, my name is printed as "Eric" in the PACE history thing on page 12 of the program. I also had no idea I was a "young crusader"...didn't think Jews were allowed to crusade.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Thanks for catching that. At least I haven't sent this to photocopy yet. Corrected booklet link: http://senduit.com/32bd30 .
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
sabine01
Tidus

Post by sabine01 »

BuzzerZen wrote:Hm, my name is printed as "Eric" in the PACE history thing on page 12 of the program. I also had no idea I was a "young crusader"...didn't think Jews were allowed to crusade.
Oy! *smiles*

Historically, "Young Ambassador" and "Young Crusader" have been used interchangeably to refer to the recipient of that particular Cooper award. No offense intended there (if any was taken, I apologize..)

~T~
Last edited by sabine01 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tricia Southard Greenstein, MLS
Furman '01 | GWU Staff | Maryland '10

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

None taken, of course. I'm just bemused. :-)
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

sabine01
Tidus

Post by sabine01 »

BuzzerZen wrote:None taken, of course. I'm just bemused. :-)
Definitely do see the irony in that matchup though... *lol* Just making sure...
Tricia Southard Greenstein, MLS
Furman '01 | GWU Staff | Maryland '10

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Well, rest assured, we still keep "Young Ambassador" on the plaque. :grin:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Kechara
Wakka

Post by Kechara »

sabine01 wrote: Historically, "Young Ambassador" and "Young Crusader" have been used interchangeably to refer to the recipient of that particular Cooper award.
Who the heck started that? When Tom and I came up with the idea, it was the "young" version of the regular Cooper, and the regular Cooper doesn't get called a "crusader"...
Jessie Francis

"Bubbles up"
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Thread hijack +1 for me...

Getting back to prognosticating, I prognosticate that the most likely division winners are Gov, State College, MLK, and either us or Dorman. (Don't care to jinx that one.) I think though that if Doug manages to cool down on the negs a bit, Stuy has a chance to beat State College, especially since Barry and Francois are going to be MIA this weekend. Anyway, I'm excited.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

porcupine
Lulu

Post by porcupine »

I think that we (East Lansing) got lucky in the divisions. State College, Styvesant, and Garfield Heights are solid, but the other divisons are all significantly harder. The only problem is that there are a whole bunch of teams that weren't at Chicago, so there's always the chance that one of them turns up really strong.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

porcupine wrote:I think that we (East Lansing) got lucky in the divisions. State College, Styvesant, and Garfield Heights are solid, but the other divisons are all significantly harder. The only problem is that there are a whole bunch of teams that weren't at Chicago, so there's always the chance that one of them turns up really strong.
I'm glad you said that. I didn't want to be the first to point out that one pool (yours) seemed a little less intense than the others.
mistermoravian
Lulu

Post by mistermoravian »

I'm glad that others have recognized the beastliness that is Yost! It's a darn shame that only three teams per grouping can qualify for the playoffs.

If anyone from MLK, TJ B, or Eden Prairie is lurking on this thread, be assured that our team (Moravian) hasn't practiced together AT ALL since NAQT HSNCT! Our two sophomores had finals galore (that's how my 5 APs/$415 of misery paid off), and our token senior was preoccupied with graduation plans.

Thanks to fifty dollars' worth of questions that I spontaneously purchased in Chicago, I've tried to improve as an individual, though... :cool:
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

BuzzerZen wrote:None taken, of course. I'm just bemused. :-)
I'm not offended, either.

Eric
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Kechara wrote:
sabine01 wrote: Historically, "Young Ambassador" and "Young Crusader" have been used interchangeably to refer to the recipient of that particular Cooper award.
Who the heck started that? When Tom and I came up with the idea, it was the "young" version of the regular Cooper, and the regular Cooper doesn't get called a "crusader"...
Right. The Ambassador is more of a "lifetime achievement award" while the Crusader is more of a "young advocate award." We wanted to find a way to recognize "younger" people for what they have done for the circuit.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
killbill_07
Lulu

Post by killbill_07 »

I personally think that the Berenson division is a lot stronger than the Yost Division. There are absolutely no B teams at all in this division(obviously some schools have beastly B teams like TJ but still) and having to upset Maggie Walker A, New Trier, and Gonzaga is an extremely daunting task for all the other teams in the Berenson division.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

killbill_07 wrote:I personally think that the Berenson division is a lot stronger than the Yost Division. There are absolutely no B teams at all in this division(obviously some schools have beastly B teams like TJ but still) and having to upset Maggie Walker A, New Trier, and Gonzaga is an extremely daunting task for all the other teams in the Berenson division.
I also believe that the Berenson division is the toughest. It'll be a challenge. Hopefully we'll be up to it.
Djibouti
Wakka

Post by Djibouti »

I personally think that the Berenson division is a lot stronger than the Yost Division. There are absolutely no B teams at all in this division(obviously some schools have beastly B teams like TJ but still) and having to upset Maggie Walker A, New Trier, and Gonzaga is an extremely daunting task for all the other teams in the Berenson division.
I have Berenson as the best bracket top to bottom, Schembechler as the most loaded bracket, and Yost as a close second for the hardest (which may or may not make any sense). Still, in any bracket, having to upset Maggie Walker A, New Trier, and Gonzaga; State College, Stuyvesant, and East Lansing; TJ A, Dorman, and DCC A; and Eden Prairie, Moravian, TJ B, and MLK Magnet is an extremely daunting task. In Yost, a team could potentially beat one of the "powerful four" and still not make the playoffs. Then again, a team could beat Brindlee Mountain A/B and still not make the playoffs. It's a national championship, and as such, a team will be challenged for most every win. The Crisler Division, which everyone seems to agree is the easiest, still has State College (#2 at NAQT, and although missing two of their top two players, still reload from a loaded "B" team), Stuyvesant (13T), East Lansing (13T), Maggie Walker B (33T), and Garfield Heights (49T). And all divisions feature strong teams that did not go to NAQT Nationals (Perry Hall hopefully being one of them, knock on wood).

Analysis aside, as a member of Perry Hall's contingent, I'm looking forward to arriving in Ann Arbor tomorrow to compete in our school's (heck our county's, heck any non-PG, Howard, Montgomery county's) first national championship. It will be a challenge, but one to which I definitely look forward.
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

Djibouti wrote:Analysis aside, as a member of Perry Hall's contingent, I'm looking forward to arriving in Ann Arbor tomorrow to compete in our school's (heck our county's, heck any non-PG, Howard, Montgomery county's) first national championship. It will be a challenge, but one to which I definitely look forward.
It's our first as well, and we're in your pool. Should be a tough task playing those teams; we're looking forward to the challenge.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

I predict thus:
Berenson: Gov, New Trier, Gonzaga
Crisler: State College, East Lansing, Stuyvesant
Schembechler: Dorman, TJA, DCC
Yost: MLK, Eden Prairie, TJB
in that particular order.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, though. I'm looking forward to see a lot of upsets.
mistermoravian
Lulu

Post by mistermoravian »

Oof, denied! :roll:

(I'd probably make the same prediction if I weren't so biased!)
Djibouti
Wakka

Post by Djibouti »

I predict thus:
Berenson: Gov, New Trier, Gonzaga
Crisler: State College, East Lansing, Stuyvesant
Schembechler: Dorman, TJA, DCC
in that particular order.

I'm hoping I'm wrong, though. I'm looking forward to see a lot of upsets.
I'll boldy predict Gonzaga beats Maggie Walker in the prelims (what's the fun in predicting everything to go by order?), although Maggie Walker will win it all. Otherwise, I agree with the above predictions, although I too hope they are wrong, and I think Moravian could definitely play itself into the playoffs. Yost is going to be interesting, because I foresee the top 4-5 beating each other, causing a fun tiebreaker situation and 1-2 of those teams, after winning one of those matches, finding itself on the outside of the Championship Playoffs.
porcupine
Lulu

Post by porcupine »

I agree with what has been said with a couple of exceptions. I think that Moravian will be in the top 3 in Yost and that Garfield Heights will beat Stuyvesant in Crisler, primarily because those teams can have a lot of potential on more difficult questions.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Thanks for the faith in us... although Stuy beat the crap out of us at HSNCT... so I dunno.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Keep in mind TJ B isn't at full strength either. Naren, Michael and the Fans aren't there which leave a lot of gaps to fill.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Where have all the live updates gone?
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

In my bracket MLW A was in 1st, Gonzaga 2nd and New Trier 3rd. Yeah that's not really much info
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

That's enough info for me. Thanks.