RESULTS: Red and White Bowl (3/31/07) @ NCSU (Raleigh, NC)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
pakman044
Rikku

RESULTS: Red and White Bowl (3/31/07) @ NCSU (Raleigh, NC)

Post by pakman044 »

We are now ready to announce that the second Red & White Bowl will be held on Saturday, March 31, 2007, at NC State University in Raleigh, NC. The tournament will be an untimed tossup/bonus format with NAQT questions. We will be using NAQT IS-64, so if you have attended or will attend a tournament using IS-64, you will not be eligible to come to this tournament.

We are still working on the details for the tournament, so we don't have a lot of specifics yet. In general though, things will be similar to last year's edition, and we are looking at taking somewhere in the neighborhood of 24-32 teams, although we aren't certain on that issue yet.

A more formal announcement will be forthcoming. In the meantime, if there are any questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected].

Patrick King
Last edited by pakman044 on Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

Here is the official announcement from the tournament director. If you have any questions, please either let him (or me) know.

Patrick King
~~~~~
The Quiz Bowl Club at North Carolina State University is pleased to invite your team to the 2007 N.C. State High School Tournament, titled “The Red and White Bowl,â€
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

I have now posted the registration form.

Patrick King
pssmith3
Kimahri

Red and White Updates

Post by pssmith3 »

This is Paul Smith, your friendly neighborhood tournament director. For those interested in the Red and White Bowl, I've got some updates for you. Here is the current field, with the number in brackets indicating how many buzzers a team is going to bring:

Clayton [1]
Northwood [0]
Raleigh Charter [2]
South Caldwell [2]
Ft. Mill [1]
Richmond Senior [2]
Rocky Mount [0]
Lee County [1]
Alexander [0]
Southern Lee [1]
Caldwell [1]
Hoggard [1]
Robinson [?]
Irmo [?]
James Island Charter [?]
Chapel Hill [?]
Cary Academy [?]
Freedom [?]

If any of this information is incorrect, please let me know. If your team is not listed on here and you've sent information, let me know that as well.
Other information about the tournament will be posted in the coming weeks.

Paul Smith
pssmith3
Kimahri

Update

Post by pssmith3 »

Sorry, add

Cary Academy [?]
Freedom [?]

to that list of teams in the field.
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

If you want more teams, Raleigh Charter would be happy to bring a second.

Eric
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

After four rounds at lunchtime, here are our stats:
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~paking/ncata/2007 ... dandwhite/

Patrick King

EDIT: New link
Last edited by pakman044 on Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

Here are some brief results. I still have to finish posting the doubled SQBS output (prelims, playoffs, overall), but that'll come later tonight.

After seven rounds of prelims, the following teams advanced to the playoffs:

1. James Island (7-0, 22.38 P/B)
2. Raleigh Charter (7-0, 17.23 P/B)
3. Cary Academy (6-1, 18.79 P/B)
4. NCSSM (6-1, 14.48 P/B)
5. Fort Mill (5-2, 18.47 P/B)
6. Chapel Hill (5-2, 15.67 P/B)
7. Hoggard (5-2, 14.48 P/B)
8. Robinson (4-3, 16.00 P/B)

Playoffs:
Quarterfinals
1. James Island d. Robinson, 605-10
4. NCSSM d. Fort Mill, 285-180
3. Cary Academy d. Chapel Hill, 270-235
2. Raleigh Charter d. Hoggard, 290-120

Semifinals
James Island d. NCSSM, 420-190
Cary Academy d. Raleigh Charter, 315-180

Final
James Island d. Cary Academy, 465-130

3rd Place
NCSSM d. Raleigh Charter, 375-150

Individual stats
1. Nick Tarleton, Cary Academy, 102.86ppg
2. Travis Pritchett, James Island, 75.00ppg
3. Josh Smith, Richmond Senior, 48.57ppg
4. Sam Ferguson, Fort Mill, 47.86ppg
5. Amanda Lu, Hoggard, 47.14ppg

Neg winner (the grecian pot):
Kevin Munger, Raleigh Charter (9 negs)

I'll be restructuring the links in my folder, so I'll post updated links shortly. Until then, the above link will still function.

Congratulations to everyone who participated!

Patrick King
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

Complete stats are now posted at http://www4.ncsu.edu/~paking/ncata/2007 ... dandwhite/

To add a few closing notes, I would like to thank all of the staffers who gave up a Saturday to help out: Paul, Stuart, Justin, Andrew, Hugh, Anne, Corey, James, Matt, Kevin, Peter (he even got indoctrinated by one of roommates in the art of misadventure), Brad, Ahmed, William, and all of the scorekeepers whose names I didn't get written down.

In the end, the tournament wound up taking an hour longer than it should have (the plan was to be done by 5 and it wound up taking until 6). There were a few contributing factors--some readers who weren't as experienced as I would like also had to keep score for themselves (it took me a couple of tournaments myself to get the hang of it), we had on the order of five different buzzer failures throughout the day that required replacements, and due to the nature of the schedule, delays cascaded throughout the schedule. The lunch got extended in fact because some rooms were significantly behind others and we wanted to make sure everyone had at least an hour for lunch. It could have been worse: a fire alarm went off in the connected building to the west (Winston), and I was this close to making everyone evacuate. Luckily, we didn't need to run any games in that building!

There was a little confusion about the proper way for breaking ties for selection and seeding in playoffs (there was a different written version versus the announced version). After reexamining the issue this morning, I've reached the conclusion that both versions produced the selection and seeding that actually happened.

Some of the teams also noticed that the strength of schedule varied quite a bit. Due to the nature of having 20 teams in three divisions, I decided on a schedule that gave teams in the 7 team divisions one game against a team from another division, and the teams in the 6 team division would play one team in each of the other two divisions. Since the determination of who a given team's crossover games were against was completely random, there was a certain amount of unevenness involved. I also think the divisions themselves were slightly imbalanced, but my feeling was that this was due to the fact that misassessed a few teams as being stronger/weaker than they actually were.

I did receive a few reports from staffers that a very small number of coaches behaved in an unacceptable and unsportsmanlike manner towards some of the staffers and in general behavior. I should note that I am not saying this because this was widespread, but the behavior in my opinion was unacceptable (and had I known immediately or been there myself, might have been penalized). I will not go any further into this issue, but I hope everyone will remember that this is after all, just an activity, and that the point is to help educate the students in a number of areas--one of which is how to set an example to students for how they should conduct themselves, even when things might not seem to be going their way.

On the whole though, I was very pleased with how things went, and I hope everyone had a good time. As was noted on site, due to the fact that NAQT HSNCT field is full, the top 15% of teams at the tournament (James Island, Cary Academy, and NCSSM) can get on the waitlist (although that waitlist is nearly twenty teams long at the moment). While the Red and White Bowl wasn't on the PACE list of affiliated tournaments (I never got around to looking into it), teams may want to apply for an at large bid to the NSC.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected].

And once again, thanks to everyone who attended!

Patrick King
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Individual stats, at least as far as Raleigh Charter is concerned, are squirrely. Philip is the only player with the same number I recorded. Kevin had dead on 50ppg in the prelims by my accounting. He did have 9 negs, so if that's the top number, he did earn it.

Eric

P.S. I am officially calling out Cary Academy. If you have a player pulling down 100+ ppg on NAQT sets, you need to get out and play at more tournaments! You beat or held your own against good teams on Saturday--nice job.
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

rchschem wrote:P.S. I am officially calling out Cary Academy. If you have a player pulling down 100+ ppg on NAQT sets, you need to get out and play at more tournaments! You beat or held your own against good teams on Saturday--nice job.
They got to more stuff this year than they did in the past. I wonder what year in school Nick Tarleton is - that kid is solid.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
ProsperoSMS
Wakka

Post by ProsperoSMS »

I asked Nick after a round I read why they weren't at NCOAST, and he said he'd never heard of it. We've got to keep the lines of communication going to get teams like that at more tournaments.

I only thought we saw CA at RTO & Red & White this year, and they should have attended far more. They were completing a break when we had Belles, but I want to see them there in the future.
pakman044
Rikku

Post by pakman044 »

To previous thread readers who were expecting the wealth of posts after this point, I split them off and sent them to their very own topic.

Patrick King