BULLETIN: Virginia Tech tragedy

Old college threads.
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

BULLETIN: Virginia Tech tragedy

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

If anyone has any news on (or better yet, from) members of the Virginia Tech quizbowl team, please post it here. It's bad enough when you read a news story like this in the abstract, but when you know people who may have been there...

[Note: Edited to remove avatar, which popped out as painfully inappropriate when I saw my message -- apologies for lack of forethought.]
Snoopy17
Lulu

Post by Snoopy17 »

The latest that i have heard is that 32 people including the gunman are dead. Here is the link: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech. ... index.html

Everyone of the Academic Competition Organization of Virginia Tech is safe and ok. We deeply appreciate the concern that everyone has shown.

Thank you,
Sarah Mahood
President - Academic Competition Organization of Virginia Tech
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

We're glad to hear that you're all OK. Can you provide any kind of information about what went down beyond what's on the news already?
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Snoopy17
Lulu

Post by Snoopy17 »

I have heard many different things. I am not sure what is heresay what is not.

[A member of our organization requested that I take down the story that I had previously posted. ]
Last edited by Snoopy17 on Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orangecrayon
Wakka

Post by orangecrayon »

Wow.
Our thoughts are with you all. Very glad to hear that you and your teammates are safe. If there's anything we can do for you, please let us know.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Christ. That is beyond disturbing.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Jesus Tapdancing Christ, this is one of the most appalling things I've ever seen. Glad that all the VT team members are okay, but I'm beyond sorry to hear that this happened at all. If they offer grief counselors, please take advantage of them. Competent ones can make a world of difference in a situation like this.
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Very glad to hear the ACO made it back safe and sound.

If anyone here ever has the opportunity to make the trip and explore Blacksburg, do so. It is a wonderful, vibrant town, whose residents love the University and embrace the country around it.

I spent a dozen years in/around Blacksburg (my parents still work there - and both are thankfully safe), and words cannot describe the shock and sorrow I feel watching the videos and pictures and the events unfold today.
DrJulieBug
Kimahri

Post by DrJulieBug »

Dear Sarah,

We're relieved that you and your teammates are all safe. I don't know what else to say. I don't think there's a college campus in the country that's not collectively stunned right now.

Is there anything that the QB community can do?

-- Julie
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Let's make sure we avoid any hearsay... let the media get embarrassed for getting things wrong. :)

I'm listening to bits of the news conference, and apparently they have named the perpetrator (acting solely). I commiserate with those who are affected by this tragedy.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)