Yellow Mellow

Old college threads.
ecks
Wakka

Yellow Mellow

Post by ecks »

Is it back? Isn't it? I see it pop up every five years or so, but then it dies again. Or maybe it just goes into hiding in obscure restaurants that I don't visit.

Mellow Yellow, you have a cool name and logo. Plus you remind me of a video came I played when I was a kid. Come back to us!
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I don't think McDonalds counts as an "obscure" restaurant.
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

styxman wrote:I don't think McDonalds counts as an "obscure" restaurant.
McDonald's? They have Mellow Yellow at McDonald's?? It seems my problem is solved. Maybe I should just be more observant.
Christopher Stone
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

I believe it's marketed more regionally, mostly in the south. Someone with more knowledge on this point may be able to provide more insight.

I know for sure it's available at Outback.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

ecks wrote:
styxman wrote:I don't think McDonalds counts as an "obscure" restaurant.
McDonald's? They have Mellow Yellow at McDonald's?? It seems my problem is solved. Maybe I should just be more observant.
At least they do in Northern Illinois. It is all a regional thing, after all. New Coke lived in some podunk region for a good while after they brought real Coke back.

Anyway, the internet should be good enough to order a case of good old fashioned Grade-B Mountain Dew.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Mellow Yellow is pretty ubiquitous in the South.
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Paradox »

We currently sell it in our vending machines at SLU and we used to sell it in the WUSTL bookstore. I've also seen it in other gas stations in MO.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

I know for a fact that it's in the Subway in Springfield, VA. I know I've seen it in other places as well, but that's where I usually drink it, if ever.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

At UIUC, it can be found in various machines around campus (we have a Coca-Cola exclusivity contract), but is slowly being replaced in dorm cafeterias by Vault.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Perhaps my palate is not as refined as some, but Mello Yello and Mountain Dew have always been pretty much the same thing to me...

To me, Mello Yello is to Mr. Pibb as Mountain Dew is to Dr. Pepper.

I'm glad we have a forum to discuss these vastly important issues.
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Mello Yello is a Coke product, while Mountain Dew is a Pepsi product
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

exactly. It's acheap imitation that isn't nearly as good as the original.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Mellow Yellow does not tickle your innards.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

leftsaidfred wrote:Mellow Yellow does not tickle your innards.
Thank god for small favors, I guess.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Yeah Mellow Yellow is at the local Quiznos here, I see it pretty frequently, probably a regional thing.

They'd never take away Cole Trickle's sponsor :wink:
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

grapesmoker wrote:
leftsaidfred wrote:Mellow Yellow does not tickle your innards.
Thank god for small favors, I guess.
I refer to innard tickling in the best possible way.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Here in the belly of the Coca-Cola beast we have Mello Yello in some cafeteria fountain machines.

Keep in mind, it's Mello Yello. No 'W.' Coca-Cola is badass/hip like that. Yeah, Coca-Cola owns my education.
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

bigtrain wrote:Keep in mind, it's Mello Yello. No 'W.' Coca-Cola is badass/hip like that. Yeah, Coca-Cola owns my education.
Owns your education? Son, unless you go to Emory or Georgia Tech, I'm not sure you're qualified to make such a statement. (Though your location does say "Atlanta, GA" so perhaps. Anyway...)

At Tech, Coca-Cola world headquarters is literally right across the street. You can't go outside and not see their tower. As is their wont, the Woodruff family has tons of stuff named after them (I've heard its worse at Emory, though): The Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, Woodruff Dining Hall, Woodruff Residence Hall, and so on and so forth.

Coca-Cola, of course, has an exclusivity contract with Tech. This means two things:
1) A 20oz Coke costs a $1.40 despite the fact we're in the damn Coke capital of the world.
2) The Pizza Hut in the student center is the only one in the entire country (if not the world) that sells Coca-Cola products.

Coke owns Atlanta. I'm surprised anyone is allowed to sell Pepsi at all (well, not really, but I'm all about melodramatic exaggeration here).
barnacles
Lulu

Post by barnacles »

Interestingly, UT-Chattanooga is pretty wrapped up in Coke money as well (that sounds wrong). The Lupton family, who opened the first Coke-bottling plant in Chattanooga, contributes a lot of money and, subsequently, the library is named after them.
vig180
Wakka

Post by vig180 »

Interestingly, the Middle East, or at least where I've been so far, seems to be dominated by Pepsi. Perhaps it's because of competition from "Mecca Cola," or, more likely, rumors that Coke supports Israel. Anyway, certainly no Mello Yello here, alas.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

ASimPerson wrote:
bigtrain wrote:Keep in mind, it's Mello Yello. No 'W.' Coca-Cola is badass/hip like that. Yeah, Coca-Cola owns my education.
Owns your education? Son, unless you go to Emory or Georgia Tech, I'm not sure you're qualified to make such a statement. (Though your location does say "Atlanta, GA" so perhaps. Anyway...)

At Tech, Coca-Cola world headquarters is literally right across the street. You can't go outside and not see their tower. As is their wont, the Woodruff family has tons of stuff named after them (I've heard its worse at Emory, though): The Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, Woodruff Dining Hall, Woodruff Residence Hall, and so on and so forth.
Yes, I go to Emory, which is certainly tied to Coca-Cola more than any institution in the world.
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

bigtrain wrote:Yes, I go to Emory, which is certainly tied to Coca-Cola more than any institution in the world.
Ah, well, carry on then.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

ecks wrote:McDonald's? They have Mellow Yellow at McDonald's?? It seems my problem is solved.
Those of you going to ICT can have this drink at the McDonald's in concourse G of the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport.
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

cvdwightw wrote:
ecks wrote:McDonald's? They have Mellow Yellow at McDonald's?? It seems my problem is solved.
Those of you going to ICT can have this drink at the McDonald's in concourse G of the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport.
<3 the twin cities' airport. I go through there about twice a year on my way to Sea-Tac.
Christopher Stone