UPDATED: ACF Fall Weekend at Shorter (Nov 3-4 2007)

Old college threads.
ShorterPearson
Wakka

UPDATED: ACF Fall Weekend at Shorter (Nov 3-4 2007)

Post by ShorterPearson »

(Original post preserved; please see updated information at thread's end.)

Shorter College is planning to host a CUT-style tournament using NAQT invitational series questions on the weekend of November 3, 2007. The target audience for the tournament is small four-year schools in the Southeast, particularly schools that are less experienced on the circuit and want to get more "juniorbird" style game experience. All teams are welcome, but experienced players will be treated by the CUT-style rules found
on the NAQT website:
http://www.naqt.com/hosting/cut-style.html

This is a PRELIMINARY announcement. If there are major conflicts with this date, please say so now so we can get a date agreeable to all. If you are especially interested in this date (especially if you can help out some first-time hosts as an official!), please say so with a note to [email protected] (or e-mail me personally at [email protected]). We're going to try some serious noise-making to get people at this thing who do not ordinarily play quiz bowl, so please, if you can, join us.

More information to come as soon as we figure it out.

Chuck Pearson / Shorter College

[EDIT on 22 May: As of this time, we are still intending on holding this tournament on 3 November. We are aware that this is ACF Fall weekend and we are working on a solution that would best accomodate both our tournament and ACF, and meet our primary goal of a gathering of young and new quiz bowl programs across the southeast region. As we finalize plans, we'll obviously post updates on this board.]
Last edited by ShorterPearson on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chuck Pearson
East Tennessee/Southwest Virginia quiz bowl flunky (and that won't change)
Vice President of Outreach (2018-2019), PACE (seriously, what even)
Associate Professor of Natural Science, Tusculum University (coming soon to a collegiate tournament in the Mid-South)
[email protected], @ShorterPearson where relevant
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: Shorter College NAQT/CUT-style tournament (11/03/07)

Post by Matt Weiner »

ShorterPearson wrote:This is a PRELIMINARY announcement. If there are major conflicts with this date, please say so now so we can get a date agreeable to all.
I think ACF Fall wanted that date, but you'll have to ask this year's editing team to be sure.
ShorterPearson
Wakka

Post by ShorterPearson »

(heh. zero to first roadblock in EXACTLY one minute. thanks, Matt.)
Chuck Pearson
Associate Professor of Natural Science, Tusculum University (coming soon to a collegiate tournament in the Mid-South)
jhn31
Wakka

Post by jhn31 »

Considering how the only weekend this fall that MSU doesn't have a football game is November 3, MSU is definitely interested in attending.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

ACF Fall did want the date, as I posted separately. We've been delaying the announcement pending confirmation of the dates for regionals and nationals, but it's clear that we need to make sure everyone knows that Fall will, in fact, take its traditional first weekend in November date. Dr. Pearson, if you wouldn't mind rescheduling your tournament I and the editors would be greatly appreciative. If you need any sort of help doing so, please let me know.
ShorterPearson
Wakka

Post by ShorterPearson »

In response to the above, and after consultation with Matt and Eric back-channel, the following words o' wisdom:

- We are going to make every effort to look at alternate dates. (I know I'm new at this tournament-director business, and I need to hear if I'm stomping on someone else.) I want to be sure that we serve all parties maximally.

That said, November 3 was far and away our top possibility, and...

- R Hentzel has already announced Tartan Tussle II at Malacaster as an "ultra-juniorbird" tournament, for "entirely new teams, community college teams, local CBI-only teams, and the greenest of players from established programs." That's the general spirit I have for this tournament as well. My primary goal with this tournament is to meet the needs of young programs like Shorter's, in ways that ACF Fall wouldn't serve well.

If we stick with the November 3 date, I'll simply ask programs to honor that distinction. We're trying to bring young, small and new programs out of the woodwork; if you fit that description, please join us. If you're an established team or a big-school team, please play ACF Fall. I honestly do hope to take a team to ACF Fall in a future season; however, right now, hosting a tournament of this sort will be more helpful for us.

Thanks to all for your feedback.
Chuck Pearson
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I have no idea what's going on in the last two posts, but I just wanted to note that while Shorter had no way of knowing what date ACF Fall was thinking of announcing for, R was in fact informed of the 11/3 plan weeks ago and should have known better than to announce his tournament for that date. NAQT's constant, divisive effort to undercut other tournaments on both the collegiate and high school levels should not be taken as a sign by independent tournament directors that it's okay to follow their lead.

May I suggest that Shorter and the Fall editors mull over the possibility of hosting Fall at Shorter on the Sunday following their other tournament, so that teams can go to one or both, as they prefer, with a minimum of inconvenience?
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Matt Weiner wrote:I have no idea what's going on in the last two posts, but I just wanted to note that while Shorter had no way of knowing what date ACF Fall was thinking of announcing for, R was in fact informed of the 11/3 plan weeks ago and should have known better than to announce his tournament for that date. NAQT's constant, divisive effort to undercut other tournaments on both the collegiate and high school levels should not be taken as a sign by independent tournament directors that it's okay to follow their lead.

May I suggest that Shorter and the Fall editors mull over the possibility of hosting Fall at Shorter on the Sunday following their other tournament, so that teams can go to one or both, as they prefer, with a minimum of inconvenience?
Unless someone who isn't me spoke to R. about our date plan weeks before the announcement, I don't know what you're talking about. In fact, I told you, Matt Weiner, personally that R. had the date set in February. I spoke to R. I think a day before or the day of (but before) his announcement. I asked him about it and he provided adequate evidence that he had the date not only chosen but announced to some teams long before I spoke to him. NAQT is not trying to undercut ACF Fall, stop saying things that aren't true and just serve to make you look like an asshole. Seriously, stop that.

As to Shorter hosting Fall on Sunday, if they want to arrange that then that's a possibility. If not, so be it.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Upon further review, it looks like I misinterpreted some info about who had claimed what dates, so I will retract what I said about the scheduling of the Minnesota-area high school question shindig above. I'm still a little puzzled about why certain other NAQT events had to be on certain dates, but that's for another time.
ShorterPearson
Wakka

Post by ShorterPearson »

First: MANY thanks to Eric Kwartler for his help and cooperation over the course of the past couple of months. It's been absolutely invaluable. (And, as we piece together the details, it will continue to be so. Eric, that's a hint.)

As was announced yesterday, Shorter College will be hosting ACF Fall in addition to running the NAQT/CUT-style tournament we announced back in May. The NAQT/CUT-style will be on Saturday, November 3; ACF Fall will be on Sunday, November 4.

We invite teams to come and play both tournaments and make a weekend of Rome, GA; but we (obviously) will run both tournaments separately, and will post a separate fee schedule for each tournament shortly.

Please stand by. :)

Chuck Pearson / Shorter College
Chuck Pearson