2007 PACE NSC preliminary field

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
First Chairman
Auron

2007 PACE NSC preliminary field

Post by First Chairman »

This list is subject to change by me or Bykowski as we receive intentions to compete. This list is completely tentative.

Maximum field 40
* received payment

36 teams Pre-registered automatic
Brindlee Mountain 3 (AL)*
Carbondale (IL)*
Cary Academy (NC)*
Centennial 2 (MD)*
Detroit Catholic Central 2 (MI)
Detroit Country Day (MI)*
Dorman (SC)*
East Lansing (MI)
Episcopal Collegiate (AR)*
Garfield Heights (OH)
Gonzaga (DC)*
Hardee (FL)*
Maggie Walker 3 (VA)
Martin Luther King Magnet (TN)*
Moravian Academy (PA)*
New Trier (IL)*
Novi (MI)*
Perry Hall (MD)*
Robinson (NC)
Solon (OH)*
St. Andrew's Episcopal (MS)
State College 2 (PA)*
Stuyvesant (NY)
Thomas Jefferson 2 (VA)
Tippecanoe 2 (OH, second is wildcard)*
Toledo St. John's Jesuit (OH)*
Walter Johnson (MD)

6 schools Interested but awaiting confirmation
Conway (AR)
Eden Prairie (MN)
North Charleston Academic Magnet (SC)
Ocean Lakes (VA)
Rancho Bernardo (CA)
Rogers (AR)

If you want to be on this list, let me know so we can monitor and manage the field appropriately.
Last edited by First Chairman on Mon May 28, 2007 5:30 pm, edited 43 times in total.
Djibouti
Wakka

Post by Djibouti »

Perry Hall (MD - automatic) is in the midst of a massive community fund-raising campaign. We have a strong committment from our school administration, but are awaiting more funds from area businesses before we can commit definitively. Even so, we intend to compete barring a complete fund-raising failure or unexpected outside circumstances.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Brindlee Mountain will be there with at least two teams. We are requesting a wild-card for a third.

Thanks,

Lee
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Not to be rude, but who is SS Murphy from Alabama? I've never heard of them... which is odd considering that I've followed Alabama quiz bowl for the last 10+ years.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

quizbowllee wrote:Not to be rude, but who is SS Murphy from Alabama? I've never heard of them... which is odd considering that I've followed Alabama quiz bowl for the last 10+ years.
My information is that they're from southern Alabama. They had contacted us a few months ago, and I really knew very little about them myself. However, I've noticed that they've qualified for ASCA state, so that gets them an automatic qualification for NSC.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Ok. I think I have heard of Murphy High School. I think that the "S.S." threw off my recognition.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

ETC, I'm pretty sure our team is planning on coming, although when you responded to my wildcard request, you said we had already qualified...
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Yep, Bob, you did as you qualified for state (as well as other things). I was just going by my old notes before I head out to NC.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Hey Dr Chuck,
Didn't MLK from TN qualify at my tournament in the fall?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Yes they did earn an automatic bid. I just haven't heard final confirmation that they are coming (at least according to old notes).
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
jrbellas
Lulu

Post by jrbellas »

Tippecanoe will be requesting a wildcard spot for a B team. I am in the process of filling out paperwork. Spring Break has interrupted our processing of finances, but we will definitely beat the deadline.
square634
Lulu

Post by square634 »

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, but Centennial would like to bring two teams. We already booked other stuff, but somehow it slipped our minds to actually register.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Okay... send me and Bykowski your registration info.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

General warning for everyone:

if you see the list, 22 teams have registered, and we have 13 schools indicating interest. I am projecting that we will be getting 40-44 teams from all of those who are interested. As our limit is 48, it is very important that teams declare and clarify their participation for the NSC as soon as possible if they have not already done so.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
square634
Lulu

Post by square634 »

What is Mr. Bykwoski's e-mail address?
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

square634 wrote:What is Mr. Bykwoski's e-mail address?
The best one to reach me at is the one linked to my entries: dbykowski at aiquizbowl dot com. Sometimes the server burps and rejects e-mails--if there's a problem, just put a post up here and I'll give out a different address. But this is the one that's best for all things qb-related.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Rainmaker203
Kimahri

Post by Rainmaker203 »

Sorry about the late notice, but Rogers, AR is interested in attending. Our district will not give us the funding until we provide them with an exact itinerary however, and I would greatly appreciate it if someone would send me an e-mail or message with the specifics for this event.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Send me and Bykowski and email. We'll try to fill in the gaps.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I would like to remind those schools on the "waiting for confirmation list" to please let me and Bykowski know of your decisions very soon. I want to be sure that we can manage the field, now that there is 6 weeks to go.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Bumping thread to update...

Looking at the field and those awaiting to reply, I am comfortable with accepting the three pending wildcard bids. We are now at 31 slots of 48 taken, with projected field of 36-40.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

When will questions from last year's NSC be made available to registered teams?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

As soon as I can get my butt in gear and compress the right files. The issue is spam-filters as I have had some difficulty sending the questions from 1998-2005 to teams because of the local spam filters eating up those zipped files.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Oh, yeah. For what it is worth, here is our list of 3-year participants:

Andy Knowles
Mark Morris
Amanda Hardin
Justin Decker
John Morgan
Rachel Hill
Riley Denton
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Dr. Chuck, try using senduit to send the files to people. It'll obviate the need to actually attach the files to an e-mail.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
hardeecoach
Lulu

Post by hardeecoach »

Yes, we could use them too! Here in Florida, we play so many formats we get confused pretty quickly. I'm still practicing Panasonic format right now since I'm assistant coach for Team Florida and my captain is on the team... It's really hard to shift your mindset around every tournament format!
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Teams that are on the "registered/confirmed" list should have received an email detailing the website from which you can download the NSC questions as a zipped file. If you have problems, please let me know.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Djibouti
Wakka

Post by Djibouti »

Perry Hall (Maryland; automatic) WILL be in attendance. Mr. Chuck, I'll be sending an e-mail, but could you please send an official invoice to [email protected]? Mr. Geibel is our coach, and we need an official invoice in order to collect on the PTSA's promise to pay our registration fee. Looking forward to June!
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Djibouti wrote:Perry Hall (Maryland; automatic) WILL be in attendance. Mr. Chuck, I'll be sending an e-mail, but could you please send an official invoice to [email protected]? Mr. Geibel is our coach, and we need an official invoice in order to collect on the PTSA's promise to pay our registration fee. Looking forward to June!
If you could make sure Tom and I both get all of your information, that would be great, and I can send an invoice. I will need to know how many buzzer systems you will be bringing before I can put an invoice together, which will happen either tonight or tomorrow evening.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

We started practicing yesterday on last year's NSC questions. We played round 14, which I assume was the Championship match between Raleigh Charter and Richard Montgomery. After playing, the kids wanted to know what the final score was in the championship last year. I poured through all the old threads about the tournament, but could not find the final score posted anywhere. Can anyone elaborate on what the score was?

BTW - Round 14 was a ridiculously hard packet of questions last year!
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I don't remember off-hand. Actually R14 I think was last year's semifinals. Matt has the scoresheets at last check, but I'm sure that Eric can answer that.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

E.T. Chuck wrote:I don't remember off-hand. Actually R14 I think was last year's semifinals. Matt has the scoresheets at last check, but I'm sure that Eric can answer that.
Round 14 is the last round in the 2006 set that was sent to us. Is there a missing Round 15?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I have it, so I probably forgot to zip it with the other files. Give me a little time.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

I believe the score was 400 - 260 (not totally sure, could've been 240)
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I can verify that Round 14 was the championship semifinal/consolation final and that Round 15 was the championship final, which is why they were more difficult. I'll have to do a little digging to find the scores from those games, but I recall around 75% of points being converted.
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

If I can remember correctly Round 14 was a step up from the prelims with TUs on All the Pretty Horses, Kahlil Gibran, a other stuff that even the esteemed Chris Ray didn't get to the end. Round 15 was harder than that, though Raleigh Charter made it look easy.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Round 14 was a good, hard round that featured a balance of questions not converted until the end, some nice early buzzes, and a tossup on the esteemed Evan's favorite painting.

I'd like someone to send me the pace set (or at least round 15), but from memory round 15 was not a good round. In fact, I'd go so far as too say it was quite the disappointment. The primary problem was with the tossups, in that a significant amount of them were pretty much ungettable until the end. These included Bremstrahlung or whatever (which was not converted by anyone), Horst Wessel (the person), and some ridiculous planned community in Florida called Ave Maria. In particular, the last two were NAQTarded in the "blah blah blah shares its name with/lends his name to" fashion. I also recall a science bonus I doubt anyone at the tournament could have 10ed, and two tossups in the stretch round on modern African history. As I said after the tournament, my problems with the set are unrelated to the fact that RC won. They played a better game then we did, hands down. That doesn't change the fact that I think the set kind of sucked. Why a set more analogous to the semifinals would not have been adequate to differentiate between the best hs teams in the country is a little unclear to me. Looking back at those few answers I can remember, those don't seem hard to me now. I'd convert a tossup with a "breaking radiation" giveaway, and I hate physics. A lot. But I think this goes to the essential problem of that set: It was written by people who, understandably, find it hard to stay perfectly in tune with the hs canon. Writing DACQ questions, I find myself constantly having to revise and throw out tossups or restructure clues because they're just not hs appropriate, and I haven't even been out of that game for a year yet. I love PACE, I loved PACE NSC 2006, and hell, I belong to PACE. But I'd like to see there be some oversight in terms of that stuff.

Oh, and while I'm PACE-bashing, what the Christ is going on with the PACE website?

*Note: All the questions were of course excellently written. But a tossup on the planned community of Ave Maria sucks no matter who writes it.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

The website has been under construction for a while, I admit. I have the passwords to change the content and I'll try to get to it this week as I have time.

Basically anyone who would like to take over as website guru, I'm willing to let you redesign the site a bit more. :)

Send me your email, I'll send you the set.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

E.T. Chuck wrote:I don't remember off-hand. Actually R14 I think was last year's semifinals. Matt has the scoresheets at last check, but I'm sure that Eric can answer that.
Indeed. RM A 240, RCHS 400.

If you would like more detail than that, I can supply it. My personal scoresheets are a little obsessive.

EDIT: And the points were there in both rounds, even though both rounds were difficult (Grignards? Senteria? Embarkation for Cythera? Not to mention Horst Wessel. Yikes.). Our semifinal against SC A was 415-225. I credit our afternoon success to a fine meal at Cinelli's.

Eric
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

I can remember Raleigh Charter getting perfectly legit TUs such as Embarkation for Cythera, Ball of Fat and The Man that Corrupted Hadleyburg, and other stuff that I'm sure I forget.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

iambusyeating wrote:...The Man that Corrupted Hadleyburg...
We got that on a technicality.

Though it was a testament to the canon to hear just about every PACE official in the room simultaneously go off when Chris said "The Man WHO..."

Eric
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

It is a "Stopping by Woods..." situation. Many times have I (and others) been pinged on "Stopping by THE Woods..."; just ask Sue Korosa. ;)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

DumbJaques wrote:Oh, and while I'm PACE-bashing, what the Christ is going on with the PACE website?
I think you'll find it to be quite better right now with more to come. Good things can happen when I have slow days at work.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
First Chairman
Auron

Rosters received list

Post by First Chairman »

updated.
Last edited by First Chairman on Sat May 12, 2007 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Talking about my duplication...
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Byko
Yuna

Re: Rosters received list

Post by Byko »

E.T. Chuck wrote:I have received rosters from the following schools so far.
  • Brindlee Mountain
    Carbondale
    Cary Academy
    Centennial
    Culver Academies
    Detroit Catholic Central
    Detroit Country Day
    Dorman
    Garfield Heights
    Gonzaga
    Hardee
    Martin Luther King Magnet
    Moravian Academy
    New Trier
    Novi
    Perry Hall
    Regina
    Robinson
    Solon
    State College
    Stuyvesant
This is 21 of 26 confirmed schools reporting. Each school has included all of their subteams.
I am nearly certain that I have Episcopal Collegiate's roster as well--it stands out to me because I believe their senior is attending West Point next year.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Okay... I'll check the emails again. I thought I had everyone, but it's the best I can do with insomnia. :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Revised rosters received list

Brindlee Mountain
Carbondale
Cary Academy
Centennial
Culver Academies
Detroit Catholic Central
Detroit Country Day
Dorman
Episcopal College
Garfield Heights
Gonzaga
Hardee
Maggie Walker
Martin Luther King Magnet
Moravian Academy
New Trier
Novi
Perry Hall
Regina
Robinson
Solon
State College
Stuyvesant
Tippecanoe
Walter Johnson

You guys are amazing. That's 25 of 26 schools. No pressure on #26... ;)

Please send me updates and college choices as soon as possible. Also photos here or on the Facebook group please.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

quizbowllee wrote:We started practicing yesterday on last year's NSC questions. We played round 14, which I assume was the Championship match between Raleigh Charter and Richard Montgomery. After playing, the kids wanted to know what the final score was in the championship last year. I poured through all the old threads about the tournament, but could not find the final score posted anywhere. Can anyone elaborate on what the score was?
OK, I retrieved the official scoresheets.

Semifinals:

Richard Montgomery A 410, Maggie Walker A 355
Raleigh Charter A 415, State College A 225

Final:

Raleigh Charter 400, Richard Montgomery A 240

All-Star Game:

Team Left 610, Team Right 250
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

E.T. Chuck wrote:
You guys are amazing. That's 25 of 26 schools. No pressure on #26... ;)
Hey now...
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

:cool:

Actually there may be one or two other schools in the mix, so you won't be the only ones. :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---