DC/Metro area 2006-07

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

fool_by_compulsion wrote:What did the number turn out to be for how many teams qualified for nationals?
It was a 46-team field, so 7 would have qualified for the HSNCT (46*.15=6.9). I think Evan said that 8 qualified for PACE, though.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

If the JIAT was PACE affiliated, and I assume that it was, then according to PACE's guidlines, 8 teams indeed qualified.

See http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 797380cc81
quizbowlplaya69
Kimahri

gds

Post by quizbowlplaya69 »

GDS is the most underrated team in the Washington, DC area and even the country.

Discuss.
BuzzerZen
Auron

Re: gds

Post by BuzzerZen »

quizbowlplaya69 wrote:GDS is the most underrated team in the Washington, DC area and even the country.

Discuss.
*cough*Jonathan Thompson*cough*
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

quizbowlplaya69 wrote:GDS is the most underrated team in the Washington, DC area and even the country.

Discuss.
If you're from GDS, I just wanted to let you know that it is generally looked down upon to use your first or an early post to complement yourself or your team. There is no rule against it, but other people might look at any other posts you make down the road and mentally label you a self-promoter.

Also, providing evidence for your stance will help win people over more than just sharing your stance.

That being said, welcome to the board and I hope you find it useful.

Fred Morlan, chief administrator
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

To be honest, I wasn't all too impressed with GDS. Yes, we lost by 5 to them, but had I not choked a bit under pressure (4 negs), we wouldn't have lost; as it were, we only lost by 5 anyway (had I been more patient with my team in waiting for an answer to a bonus part . . . and so on). Then again, we also beat Collegiate 415-60, so what do I know?
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

Brief results from Blake:
1st- RM
2nd- Gonzaga
tied 3rd- Centennial & Quince Orchard

Thanks to Blake for running a well written and efficient tournament. As always the tournament finished before 3 pm.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

I want to compliment Joe Caulfield on running a solid tournament and especially for very good questions for this early in the year. They were definitely academic, accessible for most all of the teams in the tournament, and not confusing.

With Richard Montgomery now having won 2 tournaments already this year, do they look to be the favorite in the DC area again? From what I could tell, they were hardly challenged in this tournament.
wereplayingbasketball
Lulu

Post by wereplayingbasketball »

Though I think we played pretty well, I wouldn't say we were hardly challenged - our quarterfinal game against GDS was extremely close. We were down 80-20 after the lightning round but managed to pull it out.
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

RM was/is extremely good and is definateley one of the best teams in the DC area. does anyone know if blake was pace-affiliated?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I don't remember... but please let me know if Blake was affiliated so I can add to the list.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

It is--here's the link to the results regarding PACE qualifiers:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3100
ieppler
Rikku

gds game

Post by ieppler »

wereplayingbasketball wrote:Though I think we played pretty well, I wouldn't say we were hardly challenged - our quarterfinal game against GDS was extremely close. We were down 80-20 after the lightning round but managed to pull it out.
GDS actually led the game until the 35th question and only lost by 20. At one point, they were up by 50.

To me, the biggest news of the Blake tournament was Quince Orchard's upset of TJ. Is this the end of the TJ dynasty?
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

To me, the biggest news of the Blake tournament was Quince Orchard's upset of TJ. Is this the end of the TJ dynasty?
There are a few things wrong with this statement

1) A tournament like Blake (speed questions, only a 2 or 3 of the top national teams) cannot EVER be used to gauge anything meaningful like that, particularly as teams frequently don't send their top lineups anyway

2) I think the TJ dynasty ended last year at NAQT nationals, somewhere around the time the team lost to Wilmington Charter B. Whether or not the "dynasty" is over (which is a dumb debate anyway, since it was really mostly just those 4 or 5 guys) is a pointless thing to debate anyway, but I can't imagine that losing to QO at Blake's tournament means anything at all.[/code]
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

After scrimagging against GDS several times this year, I find that GDS is very fast and very tough on quick questions, but they lack the depth of knowledge to be a major threat in tossup bonus.

I heard that they outscored RM in the quick category round but were outplayed significantly in the tossup round at Blake.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

I certainly wouldn't call us a dynasty. We try to be a strong program and put in the legwork, but the three years of dominance were really due to 5 incredibly talented players. As for the upset, I will note for the record that I was the only regular A team member on the team that day, and I certainly wouldn't go claiming we're done for based on the results of an It's Academic-style tournament (not our focus) without a full complement.

Incidentally Ted, good job getting Gonzaga's tournament to be tossup/bonus (assuming I heard your announcement correctly). Based on last year's questions, I think you guys can pull it off well.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Incidentally Ted, good job getting Gonzaga's tournament to be tossup/bonus (assuming I heard your announcement correctly). Based on last year's questions, I think you guys can pull it off well.
WATCH OUT FOR JAMAICANS
bigmac
Lulu

Post by bigmac »

After scrimagging against GDS several times this year, I find that GDS is very fast and very tough on quick questions, but they lack the depth of knowledge to be a major threat in tossup bonus.
It is too early for me to have such sure opinions; improvement, atrophy, and hot streaks can change the whole look of the field. Besides, it's not like GDS didn't show up at TJ. Didn't they place 6th? They must have beaten some good teams to do that.

Sure, the Blake tournament favors teams with buzzer speed more than other tournaments, but its top few finishers tend to be solid teams all around (see TJ over Gov in 03-04, a preview of that year's PACE final). Except in extreme cases -- "one-word question rounds" anyone? -- strength of the field can still make a tournament notable.

TJ is TJ. A few tough losses may make them human, which I define here as "more like other good teams." The invincible standard set by the 04-05 TJ (see NAQT record books) is not one that any program can sustain. All in all, no has seen what they can do at a tossup-bonus tourney. You all know they still have a good chance to win each tournament they go to. Few teams can say that.

BTW, QO is a legitmately good team; their team this year is even better than the infamous Akshay years. They gave us all we could handle in the semis of another local "speed" tournament (completed on 10/16) which had Whitman taking second and BCC rounding out the top four.
RM coach
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

BTW, QO is a legitmately good team; their team this year is even better than the infamous Akshay years.
Seriously? But what about screaming at moderators? Protesting 10 questions in a 20/20 format? Perpetrating violene against teammates like they're a couple of Dominicans who got too close to you cruiser? Hasn't QO lost what really matters in the long run?
It is too early for me to have such sure opinions; improvement, atrophy, and hot streaks can change the whole look of the field.
So what you're saying is . . . the question is not complete?
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

In a desperate, futile attempt to return this thread to its original topic, here's my thinking on the D.C. area:

The best local teams are TJ, RM, and Gonzaga. RM is better than TJ and Gonzaga at NAQTs. Speed questions the field is a little more level.

I don't think this year will see the devastating bloodrush of Montgomery County teams that usually sacks the national tournaments. Most of the local teams have lost the majority of their A Teams and will not be as strong as in previous years. Of course, take that with a grain of salt, since TJ's recent tournament has shown us all how silly it is to discount a team because some of their members graduated.

The point is that it looks like a good year for other teams in the country to make a showing for themselves at Nationals. God knows, we may even break out of the perennial domination of East Coast teams, although I think that somewhat unlikely.
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

I may be stretching the regional definition a bit here, but here's who I'd say the top 5 are right now:

1. Richard Montgomery--two championships in two tournaments in October is definitely the way to make a statement
2. State College--just slightly behind RM; would be nice to see more results from them early in the year
3. Governor's School--I think they'll only get stronger as the year goes on, and I think their only losses this season have been to #1 and #2
4. Gonzaga--a runner-up finish at Blake and winning a very competitive field this past weekend in Long Island make this a team to watch
5. Thomas Jefferson--not a strong as in previous years, and more speed-oriented questions are not their forte, but they're still definitely worth paying attention to

Waiting list: Georgetown Day, Blake, Walt Whitman, Quince Orchard, Centennial, Collegiate (in no particular order)
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

For TJ this year, I think availability is a big thing. I personally think Allan Fan could be monstrous, but he seems to have so many other commitments that tournament attendance suffers. Simply put, a team that only occasionally fields their top four cannot hope to compete with those who consistently do so.
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Simply put, a team that only occasionally fields their top four cannot hope to compete with those who consistently do so.
Very well said. Consistency is key.

I'd like to clarify that my statement concerning RM's superiority over TJ in NAQTs was based on deductive reasoning rather than any actual victories. Since I don't want to count out a team just because they graduated a few players last year, I'll reserve judgement until we actually play a game.

Also, I would just like to say that Walt Whitman has been coming out a lot stronger than I expected them to this year, considering they lost all but one member of their A Team in the annual senior graduation massacre. If they improve over the year I could easily seem them as one of the top five.
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

Byko wrote:I may be stretching the regional definition a bit here, but here's who I'd say the top 5 are right now:

1. Richard Montgomery--two championships in two tournaments in October is definitely the way to make a statement
2. State College--just slightly behind RM; would be nice to see more results from them early in the year
3. Governor's School--I think they'll only get stronger as the year goes on, and I think their only losses this season have been to #1 and #2
4. Gonzaga--a runner-up finish at Blake and winning a very competitive field this past weekend in Long Island make this a team to watch
5. Thomas Jefferson--not a strong as in previous years, and more speed-oriented questions are not their forte, but they're still definitely worth paying attention to

Waiting list: Georgetown Day, Blake, Walt Whitman, Quince Orchard, Centennial, Collegiate (in no particular order)
Considering Georgetown Day's 150 point win over Gonzaga in the TJ playoffs, I think it is unfair to say at this point that Gonzaga is better than Georgetown Day. It is still early in the season, but based on the results of actual games between the two teams, one cannot say that Gonzaga is superior.
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

I'd like to point out in that game we had a reader who got through only 15 questions, 5 of which we negged on. And at TJ our bonus conversion and powers were considerably higher than yours. In our worst possible game in which we handed you five free tossups with our negs you were only able to beat us by 120 points due to your poor bonus conversion.

And we beat GDS soundly when we scrimmaged them on speed questions, which is supposed to be their strength. Frankly if there is anyone who isn't in the top five who deserves to be, I think it is Blake, who can't be faulted for not having an opportunity to play in its own tournament.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Hopper wrote:
Byko wrote:I may be stretching the regional definition a bit here, but here's who I'd say the top 5 are right now:

Considering Georgetown Day's 150 point win over Gonzaga in the TJ playoffs, I think it is unfair to say at this point that Gonzaga is better than Georgetown Day. It is still early in the season, but based on the results of actual games between the two teams, one cannot say that Gonzaga is superior.
Admittedly, part of why the teams on the waiting list are there is because I have yet to see some of them play. I haven't seen a game this season involving GDS, Whitman, or Centennial thus far this season, and I do give some greater value to what I see rather than strictly on statistics. It's just a judgment call at this point, and I'll be looking forward to seeing everyone more frequently as the season goes on.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Seriously, this is like your 3rd post and all three of them have been "we're so awesomee!!!1" Ok, so you beat a team. Do it more than once before you start making declarations like "GDS is the most underrated team in the mid-atlantic." Also, keep in mind that this year's Gonzaga team has a lot more track record than you do, put up better numbers, and just won a tournament against a very solid Wilmington Charter team. It's early in the season and, as you may have noticed, there are clearly no restrictions to what one cannot say.

Also, I'll echo Fred by saying it's somewhat frowned upon to just make posts bragging about your own team (particularly when they're rarely more than a few sentences long).
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

For the record, Gonzaga did not play Wilmington Charter in the playoffs - they beat Stuyvesant C, Hunter A, Stuyvesant A, and finally Mansfield A to take the win. Charter B (the stronger of the two, incidentally) was eliminated by Mansfield in the quarter finals.
Aggie O'Neil
Kimahri

attacks

Post by Aggie O'Neil »

Shouldn't this forum be restricted to those who play HIGH SCHOOL quizbowl in the DC METRO area? After all, we can all agree that teams change dramatically from year to year. Even the former best player in the country might not have any idea about what's going on. Besides, my friend, who worked for you this summer, told me about your daily rants about the GDS captain. Based on what he said, you are in no position to fairly analyze GDS as a team. Therefore, please keep your biased opinions about GDS in Arizona.

Party Hard.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: attacks

Post by Matt Weiner »

Aggie O'Neil wrote:Shouldn't this forum be restricted to those who play HIGH SCHOOL quizbowl in the DC METRO area? After all, we can all agree that teams change dramatically from year to year. Even the former best player in the country might not have any idea about what's going on. Besides, my friend, who worked for you this summer, told me about your daily rants about the GDS captain. Based on what he said, you are in no position to fairly analyze GDS as a team. Therefore, please keep your biased opinions about GDS in Arizona.
Cut it out.
bigtrain
Rikku

Re: attacks

Post by bigtrain »

Aggie O'Neil wrote:Shouldn't this forum be restricted to those who play HIGH SCHOOL quizbowl in the DC METRO area? After all, we can all agree that teams change dramatically from year to year. Even the former best player in the country might not have any idea about what's going on. Besides, my friend, who worked for you this summer, told me about your daily rants about the GDS captain. Based on what he said, you are in no position to fairly analyze GDS as a team. Therefore, please keep your biased opinions about GDS in Arizona.

Party Hard.
Maybe you should wait to understand half the nuances of the game that Chris does before you share any observations.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Discuss.
Hopper wrote:Considering Georgetown Day's 150 point win over Gonzaga in the TJ playoffs, I think it is unfair to say at this point that Gonzaga is better than Georgetown Day. It is still early in the season, but based on the results of actual games between the two teams, one cannot say that Gonzaga is superior.

Party Hard.
1) Decide on an account. Stop using three or else I will ban you.
2) Don't tell people to not discuss your team. You can refute their statements. You can't refute their ability to make them.
3) Personal attacks are WAY COOL.
4) This forum is open to discussion from all people with any opinions on the relevant topic, not to a select few. If I saw a team from Missouri play, I'd be able to go into the Missouri thread and comment even though I'm not in the Show Me State Buzzer Club or whatever. Don't tell people what to discuss becuase that's a moderator's job and you sure aren't one of those.
5) Once again, knock it off before I ban you. Thanks.

~Mgmt
segregold
Wakka

Post by segregold »

Kudos to the above for kicking ass.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Shouldn't this forum be restricted to those who play HIGH SCHOOL quizbowl in the DC METRO area? After all, we can all agree that teams change dramatically from year to year. Even the former best player in the country might not have any idea about what's going on. Besides, my friend, who worked for you this summer, told me about your daily rants about the GDS captain. Based on what he said, you are in no position to fairly analyze GDS as a team. Therefore, please keep your biased opinions about GDS in Arizona.
Yeah, I hate it when college players and coaches make those stupid posts. I wish all posters could demonstrate the maturity and intellect displayed by high school posters (party hard!)

I think you just got thoroughly told by Fred, so I'm going to keep this brief, but if you were actually paying attention, you would have noticed that all I did was 1) point out that the current Gonzaga players/team have a proven track record, 2) won a tournament that was posted for all to see and 3) remarked that the GDS guy (who, I infer from Fred's statements, is you) should stop making 100% of his/your posts talking about how awesome his/your team is. Even if your misguided, illogical argument were accepted, nothing I said even pretends to draw on a knowledge of this year's DC metro area anyway. In conclusion, drop this pointless distraction from actual discussion that I have now stooped to continuing.

On a slightly more relevant note (designed in a futile attempt to disguise this post as something more than pure negativity): I've been wondering why I never see Shady Side going to any major metro area events. Where are you guys?
bigmac
Lulu

Post by bigmac »

Sure, it wasn't exactly in the DC Metro area, but the tournament at UVA today involved many of these teams. . .

Quick results:
1. Gov A 11-0
2. TJ A 10-1
3. RM A 10-1
4. Gonzaga 9-2

The final between Gov and TJ was extremely close and so was the semi between Gonzaga and TJ, from what I heard. We lost to an excellent Gov team in our semi by 5 points. The playoffs were filled with close matches; our quarterfinal against strong newcomer Stuyvesant came down to the last two questions. I do not know what the official results were after 4th place, but Stewvy would certainly be in my top five. Ted and his Gonzaga looked good today as well. They certainly paid our B team in spades back for a loss from earlier in the year. Speaking of which, our B team managed to shake off that rough start and finish in the top 8. They, too, played some exciting, close games in the playoffs, losing a consolation game to Gov B.

The tournament questions emphasized lit, religion, philosophy, and music. There were some repeats, but readers were good about fixing any problems. We had one reader who made up a bonus on the spot at the end of a game. . . the sad thing is that we only got ten out of thirty on it.

Did anyone else go to the fantastic Ethiopian restaurant?
RM coach
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Four excellent teams! Four classy teams! The UVA tournament certainly proved that. But, this tournament did little to resolve the question of who is is the best DC metro area team. Maggie Walker's narrow wins against Richard Montgomery in the semifinals by 5 points and against Thomas Jefferson by 10 points in the finals could have easily gone the other way. Both games were nip and tuck to the bitter end.

MW may have actually lost the final game if not for a buzzer malfunction early in the game that caused a toss-up to be thrown out. It is quite possible that TJ's Evan beat MW's Evan's buzz on the original question. But, since it was not obvious, TJ's Evan gracioiusly consented to the question being replaced.

Those who have been saying that TJ is having an off year better think again. This is the first time we have seen them this year in a NAQT or PACE style tournament. They are a dangerous team that should definitely be a contender at nationals.

Although we still don't know the best team in the DC Metro region, we can probably start narrowing it down to a shorter list. I predict that the four aforementioned teams will all be high finishers at nationals. Unlike recent years, there is no clear favorite either in the region or in the nation.
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

This year looks to be as close as ever. There is no run away favorite like in years past. In our semi-final against TJ neither team's lead exceeded 50 points until the last question. And if I hadn't made a foolish mental error in a math problem then we could of won that game.
This should silence TJ's naysayers. They look just as good as ever and Evan played as well in our semi-final as any player I've seen in the country in so far this year.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

Results from Centennial:

1- Gov
2- Gonzaga
3- TJ B
4- TJ A

Quarter-finalists: WJ, Blake, Whitman A, and Severna Park.

The final four was very tightly contested. The score of our semi-final win against TJ A was 355-275, and the final game between us and Gov was tied after toss-up fifteen with Gov pulling away in the end to win by 45. Congrats to Gov for a well played final round and a well deserved win.
Overall it was a good tournament except for a few repeats and a few weird bonuses.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

How would people who were at GSAC evaluate Dorman's performace? Who beat them in the playoffs?
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Dorman was definitely solid as they had the highest PPG of the prelims. I believe they lost to State College in the semis then Chattahoochee in the third place game.
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

I can verify the information above. Full playoff results will follow soon, but Dorman was seeded first after prelims, just a few PPG ahead of TJ A, so they did quite well there. I didn't get to see them play any matches, but I did see many score sheets. State College beat them in the semifinals by a little over 100 if I recall correctly. In the third place game, they negged the last three questions, ultimately losing by 20. That game easily could've gone the other way, though. I am very sorry Gonzaga and RM couldn't make it. I did try to seek out other dates, but none worked within the school's schedule. Stats and full results should be ready in the next few days.
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

Was State College missing anyone, or did they have their full team? After SC's performance at TJ's tournament, I expected them to be seeded first after the prelims.
I guess this is just another testiment to how close the DC Metro area is this year as no real dominanat team has emerged yet. We beat TJ, who beat SC, who beat Gov, who beat us. Needless to say it should be one of the most tightly contested Nationals in the last few years.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

State College was full strength, I am pretty sure. The game was very close and evenly matched. We secured victory only on the last question. As everyone has been saying, it is an exciting year to be playing DMV quiz bowl.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Yeah I kept score for State College's first playoff game, against an understrength Walter Johnson (at least missing one starter, since they had only 3 players), who actually were beating SC near halftime. Then SC manage to pull away a bit and in the end they won by 110 in a fairly high scoring game. So the fact that WJ gave them a good game understrength is a testament to how close the whole east coast scene is this year.

By the way in the one game I moderated for Chattahoochee their knowledge base looked incredible for a hard question set. They 30'ed about half their bonuses I think.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

This is irrelevant, but may I say: You were Matt Morrison!? I was expecting an eccentric (judging from your posts), but you looked like normal, nice person.

It seems that there is a wall between the excellent schools (such as RM, Gov, TJ, Gonzaga) and the good schools (Whitman, Blake, WJ, for instance). Looking at the stats, I don't think it's rare that the "good" teams are few tossups away from beating the "excellent" teams . . . but in the end, the excellent teams almost always prevail. We often go home saying, "hey, if we had that tossup and that bonus, we would have beaten that team! We aren't that bad!" but each tournament, we always realize that indeed the wall is there.
The only instance I recall the underdog beating the top team is QO against TJ at Blake.

WJ basically has two starters because unfortunately, the commitment of the other 18 or so members are sporadic.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

aestheteboy wrote:This is irrelevant, but may I say: You were Matt Morrison!? I was expecting an eccentric (judging from your posts), but you looked like normal, nice person.
Pffffttt hahahahahaha
Djibouti
Wakka

Post by Djibouti »

Results from today's tournament at Eleanor Roosevelt (It's Academic format):

1. Richard Montgomery A
2. Perry Hall A
3. Whitman A
4. Langley A
5-8 (In order of playoff seeding): Gonzaga A (3), RM B (4), WJ (7), Paul VI (9).

Richard Montgomery is a very good school (though it seems many people have seen that already). RM A beat Maret B (16), Paul VI (9), Langley A (5), and finally PH A; Perry Hall beat Resevoir A (6), Gonzaga (3), and Whitman A (2), before losing to RM A in the finals.

I was very pleased with Perry Hall's team performance today. Props are due for RM A - great job!
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

Brief results from TJ:

1- Maggie Walker A
2- Raleigh Charter A
3- RM A
4- Wilmington Charter A
5- State College A
6- Gonzaga
7- Whitman A
8- RM B

Richard from Robinson won the individual high scorer, with myself placing second, Casey from Blake placing third, and someone from Covenant rounding out the top four.

Overall it was a very good tournament, with a lot of close games. I know our quarter-final game against Maggie Walker was decided by twenty points with a protest on the last question and I hear that State College lost their quarter-final game with Wilmignton Charter by only 5 points.

Personally I was the most impressed with RM and Maggie Walker with both showing a wide range of knowledge in the game we played against them.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Very exciting tournament, and the results of the top 8 could probably have been scrambled around to get a different combination depending on a very small number of questions in the elimination rounds. A very good surprise effort from the Charters and it proves on any given packet, anything could happen.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

This discussion might be more appropriate in the national comparisons thread, since the field had a national feel to it, or at least a broader regional feel, with the top six teams all being from different states. I agree with Dr. Chuck that the final ranking could easily have been much different. We felt fortunate to have won the tournament.

Our game against Richard Montgomery A in the semifinals came down to the last question. We were down 25 going into the final question, so we had to convert at least two bonus parts to get the win. The packet only contained 18 questions, so who knows what the result of two more questions might have been.

Our playoff game against Gonzaga was even closer as we literally won by a single word. When prompted, a Gonzaga player failed to provide a numerical adjective to a certain war.

In addition to those two teams and others, I was impressed with Richard Montgomery B who gave our A team its only loss on the day. RM B put together an excellent comeback from a significant deficit in that game.