NAQT HSNCT expands field from 152 to 160

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
evilmonkey
Yuna

NAQT HSNCT expands field from 152 to 160

Post by evilmonkey »

What are peoples reactions to this, and to "Those three spots will be allocated to the first three (qualified) teams that register."

Edited for grammatical reasons, and to include the direct quote
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

This tournament is going to be xbox hueg. That is all.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Not that that's bad or anything...
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

IT'S OVER 9000!
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

How quickly do people think those last 3 spots will be snatched up? Will they be taken by A-teams or B-teams? Etc.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I would guess they are already gone.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Maybe we can start the Facebook group "if this tournament registers over 200 teams, Chicago gets defenestrated..."
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Go ahead... It'll never happen
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I know... like the 400,000 Faces facebook group protesting Darfur.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Jem'Hadar starships wrote:IT'S OVER 9000!
WHAT, 9000!?
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

My only reaction is: if (about) 60 make it to Sunday, I hope they are ready to break the (about) 11-way tie that is likely for the 20th place trophy.
krazydragon
Lulu

Post by krazydragon »

I was just wondering....considering the field size is so big....

How is NAQT going to create a limit regarding playoff teams?

Will it be based on winning record....or possibly something else which decides the teams that make the playoffs?
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

krazydragon wrote:I was just wondering....considering the field size is so big....

How is NAQT going to create a limit regarding playoff teams?

Will it be based on winning record....or possibly something else which decides the teams that make the playoffs?
From the NAQT Website.

Format:

The precise format will be determined by the final size of the field. Teams are guaranteed ten preliminary matches on Saturday. The playoffs will take place on Sunday. The format will likely be similar to last year's in which 128 teams played 10 preliminary games (over the course of 12 rounds) on Saturday and every team with a winning record advanced to double-elimination (10 rounds) on Sunday.

I would estimate that about 3/8 of the teams will make the playoffs. This would mean about 60 teams, as you mentioned. My guess is that 6-4 will put a team in the playoffs, but it could change, just like the maximum field of the HSNCT has changed three times.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Marmora's Warbler wrote:This tournament is going to be xbox hueg. That is all.
I'm sorry... is Xbox really popular? Never got that impression.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Full Devil Jacket wrote:I'm sorry... is Xbox really popular? Never got that impression.
Nope, just really...really...big.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Philip Marschall
Lulu

Post by Philip Marschall »

With over 9000 teams participating, between 3000 and 4000 teams should make it to Sunday. It will be interesting to see how NAQT breaks down this playoff conundrum.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Philip Marschall wrote:With over 9000 teams participating, between 3000 and 4000 teams should make it to Sunday. It will be interesting to see how NAQT breaks down this playoff conundrum.
DO nine thousand teams even play on NAQT sets each year? As awesome as it would be to know i was the quickest out of 36000 people hearing a question, it would still be very weird....

And I think they would do a round robin for that.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Pardon My Sarong wrote:DO nine thousand teams even play on NAQT sets each year? As awesome as it would be to know i was the quickest out of 36000 people hearing a question, it would still be very weird....

And I think they would do a round robin for that.
I'm pretty sure that for 9000 teams to play NAQT, this would have to include at least one representative from almost every school district in the States. Obviously, some places are overrepresented, but there are many states that have never even heard of NAQT.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

For the absolute hell of it, here's a state by state breakdown of the field as of the last update (2 May, 10:30)

Minnesota, 16
Michigan, 13
California, 13
Oklahoma, 9
Virginia, 8
Ohio, 8
Georgia, 7
Kentucky, 7
Pennsylvania, 6
New York, 6
Illinois, 6
South Carolina, 4
Texas, 4
Alabama, 4
Maryland, 3
Arkansas, 3
New Jersey, 3
Wisconsin, 3
Louisiana, 3
Florida, 3
Indiana, 3
Delaware, 2
South Dakota, 2
Tennessee, 2
Connecticut, 2
North Carolina, 2
Vermont, 2
District of Columbia, 2
Mississippi, 1
Iowa, 1
Utah, 1
New Hampshire, 1
Canada, 1

Oregon, New Mexico, Missouri, and China sent teams last year and currently have no representation in the field.

These states have not had representation in at least the last four years...
Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Massachusetts, Maine, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, Nevada, Rhode Island, West Virginia, Wyoming.

Please correct if I screwed up.
orangecrayon
Wakka

Post by orangecrayon »

MahoningQuizBowler wrote:Oregon, New Mexico, Missouri, and China sent teams last year and currently have no representation in the field.
To be fair, New Mexico's NAQT state tournament was Saturday. The winning school might be waiting on funding approval.
(Speaking of which, is there anyone from that tournament on the boards? Curious how big the field was, how it went, etc.)
johnboy81918
Lulu

Post by johnboy81918 »

MahoningQuizBowler wrote:Oregon, New Mexico, Missouri, and China sent teams last year and currently have no representation in the field.
I think MO may have 3 teams in attendance...we shall see though.
John Ahlfield
WUSTL
Liberty High School 2007
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Yeah, they hid all Missouri teams on the roster because there was a MSHSAA ban up until this week on teams attending nationals.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:Yeah, they hid all Missouri teams on the roster because there was a MSHSAA ban up until this week on teams attending nationals.
Why?

Because MSHSAA is a large organization made entirely of people with malformed cerebrums.

They want to make it a "level playing field" for all teams, good or bad, and a team going to nationals "gives them an unnecessary advantage" or something like that. Basically, there was never a ban and then magically there was at the beginning of this year and they decided that schools needed to vote to lift that ban (even though no one voted to put it in place). So I really don't know what in the world they were doing.

*note, those quotes are just my attempts to understand what MSHSAA does, and I think they're pretty accurate.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Sounds like Missouri is a little screwed up.

Yeah. I hate it often. At least :chip: isn't a big deal here, but you'd be shocked how many other bad question providers there are.

quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:Yeah, they hid all Missouri teams on the roster because there was a MSHSAA ban up until this week on teams attending nationals.
So, does this mean we'll see NKC in Chicago?

Dunno. We have an extra hurdle to jump through that I really don't want to get into.

evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Well, I hope to see you there.
Jackson_Raj
Lulu

Post by Jackson_Raj »

MahoningQuizBowler wrote:
These states have not had representation in at least the last four years...
Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Massachusetts, Maine, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, Nevada, Rhode Island, West Virginia, Wyoming.

Please correct if I screwed up.
West Virginia usually doesn't send teams to NAQT because the state champion usually goes to the PAC, as is the case this year with Parkersburg Catholic. Last year, the state champion, Cabell Midland, went to :chip: 's tournament, and the runner-up, Parkersburg Catholic went to the PAC. Beyond the state champion and the runner-up going, there's no incentive of going to any national for many WV teams.
pblessman
Rikku

MN

Post by pblessman »

Does anybody have historical stats on participation by MN teams? If I'm not mistaken those number have gone up exponentially over the last five years. I remember when I coached at Conserve School in WI (02-04) I tried to find NAQT tourneys in MN and there was almost nothing...
Canadajin
Lulu

Post by Canadajin »

Participation in NAQT tournaments in the state of Minnesota increased drastically last year.
Strongside
Rikku

Re: MN

Post by Strongside »

pblessman wrote:Does anybody have historical stats on participation by MN teams? If I'm not mistaken those number have gone up exponentially over the last five years. I remember when I coached at Conserve School in WI (02-04) I tried to find NAQT tourneys in MN and there was almost nothing...
The first NAQT high school quiz bowl tournament in Minnesota that I know of was held in October of 2003. http://www.naqt.com/mqba/

Assuming that was the first NAQT tournament in Minnesota, this was the fourth season with NAQT high school quiz bowl tournaments in Minnesota and the number of NAQT tournaments have increased over that time span.

I think NAQT started having NAQT high school tournaments in Minnesota around the time Robert Hentzel moved to Minnesota, but I am not sure about that.

Looking at results from past HSNCTs, 2004 was the first year with a team from Minnesota, and there was only one team that year. 2005 was the first year that a Minnesota team made the playoffs at the HSNCT.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010

NKC just got the thumbs up from MSHSAA yesterday to come to NAQT.