POLL!

Old college threads.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

POLL!

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

All right all, it's time again for the annual pre-nationals poll. For those of you new to this most exciting of useless quizbowl ratings establishments, votes should be based on who you think is most likely to do well at BOTH nationals. For instance, last year Texas A&M proved itself to be top at ACF Nationals then did much worse at ICT, while Chicago didn't win either but did extremely well at both. Thus, Chicago was ranked highly, while A&M was lower. Anyway, here's how it works: Send me an email at ekwartler at gmail dot com with your top 20 teams numbered in order. B/C teams are ineligible for the poll. Base your rankings on released stats from SCT and ACF regionals plus any grudges you may or may not hold against Matt Weiner. In addition, teams should post in this thread any relevant information about their nationals rosters that might not be clear from the stats (for instance, Texas' nationals teams will almost surely include Caleb Lo and the indomitable Vik Vaz, neither of whom played ACF regionals). Anyone is eligible to vote, but if your poll is completely outrageous or skewed in some way I will throw it out (guess what, 20 southeast teams including CCs aren't going to win nationals). Questions, comments, and/or concerns should be posted or emailed to me. Let the mayhem begin.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Did Chicago "win" in the poll last year?
Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
jollyjew
Lulu

Post by jollyjew »

In case anyone feels like including an undergraduate team on their rankings, Carleton will be attending ACF as well as ICT this year. Pat Hope was otherwise occupied for ACF Regionals, but will be on the squad in Nashville.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Matt Morrison wrote:Did Chicago "win" in the poll last year?
They were #1 on the last poll completed, which was in February 2006.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 1451#31451
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

HEY DO POLLS

We don't have enough to tally the results meaningfully yet, and we need people to submit more. Come on, it's a POLL!
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I think it might help to have a list of teams to rank...

MaS
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

ImmaculateDeception wrote:I think it might help to have a list of teams to rank...

MaS
Umm, Sectionals results?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

djayboots
Lulu

Post by djayboots »

In the interest of hearing some more nationals rosters:

Stanford's ACF team will be Mike Sexton, Brian Lindquist, Arnav Moudgil, Kevin Koai. The NAQT D1 team will be Eric Smith, Nico Martinez, Frank Guan, Kristiaan De Greve, and Kevin Koai, and the D2 team will be the same as at sectionals.

Kevin
Aaron Kashtan
Lulu

Post by Aaron Kashtan »

Florida's NAQT D1 team will be Aaron Kashtan, Eric Blanton, Zach Harper, and Stephen Jackson.
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

For ACF, we're trying to get Denny Carmassi, a hut on fowl's legs, a rock in the shape of a buzzer, and a pair of Andrew's sandals. Failing that, we'll try to get Andrew, Jeff Johnson, Subash and Zeke. If that falls through, I'm not sure what we'll do.

For ICT, we'll keep the same line-up if it seems to work (i.e., scores precisely 7 points per bonus), or replace Denny Carmassi with another pair of sandals.

All the people posting to say polls are great/send in a poll ballot/here's our ACF Nationals team line-up have already sent in their ACF Nationals packets, right? If not, may I just say HEY DO PACKETS. It's nice to know who the consensus champions are, but it's even more nice to find out who the actual champions are by playing a high-quality national tournament. This is hard if there aren't enough packets in to allow for meaningful results, and I'm sure the editors would like teams to submit more packets. If you're going to ACF Nationals and you haven't sent in a packet, stop posting about defunct sodas you hated 12 years ago in Wyoming and start writing questions.

-Seth
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

This one goes out to you, Seth. :chip:

1. Chicago
2. Brown
3. Illinois
4. VCU
5. Carleton
6. Texas
7. Vanderbilt
8. Stanford
9. TAMU
10. Virginia
11. Rutgers
12. Michigan
13. UCLA
14. Princeton
15. Yale
16. Maryland
17. USF
18. Caltech
19. Wayne State
20. Harvard

Honorable Mention:

FSU
South Carolina
Florida
Dartmouth
Wisconsin
Toronto
Maggie Walker (lolz >>> Wolperx)
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Careful, Seth, if you score exactly 7.77 points per bonus, you'll go back to the quizbowl future where CBI has swallowed the earth and the only remaining ACF event is a clandestine gathering of geriatrics in Weiner's underground fallout shelter.
your mom
Lulu

Post by your mom »

It's a sad time for Michigan quiz bowl.

Our ACF Nationals team will excitingly consist of a depressed, reluctant, and surly Will Turner, myself, and like a couple of sandwiches. and andy kravis.

In the ever-decreasing likelihood that we actually make it out to Minneapolis for ICT, we'll be fielding a team of Will Turner, Matt Lafer, myself, and Yevgeny Shrago.

word.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

I like the Vandy team and I think they are good, but I don't think they are 10 spots better than USF. Discuss.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I like the Vandy team and I think they are good, but I don't think they are 10 spots better than USF. Discuss.
No.

Maryland isn't sending a DI team to NAQT, but it's ACF team will consist of Mike Bentley, Jonathan Magin, and possibly some other people, possibly including myself.

EDIT: Not that anyone cares, but it seems I will be at ACF, where I look forward to more bonuses on James Fenimore Cooper short stories.
Last edited by DumbJaques on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

TAMU should be ranked higher, assuming the same team is returning to defend its title. Also Harvard is way, way better than #20; I would argue that Yale should be just below Rutgers and Harvard should be the next place down.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Thanks, Jerry. I'm not sure I agree, but we'll see what we can do to prove you right in Minneapolis. Our team there will consist of Adam Hallowell, John Lesieutre, Julia Schlozman, and me.

I wanted to point out in response to what Kevin wrote that, having lost three times at the ICT to the version of the Stanford team not including Eric Smith, that's a very good team.

Edit: can't spell my teammates' names.
vig180
Wakka

Post by vig180 »

wd4gdz wrote:I like the Vandy team and I think they are good, but I don't think they are 10 spots better than USF. Discuss.
I think it has something to do with the fact Vandy went to a non-Southeast tournament so a lot of other teams/voters got a chance to see them play and how they stacked up against some of the other teams. USF, however, does seem to have a particularly strong team as they showed at the SCT, so I would think they should be ranked much closer to Vandy. Also, the addition of Aaron to Florida ought to lift them into at least the upper teens.

I'm particularly impressed to see Carleton ranked #5. For an all-undergrad school, that seems like quite a feat.
Dartmouth College Bowl
Lulu

Post by Dartmouth College Bowl »

I agree with Jerry about Harvard, they are a very solid team and are definetely going to have a good showing at ICT.

As for us, I have no idea how anyone included us in the poll...I was pretty shocked.

We will be at Div II ICT with the same teams we had at Sectionals. We don't have the funds to go to ACF Nats this year but we definetely look forward to going next year.
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

In terms of arguing where teams should be, I'd point out that I think the poll is highly irregular because it represents a weird incomprehenisble amalgam of acf and naqt ability. Generally, it seems weighted a little more toward ict than nats. For instance, a full tamu team is obviously way too low and texas probably too high based on acf projections.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

We're going to be much stronger at ACF than NAQT this year. For ACF Nats, it'll be the same team we took to MLK (which is the only time all year we had our 4 best together), with the possibility of Robert Trent making a glorious return after 2.5 years and replacing Jack, the freshman who also played with us at ACF Reg's and led our DII NAQT team. For NAQT, Paul Gauthier realized he needs to take his GRE Math test that weekend, so we'll be weakened a good deal without him. As far as us vs. USF, I don't think Rob from USF is playing at ACF, but he is pretty solid for NAQT. We aren't as good at NAQT in general, anyway, so I'm not sure where we should really be ranked according to whatever the standards are for this poll. Seventh may be a bit generous for us, and I'm really not sure how much better our full team is compared with USF's full team since we haven't played as such. USF is certainly a team that can surprise people though, as is UF if Aaron gets a round that suits him well.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Ryan Westbrook wrote:texas probably too high based on acf projections.
Apparently Vik Vaz is also making his glorious return at ACF Nats.
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

No, he isn't.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Ryan Westbrook wrote:
No, he isn't.
I'm going on what Kwartler told me last week, so I guess things have changed. I'll let Eric give a definitive answer.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Sorry to mislead you Matt. Vik won't be playing at ACF nats, but he will be playing ICT.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

I also think I should make a couple of comments on the poll. I didn't have a whole lot of entries. Everyone on this thread should have sent me a poll, since you seem to care about the results. Also, TAMU is so low because two of the accepted submissions did not rank them. Most people also did not rank Wayne State. That being said, I think that teams who are taking squads to both nationals should get a boost in ranking, as this poll encompasses both (a fact that perhaps should be reevaluated?). TAMU is not going to ICT, so even though I think they're better than Carleton I ranked Carleton above them, as I think Carleton will not only attend but also do well at both nationals. As far as USF goes, who outside the Southeast has any idea what they're actually like? Maybe they are that good. I ranked them based on Billy's testimony and SCT stats. I am anxious to see how they look, personally. As for Harvard, I tend to agree with Jerry that 20 is low, but again, they're not on the list for ACF, and this poll is about both. They're not good enough to be ranked highly in spite of that fact. Anyway, comments concluded.

EDIT: I happen to agree with Ryan that we are ranked a bit highly. I think our ICT team w/vik is a damn fine squad that could go top 5, but our ACF team is not only Vikless but also does not feature powerhouse player Caleb Lo, so I don't think we'll do particularly well.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

grapesmoker wrote:TAMU should be ranked higher, assuming the same team is returning to defend its title.
Since the poll is hypothetical anyway, wouldn't it be better for it to be based on teams having their full lineup (whether a hypothetical situation or one that's ocurred at some point this year - ie the "fullest" lineup)? That way people wouldn't wait for everyone to post their lineups and more might vote. Personally, for ACF-ICT balance, instead of waiting for teams to post lineups, I mostly went by Sectionals and ACF Regs/sometimes Fall, and did my best to approximate team strength based on a full lineup - either what was apparent from tournament results or from my own knowledge. For instance I gave Maryland a boost with the assumption of Chris Ray being on their team even though he was D2 at Sectionals, and then I ranked North Carolina because they're damn good with Dan Wright and Will Schultz, but I think the only time they both played was at Penn Bowl. I admit my rankings were probably more ICT biased, but the slant would have been helped by greater ACF Regs attendance to give a better idea of ACF ability.

By the way what was the breakdown of first place votes?

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Matt Morrison wrote:By the way what was the breakdown of first place votes?
Every accepted ballot had Chicago at #1.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Also, now that you mention UNC.....why aren't they coming to ACF nats? They took two teams to Penn Bowl, but can't take one to ACF nationals? According to mapquest, Nashville is only one hour longer by car than Philly, and it's one hour shorter than the Tulsa drive we've made twice this semester, once with two teams. That's pretty lame, I say. I hear those in charge want 27 teams for nationals. UNC seems like a prime candidate to help them out.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Kit Cloudkicker wrote: UNC seems like a prime candidate to help them out.
They've been contacted, but have yet to respond, as far as I know.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Who are the new teams for nats btw? I heard about kendall joining. Also if the field gets to 27, what is the schedule going to look like?
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

Alabama is going to be there, but our strength, not that it really matters, is prob. going to deminished by 1/4, as our main science guy most likely isn't going to make it.