ANNOUNCEMENT: DUCK Bowl 6 (3-17-07)

Old college threads.
clydeclod
Lulu

ANNOUNCEMENT: DUCK Bowl 6 (3-17-07)

Post by clydeclod »

Apologies for the cross-posting...

DePauw University will hold the 6th incarnation of its DUCK Bowl open trash tournament on the school's beautiful Greencastle, Indiana campus. Any and all teams are welcome to attend. My hope is to award a winner for both an "open" division and an "affiliated" division (those teams composed of students attending a university somewhere). Teams which are comprised wholly of students from different universities may still form an "affiliated" team.

The particulars are as follows:

WHEN: March 17, 2007. Registration from 8 am to 8:45. Team meeting from 8:45 to 9. Play to begin at 9. Please note Indiana is on Eastern time year-round now, following its adoption of daylight saving time.

WHERE: Asbury Hall, DePauw University, Greencastle, Indiana

FEES: $80 per team base fee for a school's first team, $10 off for each subsequent team (i.e. 2nd team is $70, 3rd team is $60, etc)
$5 discount per buzzer system (max 2 discounts, though we'll accept as many buzzers as you have))
$5 discount per every one hundred (100) miles the furthest member of the team had to drive to reach the tournament. Note: This is driving distance accrued (one-way) on tournament weekend. For instance, you may not attend Indiana University and say "Joe is from ALASKA..." You still drove from Bloomington. For the sake of round numbers, discounts will be given in $5 increments and not pro-rated, since no one wants to pay something like $46.89 and then divide that cost by four team members.

Minimum fee: $50

PACKETS: This year's tournament will NOT require packet submission from interested teams. The questions will be written primarily by myself and Eric Berman. We plan to work very hard on these, starting immediately. Each round will contain an audio toss-up and a visual bonus, just to keep things interesting.

FREELANCING: We will accept freelance packets in exchange for an electronic copy of the rest of the tournament questions. If you'd like to write a freelance packet, e-mail me at blindmoose AT yahoo DOT com.

We'd love to see a large field and hopefully Spring Break will not prove a hindrance to teams attending. I think the biggest field the tournament has ever seen is 12 teams. My hope is the cost is small enough and the concept interesting enough that we can get to 15 or 20.

TO REGISTER: E-mail me at blindmoose AT yahoo DOT com and indicate how many teams you'll be bringing and how many buzzer systems you can supply. In return, I'll send you an invoice so you can get an idea how much your team will owe. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Stan Jastrzebski
DPU '03
clydeclod
Lulu

Freelancing and Registration

Post by clydeclod »

Eric Berman and I are in the thick of writing questions for this year's DUCK Bowl, but we wanted to re-iterate our desire for freelance help. We'll be happy to give up the rest of the set for a packet's worth of questions. If you ask nicely, we may even be able to locate last year's set, too. If you'd like to contribute questions, please e-mail [email protected] (blindmoose-AT-yahoo-DOT-com) ASAP so we know to be expecting them from you. If we could have them by March 1, that would be optimal.

Similarly, if your team wants to register for the tournament, send a note to the above address and let me know. We've had preliminary interest from the following teams:

Grinnell
Notre Dame
Bowling Green

There's plenty of space left, so please come to Greencastle to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. The question set is designed to be accessible to even the newest teams, but still challenging to experienced players.
clydeclod
Lulu

Post by clydeclod »

The organizers of DUCK Bowl are pleased to announce we're nearing a deal with Boston University to host an Eastern mirror of our event. I'm sure the directors of that tournament will make the requisite post soon. If someone in a westerly or southerly direction from Indiana would also like to mirror the tournament, we'd be happy to oblige. E-mail me at blindmoose-AT-yahoo-DOT-com for more information.

In other news, the field for the event at DePauw on March 17th is growing, but there's still plenty of space. Currently, the following teams have expressed interest:

License to IL
Cincinnati
Grinnell
Bowling Green
Notre Dame

We'd really like to hear from:
Michigan
Illinois
Northwestern
U of Chicago
Iowa
WUSTL
Rose-Hulman
Pittsburgh

Again, the tournament is NOT packet submission (your tournament organizers and a growing list of freelancers are doing all the hard work) and there are all kinds of discounts, especially for teams coming from more than 100 miles away. Come, play cheaply and enjoy your St. Patrick's Day in Indiana. E-mail blindmoose-AT-yahoo-DOT-com to register or ask any questions.
clydeclod
Lulu

Post by clydeclod »

Though we're NOT changing the date yet, I'm curious to know if more people would come to Greencastle if we held the tournament a week earlier (March 10). If you fall into this category, please either respond here or send me a message to that effect at blindmoose-AT-yahoo-DOT-com. Similarly, if you're currently scheduled to attend and that does doesn't work for you, let me know that, too. Thanks.
shim
Kimahri

Post by shim »

Oops. I posted in the wrong one.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

I might be inclined to bring a team if it was March 10th, can't say for sure though.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
clydeclod
Lulu

Need ONE team for DUCK Bowl

Post by clydeclod »

DUCK Bowl is all but written and we currently have 5 teams. We'd love just ONE more team so that we can avoid byes and get everyone 10 games for their money instead of 8. Even if you cannot field a full four-person team, please e-mail me at [email protected] if you're interested and I'll try to hook you up with a free agent if I can.
clydeclod
Lulu

DUCK Bowl Rescheduled

Post by clydeclod »

Because of a team dropping out over the weekend, we've decided to push DUCK Bowl back a couple weeks and re-open registration to anyone who's interested.

THE NEW DUCK BOWL DATE IS SATURDAY, APRIL 7.

Hopefully, this date will be better for a greater number of teams. Please convince your squad to come and send me an e-mail at [email protected] indicating your intent. There are bunches of discounts and the questions should provide good practice for either TRASHionals or the NAQT ICT. Even if you've submitted a freelance packet (and are not playing at the mirror sites in Boston or Athens, GA), we'd love to see you and we'll accommodate all comers.

We've worked since November on the questions and they're painstaking edited to be of the best quality possible. We'd really like people to hear them from those who wrote them. If there's any way we can make it easier for your team to attend on April 7, please let me know.
clydeclod
Lulu

Field Update

Post by clydeclod »

As of right now, it looks like we'll have 6-8 teams at DUCK Bowl on April 7th:

Greg Sorenson et al
Jeremy White, Bright Hight et al
Greg Bossick, et al
Univ. of Iowa
Scott Chupack et al
IUPUI
Up to 2 DePauw house teams

There's still time to sign up -- the field is literally getting better by the day. We've also gotten some good feedback from our mirror sites and have edited the questions further to make them even better.

E-mail [email protected] to register.
clydeclod
Lulu

QUICK RESULTS

Post by clydeclod »

By virtue of running the table with a 10-0 record, The Source Awards, Presented by Donaghy Estates (Jeremy White, Brian Hight, Lorin Burte, Harry Searing) took the title in DUCK Bowl VI Saturday. Finishing second was Dude, Where's My Team? (Greg Sorenson and Mike Tsybulevski), who went 8-2. Bo Knows Trash (Greg Bossick, Bob Kilner, Justin Sharp and Jim Hrdlicka) finished third. Full stats to come soon.
clydeclod
Lulu

Question discussion

Post by clydeclod »

Sorry to hold up discussion of the questions so long. Anyone playing at the mirror at Boston University or the Jekyll Tournament By The Sea may now address individual questions and answers. Hope they were enjoyable!