Tournament listing with Stats by IS?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
brownboy79
Rikku

Tournament listing with Stats by IS?

Post by brownboy79 »

As hard as it is to compare teams which have never played, how feasible is it to compare teams playing on the same questions? Is it possible to combine statistics from different teams at different tournaments using a particular IS as standard? Could we compile a list of tournaments along with stats from those tournaments using a particular IS? IS questions are played often around the country, and at the very least we'd be able to see how different teams fare on NAQT format.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Part of the problem is that some teams get very little opportunity to play IS sets throughout the year. I still wouldn't take much stock in it.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

You could do it and I wonder if NAQT does internally, at least for official events. But similar questions doesn't mean similar rules (for unofficial events) or similar competition. Timed and untimed formats are quite different, and just using PPTUH or P/B doesn't cover the entire impact of that difference. P/B at least lets you compare against different opponents, but some HS events even have different rules for that...
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

My wife and I were discussing this same thing the other night and how it would be nice if we had something like an ESPN but just for quizbowl. Have player interviews, team stats, and other things that would interest most of us. And she being a marketing person was looking at it as a way of getting the gospel out to the masses... which I personally think would be a good thing
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

This would beget Fantasy Quiz Bowl.

Eric
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Matthew D wrote:My wife and I were discussing this same thing the other night and how it would be nice if we had something like an ESPN but just for quizbowl. Have player interviews, team stats, and other things that would interest most of us. And she being a marketing person was looking at it as a way of getting the gospel out to the masses... which I personally think would be a good thing
You know I might try to do a video documentary of some sort for William & Mary Quizbowl next year, hopefully this will inspire someone to produce a quizbowl equivalent to Spellbound for the masses, though hopefully less geeky/embarassing :roll:
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Matthew D wrote:My wife and I were discussing this same thing the other night and how it would be nice if we had something like an ESPN but just for quizbowl. Have player interviews, team stats, and other things that would interest most of us. And she being a marketing person was looking at it as a way of getting the gospel out to the masses... which I personally think would be a good thing
You know I might try to do a video documentary of some sort for William & Mary Quizbowl next year, hopefully this will inspire someone to produce a quizbowl equivalent to Spellbound for the masses, though hopefully less geeky/embarassing :roll:
I thought someone did this for last year's HSNCT.

Chris Ray knows more about this.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

I'd start fantasy quiz bowl. It'd be baller. But I think you should have to draft teams. And for the HSNCT. Hmm. This could be interesting.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

One Greg Lindsay was intending to do a quiz bowl documentary, and in fact acquired footage for it at at least one HSNCT, but apparently the project did not take off. He did write an article about the folks in charge of NAQT for some website; it's linked to I think from the talk page for the wikipedia article on "quizbowl".
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
bigmac
Lulu

Post by bigmac »

MTV was also interviewing some teams and considering a potential show ("from the makers of Made"). I have heard nothing about this since the fall CAV, so it looks like the project fell apart. That is probably a good thing since what MTV would do to quiz bowl might not have been a pretty site.
RM coach
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Pimp My Buzzer?

This could be the start of a whole new thread.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

It's not exactly MTV, but a senior at our school is making a documentary about our team for a Senior Project. He has a lot of footage and is now in the editing process. I hope it becomes openly accessible eventually.

As far as the original question is concerned, NAQT keeps a list of tournaments by packet set, so somebody with a few hours to spare could put this together using the results on this board, google, and email. Many tournaments keep good statistics, and many don't. Stats such as PPTH and PPB and number of powers aren't affected that much by whether or not matches are timed, though of course PPTH is affected by the level of competition.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

A meta-analysis can be performed easily using that list. I would think though that NAQT would want to keep those meta-statistics for proprietary reasons. Not that it would excuse anyone else from doing the same.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)