Consolidated College Bowl results thread

Old college threads.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Lemma »

I don´t hate you.... I don´t know you well enough to hate you and it is silly to hate anyone over quiz bowl. I disapprove of some of the things you did Saturday and have laughed at the stories I have heard of the past but hate is kinda strong I would say.
Kent Buxton
Truman State University '09
TSU- Science Education Grad Program '11
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

I rec everyone check out http://z4.invisionfree.com/Academic_Com ... topic=1382

Hi-larious! Will you sing sweet home alabama with Lee Henry on guitar and then follow it up with your atlanta ACF song parody? Please.

Also, Jason, seriously, a post saying WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! applying to CBI regs, and your stat dropping approx. 200 times is the hight of tacky. And thats coming from ME.
mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

I heard about the NAQT SCTs there and I may have heard of the Tulsa ACF Regional, but with no club, no car, and little money, I couldn't exactly go play there. Plus, I can't play in NAQT events because I write for them.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

well I stat dropped too .... but that was just in response and I included Kyle´s so it wasn´t so bad .... that´s a party foul though, I know
Kent Buxton
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

GO THE HELL AWAY

Edit: That was one of the most entertaining links I've ever seen off of hsqb. And to think the wonders of the MO message board had been unknown to me for so long.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

DumbJaques wrote:GO THE HELL AWAY

Edit: That was one of the most entertaining links I've ever seen off of hsqb. And to think the wonders of the MO message board had been unknown to me for so long.
Cmon man, admit this has been a riot. Today would've been twice as dull were it not for mr. "I've been single for 3.5 years" http://z4.invisionfree.com/Academic_Com ... wtopic=320
mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

GO THE HELL AWAY
Me, Kent, or both?

EDIT: 3.5? That's an old thread. I'm just under two months away from 6 years now.
Deckard Cain
Rikku

Post by Deckard Cain »

Wow, I never knew so many people were interested in our little Missouri board.

Some of the older threads are the funniest.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Quote:
GO THE HELL AWAY

Me, Kent, or both?

EDIT: 3.5? That's an old thread. I'm just under two months away from 6 years now
Take a wild guess. Since you scored 100 ppg on CBI, I'm sure you'll get it right.

Also, I am forced to concede that this is the most I've laughed as a result of an hsqb thread since Ryan Westbrook's post about gender equality. But I will gladly sacrifice my own comedic enjoyment if it means keeping the likes of those two MO threads I just read through away from hsqb forever.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

mujason wrote:I heard about the NAQT SCTs there and I may have heard of the Tulsa ACF Regional, but with no club, no car, and little money, I couldn't exactly go play there. Plus, I can't play in NAQT events because I write for them.
Plus, you can't score 100 meaningless points per game by beating up on sophomores from West Armpit Basement Technical School and whatever players from legitimate programs such as WUSTL and Truman State were somehow tricked into attending a tournament whose games are roughly equivalent to answering riddles found on popsicle sticks. You forgot to mention that and I'm sure it's the most important reason why you didn't show up to any real tournaments this year--you seem to have had little trouble rounding up the travel and the (significantly larger amount of) funds needed for College Bowl.
Last edited by Matt Weiner on Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

DC, care to link some choice bits? I'm constantly Laughing on-line here.
mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

Well, for the record, CBI has always been paid for through the university and the other legit tournaments that the club did came through the student organization that got funds from tournament hosting and the student organization activities allocation process. As the club absolutely died during my year off from school, it would be somewhat hard to restart the club and then there would be a lag for funding and all kinds of potholes in the way of an actual club that could play in the legit tournaments. Also, Mizzou happened to be hosting CBI Regionals this year. I wish I had the resources (and the depth in knowledge) to play ACF, but some things just don't happen.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

So, I believe based on this discussion there are two kinds of schools that play CBI.

1. Schools that, whether through ignorance or inaccessibility, do not attend other tournaments.

2. Schools that send club members to tournaments in other formats, and generally agree that said other formats are significantly better, but nevertheless continue to play CBI because (1) it costs them absolutely nothing to do so, and (2) they still believe that if you don't have to pay for any part of it, Charlie's Rule Number 3 still applies in the case of CBI.

Therefore, I don't believe that any school with a reasonably functional club is actually tricked into sending club members to CBI events; we do this of our own free will. Attack us all you want, but paradoxically, it costs the club less to play CBI than any other tournament.
Deckard Cain
Rikku

Post by Deckard Cain »

Rothlover wrote:DC, care to link some choice bits? I'm constantly Laughing on-line here.
There are some gems tucked in these:

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Academic_Com ... wtopic=563

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Academic_Com ... wtopic=234 (the first page or so)

There are more, but I can't remember where.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

I just found the best avatar ever
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Also I'm not ugly, I got second place at a baby contest once!
All right, that's it, internet over. This wins.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
EBD
Lulu

Post by EBD »

Deckard You have to explain the whole fish bit.

Oh and if you are new and want a recap on who Jason Mueller is a handy reference guide is provided by UMR

http://web.umr.edu/~cbowl/jason.html
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Jason Mueller wrote:I am a good man with a gift
I think this rivals Peter McCorquodale's "knowing science is not science" argument and Willie Chen's arguments from alternate universes as the most false thing ever uttered by a member of this board. Since you clearly don't understand that you're not wanted, I really hope we'll be able to goad you into saying more preposterous things in the future.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Paradox »

mujason wrote:I remember kicking a chair once, but never throwing one. Also, I've scored pretty high (40+) on those online AQ tests, so I may actually be slightly autistic, or more likely, as Aspie (social ineptitude, mad math skills, and adherence to routines, so I'm 3/3 on major indicators). By the way, not everybody hates me. Andy Wehrman said something very nice about me recently.
You distinctly threw a chair when you lost to Pitt State two years ago. I was there.
mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

It was a kick!
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Deckard Cain wrote:
Rothlover wrote:DC, care to link some choice bits? I'm constantly Laughing on-line here.
There are some gems tucked in these:

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Academic_Com ... wtopic=563

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Academic_Com ... wtopic=234 (the first page or so)

There are more, but I can't remember where.
Bless you.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

mujason wrote:It was a kick!
NUH-UH
Jerry Vinokurov
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

mujason wrote:I wish I had the resources (and the depth in knowledge) to play ACF, but some things just don't happen.
I will personally arrange for you to play for free at any ACF tournament near Mizzou in your playing future, if nothing else just to see noted nicest guy in quizbowl Seth Teitler smack you with his Morford and Lenardon. I would also travel a long distance to participate in said real event just to witness and defeat your crapitude. Take a damn bus to a tournament or actually exert some effort and find people at your LARGE STATE UNIVERSITY who might be willing to play quizbowl. Stop saying "I don't have a team because WORK IS HARD." Also, clearly ACF IS IMPOSSIBLE. Why don't you check out the ACF Fall packets from the past few years, which are freely available online? There are no tossups on Confucius from what he says on fortune cookies, but I think we can all agree that most people know who Mark Twain is. Douchebag.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Kit Cloudkicker wrote:
mujason wrote:I wish I had the resources (and the depth in knowledge) to play ACF, but some things just don't happen.
I will personally arrange for you to play for free at any ACF tournament near Mizzou in your playing future, if nothing else just to see noted nicest guy in quizbowl Seth Teitler smack you with his Morford and Lenardon. I would also travel a long distance to participate in said real event just to witness and defeat your crapitude. Take a damn bus to a tournament or actually exert some effort and find people at your LARGE STATE UNIVERSITY who might be willing to play quizbowl. Stop saying "I don't have a team because WORK IS HARD." Also, clearly ACF IS IMPOSSIBLE. Why don't you check out the ACF Fall packets from the past few years, which are freely available online? There are no tossups on Confucius from what he says on fortune cookies, but I think we can all agree that most people know who Mark Twain is. Douchebag.
Cmon, was it not Mueller himself who said he once placed THIRD in an ACF Fall tournament, behind only Andrew Yaphe and Seth Teitler, clearly making him an elite player... ? What does it mean to say that you wish you had the depth to play ACF, but then you try and brag about your skills playing at ACF, Jason? Seriously, take a bus to Nats, how far is it? There are plenty of women you can freak out there while you get your ass handed to you by every program from Chicago to UIC.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Columbia is only 7 hours from Nashville. For a national tournament, that's practically next door. We'll see you there, right Jason?
Jerry Vinokurov
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

After all, you got 100 points a game. Just imagine what you could get if you didn't have teammates stealing your buzzes!

Also, any sort of propulsion of a chair, no matter which limb is used to propel it, is generally frowned upon.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

jonpin wrote:Also, any sort of propulsion of a chair, no matter which limb is used to propel it, is generally frowned upon.
What if it was propelled by love, which has manifested itself into the shape of a limb?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
UERD
Lulu

Post by UERD »

leftsaidfred wrote:
jonpin wrote:Also, any sort of propulsion of a chair, no matter which limb is used to propel it, is generally frowned upon.
What if it was propelled by love, which has manifested itself into the shape of a limb?
I think we've found our solution to declining fossil fuel reserves and increasing oil prices right here.
看!别人不懂的汉子!
What if [the chair] was propelled by love, which has manifested itself into the shape of a limb?
- lefsaidfred
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

Kentb426 wrote:well I stat dropped too ....

That's what she said.
Christopher Stone
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

ecks wrote:

That's what she said.
Gutsy first post.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

dang ... topher got me good

oh dang .. the anti-topher monster will probably kill me now
Kent Buxton
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

ecks wrote:

That's what she said.
What is that creature in your avatar?
Jerry Vinokurov
chune72
Lulu

Post by chune72 »

grapesmoker wrote:
ecks wrote:

That's what she said.
What is that creature in your avatar?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domokun
kshen
Kimahri

Post by kshen »

ecks wrote:

That's what she said.
I don't get it.
two up two down
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

i don´t either .... normally when ¨that´s what she said¨ is used by truman aco members, it don´t make sense at all
Kent Buxton
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Someone trying to be Michael Scott probably.
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

Rothlover wrote:Someone trying to be Michael Scott probably.
Nah. Not directly, at least... 'that's what she said' is the most commonly heard phrase on Truman college bowl trips, and it's pretty much an unspoken rule it should only be used in contexts in which it doesn't make sense.

Although there are a few members who really enjoy The Office, so maybe they got it from there...

Besides, 'that's what she said' is the best way to introduce yourself to a new group of people.... isn't it?

Oh, wait...
Christopher Stone
mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

So now that the field is set (Purdue in Region 9 due to Illinois' declining their bid and Providence from Region 1 winning the wildcard), I punched in the regional numbers in my secret formula to come up with a prediction:
1. Williams
2. Minnesota
3. Baylor
4. Ohio State
5. USC
6. Mizzou
7. Southern Virginia
8. Washington
9. St. Bonaventure
10. Florida
11. New Mexico
12. Maryland-Baltimore County
13. Providence
14. Purdue
15. Seton Hall
16. Northwestern

Of course, anything can happen with CBI questions. Also, I'm hoping we finish five spots higher than the formula predicts.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I predict that this "national tournament" will include six actual quizbowl teams, three of whom managed to qualify for the ICT.

Oh look my prediction came true
mujason
Wakka

Post by mujason »

Well, I'm just trying to use buzzermetrics to guess a result; and yes, CBI does suck. Also, Matt, nice work on your NAQT S-Value replication; it seems like quite an improvement from the formula Patrick King and I developed a few years ago.
Jeremy Gibbs Lemma
Rikku

I would not bet against Ezra and MN. CBI kind of levels the playing field though and makes knowing a lot of real information pretty irrelevant so we will see what happens.

I would have to agree about there only being 6 real teams though. .. maybe a couple more than that.
Kent Buxton
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

The whole concept that CBI is predictable enough to project a top 5, much less the exact order of 1-16, is indicative of several severe blows to the head. Please stop projecting who you "can't count out" or who "is looking like a favorite" as if this is some kind of standardized measure of a team's competitive strength, when in fact randomness and stupidity of answer selection end up being the most crucial factor.
emactruman
Lulu

Post by emactruman »

As someone who prefers NAQT it is hard for me because at Wayne State all we currently do is CBI. Still we made progress in that forum with a largely amalgamized team. Luckily my syudent organization is slowly bringing about change.
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

Yeah, given the qualifiers' respective PPG in the round robin, I think that any of the top 12 on that list has a good chance at winning.
ecks
Wakka

Post by ecks »

DumbJaques wrote:The whole concept that CBI is predictable enough to project a top 5, much less the exact order of 1-16, is indicative of several severe blows to the head. Please stop projecting who you "can't count out" or who "is looking like a favorite" as if this is some kind of standardized measure of a team's competitive strength, when in fact randomness and stupidity of answer selection end up being the most crucial factor.
Quoted for truth.
Christopher Stone
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

Kit Cloudkicker wrote:Morford and Lenardon
Great mythology textbook, or greatest mythology textbook?
Quinn James
Furman University '10
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

grapesmoker wrote:Also, I would like to propose that anyone bragging about personal CBI stats be beaten with an ACF trophy plaque. Since the set of such people is exactly identical with the set of Mizzou quizbowl players named Jason Mueller, I believe this arrangement should be satisfactory for all.
DumbJaques wrote:The whole concept that CBI is predictable enough to project a top 5, much less the exact order of 1-16, is indicative of several severe blows to the head.
...Coincidence?

[EDIT]
We played a round of college bowl at our HS practice today. Our freshman got most of them. Not to, ya know, knock College Bowl, but those wouldn't even pass for good HS questions. It was so hard to avoid reading their High School Bowl Questions. Just thinking about them makes me want to cry.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007