RESULTS: NAQT All-Virginia Tourney (4/22) @ Virginia

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
NRScout98
Lulu

RESULTS: NAQT All-Virginia Tourney (4/22) @ Virginia

Post by NRScout98 »

Most of you have been bombarded with this announcement already, but please save the date (if you haven't done so already) - the NAQT Virginia High School State Championship will be on SUNDAY, April 22nd. More details to follow this afternoon.
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

The Academic Competition Club at the University of Virginia is pleased to announce the NAQT All-Virginia High School Tournament, to be held for the fourth time in Charlottesville on SUNDAY April 22, 2007.

This tournament will use NAQT question set IS-67. We hope that this tournament will include public and private schools from across the commonwealth.

We keep getting positive feedback about the small school division, so hope to run it again in this tournament as well.

You can get more detailed information at http://www.student.virginia.edu/~quizbo ... tates.html

Registration will be open until Wednesday, April 18th, but we're offering a $20 discount to any school that registers before April 4th. We look forward to seeing you!
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Hey, on your site it says that question purchase is twenty dollars, but
NAQT wrote:NAQT provides questions for its high school championships at no cost to the host team. The host is expected to distribute one copy of the questions to each participating school at no additional charge.
ummm..so what's the deal?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
yangsta
Wakka

Post by yangsta »

Aforementioned issue has been fixed.

Field update 3/28:
Freeman

Seriously, you can register now. :)
yangsta
Wakka

Post by yangsta »

Field update 4/1/07

Early registration deadline is Tuesday, 4/3.

Freeman
Robinson A
Robinson B
Parry McCluer
Langley
TJHSST A
TJHSST B
Cave Spring A
Cave Spring B
Cave Spring C
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

yangsta wrote:Field update 4/1/07

Freeman
Robinson A
Robinson B
Parry McCluer
Langley
TJHSST A
TJHSST B
Cave Spring A
Cave Spring B
Cave Spring C

The registration form has the early registration date as 4/4, not 4/3.

Maggie Waker will have 3 teams (possibly 4). Does the field seem small, or is it just not yet the last minute registration rush? Things that might keep the field small are the Sunday date and the relatively expensive admission fee. Most clubs are probably running low on funds right about now.
yangsta
Wakka

Post by yangsta »

jbarnes112358 wrote:
yangsta wrote:Field update 4/1/07

Freeman
Robinson A
Robinson B
Parry McCluer
Langley
TJHSST A
TJHSST B
Cave Spring A
Cave Spring B
Cave Spring C

The registration form has the early registration date as 4/4, not 4/3.

Maggie Waker will have 3 teams (possibly 4). Does the field seem small, or is it just not yet the last minute registration rush? Things that might keep the field small are the Sunday date and the relatively expensive admission fee. Most clubs are probably running low on funds right about now.
My bad, 4/4 is correct.

The field is indeed small right now at about a dozen teams, and we are trying to see if we can contact more schools (you have an email in your inbox, Dr. Barnes!). There is another week or so, so hopefully teams are just taking their time getting their acts together.

You're right that it's late in the year, and many schools might be having budget issues, but I think the registration fee of $65 for the first returning school team w/ early registration is on par with other NAQT states (LA 100, SoCal 70, MI 75, IA 40?!?, KY 60, MS 60, AL 75, IL 50, FL 90).

All that being said, if there are any stragglers on the boards, get your registration in by today for the early discount!
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

Field Update:
Freeman
Robinson A
Robinson B
Parry McCluer
Langley
TJHSST A
TJHSST B
Cave Spring A
Cave Spring B
Cave Spring C
Maggie Walker A
Maggie Walker B
Maggie Walker C
Collegiate
STAB

The registration deadline is on Wednesday, so please get all last minute submissions to us! Thank you!
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

perhaps the decision to run a Sunday tournament is adversely affecting participation. :sad: It's a shame, too. I had hoped for a 40-50 team field like last year. This is really dissappointing.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

It wasn't so much a decision as a forced hand, I believe. They lost one or two earlier dates, and Cabell/Wilson is in use by Certamen on Saturday.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

BuzzerZen wrote:It wasn't so much a decision as a forced hand, I believe. They lost one or two earlier dates, and Cabell/Wilson is in use by Certamen on Saturday.
True, this was, really, the last real choice, unless they wanted to put it WAAYYY late (mid-May), in which case many teams would have shut down operation for the summer, and it would have just been a warm-up for teams going to nationals.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

dsfcaptains2005 wrote:perhaps the decision to run a Sunday tournament is adversely affecting participation. :sad: It's a shame, too. I had hoped for a 40-50 team field like last year. This is really dissappointing.
No last year NAQT States had 21 open teams and 9 small school teams. Maybe you're thinking of last year's Cav Open or something...
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Matt Morrison wrote:
dsfcaptains2005 wrote:perhaps the decision to run a Sunday tournament is adversely affecting participation. :sad: It's a shame, too. I had hoped for a 40-50 team field like last year. This is really dissappointing.
No last year NAQT States had 21 open teams and 9 small school teams. Maybe you're thinking of last year's Cav Open or something...
Entirely possible, or i could be confused with something entirely different.
Yeah, that's probably it. :oops:

Still, this is gonna be a really congested field. I see a lot of teams losing 2-3 prelims. I eagerly await details on playoffs (especially consolation. :sad: There's at least 5 teams that will beat the snot out of us)
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
yangsta
Wakka

Post by yangsta »

Quick Results:

Actually, we don't have them. Thomas Jefferson B is currently playing Maggie Walker A in an advantaged final (MW ahead), and I believe they just went to a second game. But those two teams will be 1-2.

Rest of field:

3. Thomas Jefferson A
T-4. Cave Spring A
T-4. Maggie Walker B
T-4. Freeman
7. Langley
8. St. Anne's-Belfield

More to come soon, I guess.
yangsta
Wakka

Post by yangsta »

Advantaged final:

Maggie Walker A (7-0 playoff standings, 10-0 overall)

(one game lead)
vs.

Thomas Jefferson B (6-1 playoff standings, 9-1 overall)

Game 1:
Thomas Jefferson B 480, Maggie Walker A 290

Game 2:
Maggie Walker A 325, Thomas Jefferson B 290

Congrats to Gov and to all.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Thomas Jefferson B
What the Christ is going on with this? How many tournaments has TJ B finished higher than TJ A at now?
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

well, it was certainly exciting (at halftime, Gov A only had 10x our score!).

The timed rounds made everything run a lot smoother than alot of other things we've done in the past. Generally well run.

One thing that really kinda ticked me off was the initial read through of the brackets. They seemed farly unbalanced, with TJA, Freeman, Cave Spring, AND MW B in the same bracket, while the other bracket was Gov A, TJ B, Langley and STAB as its top 4.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
MLWMathStar
Lulu

Post by MLWMathStar »

NAQT's distribution was skewed towards a particular category this time. Won't say which so as not to help teams that haven't played this set, but being a weakness of mine I got a bit annoyed. Worse was that in about 5 out of 11 rounds, a math question began when the clock read less than 10 seconds, one time in a game that went into a tiebreaker. I was about ready to kill something.
One thing that really kinda ticked me off was the initial read through of the brackets. They seemed farly unbalanced, with TJA, Freeman, Cave Spring, AND MW B in the same bracket, while the other bracket was Gov A, TJ B, Langley and STAB as its top 4.
I thought the brackets were balanced, and I can't figure out which bracket you're thinking was better than the other. If you mean the 2nd, how would you have predicted TJ B would do better than TJ A? (unlike past tournaments they didn't mix the teams this time, and B was still better than A)
Palmer Mebane
Maggie Walker A Team
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

MLWMathStar wrote:NAQT's distribution was skewed towards a particular category this time. Won't say which so as not to help teams that haven't played this set, but being a weakness of mine I got a bit annoyed. Worse was that in about 5 out of 11 rounds, a math question began when the clock read less than 10 seconds, one time in a game that went into a tiebreaker. I was about ready to kill something.
I thought the brackets were balanced, and I can't figure out which bracket you're thinking was better than the other. If you mean the 2nd, how would you have predicted TJ B would do better than TJ A? (unlike past tournaments they didn't mix the teams this time, and B was still better than A)
I was feeling that our bracket was far tougher that the Gov A/TJ B bracket. the 4-3 circle of death meant one of the 5 pretty good teams in out bracket had to go, while a team that I think was 2-4 in prelims got a playoff in the other bracket. I wasn't furious, but it did annoy me.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

Preliminary statistics can be found at http://www.student.virginia.edu/~quizbo ... dings.html

Results from the playoff (with incomplete individual stats) are located at http://www.student.virginia.edu/~quizbo ... dings.html

It might be interesting to note that this is the second time (the other instance was back in 2004) at the NAQT VA Championships that a TJ B team has beaten a TJ A, only to fall to Maggie Walker in the finals.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

DumbJaques wrote:
Thomas Jefferson B
What the Christ is going on with this? How many tournaments has TJ B finished higher than TJ A at now?
Indeed. TJ B was shockingly good in the playoffs, beating TJ A and MW A in back-to-back games. (edit: not really back-to-back, but, in any case they were on quite a roll.) Then they almost beat us (MW A) in the uberfinals. In the prelims, TJ A seemed to be better than TJ B, though.

TJ's A and B teams are something of a moving target as they have put together several different combinations this year.
Last edited by jbarnes112358 on Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

dsfcaptains2005 wrote: One thing that really kinda ticked me off was the initial read through of the brackets. They seemed farly unbalanced, with TJA, Freeman, Cave Spring, AND MW B in the same bracket,
... not to mention Collegiate and Robinson A which also had solid teams. I agree that this was the deeper of the two brackets. The stats seem to support that hypothesis. But, as Palmer mentioned, the top two finishers ended up coming from the other bracket.

I also agree that this tournament was well run.
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

I just want congratulate Maggie Walker and TJ. I guess the only thing I'd like to see different next year is the tournament on a Saturday. The field seemed so small which I also suspect was due to the date. However, it was filled with absolutely stellar teams and we had great competition throughout the day.

Again, kudos to Nick and Steve for putting on a great tournament. The kids and I always have a great time.
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Especially having beaten them fairly easily in the morning, I was really impressed with TJ B in the playoffs. They play with an aggressive Chris Rayesque style that can really work. Watch out for them at nationals.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

The playoff stats have us (MW) with 32 tossups correct in our game against Cave Spring A, which is hard to do with 24 questions in the round. If anyone cares to fix it; our P/B would go up significantly in the playoffs.

I agree about TJ B's style. They reminded me of Stuyvesant, another team we lost to earlier this year. When a team playing that way is on, they are a dangerous team. However, it is hard to consistently avoid the negs. In any case, TJ's future looks bright as they have some excellent young players in development. Not to get too far off-topic here, and it is a little early to declare TJ as next year's favorite, but I would not want to bet against them. They are going to be amazing.