RESULTS: Sun 'n Fun Mirror @ UMD, 7/1/07

Old college threads.
Mike Bentley
Sin

RESULTS: Sun 'n Fun Mirror @ UMD, 7/1/07

Post by Mike Bentley »

Half the Sun, Twice the Pun

The University of Maryland’s Mirror of Sun ‘n Fun VIII and 1/2: Fewer Ns Better Qs

Sunday, July 1st, 2007

PLEASE SEE SUBSEQUENT POSTS IN THIS THREAD FOR UPDATED INFORMATION ON THE TOURNAMENT.

ANNOUNCMENT:

The Maryland Academic Quiz Team is pleased to announce that it will be holding a mirror of USF’s Sun ‘n Fun VIII and 1/2 Tournament on Sunday, July 1st, 2007. We are not so cleverly calling this mirror “Half the Sun, Twice the Pun”. This will be taking place one day after our HSNCT mirror.

This is a college level tournament, somewhere between ACF Fall and ACF Regionals level difficulty. However, the tournament will be open to all players. This includes players currently enrolled in college or high school, as well as any player who is not currently affiliated with any academic institution. Any team attending this tournament is encouraged to submit a packet as soon as possible to make the life of the editors easier.

Since this tournament is taking place a week before the actual USF tournament, we ask that teams refrain from publicly discussing the questions until USF’s event takes place.

PRICING (Updated 5/13/07):

+$100 – Base fee per team.
-$10 – Discount for each additional team from a school.
-$50 – Packet submitted to aragab at mail dot usf dot edu by May 15th.
-$40 - Packet submitted to aragab at mail dot usf dot edu by May 25th.
-$25 – Packet submitted to aragab at mail dot usf dot edu by June 2nd.
-$10 – Packet submitted to aragab at mail dot usf dot edu by June 7th.
-$15 - (NEW) Half packet submitted by June 22nd.
-$30 - (NEW) Full packet submitted by June 22nd.
+- $0 - No packet submitted (please inform me immediately if you are not submitting a packet).
-$5 – Per working buzzer system per school.
-$10 – Travel discount per team traveling over 250 miles one way to the tournament as judged by MapQuest. Further travel discounts are negotiable.
-$10 – Per competent moderator per school.
-$25 - High School Team Discount

Minimum Fee Per Team: $35.

Please see the Sun ‘n Fun announcement at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3957 for details on the packet distribution and formatting.

Also, please contact me, Mike Bentley, at [email protected] with a copy of your packet when you submit it to USF so I can give you the appropriate discount.

REGISTERING:

To register, please contact me, Mike Bentley, at [email protected] with your name, your team’s name, the number of teams you’re bringing, whether you plan to write a packet or not (and by what date), and any other discounts you think that you qualify for.

LUNCH, LODGING, DIRECTIONS, ETC.:

Lodging details will be posted soon. If you need to book a motel right away, search for motels on Route 1 in College Park, MD. Directions to campus can be found on the university’s website at http://www.umd.edu. You may also want to reference previous announcements such as the TRASHionals X announcement for finding places to stay.

Lunch details will be provided in the form of a handout on the day of the tournament.

More details on when and where registration will be taking place will be forthcoming.

Thanks,
Mike Bentley
President, Maryland Academic Quiz Team
Last edited by Mike Bentley on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Hey, because it wasn't clear in the original announcement, I've updated it to say that, yes, you can attend this tournament without submitting a packet (although we encourage you to do so). I've also added another deadline, May 25th, so that teams aren't as penalized by having to deal with finals in getting packets in later.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Pricing Update: We're giving a $25 discount to any high school team that wants to play in this tournament.

Field Update:
Chris Ray and Company (1)
Matt Weiner and Company (Possibly)
Brown (Very Unlikely)
Rutgers (1)
William and Mary (1 or 2)
Probable Maryland House Team (1 or 2)

I've also heard wild rumors that Harvard might be coming.

It is entirely possible that I forgot to list a few people interested in playing, so shoot me an e-mail if this is the case.
Mike Bentley
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

ikillkenny wrote:I've also heard wild rumors that Harvard might be coming.
Those must be very wild rumors, seeing how I'll be in Jordan, Julia will be in Germany, Dennis will be in China, etc., etc. Out of curiosity, who told you that?
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Kyle wrote:
ikillkenny wrote:I've also heard wild rumors that Harvard might be coming.
Those must be very wild rumors, seeing how I'll be in Jordan, Julia will be in Germany, Dennis will be in China, etc., etc. Out of curiosity, who told you that?
It may just be alums or people very loosely associated with Harvard. Talk to Chris Ray about it.
Mike Bentley
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Ooh, maybe it's Paco. He's from Maryland.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Would there be anyone interested in this tournament if we delayed it to Sunday, July 1st who wasn't already interested in it? If so, please contact me at [email protected].

If this move occurs, I would also move around the deadlines so if you got in some sort of packet by next Wednesday or so you could still get around a $25 discount.
Mike Bentley
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

IF this does move to the 1st, I'd love to join someone's team (Chris Ray, who are your purported friends? Can I be your friend?) I might even be able to write some questions in time.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

If this is on the first I'll definitely play.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

This tournament is definitely moving to the first, I just need to hear back from USF before I post a new announcement so I can figure out when is the latest they need packets by.

Expect an announcement (and field update for this and other tournaments) later today.
Mike Bentley
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

It looks like this date will increase our odds of having two teams, but it's probably going to be 1 for the HSNCT mirror.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Half the Sun, Twice the Pun has been moved from Saturday, June 23rd to Sunday, July 1st. In addition to this date change, we are now extending the discount for getting in a packet to Ahmad at USF. If you turn in a half packet by Friday, June 22nd, you’ll get a $15 discount. If you turn in a full packet by Friday, June 22nd you’ll get a $30 discount. Send them to aragab at mail dot usf dot edu (and forward them to me at [email protected] so I know you sent them in). For packet details, please see the post at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3957. If you’re writing a half packet, write 11/11 and basically halve the distribution.

Field Update:
Matt Weiner and Friends (1)
Chris Ray and Friends (1)
Gonzaga or at least some players from that team (1)
William and Mary (2)
Maryland House Team (1+)

Possible:
Rutgers
MIT

We are still accepting registrations for all of these tournaments. If you do not yet have a team, please still register and we can match you up with other freelance players. To register, please contact me at [email protected].

Remember that all of these tournaments are open to all players (whether you’re on a high school team, college team, or not on any team). When and where registration will be happening for these tournaments will be sent to teams soon.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Field Update:

Chris Ray and Friends (1)
Delaware (1)
Maryland House Teams (1 or 2)
Whitman and others (1)
Gonzaga based team (1)
Jason Keller and Friends (1)
Dan Schafer / Neel Kotra / Evan Silberman (1)

If you're not on the above list or if you're a freelance player, please contact me immediately at [email protected] so I can find a team for you. Also contact me if you need freelance players.

Registration will be taking place from 8:30 to 9:00 AM in 0105 Jimenez, the smaller of the two lecture halls in the basement. You should park in Lot 1 or Lot 7 to avoid getting a ticket. Consult http://www.parking.umd.edu/themap/ for directions.
Last edited by Mike Bentley on Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Bentley
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

ikillkenny wrote:Field Update:Gonzaga based team? Unless this is merging with Whitman’s team? (1)
We are not merging with the whitman team although all of our players will not be from gonzaga.
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

Some of these questions made my brain bleed.
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Stat Boy wrote:Some of these questions made my brain bleed.
Sorry.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

The Elders of Zion, a team consisting of Evan, Dan, Mike and Ted came out on top over Kitchen Stadium Rejects (aks Chris Ray's team) in the second half of an advantaged final.

Here are the full stats:
http://www.studentorg.umd.edu/maqt/2007 ... dings.html

Thanks to everyone who came and to USF for providing questions for this tournament.
Mike Bentley
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Some of these questions made my brain bleed.
I invoke my right to stop any "Your mom" jokes. Wait, I'd probably make the jokes.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White