Question for Virginia/Maryland/DC area teams

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
quizbowllee
Auron

Question for Virginia/Maryland/DC area teams

Post by quizbowllee »

Assume for a moment that Brindlee Mountain High School will be able to attend ONE tournament in the DC area next year. Taking into consideration that we want to play against the best in the area on the best possible questions, what tournament might you recommend? We'd like to go to a tournament at TJ or Maggie Walker, but we also want to PLAY TJ and Maggie Walker... Are there any good tournaments that draw pretty much all of the big teams in the area?

Thanks in advance.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I'm not DC/MD/VA obviously, but UVa spring seemed to have a phenomenal field from all over.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

Just to give you an idea of the UVA Spring field strength, the field in the final set of round robin games was Maggie Walker, TJ A, TJ B, Dorman, MLK Charter, and Whitman. I think Chatahootchee won the consolation bracket.
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12
Philip Marschall
Lulu

Post by Philip Marschall »

Speaking as a player from outside that area, I've found that Maggie Walker, despite not having Maggie Walker teams, runs a very good tournament and has excellent questions. Also, they are close to Extreme Pizza, the best and most hilarious place to eat lunch on a quiz bowl trip.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Again, I recommend going to either Gov, or one of the tournaments at U.VA. Both are fine tournaments (the only knock on Cav. Open is fewer rounds of play, but it is still very good)
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Excellent high school students may wish to visit the UVA campus anyway and they do put on a fine tournament in a great location. If you want to see both TJ and Walker competing at the same tournament that's probably the best choice.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Also, if there is a temptation, I may also try to reprise Patriot Games with the intention of keeping it a small field rather than a huge event. It would likely coincide with the end of March or early April as it would be prime cherry blossom time. It's still tentative so don't count on my event yet.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Here is my list of tournaments that had good pyramidal questions in the greater DC-VA area:

Centennial High School, Ellicott City, MD (house)
Gonzaga, Washington DC (house)
Walter Johnson, Bethesda, MD (NAQT)
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA (house)
Thomas Jefferson, Alexandria, VA (1 house, 1 NAQT)
University of Maryland, College Park (house, spring tourney only)

I've left UMCP's fall tournament off the list since it's modeled after the local television show. While a significant percentage of the questions are pyramidal, I don't thing the fall tourney is what you were really looking for.

I'd put Gonzaga and UVa at the top of the difficulty heap, and Centennial after that. I didn't make it to any of the TJ tournaments this year, but their house-written questions in previous years have tended to ratchet up the difficulty as the playoffs progress.

Part of the difficulty you'll have is that TJ and Gov are more than an hour away from each other, so TJ may not necessarily make a trek to a tourney Gov attends and vice versa. I will say, however, that Gov did travel and play in many tournaments in the DC area.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

I think your best bet would be UVA's Cav Open. It tends to draw not only some of the best teams in the area, but some of the best teams from all over. That being said, it being a NAQT tournament means that the question set is not as good as some of the house written sets(like Maryland's or Gonzaga's). To put a good word for our tournament, , we are closer to teams coming from the south and we tend to draw a diverse bunch of teams of high caliber.
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Our (Maggie Walker's) tournament usually sports a pretty strong and diverse field and is house-written. I'll use this point for a plug--this year's and last year's sets for $20 for an electronic version to be e-mailed to you--e-mail gsacdirector (at) hotmail (dot) com for more info [/shameless plug]. We can promise good, hard questions for the most part, especially if you want to get a diversion from NAQT.

If you want to play against the best next year, then you'll probably want to play against TJ. They do run good tournaments, though. Fall is NAQT and spring is house-written. At UVA's spring tournament, Cavalier Open, you are pretty much guaranteed a strong field from both the region and beyond. They use NAQT, so avoid the set if you plan to play at that one.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Things to consider:

Charlottesville and Richmond are both a couple of hours closer to you.

Though TJ usually has an excellent tournament, I believe you want to have the opportunity to play against them. I will be surprised if they are not one of the best in the nation next year, possibly the best.

Maggie Walker is something of a question mark for next year as they will graduate their entire A team, and half their B team.

Maggie Walker's December tournament is subject to bad weather. In fact, all the tournaments in late fall through early spring are subject to bad weather around here.

I agree that Cav Open or GSAC are your best bets.

Maybe all the power teams can make early commitments so you will know where you want to go for the strongest competition. Maybe if the southern power teams will agree to make the trip, the DC/MD powers will show up, too. Maybe DCC and State College and others will come too. It would be quite a party.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I really appreciate all the suggestions. It is still VERY tentative that we'll be able to make a trip like this. Being my team's senior year, I'd like to take them somewhere big before nationals.

We'll have to see if we have the money to come.

We'll probably be leaning towards the Cav Tournament at UVA.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Lee, I know this is not totally related, but would you ever consider coming up north like, say, Wash U in St. Louis or something?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:Lee, I know this is not totally related, but would you ever consider coming up north like, say, Wash U in St. Louis or something?
That's surely a possibility. Truthfully, it is probably more likely than us making it to Virginia. But, every year my team begs me to take them to a tournament in Virginia, but we've never had the funds. I'm going to do everything in my power to get them there this coming year.

-Lee
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Howard wrote:University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA (house)
UVA holds three tournaments each year - the house-written Cav Classic in the fall, the NAQT-written Cav Open in the spring, and the NAQT-written NAQT VA State tournament open only to Virginia schools. The Cav Open tends to have the strongest field, as everyone here has already said.
Last edited by No Sollositing On Premise on Tue May 01, 2007 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Thanks for clarifying, laszlow. I had forgotten about that.

I had pretty much assumed you'd be flying in. If driving, I agree you'll want to stay to the south as much as possible. If you're flying, your most convenient bet will probably be Gonzaga. The school is within a few blocks of Metro (DC's subway), and there's a metro station at National Airport as well.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

I normally don't venture into this forum, but am procrastinating, so thought I'd point out to Lee that we typically swap questions with UVa for our fall tournaments, so you wouldn't be able to attend theirs and ABC. Obviously there would be no issue with their NAQT one in the spring, which seems to be the one southeastern teams like to go to anyway.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

vandyhawk wrote:Obviously there would be no issue with their NAQT one in the spring...
unless that would prevent you from attending an NAQT tournament in your area using the same questions.
John Gilbert
Ellicott City, MD

BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Howard wrote:
vandyhawk wrote:Obviously there would be no issue with their NAQT one in the spring...
unless that would prevent you from attending an NAQT tournament in your area using the same questions.
Ordinarily I would agree with "don't ever travel far away for NAQT questions", but the Cav Open is one of the best tournaments of the year, and IMHO would be the one to go to, Lee. The competition will be fierce.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

The only problem is that - at least this year - the Cav Open was the same weekend as our ASCA Regional Tournament. While ASCA kinda stinks, it is our state organization and is, therefore, sort of important. I guess we'll have to look at scheduling as well as budget before we make a decision.

Thanks again.