Ohio 2006-07

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Ohio 2006-07

Post by dxdtdemon »

Who have been the best teams in Ohio this year? I've been out of the high school quiz bowl loop for a few years, and was wondering if teams like St. Xavier and Copley were still good.
DH TTHS
Lulu
Location: about 15 miles north of that joke of a city Dayton, Ohio

Post by DH TTHS »

Yea, they are still quite good(if Ohio had a poll they would each be in most if not everyone's top ten.) Other powers include Fisher Catholic, Garfield Heights, Walnut Hills, Lakota East, and North Olmsted to name a few.

By the way, who are you? Just wondering.
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

And Tippecanoe- I assume you were being modest.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

It's about time y'all showed up. :cool:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

I'll give you a hint about who I am:
The high school that I played for won our region the four years I went there, 2000-2003, the first three in one region, and the fourth in another, and after that year, the team got discontinued.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Oh, look, it's Jason Mueller 2.0.

Let's see, I know I've heard that "my team was awesome, then disbanded when I left (not that I'm implying anything at all, everyone!)" tune around here recently. . . I just can't seem to place it. Seriously, you couldn't just say what your name was without noting how awesome!!!1 you are, or how you were responsible for some random team's regional success?
jdd2007
Lulu

Post by jdd2007 »

Ohio is very strong this year, but no team has emerged as a juggernaut. The most successful have been Tippecanoe, Fisher Catholic, Garfield Heights and Copley. None of the southwestern teams travel much, but St. Xavier, Walnut Hills (my school), Milford and Lakota East have notched victories or close losses against the four powerhouses.
DH TTHS
Lulu

Post by DH TTHS »

quantumfootball wrote:I'll give you a hint about who I am:
The high school that I played for won our region the four years I went there, 2000-2003, the first three in one region, and the fourth in another, and after that year, the team got discontinued.
Um, I'm going to need another hint I guess. I am Tipp's captain, who just would have been starting high school in 2003, so I really have no idea what was happening back then.
I would however agree with my Walnut Hills counterpart that Ohio seems to be having a fairly strong year, better than last year in my opinion. The fact that two Ohio schools got into the final four at Wayne State would be evidence towards that.
Last edited by DH TTHS on Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Demetrius Haas
THE TIPPECANOE HIGH SCHOOL

This season dedicated in memory of Barbaro and Anna Nichole Smith.

RIP
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

DumbJaques wrote:Oh, look, it's Jason Mueller 2.0.

Let's see, I know I've heard that "my team was awesome, then disbanded when I left (not that I'm implying anything at all, everyone!)" tune around here recently. . . I just can't seem to place it. Seriously, you couldn't just say what your name was without noting how awesome!!!1 you are, or how you were responsible for some random team's regional success?
Quoting for emphasis. Please do not do this.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I've only been able to see Tippecanoe so far and they are very impressive. They're a strong team that can make a deep run at NAQT or PACE.
quantumfootball wrote:I'll give you a hint about who I am:
Classy.
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

THAT'S NOT A VERY GOOD HINT MR. LAFER!!!!
woohoohockey1
Kimahri

Post by woohoohockey1 »

I think CJ should get some love this year as a regional powerhouse. They went 12-0 to win the GCL (including a big win over St. X). Nobody in the league really came close to them all year; they handed St. X their first GCL loss in (I believe) 4 or 5 years. They only lost 1 match all year (to St. X in the final of the Northmont Tourny). OK, maybe I'm bias, but I think that's pretty good.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

My guess would be Beavercreek. Mainly because I think WC started in 2003... and before that they were somewhere else.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
DH TTHS
Lulu

Post by DH TTHS »

woohoohockey1 wrote:I think CJ should get some love this year as a regional powerhouse. They went 12-0 to win the GCL (including a big win over St. X). Nobody in the league really came close to them all year; they handed St. X their first GCL loss in (I believe) 4 or 5 years. They only lost 1 match all year (to St. X in the final of the Northmont Tourny). OK, maybe I'm bias, but I think that's pretty good.
I thought St. X beat one of the Lakotas in the finals at Northmont, unless I'm thinking of another tourney, or maybe Northmont had more than one tournament. Regardless, we(Tipp) know who you are(haven't played you, but have heard of you), and will be looking forward to playing you at regionals. I think the reason that not many people are talking about you is because you haven't been at very many tournaments, although the same could be said about most of the good teams in the WC and SW regionals.

Regarding the opening poster, I was actually thinking the same thing as Mr. Kilner. Big Red perhaps?
Demetrius Haas

RIP
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

The Beavercreek varsity that graduated in 2003 had Big Red, another white kid and a Chinese kid, plus a girl that was really really good.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

I haven't been on the board since I've had a bunch of finals, but the reason why I didn't say who I am is because I had done some things in the past that almost got me banned from Academic Challenge, and almost got Ohio banned from the PAC, and so I thought that there might be a bunch of people who have grudges against me. Yes, I am Jonathan Graham from Beavercreek. I was not trying to imply that I had anything to do with the cancellation of the program at all.
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

quantumfootball wrote:I haven't been on the board since I've had a bunch of finals, but the reason why I didn't say who I am is because I had done some things in the past that almost got me banned from Academic Challenge, and almost got Ohio banned from the PAC, and so I thought that there might be a bunch of people who have grudges against me. Yes, I am Jonathan Graham from Beavercreek. I was not trying to imply that I had anything to do with the cancellation of the program at all.
Do you care to elaborate for those of us who are ignorant and VERY curious of these happenings? :wink:
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

The Beavercreek part of this thread bothers me slightly. It seems that quantumfootball has tricked himself into thinking that everyone obsesses over something he did in 2003. Now, of course I'm interested in what happened to piss people off, but at the same time I think people need to take a step back and think "is something I did in 2003 with quizbowl really important enough that all the Ohio players and coaches on the board are going to come in droves like the Mongol horde to get on my case?" I highly doubt it. Unless it's something absolutely atrocious.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:The Beavercreek part of this thread bothers me slightly. It seems that quantumfootball has tricked himself into thinking that everyone obsesses over something he did in 2003. Now, of course I'm interested in what happened to piss people off, but at the same time I think people need to take a step back and think "is something I did in 2003 with quizbowl really important enough that all the Ohio players and coaches on the board are going to come in droves like the Mongol horde to get on my case?" I highly doubt it. Unless it's something absolutely atrocious.
I'm not obsessing, I'm just curious. I don't see what the big deal is if I'm just curious.
Steven Wellstead
NAQT writer

That comment was directed at quantumfootball, not swwFCqb.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
DH TTHS
Lulu

Post by DH TTHS »

charlieDfromNKC wrote:The Beavercreek part of this thread bothers me slightly.
This whole thread in general is pretty lame. I am just glad that Mr. Kilner made the Ohio site.
Demetrius Haas

RIP
emactruman
Lulu

Post by emactruman »

What is the Ohio site?
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Because I can't respond on OAC's forum:

In defense of my team, we played some really sub par matches today. We were also missing two of our starters. Not to mention the balance of those questions. I generally respect IS sets, but the distribution was crazy. I recall one painting tossup, no music tossups, and a bunch of social studies. IMO, it was light on the lit too, but thats just me. To sum it up, a subpar performance on our part.

Also, I would like to point out, when we played Walnut, the score at the end was a bit of a misnomer. Like, I believe at one point in the game it was 140 to -5. Not that this anything but circumstantial, considering we lost and Walnut won, but the attacks on our team are a tad unnecessary.
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

brownboy79 wrote:Because I can't respond on OAC's forum:

In defense of my team, we played some really sub par matches today. We were also missing two of our starters. Not to mention the balance of those questions. I generally respect IS sets, but the distribution was crazy. I recall one painting tossup, no music tossups, and a bunch of social studies. IMO, it was light on the lit too, but thats just me. To sum it up, a subpar performance on our part.

Also, I would like to point out, when we played Walnut, the score at the end was a bit of a misnomer. Like, I believe at one point in the game it was 140 to -5. Not that this anything but circumstantial, considering we lost and Walnut won, but the attacks on our team are a tad unnecessary.
I don't believe anyone made an attack on your team, did they? The only thing that was expressed was satisfaction that an Ohio team was able to defend it's home turf over a very tough out of state team. You probably misunderstood the intention, because I'm sure that no one would say unkind things about your very good team.
Steven Wellstead
NAQT writer
DH TTHS
Lulu

Post by DH TTHS »

swwFCqb wrote:

I don't believe anyone made an attack on your team, did they? The only thing that was expressed was satisfaction that an Ohio team was able to defend it's home turf over a very tough out of state team. You probably misunderstood the intention, because I'm sure that no one would say unkind things about your very good team.
I would have to agree with this. People are pumped up that an Ohio team was able to hold its own against you guys because we all have so much respect for you. There is no question that you are a top caliber national team, and have been that way for quite some time.
You must also understand the situation in Ohio. We have often been the whipping boys of the powerhouses from Michigan and Kentucky. Teams like DCC often come to Ohio and leave a trail of rampage and crushed spirits in their wake. Heck, I can remember last year when your A team beat our A team by 500 or so points at Central Hardin. It was just been this season when our best teams have been able to hold thier own against the national powerhouses from the bordering states, and people are excited about it because it shows an upward trend for quizbowl in our state.
If you thought anything I said on our board was insulting to you, I am sorry. But it wasn't meant to be that way at all.
Demetrius Haas

RIP
DH TTHS
Lulu

Post by DH TTHS »

And if you wanted to, there would be no problem at all with it. There are other people who post who are not natives of the buckeye state. And we are mostly are friendly bunch(except for the people from Cleveland who are still bitter becaue the Browns suck and the Indians blew it against the Marlins, and Cleveland really isn't part of Ohio anyway). I'm Tipp's captain by the way.
Demetrius Haas

RIP
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

No, its not that, I just don't have a membership to OAC's forum. Not a big deal.

And I understand that people are happy that they won, and I apologize for being overboard on my response. Our team this year is constantly being compared to the one last year, and I'm slightly tired of it. Especially after our team went 6-4 at nationals last year (the same team that played yesterday) and everyone says Dunbar's having a horrible year. Oh well. I definitely came across the wrong way. But when someone mentioned Dunbar's team last year, I got kind of heated. Sorry.

EDIT: I forgot, I had a question. In Ohio, is it convention to not play as well in the prelims in order to not show your full hand? Because some teams appeared to get significantly better in the playoffs (I can think of one in particular)
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

brownboy79 wrote:No, its not that, I just don't have a membership to OAC's forum. Not a big deal.

And I understand that people are happy that they won, and I apologize for being overboard on my response. Our team this year is constantly being compared to the one last year, and I'm slightly tired of it. Especially after our team went 6-4 at nationals last year (the same team that played yesterday) and everyone says Dunbar's having a horrible year. Oh well. I definitely came across the wrong way. But when someone mentioned Dunbar's team last year, I got kind of heated. Sorry.

EDIT: I forgot, I had a question. In Ohio, is it convention to not play as well in the prelims in order to not show your full hand? Because some teams appeared to get significantly better in the playoffs (I can think of one in particular)
I don't think intentionally, no, but it's pretty common for teams to pick up speed as a tournament goes on. I don't think that's unique to our state though.
DH TTHS
Lulu

Post by DH TTHS »

brownboy79 wrote: EDIT: I forgot, I had a question. In Ohio, is it convention to not play as well in the prelims in order to not show your full hand? Because some teams appeared to get significantly better in the playoffs (I can think of one in particular)
Speaking for my team, we did play better in the playoffs then in the prelims. Part of this was because one of our best players missed the prelims for the ACT, but came in time to make the playoffs, where he played very well.
Plus I think some teams might have been slow because they were feeling out the competition. I have played teams like Fisher and Garfield so often that I could tell you who is on the A team and what their individual specialties are. But Walnut Hills doesn't travel much, and of course no one in Ohio has played Dunbar this year. So all you really have to go on in terms of those teams speed and skill level is their reputations(or in our case, how bad each team raped our B team).
Demetrius Haas

RIP
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Does anyone know anything about stats from the Wright State tournament?
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

brownboy79 wrote:Does anyone know anything about stats from the Wright State tournament?
They don't seem to be up yet, but, when they are, are supposed to be located here:

http://www.wright.edu/cupa/2007rri_results.htm
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Sorry for the same question again, but is that a wrong link or something? It's not showing anythign.
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

brownboy79 wrote:Sorry for the same question again, but is that a wrong link or something? It's not showing anythign.
No, it's the right link, they just still haven't put it up. Some problems on their end, evidently.
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

Results will be up by this evening at the latest. We have had some problems with our web hosting capabilities, and the university blocked anything from going up until they had it resolved, which happended this morning. My web programmer is setting it up now.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

The stats are up and the link works.
brownboy79
Rikku

Post by brownboy79 »

Are you sure? Didn't work for me.

Go to the stats under the tournament announcement threads. Those definitely work.