POSTPONED: Rumble on the Pike (Fall '07) @ R. Montgomery HS

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
bigmac
Lulu

POSTPONED: Rumble on the Pike (Fall '07) @ R. Montgomery HS

Post by bigmac »

This is our preliminary, date-grabbing announcement for Richard Montgomery's 4th annual Rumble on the Pike Academic Tournament. This tournament will be held on May 12th in breath-takingly scenic Rockville just off Rockville Pike. Our field has been quite strong in past years, featuring the usual slate of excellent teams from the MD/DC/VA in addition to a few visitors from farther away. This year, we will be running packets of 20 tossups with unrelated bonus questions. We are very excited to announce some new features to this year's tournament:

1. Everyone plays at least six games.
2. We will be using power bracketing after the first three games to match teams with other teams of relatively equal strength.
3. Timed halves to ensure that we keep on schedule.

And, of course, a junior boxing glove for the members of the winning team.

Registration will begin at 8:30 am in the auditorium lobby. The first game will begin at 9:00am. The power-bracketing and playoff structure depend on the total number of teams, but we plan to finish, as in year's past, before 4 pm.

More details to follow.

Email [email protected] to register or for more details.
RM coach
Djibouti
Wakka

Post by Djibouti »

Perry Hall would love to attend, except this is the date of our Baltimore Semi-Final and Finals match on It's Academic, as it is for the other strong Baltimore teams (likely including Dulaney, MSJ, Hammond, Parkville/Severna Park, Centennial/Walkersville, Calvert Hall, etc.), who would likely be a part of the field, as well as Senior Prom. I understand that it's difficult scheduling around the television tapings, other tournaments, school events, etc. but could you possibly reconsider? Provided a better date, Perry Hall would love to attend. Thank you for your consideration.
Kimahri

Post by Guest »

This also conflicts with AP exams.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Wow, you guys have had 3 different formats in 4 years now. :smile: TJ should be there.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I believe that RotP has actually had 3 different formats in 3 years now. All of them own.

Would you rather study to display your knowledge of European history or biology to the college board, or use it to smoke someone? Come on, not a tough call.
bigmac
Lulu

Post by bigmac »

I wish it did not conflict with the Baltimore It's Ac tapings, but we cannot do Sundays and our own region's taping dates and some other tournaments (States, e.g.) are on the other dates. We wish you could be there, Dhibouti; The questions will be for sale (price TBD).

As for AP exams, does your school have students sitting for exams on Saturday? Our school offers billions of exams (challenge index and all), but not one on Saturday. Are there many schools that do this? If so, we would look into tinkering with the schedule. If you mean it conflicts with _studying_ for an AP exam, I am afraid there is nothing we can do except maybe a review session for AP Lit during lunch.

We hope to see lots of teams there.
RM coach
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Is this tourney still scheduled to run? If so, Kellenberg might be interested in driving down.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I'm under the impression that it's been postponed until the fall.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

DumbJaques wrote:I'm under the impression that it's been postponed until the fall.
Can you confirm or deny, bigmac? I've been trying to rustle up some underclasspersons since this is the day after our prom. If this is postponed, I need to stop harassing them.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Could we please have some kind of official word on this tournament's status?
bigmac
Lulu

Post by bigmac »

Sadly, the tournament has been postponed due a lack of sign-ups. See you in the fall.
RM coach