Final Four Teams

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
evilmonkey
Yuna

Final Four Teams

Post by evilmonkey »

Just wondering, but if you had to pick one team to make the Final Four, who would it be?

I'm going with Texas A&M
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Um, Florida?
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Hoki, hoki, hoki - yeah, right, There's no way they're making the Final Four.

My money's on Georgetown.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

MAKING the Final Four is easy (relatively speaking). Winning is not.

Hoyas.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

Florida is the one team that absolutely SHOULD make it to Atlanta.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Of course they should... which means they probably won't. :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I picked all the #1 seeds to fall, but I'm most confident about UCLA defeating Kansas.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

If Barnes actually lets Durant play in the tournament, there's little reason Texas can't beat UNC and make the final four.
Djibouti
Wakka

Post by Djibouti »

Everyone things Florida is amazing stuff, but they're going to lose to Maryland in the Sweet Sixteen. My Final Four are Wisconsin, Kansas, Georgetown, and Ohio State. Georgetown is the biggest lock.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

I don't believe in Wisconsin or G'Town.

I like Florida, Kansas, Ohio State, and Texas. I have UCLA in one bracket as well. I really think the champ will be one of FL, KS, or OSU.
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

O H...I O

GO BUCKS!!!!! (of course, I am completely biased)
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

oregon fo sho

it'll be a surprise
but it's totally gonna happen
gonzagaeagleahy
Wakka

Post by gonzagaeagleahy »

my other three teams are texas a&m, g-town, and ucla
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

I have Ohio St, Wisconsin, UCLA, and USC (my designated cinderella). I really don't think Kansas is any good, but I'm probably biased because the only game I've actually seen them play was at home vs. Oral Roberts.
Christopher Stone
Truman State University '09
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

My final four, in decreasing order of confidence:

Ohio State
Florida
Georgetown
Kansas

I had felt good about Kansas earlier. Then I saw how UCLA did what they were supposed to and blow Weber State all the way back to Utah. Now I'm worried.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

My bracket's final four, in order of confidence, and seed (1,2,3,4):

Florida - winner
Georgetown - 2nd
TAMU
SIU

Also, I see way too many people have only 1 and 2 seeds in the final four, which is unamerican, I mean come on, you have to at least pick one big upset or a mid-major.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
The Answer
Lulu

Post by The Answer »

Florida, Kansas, Georgetown, and Ohio State. I actually have Pitt beating Kansas in the elite 8 in one of my brackets and thats the one doing the best right now. No one can say that Florida will not make it to the Final four because they were all here last year. They have experience and they know what to do when it comes down to the wire. They are my pick to win it all, especially if they make it to the final 4. Wisconsin is up there with memphis as being the weakest 2 seed. They will beat Oregon, but they will then get dominated by Florida. Southern Illinois is a solid pick, but they have to get past Kansas after Kansas rapes Kentucky tonight. Ohio State almost screwed up everyone's bracket yesterday, but I still don't think they will finish any worst than the final four.
I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man
Let me handle my business. -Kanye West
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Florida, Georgetowm, Virginia, and UCLA. I don't exactly have the most faith in it at the moment, and the only money pool I'm in had just a five-dollar buy-in, but at least all four are still alive. Regional bias ftw.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Florida
UCLA
Georgetown
Texas A&M
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

laszlow wrote:Florida, Georgetowm, Virginia, and UCLA. I don't exactly have the most faith in it at the moment, and the only money pool I'm in had just a five-dollar buy-in, but at least all four are still alive. Regional bias ftw.
Not so fast, my friend!

In all seriousness, though, this is a weird tournament this year. Picking the chalk would, so far, give you 27 of the Threatening 32 and 11 of the Sweet Sixteen. How many other people are getting beaten by pure chalk right now?
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

In my cul-de-sac pool, a neighbor's wife who admittedly has seen no college games all year is leading just by nearly always picking the top seeds and then getting lucky on things like UNLV because she likes going to Vegas. Those of us who thought we knew what we were doing tried to pick a 13 and/or 12 to win beause one or two do every year. My pick of Davidson into the Sweet Sixteen is looking a bit overthought now, for sure. So it goes.
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

Byko wrote: In all seriousness, though, this is a weird tournament this year. Picking the chalk would, so far, give you 27 of the Threatening 32 and 11 of the Sweet Sixteen. How many other people are getting beaten by pure chalk right now?
Yup. I was hoping that the Texas loss would mess up brackets for some of the people in my pool ... unfortunately none of them followed closely enough to even consider taking Texas over UNC. On the other hand, most of the same people picked Wisconsin to reach the regional final and Wash St to reach the Sweet 16, so at least that made a small dent.

I'm not sure what happened with the lack of upsets this year. Perhaps teams which might have been primed for staging an upset happened to get matched up with teams less susceptible to upsets -- for instance, Long Beach State might have blown out a highly-ranked plodding Big Ten team, but Tennessee's combination of strong offense and non-sucky defense led to a blowout the other way.
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:In my cul-de-sac pool, a neighbor's wife who admittedly has seen no college games all year is leading just by nearly always picking the top seeds and then getting lucky on things like UNLV because she likes going to Vegas. Those of us who thought we knew what we were doing tried to pick a 13 and/or 12 to win beause one or two do every year. My pick of Davidson into the Sweet Sixteen is looking a bit overthought now, for sure. So it goes.
Same here - I picked Arkansas to upset USC, and George Washington to make the Sweet 16. Bad ideas. I think this is the first year that I can remember where there hasn't been at least one 12 seed upset a 5 seed. I still have 11 of my Sweet 16 left, and all of my Elite 8 and Final Four teams.

(I do claim some credit for using the same logic to pick the Winthrop upset of Notre Dame and the VCU win over Duke.)

The leader in our pool at work won't be the leader for long; she forgot to pick a winner of the championship game in our Yahoo pool. It will be nice to laud victory over my senior manager and my vice president.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Okay, so I guess this is the thread for general tournament discussion.

I'm just horrified by Tennessee's gag last night. You've got OSU down 19 in the first half and Oden with three fouls, then you have to win that game. Even as a Gator who should hate the Vols for their shellacking of us a while back (not to mention making us listen to Pat Summit sing 'Rocky Top'), I really like their style of play--they're fun to watch. It would've been great to see them go up and down vs. Memphis. That game would've looked like a Denver Nuggets-San Antonio Spurs match-up circa 1983.

It's looking like we might have an Elite Eight with four #1 seeds, three #2 seeds, and either Oregon or UNLV (so probably a #3 seed). So much for the madness this year.

PS--so who's going to coach Kentucky? They'll probably make a run at Billy Donovan, but I don't think he has any reason to go face that pressure, and he has shown he can recruit and win at UF. Everyone says Gillespie from A&M is the guy . . .
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Well, at least the games will be exciting... I think there were enough people upset with last year's madness that this year is probably a "correction". It's amazing when a committee actually seems to have done its job right. :wink:

But yes, many of those top seeds got very lucky indeed.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Okay, so we have a Final Four now. Where's the chatter? Thoughts, hopes?

Though I still desperately want the Gators to close out with a second title, as a fan I feel like their making the four again justifies the decision made by Noah, Brewer, Green, and Horford to return (not that that decision even needs justifying). No one can argue they haven't been successful. But they've been pretty grim-faced about their work in the tournament up to now, and I'm hoping that making the four will free them to play hard and not worry about anybody's expectations.

I picked UF vs. Georgetown at the beginning, but I wouldn't mind a rematch of the BCS title game.

PS--a few schools really seem to be separating themselves from the pack in the major men's sports: UF, OSU, USC (the California one--they get OJ Mayo next year), and Texas are legit contenders in football and basketball and should continue to be. UNC may join that pack if Butch Davis gets football going there. Va Tech might be close, too.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Unbelieveable set of E8 games. Obviously the nightcap of Georgetown-UNC was surreal. Final Four is going to be incredible with the lineup of OSU-Georgetown and the title game rematch.

Ohio State v. Florida as a possible championship game tilt in consecutive major sports (meaning football and basketball)... the chances of that...

yeah, I blew my bracket, but a few of them still picked Georgetown to win it. I had thought Florida would get upset in the S16 or E8... revenge for UCLA is going to be quite interesting indeed...

Here's to hoping we get done with Patriot Games on Saturday early. :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

E.T. Chuck wrote:Unbelieveable set of E8 games. Obviously the nightcap of Georgetown-UNC was surreal. Final Four is going to be incredible with the lineup of OSU-Georgetown and the title game rematch.
Be careful -- last year's Final Four was terrible competitively after an exciting Elite Eight.
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

This year's elite 8 wasn't that good, though...

Kansas-UCLA was not that exciting, Memphis-OSU was a beatdown, Florida-Oregon was a good game, but there was never any feel the Ducks were going to win. UNC-Georgetown was good for 40 minutes, but the last 5 minutes were just a long Hoya beatdown.
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Well, If UCLA beats G'town for the championship, then I win the Q-bowl group on ESPN and place 3rd in my dads office pool... so I'm hoping.

I would not like a Florida-OSU rematch. The game earlier in the year - where Ohio State got blown out - turns that idea off in my mind.

Being a fan of the Big East, I have to go with G'town.

Does anyone know when the last time the FINAL FOUR didn't have multiple teams from the same conference?
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

evilmonkeycma wrote: Does anyone know when the last time the FINAL FOUR didn't have multiple teams from the same conference?
1998 when the final four was Kentucky, Utah, UNC, and Stanford.
Djibouti
Wakka

Post by Djibouti »

Isn't it funny how the NCAA Basketball tournament allows for rematches of regular season games on a neutral court? Not to say that Michigan was the best team last year (obviously Florida was) in Football, but it's interesting what a playoff does.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Hey, so there was this game last night, anybody see it? I figured you whippersnappers who stay up late would've had much posting already. But I reckon the game was actually pretty anti-climactic for anyone not a fan of OSU or UF.

I think it's a sure bet that Horford, Noah, and Brewer go pro, while there's a decent chance Taurean Green may come back to hone his game and try to become a first round selection next year. I also figure it's nearly certain Donovan will stay. His parents and wife's parents have homes in Gainesville, his kids have grown up there, his son is a year away from attending UF (and probably being a non-scholarship scrub on the team), and most importantly UF will pay him whatever Kentucky will, and he won't have to live up to their fans' crazy expectations.

As to OSU, Oden is just a nasty beast. When he develops more of a mid-range jumper, he'll tear up the NBA. I hope Conley comes back, as he seems to not be quite ready for the league just yet.

Finally, keep an eye on Brewer in the NBA. He'll be the best pro out of all the Gators.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I'm old... I listened to it on the radio as I was going to bed. It sounded very impressive of a win. I agree on the remark about Conley, if he can keep hitting clutch shots like he did.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:I think it's a sure bet that Horford, Noah, and Brewer go pro, while there's a decent chance Taurean Green may come back to hone his game and try to become a first round selection next year.
I can't see any reason for any of them to stay. Just don't expect too much from Noah in the NBA--he's a much better defensive player than offensive force.
ValenciaQBowl wrote:I also figure it's nearly certain Donovan will stay. His parents and wife's parents have homes in Gainesville, his kids have grown up there, his son is a year away from attending UF (and probably being a non-scholarship scrub on the team), and most importantly UF will pay him whatever Kentucky will, and he won't have to live up to their fans' crazy expectations.
For all that is good in college basketball, I hope you're right. Florida has, thanks to Donovan, developed into a solid program and Kentucky has slowly dipped below the radar screen and just has its history to lean on for basketball prestige. He's already in the better job right now.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Corey Brewer doesn't look like he'll be a good pro. He's a position tweener, doesn't have a great shot, handle, or post play, and doesn't look to be particularly adept at playmaking on the fly. He'll definately be a good defensive role player like Trenton Hassell or Bruce Bowen or something. But I don't see any of the Florida guys being especially good pro players. Especially no-game Noah.

And for god's sake, someone needs to tell Brewer that the T-shirt under the jersey look is just wrong.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Hmm. I have to disagree (of course). At 6'9", Brewer is good size for a small forward in the League, and he can defend twos and fours as well, as he's shown in college, because of his foot speed and wingspan. A great shooter? Maybe not great, but he has sure hit plenty of three-pointers this season, including last night. He's no post player, and as such has no moves there, but his ball handling is acceptable for a non-guard, I think. Besides, he's a great transition player and a devastating finisher (except maybe when challenging Oden--that two-handed block/steal he put on Brewer was NASTY).

But who knows? The comparison to Bowen seems possible, but a Bowen with more to his offensive game than threes.
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Oh yeah... Congrats to Mr. Meuller for finishing SECOND in the bracket competition. Stick to CBI.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

LOL on facebook when I look at where I stack up against my friends (14th out of about 110), Brendan Byrne is in first with 148 points, but the funny part was he had every single top seed win every time. Well it didn't take much thinking, but congrats Brendan.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu