Is Van Halen the most disfunctional band of all time?

Old college threads.
quizbowllee
Auron

Is Van Halen the most disfunctional band of all time?

Post by quizbowllee »

Just wondering if there are any other hardcore Van Halen fans on this board. If so, are you in agreement that they are the most disfunctional group in the history of rock? I mean, my GOD, get your crap together, Van Halen!!! We're tired of the letdowns!!!

Eddie is an awesome musician is is my musical idol. But, as a person, he's sorta a douche.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Van Halen sucks.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

If you want dysfunction, it's hard to overcome the Norwegian death metal outfit Mayhem, whose members variously killed themselves in front of each other or stabbed each other to death.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Jesus. I just read the wikipedia article on Mayhem. Yeah, they are way more dysfunctional than Van Halen.
What is it with Scandanavians making satanic/pagan metal.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Matt Weiner wrote:If you want dysfunction, it's hard to overcome the Norwegian death metal outfit Mayhem, whose members variously killed themselves in front of each other or stabbed each other to death.
When I said dysfunctional "band," I was referring to actual MUSIC. Death Metal doesn't count.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Take that, death metal!
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:Take that, death metal!
Right!

Mayhem says they're "black metal," not "death metal.

Take that!

(I really don't understand what the difference is)
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:Mayhem says they're "black metal," not "death metal.

Take that!

(I really don't understand what the difference is)
Black metal sounds like a diseased sheep trying to scream at a fence, death metal sounds like Cookie Monster kicking a guitar.

Matt Weiner wrote:Black metal sounds like a diseased sheep trying to scream at a fence, death metal sounds like Cookie Monster kicking a guitar.
Props.

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Matt Weiner wrote:Black metal sounds like a diseased sheep trying to scream at a fence, death metal sounds like Cookie Monster kicking a guitar.
I'm afraid to ask what image would possibly describe Asian rap.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:What is it with Scandanavians making satanic/pagan metal.
I think it's the 18-hour nights during the winter.

Although I must confess to enjoying Lordi's videos on YouTube.
xXWinter_FoXXx
Lulu

Post by xXWinter_FoXXx »

quizbowllee wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:If you want dysfunction, it's hard to overcome the Norwegian death metal outfit Mayhem, whose members variously killed themselves in front of each other or stabbed each other to death.
When I said dysfunctional "band," I was referring to actual MUSIC. Death Metal doesn't count.
Awww, that hurt my death metal feelings, Lee. :sad:
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed by Foxx in no way reflect those of his coach and/or team.
majormajormajormajor
Kimahri

Post by majormajormajormajor »

VH is pretty disfunctional, but Metallica? I mean Lars Ulrich is always pissed at Kirk Hammett, and James Hetfield just gets drunk and stoned and comes in to practice that way.
Why, it's the holy handgrenade of Antioch!
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

majormajormajormajor wrote:VH is pretty disfunctional, but Metallica? I mean Lars Ulrich is always pissed at Kirk Hammett, and James Hetfield just gets drunk and stoned and comes in to practice that way.
But, they actually make albums and play gigs... Van Halen teases fans with reunions and awesomeness and then falls apart.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Jackson Five, Janis Joplin and whatever band she happened to be fronting that day, Sex Pistols, Yardbirds, early Pink Floyd, late Beatles, ...
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

The problem can be traced entirely to the fact that Eddie Van Halen is totally batshit insane. Brilliant on the axe, but his mind was screwed up long before he got cancer. You should've heard him on Howard Stern talking about how he has a natural cancer cure that cured him and could save millions of lives, but big business didn't want the world to know about it. Also, his son can really play too. Alex got all the sanity genes in that family.
majormajormajormajor
Kimahri

[quote]Alex got all the sanity genes in that family.[/quote]
That's true.
majormajormajormajor
Kimahri

I just found out EVH checked himself into rehab. :(
majormajormajormajor
Kimahri

This is how Death metal and Black metal were created.
Thrash Metal + Dying cookie monster=Death Metal
Death Metal + Farting bass drum noises + satan=Black Metal
xXWinter_FoXXx
Lulu

Post by xXWinter_FoXXx »

majormajormajormajor wrote:This is how Death metal and Black metal were created.
Thrash Metal + Dying cookie monster=Death Metal
Death Metal + Farting bass drum noises + satan=Black Metal
You like COB, which is like, the most Death Metalish Death Metal that Death Metal ever wrought.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed by Foxx in no way reflect those of his coach and/or team.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Call me a tool for saying this, but there was a recent interview in Rolling Stone with David Lee Roth talking about a possible reunion tour. He sounded positive and even enthusiastic about it and said that it would probably also result in a new album, but also stated that he wanted nothing to do with Sammy Hagar or Michael Anthony. In fact, those two accepted Van Halen's induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame alone, without any of the Van Halen family present at all. Bastards.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Pshaw.. Burzum beats out Mayhem for complete f**dupness any day.

Article where Varg Vikernes justifies killing Euronymous and compares himself to Thor.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Paradox »

Fleetwood Mac since its inception has been waaaay more dysfunctional than Van Halen could ever hope to be, what with band members wandering off mid tour to join cults, and all the bandcest and drugs.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

laszlow wrote:Call me a tool for saying this, but there was a recent interview in Rolling Stone with David Lee Roth talking about a possible reunion tour. He sounded positive and even enthusiastic about it and said that it would probably also result in a new album, but also stated that he wanted nothing to do with Sammy Hagar or Michael Anthony. In fact, those two accepted Van Halen's induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame alone, without any of the Van Halen family present at all. Bastards.
Are you calling Hagar and Michael Anthony bastards for accepting the nomination without Eddie, Alex, and Dave? I hope not.

I don't blame them at all for going. They earned it. Dave could've been there, but the HoF folks told him he couldn't perform without the rest of the band. So, the egotistical tool boycotted the biggest honor in rock music.

Eddie can't get his crap together, which is sad. He's disappointed fans over and over and over again. Alex is just along for the ride.

Anyway, I don't blame Michael and Sammy at all for going. At least someone in the band has enough stability to SHOW UP.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Won't someone please think of Gary Cherone? He's the one man who is truly wronged in all of this.

Eric
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

This thread needs more mentions of Guns n Roses