Quiz Bowl vs. Quizbowl

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
pblessman
Rikku

Quiz Bowl vs. Quizbowl

Post by pblessman »

How do people feel about the two different spellings for quizbowl/quiz bowl? Is either acceptable, do you feel strongly either way... is there a move toward quizbowl from quiz bowl?
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

What about Scholar Quiz?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
fluffy4102
Wakka

Post by fluffy4102 »

meh. Either way. I usually go for quizbowl anyways.
Zach Yeung
St. John's '08
Rice University '12
Biochemistry and Cell Biology and Political Science
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Is this like football vs. futbol ? :wink:

If so, let's start proposing alternative text-like spellings of kwiezzbol.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

I don't like to see it separated for two big reasons:

1. Whenever I see "quiz" stand alone, I think it may give people the wrong impression that this is like some weekly current events bar trivia thing in South Carolina (or anywhere really, don't mean to be state bashing). Or at least, that's what it reminds me of.

2. We never say Basket Ball, Foot Ball, or Base Ball, so when people often put in as much work with quizbowl as a sport (some teams go to over 20 weekend tournaments a year), why not put it on that level of activities and give it its own word? Part of it is a matter of giving it a unique identifying compound word that's all-encompassing of what we do rather than two separate words thrown together. Quizbowl ought to get into Webster's Dictionary y'all :razz:

For these reasons, I named our club the "Quizbowl Club," but it's a little disconcerting how they gave me a club email of "wmquiz," but whatever.

By the way I have no problem with calling it Academic Team/Bowl or something like that. Knowledge Masters is a bad term for it because it makes it seem like KMO is all we're focused on here. Same thing goes for Scholastic Bowl in Virginia, when SB is a totally different format from what we normally do. This isn't any sort of comment on the merits of SB it's just annoying when Christopher Wren Association people constantly refer to my club as the William & Mary Scholastic Bowl Club, despite lengthy explanations on the differences between 20/20 tossup/bonus format and SB.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Wall of Shawarma wrote:I don't like to see it separated for two big reasons:

1. Whenever I see "quiz" stand alone, I think it may give people the wrong impression that this is like some weekly current events bar trivia thing in South Carolina (or anywhere really, don't mean to be state bashing). Or at least, that's what it reminds me of.

2. We never say Basket Ball, Foot Ball, or Base Ball, so when people often put in as much work with quizbowl as a sport (some teams go to over 20 weekend tournaments a year), why not put it on that level of activities and give it its own word? Part of it is a matter of giving it a unique identifying compound word that's all-encompassing of what we do rather than two separate words thrown together. Quizbowl ought to get into Webster's Dictionary y'all :razz:

For these reasons, I named our club the "Quizbowl Club," but it's a little disconcerting how they gave me a club email of "wmquiz," but whatever.

By the way I have no problem with calling it Academic Team/Bowl or something like that. Knowledge Masters is a bad term for it because it makes it seem like KMO is all we're focused on here. Same thing goes for Scholastic Bowl in Virginia, when SB is a totally different format from what we normally do. This isn't any sort of comment on the merits of SB it's just annoying when Christopher Wren Association people constantly refer to my club as the William & Mary Scholastic Bowl Club, despite lengthy explanations on the differences between 20/20 tossup/bonus format and SB.
Yeah, you better not be bashing South Carolina, foo!

Seriously, though, I think it doesn't matter. Yeah, it'd be nice to see consistency just so that one term can more easily be searched in Google over the other, but every region of the country will have its own term for it, especially if there is a dominant TV format (e.g., around the DC area, plenty of schools don't have quiz bowl teams but do have It's Academic teams, and I don't see that changing anytime this century).
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

I guess I have not been paying attention. I have not seen it written as one word until tonight here.

Quiz bowl is two words, in my opinion. Connotation of "bowl" is a competition and of "quiz" is asking of information.

We cannot even agree on what to call this activity (quiz bowl, academic bowl, scholars bowl, scholar bowl, quick recall, etc) and now some want to further confuse it with an alternative spelling of quiz bowl? LOL!
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

jrbarry wrote:I guess I have not been paying attention. I have not seen it written as one word until tonight here.
Really? Not in, say, "The Quizbowl Resource Center"?

I personally believe it should be Qwizboll.

But, barring that, I believe that it should be quizbowl.
My reason is thus: If you are participating in the Sugar Bowl, it is understood that this is a bowl game. The word "bowl" replaces the word "game". In this sense, bowl usually also has some connection to a postseason game.

However, the "bowl" in quizbowl is not thus. You say you are going to a quizbowl tournament or match, not a Quiz Bowl. Thus, I believe it should be one word.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I've got one word for you:
quiz-bowl.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

eh... i don't really like the hyphenated version
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:I've got one word for you:
quiz-bowl.

MaS
For Google searches ONLY.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

3D Lemmings wrote:
jrbarry wrote:I guess I have not been paying attention. I have not seen it written as one word until tonight here.
Really? Not in, say, "The Quizbowl Resource Center"?

I personally believe it should be Qwizboll.

But, barring that, I believe that it should be quizbowl.
My reason is thus: If you are participating in the Sugar Bowl, it is understood that this is a bowl game. The word "bowl" replaces the word "game". In this sense, bowl usually also has some connection to a postseason game.

However, the "bowl" in quizbowl is not thus. You say you are going to a quizbowl tournament or match, not a Quiz Bowl. Thus, I believe it should be one word.
Nice logic there, yeah when people say they're going to a "quiz bowl" it does sound like one game or set of games against one team. I don't have a problem with a team calling itself It's Academic Team or Scholastic Bowl team if that's mostly what they do, but for a regular circuit team it'd be nice if everyone called it one all-encompassing thing. What got annoying when I'd try to contact coaches for the Ebirt tournament is how some Tidewater VA schools refer to themselves as the It's Academic team, when 1. that's not even down here, and 2. they're more involved in SB than TV tournaments.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

I personally prefer my roommate's term for it, Nerdbowl.

But in all seriousness, I'll put on my linguist cap and argue that it doesn't really matter either way - English has a lot of compounds that are written as one word or two. It doesn't really matter, they're interpreted as compounds anyway. (I'll provide further explanation for those who care)
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

MS Word says "quizbowl" is a mispelling, which can be corrected to "quiz bowl".

Microsoft has spoken!
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

So complain to Microsoft! Did Bill Gates ever play quizbowl?
Djibouti
Wakka

Post by Djibouti »

In middle school, we competed as a "Quizbowl Team," which became "It's Academic Team" when we came to high school, as Perry Hall ONLY competed on the TV show. In the past two years, we have changed officially to an "Academic Team" to encompass the fact that we also now compete at tournaments. Even so, we all understand we compete in the pursuit of "Quizbowl" (or Quiz Bowl, etc.). Be an Academic Team or Scholastic Bowl Team, you still play "Quizbowl." I prefer Quizbowl because it is a competition, which I associate with one-word names. To me, Quizbowl deserves its own word; it also gives it a more "noble" title, as everyone sees Quiz by itself and thinks we just take a bunch of tests, which is dumb but its what unknowing people think. Whether you like one word or two is still probably is just a personal preference.
Bugsy
Lulu

Post by Bugsy »

Google says quiz bowl, with the space in between (googling "quiz bowl" generates 357K hits; googling quizbowl generates 159K hits). Personally, though, I prefer quizbowl (one word). It's not a quiz bowl; it's quizbowl.

Then again, at RM, most people usually just call it It's Ac or It's Academic, after the TV show; we're officially the It's Academic Team.
Encyclopedia Brown
Lulu

Quiz Bowl vs. Quizbowl

Post by Encyclopedia Brown »

I am a bit of a fence-rider. I usually use the one-word variant in discussions about quizbowl activity, but the two-word variant appears on my letter jacket.
Dave Porter,
Assistant coach in the Peninsula area
W&M (trash only) (2008-present)
CNU Quizbowl (2007)
Freeman HS President (2003-2005)
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

What I've gathered from this thread is that most clubs, which are probably created with the approval of principals or someone who is a non-quizbowl person, use the term Quiz Bowl, while most people who actually compete prefer the term quizbowl (except for Immaculate Deception, who prefers the hyphenated quiz-bowl). Does this seem accurate?
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

From Wikipedia: (as of May 10. 2007 at 6:15 AM EDT)

"Quizbowl (also known as Quiz bowl, Scholastic Bowl, Brain Bowl, Academic Team, Academic Varsity Bowl, Academic Challenge,Scholar Quiz Bowl, Academic Quiz Team, Academic Bowl, It's Academic, Knowledge Bowl, College Bowl, High School Bowl, or Whiz Quiz) is a family of games of questions and answers on all topics of human knowledge, commonly played in high school and college. The game is played with a lockout buzzer system between some number of teams, most commonly two teams of four players each. A moderator reads questions to the teams, whose players endeavor to buzz in first with the correct answer, scoring points for their team."

Searching for Quiz Bowl will redirect you to the above.

I guess this settles the matter, right? :lol:
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

Hey it's quizbowl.