Leisure time in Chicago

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Leisure time in Chicago

Post by BuzzerZen »

After two HSNCTs spent entirely on the sweltering asphalt island of Rosemont, Ill., gazing forlornly at the distant skyline from the hotel window, we're finally going to be staying Sunday night in order to spend time in Chicago on Monday. [Edit: actually, we're instead going to arrive earlier on Friday, which is still good.] We're going to the Art Institute, which will be featuring what looks to be a really cool exhibition on modern typography (this actually excites me; I'm a nerd). What are other teams doing?
Last edited by BuzzerZen on Tue May 01, 2007 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
wasprsilds
Lulu

Post by wasprsilds »

I won't be going to Chicago, but I have gone there for conventions in the past. I would defiently say the #1 place to go would be the Museum of Science and Industry (http://www.msichicago.org/). It's easily one of the best museums I have been to...where else can you tour the inside of a captured German submarine?

If your team is looking for a nice place to eat, the Grand Lux Cafe is amazing. Too bad the HSNCT isn't during the Taste of Chicago.
Last edited by wasprsilds on Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

Stuyvesant wasn't planning on doing much, though we'll probably run off somewhere at the last minute. I'd love to check out the Art Institute myself, probably visit some used bookstores (first thing I do in a new city) and perhaps sniff out a Mexican restaurant superior to that dump in Rosemont. Now that would be a worthwhile expedition.
Doug
Brandeis '17
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

dyetman89 wrote:...perhaps sniff out a Mexican restaurant superior to that dump in Rosemont. Now that would be a worthwhile expedition.
I don't recommend this. Last year, at least two of our team members got food poisoning at one near the hotel. I don't remember the name, but I think we've introduced a ban on all such restaurants the night before big tournaments.
Djibouti
Wakka

Post by Djibouti »

Just came back from Chicago (International Bridge Building Contest - anyone else?). The view from atop the Sears Tower is awesome (30+ miles visibility), although I love structures, so that really interested me. Apparently the Field Museum is also something for Chicagoans.
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

Lapego1 wrote:
dyetman89 wrote:...perhaps sniff out a Mexican restaurant superior to that dump in Rosemont. Now that would be a worthwhile expedition.
I don't recommend this. Last year, at least two of our team members got food poisoning at one near the hotel. I don't remember the name, but I think we've introduced a ban on all such restaurants the night before big tournaments.
I wouldn't recommend it on Friday night, but Saturday would be an good time to wander over South Side (better food than North, in my experience) for some good nosh. Don't judge all places on one experience, but sometimes you do have to be careful. Still, nobody wants to get stuck eating hotel food for three days.

Try Gino's East Pizza or Pizzeria Uno in downtown if you've never had true Chicago deep dish. It's amazing.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
e_steinhauser
Lulu

Post by e_steinhauser »

I'll second the suggestion about the Art Institute. My wife and I spent most of the Friday before the tournament looking around last year, and it was an absolute treat.

Assuming we get the chance, we'll probably hit the Shedd Aquarium this year. Several friends who grew up in the area highly recommended it.

My biggest advice to those coming to the HSNCT who won't have a car -- bring your own snack-type food.
--eps
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

e_steinhauser wrote:Assuming we get the chance, we'll probably hit the Shedd Aquarium this year. Several friends who grew up in the area highly recommended it.

My biggest advice to those coming to the HSNCT who won't have a car -- bring your own snack-type food.
It's been a long time (about 11 years) since I've been to the Shedd Aquarium, but I was definitely highly impressed. I'd also second what everyone has said about the Art Institute--I'd probably enjoy that one even more than I did when I had just started college.

If you don't have a vehicle, your food options are going to be VERY limited and, in large part, very expensive. The hotel will gouge you on every meal they can, so definitely plan ahead for that. Fortunately, we're getting a car this year, so if people are nice to us, we may be willing to help smuggle outside food in. :smile:

As for the Mexican restaurant "near the hotel" (seemed like about a mile walk each way), it didn't seem so sketchy to me, and I know Jessie and I didn't get sick from it (nor did anyone from State College or Parkview Arts and Sciences Magnet, as I recall).
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I've stayed in Rosemont several times without a car--you can often take a hotel shuttle back to the airport, where you can get on the Blue Line.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

We're flying in Thursday morning instead, so we'll have two days to peruse the city... plus the team said in the event they don't make the playoffs, they didn't want to play consolation rounds, so Sunday could be a possibility... although I would like to get back to watch the National Championship Match(es).
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

As far a pizza goes, there is a Giordano's at I believe River and Higgins Roads, just down the street from the hotel. I highly recommend it, and will be patronizing it myself.

Also, catching a Second City show when you are in town is awesome. I did it with my high school team my senior year (Saturday night), and it was money well spent.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Taco Cabana wrote:As far a pizza goes, there is a Giordano's at I believe River and Higgins Roads, just down the street from the hotel. I highly recommend it, and will be patronizing it myself.
There is also a Ginos East not far from the site ..... though Giordanos is closer. I prefer the patty style sausage deep dish at Ginos, but the salad at Giordanos is my favorite.

For architect freaks .... check out the Chicago River boat tours (they might becalled Wendella or some such) ... they generally leave from the base of the Wrigly Building .... they take you up and down the river, and then through the locks out onto the lake to see one of the best skylines in the world (I think Architectural Digest recently ranked it just behind Hong Kong as #2 on Earth).
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Tegan wrote:the salad at Giordanos is my favorite.
When I think of Chicago cuisine, I simply do not think "salad."
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

My picks:

Art Institute of Chicago
Field Museum
Museum of Science and Industry
Sheed Aquarium
a Cubs game at Wrigley
a Sox game at "the Joan" (if you must)
Botanical Gardens
any of the smaller not-so-well-known museums
anything at the United Center (out of towners be wary, not the nicest neighborhood in the world)
a concert at the CSO
threatre--check local listings

and Chicago has cuisine for every taste and budget!
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

I agree whole-heartedly with Coach Riley. Wicked is still running, so get tickets! It's definitely worth every penny.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

For those interested: there is no home game for either Chicago team on the Thursday before HSNCT. The White Sox are at home through the weekend, then it's the Cubs on Monday.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

David Riley wrote:My picks:

Art Institute of Chicago
Field Museum
Museum of Science and Industry
Sheed Aquarium
a Cubs game at Wrigley
a Sox game at "the Joan" (if you must)
Botanical Gardens
any of the smaller not-so-well-known museums
anything at the United Center (out of towners be wary, not the nicest neighborhood in the world)
a concert at the CSO
threatre--check local listings

and Chicago has cuisine for every taste and budget!

If you like classical music, I'd throw in a concert at Ravinia, but the schedule is empty for that weekend. :sad:
But the Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra shows the next Tuesday & Wednesday sound promising. I'm not a big classical music buff, but a CSO concert on a summer night on the lawn at Ravinia is a night well spent!

http://www.ravinia.org/BuyTickets/large ... &year=2007
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hardeecoach
Lulu

Post by hardeecoach »

We were able to take the El to everything we wanted to see last year. My crew would have stayed in the Art Institute the whole time if we had let them. There wasn't enough time in the Field Museum either. We found a great Irish pub downtown within walking distance of the Field. We dined alfresco and people watched and had a great time. (Hey, the country mice in the city...)
By the way- make sure the kids have their student IDs for discount tickets. If you identify yourself as the teacher of a school group, you get in free at the Field.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Hardee? Is this Peggy, and will you be at Panasonic this year?
hardeecoach
Lulu

Post by hardeecoach »

Hi David- yes, I'll be at Panasonic and PACE, but we qualified way too late for NAQT so no trip to Chicago for us this year!
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

hardeecoach wrote: By the way- make sure the kids have their student IDs for discount tickets. If you identify yourself as the teacher of a school group, you get in free at the Field.
especially if you are on more limited budgets (At least the kids), I cannot back this suggestion enough .... if you are heading to museums, have the kids bring their IDs ...... teachers especially bring their IDs!!
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Every year, one way or another I seem to find myself in Flyover Country's greatest city, so I've spent a lot of time in Chicago. For a Washingtonian visiting Chicago I'd suggest you visit:

Millennium Park- The world's premier urban park (that's right, Central Park can kiss its ass).
Sears Tower-Go to the top of America's tallest building (at least for a few more years). You get an unparalleled view of one of the world's greatest skylines.
Navy Pier-I thought it was pretty cool...
Adler Planetarium-If you've never been to Goddard or Hayden this planetarium is pretty cool.
Museum of Science and Industry-I've never been to a museum on this topic so I thought it was extremely interesting. Along with the Art Institute it's Chicago's highlight.
Art Institute-no explanation necessary, obviously a must see.
Robie House- If you're into architecture...
Botanical Gardens- Better than the US Botanical Gardens, but not quite as good as the National Arboretum. Skipable, but visit if you like this kind of thing.
Shedd Aquarium-Possibly as good as the National Aquarium, but once you've seen one aquarium you've seen them all.
Field Museum-Sorry excuse for the Smithsonian's Museum of Natural History. Worse yet, they have the stones to charge you! Although, the T-Rex in the main hall is cool.

Frank Lloyd Wright said "Eventually, I think Chicago will be the most beautiful great city left in the world." Some say they call it the Windy City because it blows. I'm torn, but I come to agree more and more with Wright every time I visit.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

bigtrain wrote:Every year, one way or another I seem to find myself in Flyover Country's greatest city
So you're in Washington D.C. at least once a year?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
ktour84
Lulu

Post by ktour84 »

Some of my favorite places to go when I'm in Chicago
-Art Institute (Thursday evenings 5-8 are free, but the big spring show Cezanne to Picasso closes tomorrow)
-Bookstores - Borders on Michigan Ave and Powell's in Hyde Park are my favorites
-It is worth walking down Michigan Avenue past the Chicago River for the shopping, with some of the best retail stores in country in a little over a mile. Warning, Chicago sales tax is almost 10%.
-Food-There's something for everyone. Giordano's is excellent, as are the Greektown restaurants. Don't stick to the chains, try and explore local places if you have time, it's worth it. Intelligentsia Coffee on Randolph St a block from Michigan Avenue across from the Art Institute has excellent coffee and tea selection.
-Museum Campus (Shedd, Adler, Field) - kind of pricey if you're paying on your own, but there are school group rates are more reasonable.
-Architecture-Robie House, IBM Building, Auditorium Theatre, Sears Tower, La Salle St. Hidden Frank Lloyd Wright - lobby of Rookery Building on La Salle Street, check out the staircase.

Kelly
DH TTHS
Lulu
Location: about 15 miles north of that joke of a city Dayton, Ohio

Post by DH TTHS »

Don't go to Wrigley Field. I went there for ASCN two years ago and was almost arrested for public intoxication, this despite the fact that I was stone cold sober.
Needless to say I cursed the Cubs, and now they will not only ever win a World Series, but they will never even get back to the playoffs.
Demetrius Haas
THE TIPPECANOE HIGH SCHOOL

This season dedicated in memory of Barbaro and Anna Nichole Smith.

RIP
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

DH TTHS wrote:Don't go to Wrigley Field. I went there for ASCN two years ago and was almost arrested for public intoxication, this despite the fact that I was stone cold sober.
Needless to say I cursed the Cubs, and now they will not only ever win a World Series, but they will never even get back to the playoffs.
Can I get an AMEN!!!
JohnAndSlation
Wakka

Post by JohnAndSlation »

Tegan wrote:
DH TTHS wrote:Don't go to Wrigley Field. I went there for ASCN two years ago and was almost arrested for public intoxication, this despite the fact that I was stone cold sober.
Can I get an AMEN!!!
Pfft! Stupid Sox fan...The Cubs'll have their day...
More on the subject, Wrigley Field is beautiful, but if you want a family-friendly atmosphere, go to Comiskey (NEVER US Cellular).
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:
bigtrain wrote:Every year, one way or another I seem to find myself in Flyover Country's greatest city
So you're in Washington D.C. at least once a year?
I don't get it.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010