Singles questions available

Old college threads.
grapesmoker
Sin

Singles questions available

Post by grapesmoker »

The singles that were played at Illinois Open and the Sunshine State Invitational are now available here. Feel free to discuss them if you want; feedback is also appreciated.
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

pdf more like wtf amirite?
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Dolemite wrote:pdf more like wtf amirite?
Ok, there have been some complaints about this before. I'm not going to go into a whole lecture about the superiority of LaTeX over WYSIWYG processors like Microsoft Word, a program which I detest with the hatred of a thousand suns. I'll just say that 99% of the time, I conform to the standards of other editors when they expect Word documents, and I don't complain; when I format a tournament that was mostly written by me, I'm going to allow myself the luxury of doing it in the way I think makes it look best. Some people have some sort of weird and unreasonable objection to installing Acrobat Reader; if you're one of those people, sorry, I'm not going to go to the trouble of converting my files to Word, but if you search the site with Google, it will give you the option of viewing the file in HTML. If someone is very keen on doing converting this to Word and wants to email me the converted files, I'll put them up.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Hey I'd prefer working in some programs that are widely available on my work license. :) No args from me, Jerry.
The Time Keeper
Auron

I just wanted to be the first one to say it.

I don't really care about file extensions when it comes to text-only documents.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Just a note on your salat question. I think most people use the term wuduu' instead of ghusl. The latter refers to more general washing, and the former is specifically for religious ablution.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

LaTeX is for the win.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I use PDF for all of my personal files, such as schoolwork, papers, etc., so I see where Jerry is coming from. However, in quizbowl, the big problem with PDF-formatted packets is that PDF readers, at least in my experience, don't have "split screen" view options like Word does, so you have to scroll from tossups to bonuses and back again. And when you're reading at practice and have to do that, people yell at you for being slow.

But on these packets, where there are no bonuses, I don't see why PDF is a problem.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Bruce wrote:However, in quizbowl, the big problem with PDF-formatted packets is that PDF readers, at least in my experience, don't have "split screen" view options like Word does
The latest Acrobat Reader certainly has a split-screen option. Anyway, let's please keep this thread to question discussion rather than the relative merits of file formats.
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Bruce wrote:I use PDF for all of my personal files, such as schoolwork, papers, etc., so I see where Jerry is coming from. However, in quizbowl, the big problem with PDF-formatted packets is that PDF readers, at least in my experience, don't have "split screen" view options like Word does, so you have to scroll from tossups to bonuses and back again. And when you're reading at practice and have to do that, people yell at you for being slow.

But on these packets, where there are no bonuses, I don't see why PDF is a problem.
You know how to fix this really easily? Copy the file, scroll one to tossups, and one to bonuses, and quick switch when appropriate. That being said, PDFs are larger files and still a bit more hard to maneuver. Personally, I don't think it'd be so terrible to have them available in both formats if you're really that wild about pdf, since a lot of people aren't.
The Time Keeper
Auron

Kit Cloudkicker wrote:
Bruce wrote:I use PDF for all of my personal files, such as schoolwork, papers, etc., so I see where Jerry is coming from. However, in quizbowl, the big problem with PDF-formatted packets is that PDF readers, at least in my experience, don't have "split screen" view options like Word does, so you have to scroll from tossups to bonuses and back again. And when you're reading at practice and have to do that, people yell at you for being slow.

You know how to fix this really easily? Copy the file, scroll one to tossups, and one to bonuses, and quick switch when appropriate. That being said, PDFs are larger files and still a bit more hard to maneuver. Personally, I don't think it'd be so terrible to have them available in both formats if you're really that wild about pdf, since a lot of people aren't.
JERRY SAID NOT TO DO THIS.

fake edit: I like the questions!